Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Minnesota Gets "Idaho Stop" | Starting Aug 1, 2023

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 05-23-23, 09:22 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts

I'm very excited to see this! Minnesota has had many misguided police issuing tickets for failing to make complete stops, some of the worst offenders are on bike trails in wealthy communities. For example, Minnetonka Beach has placed stop signs on the Dakota Trails at every single-family home's driveway and their tiny police department has spent time/energy ticketing trail users for failing to make complete stops. I'm interested to hear from those that live in states that have adopted the Idaho Stop, have the police stopped harassing people on bikes for rolling a stop sign at an empty interception?

https://www.axios.com/local/twin-cit...op-bicycle-law
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 05-23-23, 09:25 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
As far as I know, my local police force has not made a practice of stopping cyclists. I guess they are addressing other problems.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 05-23-23, 09:34 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 570 Posts
Doesn't seem that cops around here care as long as you aren't violating someone's ROW.
Likes For jon c.:
Old 05-23-23, 01:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,910 Times in 1,884 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I'm very excited to see this! Minnesota has had many misguided police issuing tickets for failing to make complete stops, some of the worst offenders are on bike trails in wealthy communities. For example, Minnetonka Beach has placed stop signs on the Dakota Trails at every single-family home's driveway and their tiny police department has spent time/energy ticketing trail users for failing to make complete stops. I'm interested to hear from those that live in states that have adopted the Idaho Stop, have the police stopped harassing people on bikes for rolling a stop sign at an empty interception?

https://www.axios.com/local/twin-cit...op-bicycle-law
that would not be respected here. Rebellion would happen.

We do need to adopt that Idaho stop. It only makes sense.
Old 05-26-23, 06:49 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
I'm interested to hear from those that live in states that have adopted the Idaho Stop. Have the police stopped harassing people on bikes for rolling a stop sign?
Here in WA state, we got the new law a couple years ago. It's great that there is no longer a legal requirement to stop for ghosts, but I never did anyway. I guess I feel better about the way other cyclists and auto drivers perceive my rolling a stop.

Cops also used to give folks a hard time when not wearing a helmet, but that's no longer an issue either. Many things have changed since 2020 (Covid, George Floyd), and the lack of a strong police force in Seattle is a key issue. It seems like the common sentiment is that unless a serious felony is involved, anything goes.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-27-23, 09:45 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,295 Times in 7,229 Posts
Cyclists themselves might have to get used to it. I was riding in Idaho in both 2017 and 2019. I like to obey traffic laws when on tour, especially in small towns. Twice I had to laugh at myself when I realized that I was waiting for green lights when there was no traffic around. I had also been stopping at stop signs while riding around town. 🤦‍♂️ You’re in Idaho, dummy!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-29-23, 05:46 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Here in WA state, we got the new law a couple years ago. It's great that there is no longer a legal requirement to stop for ghosts, but I never did anyway. I guess I feel better about the way other cyclists and auto drivers perceive my rolling a stop.

Cops also used to give folks a hard time when not wearing a helmet, but that's no longer an issue either. Many things have changed since 2020 (Covid, George Floyd), and the lack of a strong police force in Seattle is a key issue. It seems like the common sentiment is that unless a serious felony is involved, anything goes.
Let me add that the mandatory helmet law was repealed mainly because it was found to have been disproportionally applied to POC. I believe they made the right call to repeal it. I also like the new Safety Stop law. Like you, I have been rolling stop signs. It feels good not to have to break a law to be safe.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 05-30-23, 08:48 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
...have the police stopped harassing people on bikes for rolling a stop sign at an empty interception?

You have LAWS there? People OBEY them??? That is SO adorable!

https://www.wdsu.com/article/new-orleans-illegal-motorcycles/40013137
Old 05-30-23, 09:02 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by JoeyBike

My friend and colleague was killed crossing the street by a hit-and-run driver in New Orleans on Mother's Day, it appears Mad Max rules have taken over in New Orleans.

We are seeing crime coming down in the Twin Cities, and traffic policing is getting better. but out my office window, I watch a MUP crossing at a three-way stop on a quiet residential street ... vehicles on the street rarely stop, local PD will park next to my house to ticket the worst offenders. But it's just a drop in the bucket with the amount of lawlessness on the roads these days.

To the point of the OP, there have been police in the Twin Cities that have issued tickets for trail-users going over the 'speed limit' and for rolling a stop sign without a car around. To you're point, the police don't seem to give a s**t about trails any more ... kinda good thing?
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 05-30-23, 09:19 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

My friend and colleague was killed crossing the street by a hit-and-run driver in New Orleans on Mother's Day, it appears Mad Max rules have taken over in New Orleans.
That's terrible! Very often this happens to ppl from out of town, law abiding places. They proceed on a green light or a Walk sign without looking for those 2 or 3 cars that will run just about every red light. Locals generally don't budge when a light turns green until all of the cross traffic stops completely. NOLA should def come with a warning label about this. Also, Canal and Rampart at 6am is a great spot to get mugged.

Sorry you lost a friend.
Old 05-30-23, 11:27 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts

I have no idea what it would take to get a cop to issue a traffic ticket in NOLA.
Old 05-30-23, 12:30 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5219 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
jealous

Cyclists in Massachusetts are subject to the same traffic laws and regulations as other drivers and the state does not recognize the “Idaho Stop” modification, meaning that cyclists cannot ride through a stale red light.

but I've never been approached by a cop, while I was on a bike & I do the Idaho thing all the time
Old 05-30-23, 12:34 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
jealous

Cyclists in Massachusetts are subject to the same traffic laws and regulations as other drivers and the state does not recognize the “Idaho Stop” modification, meaning that cyclists cannot ride through a stale red light.

but I've never been approached by a cop, while I was on a bike & I do the Idaho thing all the time
Here in WA, the Safe Stop law only allows people on bike to treat stop signs as yield signs. In other words, we're still legally required to stop and wait at red lights. I'm not sure what the practical differences are, though I'd imgine running a red light will raise more eyebrows than running a stop sign.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Likes For daihard:
Old 05-30-23, 01:09 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 768 Posts
I also practice the Idaho Stop and have even done it in front of a cop. As long as you're not blowing thru and forcing others to hit the brakes, you have a very good chance of not being the subject of harassment. I would think this is true in every state.

EDIT: I stop at all red lights and don't proceed until it's green

Likes For work4bike:
Old 05-30-23, 05:43 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by daihard
Here in WA, the Safe Stop law only allows people on bike to treat stop signs as yield signs. In other words, we're still legally required to stop and wait at red lights. I'm not sure what the practical differences are, though I'd imgine running a red light will raise more eyebrows than running a stop sign.
oh, hmmm, it seems I was considering the 2 things (stop sign / stop light) the same situation, but they are not
Old 05-31-23, 06:46 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

That's terrible! Very often this happens to ppl from out of town, law abiding places. They proceed on a green light or a Walk sign without looking for those 2 or 3 cars that will run just about every red light. Locals generally don't budge when a light turns green until all of the cross traffic stops completely. NOLA should def come with a warning label about this. Also, Canal and Rampart at 6am is a great spot to get mugged.

Sorry you lost a friend.
Thanks for the condolences. It's just so senseless.
Old 05-31-23, 07:37 AM
rumrunn6

on my way to work, what we call Metrowest (Boston suburbs outside route 128), I saw 2 uniformed cops standing roadside, miles apart, & 1 cruiser. none together. seemed like maybe the officers on foot were waiting for something. maybe distracted drivers? to pull over, on foot? I guess Springtime brings new traffic related injuries & deaths & they have some new tactics to try. also saw some new cyclist commuters. maybe there have been some complaints, from whoever?
Old 05-31-23, 07:44 AM
rumrunn6

My friend and colleague was killed crossing the street by a hit-and-run driver in New Orleans on Mother's Day,
oh man, so sorry to hear this. wishing you & other friends & family strength right now & nothing but the best memories

my next door neighbor passed away (in his home, we think from alcohol poisoning) & the lights are still on in his house. I can see in his windows, things like his kitchen dish cloth, where he left it hanging on his oven handle. we weren't close friends, just neighbors that had short occasional pleasantries, but the loss of life is surreal. can hardly believe he is gone & not just sick in a hospital. just so senseless
Old 05-31-23, 09:01 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh man, so sorry to hear this. wishing you & other friends & family strength right now & nothing but the best memories

my next door neighbor passed away (in his home, we think from alcohol poisoning) & the lights are still on in his house. I can see in his windows, things like his kitchen dish cloth, where he left it hanging on his oven handle. we weren't close friends, just neighbors that had short occasional pleasantries, but the loss of life is surreal. can hardly believe he is gone & not just sick in a hospital. just so senseless
Thanks for the kind words. It's hard to process for sure. Take care!
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 06-01-23, 07:48 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Coincidentally to this thread, just today I was crossing a roadway where two 4-lane roads meet with bike lanes, sidewalks, and Walk/Don't walk signage. I always look at the traffic (not necessarily the signal), but generally I might glance up at the signal also, but today I "thought" I had a green light. My traffic check showed zero traffic behind me and to my left two vehicles dead stopped facing me from the other side of the intersection. All is well right? So i cross in the bike lane and immediately hear a loud engine gunning directly behind me close enough to startle me. I mean, the entire world was stopped except for me when I crossed. My first thought was "Did I mess up and run a stale red light?" It was a dark SUV that startled me but not so close as to be a collision concern, just LOUD and unexpected.

I looked back to see the SUV taking off down the road crossing my lane behind me. His/her light was coal red, the rest of the traffic where he/she started was still dead stopped. My light was green as grass. So I guess the SUV pulled an Idaho Stop. Pretty common here in NOLA.

Just to be clear, it wasn't a danger to me. Just wasn't expecting to hear a car roaring up behind me since the coast was clear two seconds earlier.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-01-23 at 07:51 PM.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 06-08-23, 12:17 PM
Zara Sp00k

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

We are seeing crime coming down in the Twin Cities, and traffic policing is getting better. but out my office window, I watch a MUP crossing at a three-way stop on a quiet residential street ... vehicles on the street rarely stop, local PD will park next to my house to ticket the worst offenders. But it's just a drop in the bucket with the amount of lawlessness on the roads these days.

To the point of the OP, there have been police in the Twin Cities that have issued tickets for trail-users going over the 'speed limit' and for rolling a stop sign without a car around. To you're point, the police don't seem to give a s**t about trails any more ... kinda good thing?
You've actually seen Minneapolis police on the street? I have not seen one in the past 3 years, they are all busy investigating murders on the north side, where you'd have to be on THC at the minimum to ride a bike. I don't doubt in the more "exclusive" (as the residents would like to think) areas cops have nothing to do except respond to citizens concerns, like bikes not stopping at stop signs.
When I was in Milwaukee a similar thing, cops where too busy investigating murders to do anything else, but in nearby Shorewood I saw them helping a motorist change a tire. The only crime there is wearing brown shoes with a black suit.
I'm pretty sure they will stop enforcing stop signs laws entirely, no doubt POC get ticketed for it at a higher rate, the real question is will they legalize murder, since it too is disproportionately .... you get the idea.
Old 06-08-23, 12:29 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Zara Sp00k
You've actually seen Minneapolis police on the street? I have not seen one in the past 3 years, they are all busy investigating murders on the north side, where you'd have to be on THC at the minimum to ride a bike. I don't doubt in the more "exclusive" (as the residents would like to think) areas cops have nothing to do except respond to citizens concerns, like bikes not stopping at stop signs.
When I was in Milwaukee a similar thing, cops where too busy investigating murders to do anything else, but in nearby Shorewood I saw them helping a motorist change a tire. The only crime there is wearing brown shoes with a black suit.
I'm pretty sure they will stop enforcing stop signs laws entirely, no doubt POC get ticketed for it at a higher rate, the real question is will they legalize murder, since it too is disproportionately .... you get the idea.
This is Minnesota wide, not just Minneapolis. We agree, the MPD has been MIA since June 2020.

I biked North Minneapolis yesterday (Plymouth Ave between Theo and the river), and ride North Minneapolis regularly, not single issue, none. But in St Paul on that same ride, I had a driver threaten me with their pickup while swearing at me.

Shorewood is one of the police departments that has issued moving violation tickets for people biking the Lake Minnetonka Trail for failing to make a complete stop. Also Minnetonka Beach on the Dakota Trail ... and years ago Hopkins was issuing tickets to trail users too. I hope we can see these bored suburban cops changing more tires and not issuing pointless tickets to folks on bikes.
Old 06-08-23, 03:21 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
Lucky. California's been trying to pass that law, but Newsome keeps vetoing it "for safety reasons"; he's been listening to the police unions. It's passed both houses, again; third time's the charm?
Likes For Korina: