Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Something You "Take The Lane" Folks Might Enjoy

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Something You "Take The Lane" Folks Might Enjoy

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 01:16 PM
AndreyT

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
are you sure about that? is lane splitting only explicitly legal for motorcycles, and not bicycles? i see nothing in the filtering rules which reference sharrows.
"Lane splitting"? Why are you talking about lane splitting? Lane splitting is a completely different practice, which has little relation to bikes riding next to the right shoulder. Bicycles ride in their own separate lane. They don't really lane split.

The key difference is that bicycle in a bike lane is explicitly allowed to proceed forward through an intersection, while cars driving in the normal lane (on the left-hand side of the bicycle) are permitted to make a right turn at the same intersection. Moreover, at least in California bicycles are permitted to proceed forward through an intersection from a "right turn only" lanes (!), where cars are required to make a right turn. As we all know and understand, this obviously sets the stage for the notorious "right hook" - the most frequent (by a huge margin) form of car-vs-bicycle accident on public roads.

Meanwhile, "lane splitting" does not allow anything like that. "Lane splitting" motorcycles are no allowed to interfere with right-turning cars. "Lane splitting" motorcycles are not allowed to proceed forward from "right turn only" lanes. "Lane splitting" is a completely different story. No need to bring it up here.

"Taking the lane" is a practice that is intended to reduce the probability of "right hooks". A "sharrow" is intended to encourage (or prescribe) the cyclist to ride single-file with cars, thus eliminating the setup for a "right hook". The rest is up to the state and its legal law-enforcement practices, which are just forming...

Originally Posted by mschwett
but the law about passing bikes with 3 feet clear also doesn't say "unless they're riding off to the side of a road with a sharrow..." so the fault would be primarily on the driver.
I'm talking about cars making right turns specifically.
Old 05-31-23, 01:31 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
"Lane splitting"? Why are you talking about lane splitting? Lane splitting is a completely different practice, which has little relation to bikes riding next to the right shoulder. Bicycles ride in their own separate lane. They don't really lane split.

The key difference is that bicycle in a bike lane is explicitly allowed to proceed forward through an intersection, while cars driving in the normal lane (on the left-hand side of the bicycle) are permitted to make a right turn at the same intersection. Moreover, at least in California bicycles are permitted to proceed forward through an intersection from a "right turn only" lanes (!), where cars are required to make a right turn. As we all know and understand, this obviously sets the stage for the notorious "right hook" - the most frequent (by a huge margin) form of car-vs-bicycle accident on public roads.

Meanwhile, "lane splitting" does not allow anything like that. "Lane splitting" motorcycles are no allowed to interfere with right-turning cars. "Lane splitting" motorcycles are not allowed to proceed forward from "right turn only" lanes. "Lane splitting" is a completely different story. No need to bring it up here.

"Taking the lane" is a practice that is intended to reduce the probability of "right hooks". A "sharrow" is intended to encourage (or prescribe) the cyclist to ride single-file with cars, thus eliminating the setup for a "right hook". The rest is up to the state and its legal law-enforcement practices, which are just forming...

I'm talking about cars making right turns specifically.
wrong terminology, perhaps, but are you suggesting that it is NOT legal for a bicycle in California to proceed forward past parked cars on the right and slow moving or stopped cars in traffic on the left, where there is no bike lane, but there are sharrows? This is the nearly constant condition for a huge amount of urban cycling, and i was under the impression that it was in fact a form of lane splitting, between the parking “lane” and the rightmost traffic lane, and now explicitly allowed for bicycles. That said, I couldn’t find the citation.

The suggestion that somehow sharrows make this illegal due to their placement is perplexing to me - it certainly bears no relationship to the reality on the ground in cities in California which have sharrows, but that wouldn’t be the first time the actual law and practice diverged.
Old 05-31-23, 08:12 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
I was riding just to the right of a painted sharrow on a quiet residential street near me a couple of weeks ago when I got rage-passed by an SUV with a passenger yelling out the window for me to get onto the sidewalk. Some people can't be helped.

I do like the sharrows on roads that have them, anecdotally I feel that I am typically less likely to experience driver impatience on those roads as they help drivers to understand their need to share the road. I have wondered, though, the degree to which drivers may assume that roads without sharrows are not to be shared. It's an argument from silence, of course; probably the only way to confirm or allay this suspicion would be to poll drivers regarding what their road-sharing responsibilities are on sharrowed and unsharrowed roads. My guess is that most drivers don't even see them anyway.
Old 06-01-23, 12:05 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Depends on where you live.

What is the literacy rate in New Orleans?
Megan Holt doubts many people are surprised to learn that New Orleans' adult literacy rate is lower than the national average—the New Orleans Community Data Center estimates the city has a 26 percent low-literacy rate among 18- to 64-year olds, compared to 23 percent nationally.
Google Search

Some locations are dumber than others.
Have extended family from "down below" in Jeff Parish (think Jean Lafitte, Barataria, etc) and literacy wasn't a high priority. But they rarely traveled "up front" to New Orleans so sharrows wouldn't be a thing.

scott s.
Likes For scott967:
Old 06-01-23, 12:39 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
There were a lot of people involved in the development of the shared lane marking. The original "bike in a house" shared lane marking concept originated with James Mackay in Denver in the 1990s. The early 2000s shared lane marking tests in Cambridge used a variety of markings (Cara Seiderman used to be a friend of mine and we consulted frequently on the issue.) It's my recollection that the MUTCD SLM design (AKA "Corporal Bike") arose from Alta's work on the the San Francisco study, although Cambridge used it in later installations. Long Beach CA was to my knowledge the first use of the continuous green marking with SLMs, and the recent Interim Approval on green pavement in bike lanes does not extend to green backgrounds for shared lane markings - even though a number of agencies do it anyway.
Just want to say thanks for an engineering view of the "problem" ( or solution?). Here in Honolulu suburb they have applied sharrow where road was "paint engineered" to add additional lane in each direction. So where previously FRAP allowed (careful) passing in lane, now it's not feasible and I think the sharrow enforces that or at least gives drivers a heads-up. In Honolulu they have sharrow on some designated bike routes. In some cases (thinking of Young St) kind of superfluous as it's kind of narrow 2-way with parking on both sides and I think people get it with/without sharrows. I take it they were added due to being a designated bike route.

scott s.
Old 06-01-23, 02:51 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5779 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesterfieldway
it seems that the roadway is wide enough for safe shared-lane passing. On that street, I'd keep left, riding out from the parked cars, and ready and willing to move over if/when necessary to make passing possible.
Is there an echo?

From post #14
I'm a bit surprised by this example, because it seems that the roadway is wide enough for safe shared-lane passing. On that street, I'd keep left, riding out from the parked cars, and ready and willing to move over if/when necessary to make passing possible.

I don't know if there are any specific rules that apply, but it seems that clipping and copying a prior post and posting as your own would be a faux pas.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 06-01-23, 04:04 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I don't know if there are any specific rules that apply, but it seems that clipping and copying a prior post and posting as your own would be a faux pas.
Same poster just did this in another A&S thread too. Probably a weird bot. Chesterfieldway , got anything to say for yourself?
Old 06-01-23, 05:05 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb
Same poster just did this in another A&S thread too. Probably a weird bot. Chesterfieldway , got anything to say for yourself?
Weird bots are probably no more weird or less original than allegedly human posters who repeat the same old/same old uninformed responses to reports of bicyclist collisions and associated legal procedures, or "experienced" cyclist unpleasant interactions with unworthy members of the public to include LEO, motorists, pedestrians and "unexperienced" cyclists riding so-called BSO's in their vicinity.
Old 06-05-23, 09:41 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Weird bots are probably no more weird or less original than allegedly human posters who repeat the same old/same old uninformed responses to reports of bicyclist collisions and associated legal procedures, or "experienced" cyclist unpleasant interactions with unworthy members of the public to include LEO, motorists, pedestrians and "unexperienced" cyclists riding so-called BSO's in their vicinity.
Speaking of a guy who copies and pastes his own posts from one thread to another....

Seriously, is this an act of self-parody? You dragged up about 5 pet peeves of yours that have nothing to do with the thread or the act of copy/pasting someone else's post just so you could repeat the same damn pet peeves for the zillionth time.
Old 06-05-23, 10:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by retswerb

I checked out its post history and stopped at 5 instances of it doing this exact same thing on other threads. Frankly, no way of telling if any human inteligence is involved in the process. The sentences pasted into the posts seem randomly selected.
Old 07-16-23, 08:58 PM
Ttom

Bikes: Kona Sutra SE

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 34 Posts
Some of those roads in the French Quarter have pot holes that will swallow a bike.
Likes For Ttom:
Old 07-18-23, 07:41 PM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Posting this YouTube link here because "taking the lane" is the topic. Coincidentally, my urban cycling capabilities were called out as a hoax on a different thread in A&S (@Leisesturm). Not that I NEED to prove anything to anyone here, it's just FUN to do so. And it's quite flattering to be accused of riding an E-Bike . I pass E-Bikes on the regular and let out a devilish laugh every time.

THIS is how I take the lane on a 35 mph narrow boulevard where getting passed is life threatening, without pi$$!ng off every motorist behind me. Enjoy!

(My GPS with speed is bottom left corner. Sadly the resolution YouTube used has the display impossible to read)

https://youtu.be/xRA7665HF7Y
VROOM!! Good music too.
Likes For Roughstuff:
Old 07-19-23, 05:44 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttom
Some of those roads in the French Quarter have pot holes that will swallow a bike.
The Quarter isn't all that bad compared to neighborhoods like Lakeview. It is bad enough that riders have to pay close attention to the road surface, rather than focusing more of their attention on the larger traffic picture. The quarter can be a minefield of glass. I have ridden it when there was 10X the litter shown in this pic.

Likes For Paul Barnard: