Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Trucks on Narrow Twisting Roads

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Trucks on Narrow Twisting Roads

Old 05-22-23, 05:05 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62

What is not comfortable is the name calling and aggressive language of the take the lane at all cost advocates ganging up on Joey. If his road was a feeder to really good cycling roads, I'd take if there were no alternatives but it is not a road I would ride for fun.
What name calling? Who's saying take the lane at all costs?

I usually ride FRAP, but these roads don't look like that's practical, but they also don't look like ones I'd expect trouble on taking the lane.
Old 05-22-23, 06:24 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Take the lane.
No
Old 05-22-23, 06:25 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Stupid comment. Taking the lane is exactly the only strategy for a cyclist.
Only?

Stupid?
Old 05-22-23, 06:26 AM
GhostRider62

Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Maybe you should get in touch with the local bike club in Greenville - Home - The Greenville Spinners Bicycle Club
And stop being so paranoid. I ride a lot in the Spartanburg area, and other than one distracted driver (and that can happen anywhere nowadays) I've had zero issues.
Alternatively, there's always public transportation. Just try to get on a bus that promises not to crash.
Paranoid?

How many dead cyclists have you known.
Old 05-23-23, 06:12 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 746 Times in 390 Posts
SC/Greenville is home to many ex pro cyclists that seem to ride 40-60 miles per day out on the more rural local roads...

Follow Hincapie on Strava - you will learn many routes that seem to be heavily traveled by cyclists.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 05-23-23, 08:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Only?

Stupid?

In fairness, the comment he was calling stupid (not the commenter, BTW) asserted that taking the lane is a bad strategy because deer get hit by cars. It was a complete non sequitur.

You can quibble with the word "only", but I think the only two reasonable alternatives in the two situations pictured is either take the lane or don't ride that stretch. YMMV, but that's hardly asserting to do it at "any cost."
Old 05-23-23, 08:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Paranoid?

Do you want to start a pretty weird contest? Sorry, but Joey's postings have been overly alarmist for several years now. I don't think there's a particular number of dead cyclists one has to know to have an opinion about that.

Honestly, what's the point of this whole thread? "OMG, there's trucks on narrow roads there!"
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-23-23, 09:19 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
My preference for riding is low speed, lightly traveled back roads much like the one pictured. They tend to be narrow and in many parts of the country, they are winding. The threat that Joey was pointing out is relatively manageable. It's not like the big noisy truck is going to sneak up on you. For that matter a passenger car won't either, as long as you aren't budded up or otherwise listening to music or such. I am not at all opposed to removing myself from the road if I develop apprehension that a driver may round a blind bend at a safe speed.

I am also not opposed to removing myself from the road if it appears that two large heavy vehicles traveling in opposite directions may converge on me at the same time. The below road is a 55 MPH road. My default position is center lane. I am wearing bright colors and maybe burning a tail light. When two large dirt haulers were approaching from opposite directions I dismounted my bike, picked it up and stepped off the road with it.

I also have a bail out plan with each vehicle that approaches from behind. I figure running off the road as a latch ditch effort to avoid being hit is better than being hit. I monitor them closely as they approach. Most drivers will drift over early in the game.
Old 05-23-23, 09:33 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
My preference for riding is low speed, lightly traveled back roads much like the one pictured. They tend to be narrow and in many parts of the country, they are winding. The threat that Joey was pointing out is relatively manageable. It's not like the big noisy truck is going to sneak up on you. For that matter a passenger car won't either, as long as you aren't budded up or otherwise listening to music or such. I am not at all opposed to removing myself from the road if I develop apprehension that a driver may round a blind bend at a safe speed.

I am also not opposed to removing myself from the road if it appears that two large heavy vehicles traveling in opposite directions may converge on me at the same time. The below road is a 55 MPH road. My default position is center lane. I am wearing bright colors and maybe burning a tail light. When two large dirt haulers were approaching from opposite directions I dismounted my bike, picked it up and stepped off the road with it.

I also have a bail out plan with each vehicle that approaches from behind. I figure running off the road as a latch ditch effort to avoid being hit is better than being hit. I monitor them closely as they approach. Most drivers will drift over early in the game.
I think this is one where there is definitely more than one way to ride it. I would, depending on the quality of pavement and where the brush is overhanging, probably stay slightly to the right of the white line. I'm not a big fan of the dismount as I think the likelihood of tripping is, for me, a bit above zero. One needs to know one's own strengths and weaknesses!
Old 05-23-23, 10:02 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think this is one where there is definitely more than one way to ride it. I would, depending on the quality of pavement and where the brush is overhanging, probably stay slightly to the right of the white line. I'm not a big fan of the dismount as I think the likelihood of tripping is, for me, a bit above zero. One needs to know one's own strengths and weaknesses!
You are spot on about how far the vegetation encroaches onto the road. In the place where I dismounted, it was out to the white line, and there was no pavement to the right of the white line. The pressure wave of the truck was substantial even as I stood some 6-7 feet away. I would not have wanted to experience it at closer distances while mounted. If two autos were coming from opposite directions and there was goo asphalt to the right of the line, I would have moved over. Otherwise with a single car approaching from behind, it's mid lane until they start to move over, then I move far right as well.
Old 05-23-23, 10:37 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You are spot on about how far the vegetation encroaches onto the road. In the place where I dismounted, it was out to the white line, and there was no pavement to the right of the white line. The pressure wave of the truck was substantial even as I stood some 6-7 feet away. I would not have wanted to experience it at closer distances while mounted. If two autos were coming from opposite directions and there was goo asphalt to the right of the line, I would have moved over. Otherwise with a single car approaching from behind, it's mid lane until they start to move over, then I move far right as well.

These things are so situational and riding styles/confidence varies so much, that I think trying to lay down a particular rule for all riders in all situations is absurd (I think we agree on that). I know that on the 55 mph roads I ride on in NH, I've never seen anyone ride in the lane except to set themselves up for a left-hand turn from a turn lane, and the only guy I see who does that around here is me. I don't see a lot of 55 mph roads up here with as little traffic as is in the picture, I'd find it hard to get enough of a gap just to get into the lane. Getting into the left turn lane often includes a wait on the side of the road for a gap to open up.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-23-23, 10:45 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by livedarklions
These things are so situational and riding styles/confidence varies so much, that I think trying to lay down a particular rule for all riders in all situations is absurd (I think we agree on that). I know that on the 55 mph roads I ride on in NH, I've never seen anyone ride in the lane except to set themselves up for a left-hand turn from a turn lane, and the only guy I see who does that around here is me. I don't see a lot of 55 mph roads up here with as little traffic as is in the picture, I'd find it hard to get enough of a gap just to get into the lane. Getting into the left turn lane often includes a wait on the side of the road for a gap to open up.
Ha, I almost wrote that the described style really won't work in moderate or heavy traffic density situations. I am fortunate that the roads I most frequently ride have good shoulders, bike lanes, low speed or light traffic. Narrow lanes, 45+MPH and moderate to heavy traffic would stress the hell out of me.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 07-03-23, 07:50 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Here's another beauty I found. Lanes are a little wider than the OP photo but what EVIL GENIUS puts a sheer curb at the edge of a roadway?
Flood control especially in the street view you submitted. We are getting a new expansion to 4 lanes on US 1 here in South Carolina and they also put a curb in and when I asked, it was for flood control, Yes, I hate them as a cyclist as it gives no good way to bail if you must.

And Greenville is def the cycling capital of South Carolina with a good trail system and really good road bicycling like old US 25 to Saluda, NC, Paris Mountain or if you like flats, the Swamp Rabbit. Locals are aware of us there but with any area, not all roads are good for cycling as you have shown in your examples.
Old 07-05-23, 01:29 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by gpsblake
Flood control especially in the street view you submitted. We are getting a new expansion to 4 lanes on US 1 here in South Carolina and they also put a curb in and when I asked, it was for flood control, Yes, I hate them as a cyclist as it gives no good way to bail if you must.

And Greenville is def the cycling capital of South Carolina with a good trail system and really good road bicycling like old US 25 to Saluda, NC, Paris Mountain or if you like flats, the Swamp Rabbit. Locals are aware of us there but with any area, not all roads are good for cycling as you have shown in your examples.
Hey, thanks for the info! Never would have guessed the curbs were water control devices. Makes sense now that I know.

I posted up on the "Southeast" forum but few responded with good Greenville info. My wife and I spent nearly 3 weeks there in April looking for a house and driving all over the place. I immediately purchased a new bike when I got back home - Surly Lowside - single speed with hydraulic disc brakes for all the hills. With the rest of my bike stable I'm pretty much ready for anything now. We're moving there around January next year.

If you think of anything especially useful for that area I have a standing post in "Southeast Bike Forums". I've done extensive research using every bicycle app and resource online, so I'm well on my way but I have never actually cycled there yet. I do know first hand that driving a car there pretty much sucks.

Cheers!
Old 07-05-23, 06:27 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 710 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Jughed
SC/Greenville is home to many ex pro cyclists that seem to ride 40-60 miles per day out on the more rural local roads...

Follow Hincapie on Strava - you will learn many routes that seem to be heavily traveled by cyclists.

This. I’ve ridden in that area a fair amount. There’s a reason Hincapie and Christian Van de Velda among others live there.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 07-05-23, 08:36 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
...There’s a reason Hincapie and Christian Van de Velda among others live there.
If I could average 30 mph there would be a lot more roads I would ride on also.
Old 07-06-23, 08:29 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike
The two worst states to cycle in are Hawaii (Island of Oahu) and South Carolina.
I don't think you can say "Hawaii" as a single category of riding. Using Oahu as an example of the whole state is like rating New York based the New York City metro area.

Every island is different. Molokai is very nice for road cycling. Parts of Maui are too. Haven't ridden on the Big Island or Kauai or Oahu. Can't think of any reason to visit Oahu again, but I'll bet there's some fine road riding on that island away from the city. From my visit to Kauai a long time ago, I can't imagine you couldn't find great road riding there. Same for Big Island. In fact, a friend who used to live there, said the Big Island is great for road riding.

I doubt if you can label South Carolina with one label either.
Old 07-07-23, 09:32 AM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
I've seen more than a few deer who tried that. Couldn't be in more pieces if they swallowed a stick of dynamite. Pass. Hard pass.
WTH? Are you supposing people are suggesting you should dart in front of cars?
Old 07-07-23, 09:59 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
You'd know that truck was coming from quite some distance. It's a low speed turn on top of that.
Exactly. I don't see the problem there.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 07-07-23, 10:02 AM
bbbean 

I've seen more than a few deer who tried that. Couldn't be in more pieces if they swallowed a stick of dynamite. Pass. Hard pass.
I'll give you credit for being smarter than a deer. there's an enormous difference between riding lawfully and predictably in the lane with traffic and bursting from the woods into the road without warning, especially between dusk and dawn..

Old 07-07-23, 10:10 AM
bbbean 

Originally Posted by MaxKatt
Out in the middle of the road...the truck and can see you, and you have space to maneuver right and left. He can wait. Precious few drivers are going to knowingly mow over a rider in front of them. They can see and understand why it's happening, and that it's the best call.

Take the land, stand and pound through the section as fast as you can in front of the truck and then free him. This is absolutely a case where the "shoulder" is a death trap waiting to close on you.
That was worth repeating.Even unfriendly drivers aren't homicidal. They may not be thrilled to wait 30 seconds til they can pass, but they aren't out there running down cyclists on purpose.

Old 07-07-23, 10:11 AM
bbbean 

Paranoid?

How many live cyclists do you know? Tens of millions of us ride the roads every day.

Old 07-07-23, 02:02 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by njkayaker
WTH? Are you supposing people are suggesting you should dart in front of cars?
You ever come close to hitting a deer? Often they are just standing in the road on a blind curve. A car moving at 55pmh and a deer doing 0mph or a cyclist doing 10 mph won't change the result of the impact very much. Most of the cyclists featured in news stories here on A&S didn't dart out into traffic at all, yet they are still thoroughly dead. "Taking the lane" under some circumstances is similar to a deer standing in the middle of the road. This was my point.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 07-07-23 at 02:06 PM.
Old 07-07-23, 02:52 PM
njkayaker

Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 932 Posts
You ever come close to hitting a deer? Often they are just standing in the road on a blind curve. A car moving at 55pmh and a deer doing 0mph or a cyclist doing 10 mph won't change the result of the impact very much. Most of the cyclists featured in news stories here on A&S didn't dart out into traffic at all, yet they are still thoroughly dead. "Taking the lane" under some circumstances is similar to a deer standing in the middle of the road. This was my point.
BS.

It the most common hitting deer scenario is them moving across the roadway at a fast pace at night.

It doesn't seem that "Most of the cyclists featured in news stories here" killed weren't killed taking the lane. There isn't any data collected that would establish that.

That's more BS.

(I'm not making any recommendation of where you should ride on roads you haven't really provided enough detail about.)

Last edited by njkayaker; 07-07-23 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-07-23, 02:59 PM
bbbean 

"Taking the lane" under some circumstances is similar to a deer standing in the middle of the road. This was my point.
Standing in the middle of the road on a blind turn isn't "taking the lane". Also, taking the lane does not eliminate the need to use lights/clothing/time of day/route choice/speed/situational awareness, etc to remain safe on the road. Deer employ none of those tactice (well, maybe situational awareness, but they could obviously use some work on that)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.