Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tubus Logo Rack Skewed to Right

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.
View Poll Results: Should I...
Add a 5mm shim to left side.
0%
Attempt to bend the rack so it's centered.
28.57%
Seek replacement from either Tubus or Bike24 where I bought it.
28.57%
Do nothing because it's not a big deal.
42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-23, 04:44 PM
user2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

My new Tubus Logo Evo Rack is skewed about 5 mm to the right. Left side has 17mm clearance from tire, right side has 22mm with the 2.35" tires I'm running.

Adding a 5mm shim seems like the easiest option, but I worry about the shear stresses on the m5 bolt for for loaded touring. I'm not easy on equipment, and reliability is important to me.

Doing nothing seems okay too, it just bugs me that my load won't be centered and balanced.

I can confirm that the problem is the rack, not the bike frame - I've previously had another unbranded rack and a Tubus Cargo Classic on this bike (Kona Sutra) that were nicely centered.

See post #2 below for pictures.
Old 05-09-23, 04:50 PM
user2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Photos:

Old 05-09-23, 09:40 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
the right support stays appear to either be a tad short, or the mounting bolt hole at the base is drilled too high.
i say that because the rack platform looks to be slightly tilted to the right.
in that case adding a shim or bending the rack probably won't fix the issue.
i doubt it would be a safe option to dremel the left mount hole to lower the left leg.

shouldn't be a problem mechanically, just optically.
you don't see a rear rack while you're riding, so you can ignore it.
if a front rack, would drive some people crazy.

maybe remove the rack and take some precise measurements of leg lengths and hole positions.
then contact the seller or the manufacturer to exchange the defective product if you can't live with it.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 05-10-23, 05:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
My Tubus Ergo front rack is off by about the same amount. Perturbed me greatly for about a week and then I forgot about it.

I agree with Saddlesores on all points he made.

That looks like the EVO version, thus trying to modify the hole on the bottom where it mounts to the dropout would probably not work. I did that on a different brand of rack, but the part where I drilled new holes was a piece of flat plate.
Old 05-10-23, 06:21 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
As that is a rear rack, the skewing is merely a cosmetic issue. With a rear rack you can load 20kg on one side only and once you set off you won't notice it at all. Or rather, the next time you notice it is when you stop and dismount.

That sort of "imbalance" doesn't even matter with a front rack. However with a front rack the cosmetic side is in your face the whole time, which can get irritating. I had that issue with my old LHT, but when I transferred the same Tubus Tara to my current Disc Trucker, the issue disappeared. Yay!
Old 05-10-23, 07:19 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2590 Post(s)
Liked 1,921 Times in 1,205 Posts
Another option would be to crash on the right side and see if that would bend the rack towards the left. Of course you'd then have to deal with a bent derailer hanger, and possibly a messed up derailer. So all in all, I'd look where I was riding and ignore the rack.
Old 05-10-23, 03:13 PM
user2

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
the right support stays appear to either be a tad short, or the mounting bolt hole at the base is drilled too high.
i say that because the rack platform looks to be slightly tilted to the right.
in that case adding a shim or bending the rack probably won't fix the issue.
i doubt it would be a safe option to dremel the left mount hole to lower the left leg.

shouldn't be a problem mechanically, just optically.
you don't see a rear rack while you're riding, so you can ignore it.
if a front rack, would drive some people crazy.

maybe remove the rack and take some precise measurements of leg lengths and hole positions.
then contact the seller or the manufacturer to exchange the defective product if you can't live with it.
You’re right - the right stay is a few mm shorter. Also, the platform itself is wonky and won’t sit flat on a table upside down.

My idea to try and bend the rack would make the platform even less level. I tried adding a 5mm shim, and it fixes the side-to-side tire clearance, but of course the platform is still unlevel.

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
My Tubus Ergo front rack is off by about the same amount. Perturbed me greatly for about a week and then I forgot about it.

I agree with Saddlesores on all points he made.

That looks like the EVO version, thus trying to modify the hole on the bottom where it mounts to the dropout would probably not work. I did that on a different brand of rack, but the part where I drilled new holes was a piece of flat plate.
Yes, it's the EVO version, so there isn't much room to modify the hole.

I think I'm just going to mount it regularly, without shims, and try to forget about it.

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Another option would be to crash on the right side and see if that would bend the rack towards the left. Of course you'd then have to deal with a bent derailer hanger, and possibly a messed up derailer. So all in all, I'd look where I was riding and ignore the rack.
This option is intriguing. I normally try to crash on the left side to protect the derailleur. I will keep this in mind next time I crash.
Old 05-14-23, 05:31 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I ended up bending my Tubus racks to "improve" how everything lined up.
At some point their going to to get moved to another bike and I assume I'll be adjusting them again.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 05-21-23, 11:20 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
I also forced my Tubus rack to center properly. I laid my bike on its side, propped it over a couple of 2x4’s, and applied my weight on the rack. I’ve done this with several other racks over the years…
Likes For roadfix: