Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Off bike shoes?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Off bike shoes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-22, 12:15 PM
HendersonD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Off bike shoes?

I am starting a Transamerica tour on May 5th and will be using Bontrager clipless shoes while on the bike. Once I am off the bike, hopefully in early to mid afternoon, I will change out of the bike shoes into something else until the next morning when I start riding again. Trying to decide what one other pair of shoes I should bring with me. Some of the candidates I am considering are below. I will be mostly camping with one night in hotel every week to 10 days. Your thoughts?

Keen Newport sandals - 30.8 ounces per pair

Altra Lone Peak 6 - 24.0 ounces per pair

Crocs - 12.2 ounces per pair

Old 03-21-22, 12:26 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
A lot depends on what you're planning to do off the bike. I like to take a pair of Teva sandals on a tour, where they double as shower shoes and, with wool socks, sneakers for light duty walking. Of the three choices you show, I'd go with the Crocs first, though they don't feel particularly good on my feet for lots of walking.

If you're planning to do some fairly serious hiking in rocky canyons or badlands, the Altra might work well. Does it have decent arch support? (Or are you one of those lucky people who can hike in flip-flops?)

The Keen, if it's like my Keen bike sandals, is the worst of all worlds. Heavy, lets sand and gravel in, and not very good as a shower shoe because it traps water in those numerous straps.
Old 03-21-22, 12:32 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
A friend of mine usually uses crocs. I have changed over time but last few tours used Merrill Moab waterproof hiking shoes. But I also bring a lightweight pair of Teva sandals that I can use as shower shoes or if in hot weather, wear in the campsite. Nobody calls me a light weight traveler.

Note that I use pedals that are SPD cleat on one side, platform on the other so I can use any of my footwear on the bike. There have been some days when my cycling shoes are wet from several days of rain and once the rain quit I could change to a dry pair of shoes and let my cycle shoes dry out for a day. Thus, I like my off bike shoes to have stiff enough soles that they are comfortable to use on pedals for a full day if desired.

Some only bring one pair of shoes for everything. A friend of mine used to do that but after having soaked shoes for about three or four days, he started having foot problems and we had to stop for a couple days until his feet got better.
Old 03-21-22, 12:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Look at some models from Xero. E.g.,:

Speed Force - Men - Xero Shoes

I am currently using an older version of these:

Mesa Trail - "Best Minimalist, Men's Trail Running Shoe" - Xero Shoes

One nice thing is that they pack down pretty flat.

I have a pair of Keen's like those shown. Ridiculously heavy.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-21-22, 12:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4803 Post(s)
Liked 3,927 Times in 2,553 Posts
I carried Teva sandals for several week-long Cycle Oregons because riding velcro strapped shoes on the fix gear took such a toll on my feet on the mountain days. With sandals, I could give my feet freedom during rest stops. The red bag inside the Lezyne WB cage under the DT.) Held in place with a toestrap running under the cage between the bosses and through a strap sewn to the bag. ( Never want it to catch the crank! Not on a fix gear going 45 mph.) My first Tevas, bought for that job. Came to love them, have three pairs now and are one of my regular foot wares.

Old 03-21-22, 01:29 PM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by pdlamb
A lot depends on what you're planning to do off the bike. I like to take a pair of Teva sandals on a tour, where they double as shower shoes and, with wool socks, sneakers for light duty walking. Of the three choices you show, I'd go with the Crocs first, though they don't feel particularly good on my feet for lots of walking.

If you're planning to do some fairly serious hiking in rocky canyons or badlands, the Altra might work well. Does it have decent arch support? (Or are you one of those lucky people who can hike in flip-flops?)

The Keen, if it's like my Keen bike sandals, is the worst of all worlds. Heavy, lets sand and gravel in, and not very good as a shower shoe because it traps water in those numerous straps.
The Keens are not the SPD sandals they sell, just the regular Newport sandals. I already own a pair and they are very comfortable. The big down size is their weight. Off bike I might do a little walking around town, hiking, and maybe even a little biking if the campsite or hotel I am at is a distance from a grocery store.
Old 03-21-22, 01:32 PM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
A friend of mine usually uses crocs. I have changed over time but last few tours used Merrill Moab waterproof hiking shoes. But I also bring a lightweight pair of Teva sandals that I can use as shower shoes or if in hot weather, wear in the campsite. Nobody calls me a light weight traveler.

Note that I use pedals that are SPD cleat on one side, platform on the other so I can use any of my footwear on the bike. There have been some days when my cycling shoes are wet from several days of rain and once the rain quit I could change to a dry pair of shoes and let my cycle shoes dry out for a day. Thus, I like my off bike shoes to have stiff enough soles that they are comfortable to use on pedals for a full day if desired.

Some only bring one pair of shoes for everything. A friend of mine used to do that but after having soaked shoes for about three or four days, he started having foot problems and we had to stop for a couple days until his feet got better.
My pedals are also double sided so I can use my Bontrager biking shoes with cleats but can also bike using regular shoes. I hope to do little biking with flats though. Even if my cycling shoes are wet I cannot imagine biking with my other choice in shoes for 50+ miles in one day. The Keens do have the stiffest sole followed by the Crocs and Altra (in essence a sneaker/running shoe) with a softer sole. I am really trying to just bring my cycling shoes and one other pair

Last edited by HendersonD; 03-21-22 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-21-22, 01:34 PM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I carried Teva sandals for several week-long Cycle Oregons because riding velcro strapped shoes on the fix gear took such a toll on my feet on the mountain days. With sandals, I could give my feet freedom during rest stops. The red bag inside the Lezyne WB cage under the DT.) Held in place with a toestrap running under the cage between the bosses and through a strap sewn to the bag. ( Never want it to catch the crank! Not on a fix gear going 45 mph.) My first Tevas, bought for that job. Came to love them, have three pairs now and are one of my regular foot wares.

Perhaps I should try a pair of Tevas. Use to have a pair years ago. My only concern is they are open toe. I tend to like something that is closed toe
Old 03-21-22, 01:35 PM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Look at some models from Xero. E.g.,:

Speed Force - Men - Xero Shoes

I am currently using an older version of these:

Mesa Trail - "Best Minimalist, Men's Trail Running Shoe" - Xero Shoes

One nice thing is that they pack down pretty flat.

I have a pair of Keen's like those shown. Ridiculously heavy.
How is the toe box on those Xero shoes? How are they comfort wise?
Old 03-21-22, 02:20 PM
str

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked 487 Times in 236 Posts
Decathlon Beach Shoes 😂 super-LIGHT and zero VOLUME

Likes For str:
Old 03-21-22, 02:55 PM
HendersonD

I have an older pair of Crocs that I rarely wear but have decided to wear them a lot over the next few days. This will give me a good sense whether they would work as a good off bike shoe. Certainly they are light at 12.2 ounces per pair and are nearly indestructible
Old 03-21-22, 03:11 PM
boomhauer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Just bring one pair of shoes. Maybe it will be fine.
If it isn't fine, buy some cheap tennis shoes at the dollar store/general/etc... , which are everywhere.
Old 03-21-22, 03:27 PM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I love teva for my needs. They are great for wearing around off the bike, showers, with or without socks for a hike, and also good to wade streams to fish (I'l usually carry a 4 piece fly rod). Use dual side pedals (spd/platform) and will wear them on the bike as well. I may think different about the extra weigh if I were doing a longer or cross country - although not sure I could without a fishing rod.
Old 03-21-22, 03:28 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I ave done a variety of things on different tours. Crocs worked out okay on the TA for us. Crocs are so easy to kick on or off when getting in and out of the tent. The best choice depends on how much and what kind of off bike walking and hiking you will do. They are okay for moderate hiking.

If there is one particular area where you expect to do a lot of hiking on more rugged terrain you can buy a pair of trail runners and mail them home when done with that area, I did that before. Something like a week in Yosemite Valley in the middle of a tour might warrant that.

I have also gone with some really minimal huaraches as second shoes and also just worn my spd shoes for everything a time or two.

If you plan to summit some difficult peaks along the way you may need real boots. That is an unusual special purpose exception though. I have never done that. You can do some fairly aggressive stuff in trail runners.
Old 03-21-22, 04:03 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked 1,817 Times in 1,057 Posts
Remember Lachlan Morton, the cat who raced the professional ToF peloton to Paris last summer and beat them by five days (by riding basically round-the-clock)? Yeah, his cycling shoes became too painful to ride in, so he finished his ultra-marathon ride in Croc slides:

Old 03-21-22, 04:19 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by HendersonD
How is the toe box on those Xero shoes? How are they comfort wise?
Both are good. I’m a tall, relatively heavy guy. I have no problem walking around on concrete wearing them.

Mine are at work.l right now. I’ll check on Wednesday, but I think they run a little large size-wise.
Old 03-21-22, 04:21 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Here's a set I found that don't mind getting wet and also allow ya run for your life if ya have to... $18.00 USD

"clapzovr Mens Sandals Shower Water Shoes Beach Swim Pool River Shoes Comfort Garden Clogs"
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by zandoval; 03-21-22 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-21-22, 04:45 PM
KC8QVO

Bikes: Surly Disk Trucker, 2014 w/Brooks Flyer Special saddle, Tubus racks - Duo front/Logo Evo rear, 2019 Dahon Mariner D8, Both bikes share Ortlieb Packer Plus series panniers, Garmin Edge 1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 99 Posts
I have an earlier version of the Keen Newport closed toe sandals. I really like them. When they wear out I will replace them with what ever the current version is I'm sure.

I got the Keens well before I got in to cycle touring - I got them for backpacking camp shoes. I tried crocks or grogs what ever they are called - the slip on "shoes" - and had terrible results with them as camp shoes. They had no support and I needed support in the woods. The Keen's give enough support I can - and have - backpacked in them instead of my hiking boots. Those are what I wear for water crossings so if trails have a lot of water crossings I just wear the keens and hike in them.

However, as much as I like the keen's I would not recommend them as your sole "off-bike" shoe. If you are going to be in fair weather then some hiking boots would be really nice if it is a bit cooler or if you are walking any significant distance. Waterproof boots would be really nice if you are going to be in much rainy weather. That brings up also good rain gear too, not just footwear.

I will leave the discussion there and to which ever way it steers. I am sure you are going after less options/lighter weight than I would, though I would look at the big picture of your comfort on such a trip and if footwear is going to be an important part of that for you then I say you treat yourself and don't cut out options simply to save on bulk/weight if you don't have to.

Happy riding and good luck on your trip!
Old 03-21-22, 04:53 PM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by KC8QVO
I have an earlier version of the Keen Newport closed toe sandals. I really like them. When they wear out I will replace them with what ever the current version is I'm sure.

I got the Keens well before I got in to cycle touring - I got them for backpacking camp shoes. I tried crocks or grogs what ever they are called - the slip on "shoes" - and had terrible results with them as camp shoes. They had no support and I needed support in the woods. The Keen's give enough support I can - and have - backpacked in them instead of my hiking boots. Those are what I wear for water crossings so if trails have a lot of water crossings I just wear the keens and hike in them.

However, as much as I like the keen's I would not recommend them as your sole "off-bike" shoe. If you are going to be in fair weather then some hiking boots would be really nice if it is a bit cooler or if you are walking any significant distance. Waterproof boots would be really nice if you are going to be in much rainy weather. That brings up also good rain gear too, not just footwear.

I will leave the discussion there and to which ever way it steers. I am sure you are going after less options/lighter weight than I would, though I would look at the big picture of your comfort on such a trip and if footwear is going to be an important part of that for you then I say you treat yourself and don't cut out options simply to save on bulk/weight if you don't have to.

Happy riding and good luck on your trip!
Thanks, I am looking forward to this long ride. I do not plan on doing much if any hiking off bike. I will certainly be doing some walking as I go from camp to grocery stores and restaurants. Most of the time it will just be walking around the campground or the occasional hotel. If I do opt for Crocs I will be brining a pair of wool socks to wear during colder mornings or evenings
Old 03-21-22, 04:58 PM
mauricesnail 

Bikes: bridgestone mb-1, rb-t, and xo-2

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
+1 for crocs, they're finally getting the credit they deserve
Old 03-21-22, 05:51 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by HendersonD
Thanks, I am looking forward to this long ride. I do not plan on doing much if any hiking off bike. I will certainly be doing some walking as I go from camp to grocery stores and restaurants. Most of the time it will just be walking around the campground or the occasional hotel. If I do opt for Crocs I will be brining a pair of wool socks to wear during colder mornings or evenings
You will probably find you want to do at least a little hiking. Maybe not anything serious hiking wise, but there are some things that require a bit of a hike and would be a shame to miss. Things that come to mind are a soak in Jerry Johnson Hot Springs, various waterfalls, and the view looking down from the back of Grand Prismatic to mention a couple. I found Crocs okay for anything we wanted to hike on the TA. I definitely was not happy with them for the Sierra Cascades when we got to the Yosemite Valley where we decided it was worth a week to hike and sight see. I rarely take days off the bike, but the valley was worth it and buying a pair of shoes for that from the camp store was worth it too.
Old 03-21-22, 08:55 PM
waddo

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I'd say one pair of shoes/sandals for everything. In warm seasons I take keen sandals: I ride, walk through streams, take outdoor showers etc. They quickly dry and are very comfortable.
Old 03-21-22, 11:13 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 617 Times in 344 Posts
I use Solomon XA Pro non-gore tex. They dry quickly and can be used for most walking situations. Then a pair of flip flops
Old 03-22-22, 04:32 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by staehpj1
You will probably find you want to do at least a little hiking. Maybe not anything serious hiking wise, but there are some things that require a bit of a hike and would be a shame to miss.
+1. I’ve done several extended walks/hikes during days on the Trans Am and Northern Tier Routes.

OP: Remember that you will be passing through places like Yellowstone and the Tetons. There may even be nice trails starting at campgrounds.
Old 03-22-22, 05:37 AM
HendersonD

Originally Posted by indyfabz
+1. I’ve done several extended walks/hikes during days on the Trans Am and Northern Tier Routes.

OP: Remember that you will be passing through places like Yellowstone and the Tetons. There may even be nice trails starting at campgrounds.
I will certainly be doing some hiking during my TransAm tour but it will be short distances. I have been to Yellowstone and the Tetons on 3 different occasions and did a good bit of hiking and backpacking while there. For example, the short hike to the view over the grand prismatic can certainly be done even with Crocs. Something like hiking up Mt. Marshall needs something sturdier than Crocs but that is a full day hike preceded by a long bike ride from the Grant campground so I will not be doing anything like this. If I had never been to Yellowstone or the Tetons I would likely stay for several days and do some hiking. I will hike to the grand prismatic, take a swim in the Fire Hole, and keep rolling

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.