Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Marmot 2 person tent on sale

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-23, 07:07 PM
afrowheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts

Just bought this in Ecuador for a much higher price to replace my very old MSR Hubba Hubba which I had been unable to re-waterproof:
https://www.marmot.com/equipment/tents/2-person/limelight-2-person-tent/AFS_195115053178.html

Might be a good deal if you're in the market and able to buy from the website.

It seems heavier despite notionally being similar specs to the Hubba Hubba but does have more headroom and some nice extra storage space. Decided on it over the MSR Elixir (I think) because of seeing too many stories about the MSR poles snapping.
Old 06-01-23, 11:00 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
Yikes it's almost 6 lbs! There are lots of really good tents that weight less and cost less.
Likes For timdow:
Old 06-01-23, 01:48 PM
afrowheels

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Yeah, it is a bit on the heavy side. But for a 2-person, 3-season tent I am not sure about finding something better that's cheaper. Interested to hear a specific recommendation though. I recall skimming through the last thread on here about tents and don't recall anything standing out.

Originally Posted by timdow
Yikes it's almost 6 lbs! There are lots of really good tents that weight less and cost less.
Old 06-01-23, 02:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
I like my REI Quarterdome SL 2P. Not as spacious as that Marmot, but it’s a helluva lot lighter.
Old 06-01-23, 09:11 PM
dvdwmth

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I have a family car camping marmot
(halo ++$), and a marmot tungsten. Both have webbing separating from the body. Called customer service and I was on hold for some time before giving up. I looked up reviews of marmot as a company and found a huge number of dissatisfied users, many of whom were put off by poor customer service.

I do like both the tents from a functionality point of view. I would probably not buy more marmot products though as I feel I’m on my own if they have issues.
Old 06-02-23, 09:40 AM
timdow
Miles to Go

Bikes: 2022 Juiced Crosscurrent X, 2022 Fuji Touring, 1998 Schwinn Moab (drop bar conversion), 2010 LHT (Stolen)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 95 Posts
The REI Trail Hut is essentially the same tent at the same weight for $199 when not on sale (marked-down at least 20% when on-sale though, which is often enough to wait for the sale price).
The REI Trailmade 2 is $179 and is over 2/3 lb. lighter.
The REI Half Dome+ Is only $30 more when not on sale, but is over 20 oz.(!) lighter.

At REI.com, I found 7 tents that are the same price or lower than the Marmot Limelight that weight between 3 and 5 lbs. Only one was on sale.

I have never bought a tent that was not discounted. If you shop carefully, you can get a 3-4 lb. tent for around $300. I paid $330 for my Big Agnes Copper Spur which is 3 lbs. 2 oz. (albeit w/o ground sheet, which was an extra $30).

Originally Posted by afrowheels
Yeah, it is a bit on the heavy side. But for a 2-person, 3-season tent I am not sure about finding something better that's cheaper. Interested to hear a specific recommendation though. I recall skimming through the last thread on here about tents and don't recall anything standing out.
Old 06-02-23, 10:42 AM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by timdow
The REI Trail Hut is essentially the same tent at the same weight for $199 when not on sale (marked-down at least 20% when on-sale though, which is often enough to wait for the sale price).
The REI Trailmade 2 is $179 and is over 2/3 lb. lighter.
The REI Half Dome+ Is only $30 more when not on sale, but is over 20 oz.(!) lighter.

At REI.com, I found 7 tents that are the same price or lower than the Marmot Limelight that weight between 3 and 5 lbs. Only one was on sale.

I have never bought a tent that was not discounted. If you shop carefully, you can get a 3-4 lb. tent for around $300. I paid $330 for my Big Agnes Copper Spur which is 3 lbs. 2 oz. (albeit w/o ground sheet, which was an extra $30).
Yeah, I was looking at the Trailmade and the Half-Dome, because my 30-year old North Face Tadpole is getting long in the tooth, and has a bad pole. It was $230 last weekend for Memorial Day, but I didn't jump on it.
Old 06-02-23, 11:02 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Chinghis
my 30-year old North Face Tadpole
Wow! The Tadpole is a name I hadn't heard in a while. Always thought that thing looked neat and somewhat like its name.

23 years ago I had a North Face Slickrock. Used it for two tours. The second of those ended in Cortez, CO, where I stayed with some friends who were interning at Mesa Verde N.P. A week after I arrived, the park caught on fire and we had to evacuate. Some gear got left behind, including my tent. When a ranger finally brought it down after the first was extinguished, it looked like Swiss cheese from falling embers.
Old 06-02-23, 02:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I have one experience with Marmot customer service about a decade ago, they replaced my Precip rain jacket that had some delamination. No arguments, they looked at it and gave me a credit to use to order another one.

I had an MSR tent, very unhappy with customer service with MSR. They said nothing was wrong with my tent, they mailed it back to me. I sent it to REI for them to sell it on their used page, and REI said that it was delaminating and was unusable.

I like MSR cookware, but that is the only thing that I can say positive about MSR after my tent experience.

I really like my old REI Nitelite tent, but at a hair over 6 pounds, I no longer use it for bike touring. That weight is not a problem for canoeing, so it is now only used for that. The taped seams on the fly were de-laminating, I applied new seam sealer to the seams and it has stayed mostly dry since.

Am happy with my Big Agnes tent, but it is a discontinued model, you can't buy one so I won't elaborate.
Old 06-02-23, 02:28 PM
Chinghis

Bikes: Historical: Schwinn Speedster; Schwinn Collegiate; 1981 Ross Gran Tour; 1981 Dawes Atlantis; 1991 Specialized Rockhopper. Current: 1987 Ritchey Ultra; 1987 Centurion Ironman Dave Scott Master; 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper FS

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wow! The Tadpole is a name I hadn't heard in a while. Always thought that thing looked neat and somewhat like its name.

23 years ago I had a North Face Slickrock. Used it for two tours. The second of those ended in Cortez, CO, where I stayed with some friends who were interning at Mesa Verde N.P. A week after I arrived, the park caught on fire and we had to evacuate. Some gear got left behind, including my tent. When a ranger finally brought it down after the first was extinguished, it looked like Swiss cheese from falling embers.
Bummer. I really like the Tadpole, although to be honest I used it more as a one-person tent, for the most part.
Old 06-02-23, 03:06 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Chinghis
Bummer. I really like the Tadpole, although to be honest I used it more as a one-person tent, for the most part.
The Park Service actually reimbursed me for the tent. I was unable to find another Slickrock, so I bought a similar North Face tent that had a full fly coverage. The Slickrock was a hybrid with a bat wing fly. At 4.75 lbs., pretty light for its time.

https://www.rei.com/product/667683/t...slickrock-tent

I remember thinking the Tadpole was too small for my height and broad build.
Likes For indyfabz: