Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Replacing my rear derailleur

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-23, 08:41 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Bikes: I tour on a Waterford Adventurecycle. It is a fabulous touring bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 53 Posts

My trusty Waterford touring bike will turn 20 this year. I haven't replaced the derailleur in all that time and the bike seems to shift fine. I don't do a lot of shifting when I ride but I do work the gears a bit up and down the San Francisco hills.

Is there any way to check if my derailleur needs replacing?
Old 05-31-23, 09:17 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
If it works fine, keep it.

That said, I have removed, cleaned and re-greased the jockey wheels every year or two. That includes re-greasing the bushings in them.

If you try cleaning and lubing the jockey wheels, the top and bottom jockey wheels are different, do not mix up the parts. For example, the top has some side to side play that the bottom lacks, that side to side play is something that you want to retain. I use some thread locker on the screws when I re-assemble.

Don't lose your bike, you won't be able to replace it.
https://bikepacking.com/news/waterford-gunnar-closing/
Old 05-31-23, 09:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,926 Times in 1,209 Posts
Originally Posted by raybo
My trusty Waterford touring bike will turn 20 this year. I haven't replaced the derailleur in all that time and the bike seems to shift fine. I don't do a lot of shifting when I ride but I do work the gears a bit up and down the San Francisco hills.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Since it's still working, it ain't broke.

That said, you might want to join the throngs of buyers snapping up old-pull long cage derailers since we don't know what the new Shimano "standard" derailers will do with old shifters. Just in case.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 05-31-23, 09:44 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 961 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Pull it off, inspect it closely, clean it, inspect it closely, then put it back on.

Many times I have felt a need to replace something and then after cleaning and inspection did not; but, at reinstallation felt a whole lot better about it.

So many times people don't think about replacing or inspecting components till they are beyond repair... *UBAR
Old 05-31-23, 10:25 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Don't lose your bike, you won't be able to replace it.
https://bikepacking.com/news/waterford-gunnar-closing/
Truly sad news.
Old 05-31-23, 10:45 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
Jockey wheels are the usual maintenance item on derailleurs, however, since you are likely putting a lot of miles on the bike, I would pull the entire derailleur off the bike. Disassemble the jockey wheels, regrease (lightly) and clean the derailleur. I would use a "!Q-tip for this, or spray it with compressed air.
Old 05-31-23, 05:26 PM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

I have never removed and remounted a derailleur. Is this something I should attempt or should I ask my LBS to do it?
Old 05-31-23, 06:49 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Removing and replacing front and rear derailleurs is not difficult. Adjustment may be a little challenging until you get the hang of it. A good primer on derailleurs can be found at Park Tool's site. Look at some of the videos and you can get an idea if you want to tackle the job.

The derailleurs don't have to be removed for cleaning. The Jockey wheels can also be removed without removing the derailleur.

Park Tool Repair

Last edited by Doug64; 05-31-23 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-31-23, 06:59 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I have no clue how much mechanical aptitude you have, so I won't say if you should do it or a mechanic should.

Park apparently does not have a video that is exactly what you need. They have some others here:

Arts apparently does not have the exact one you need either.
https://www.youtube.com/@artscyclery875

I think those are the best two sources of bike mechanic videos. There are other sources, but others vary in quality. Good luck.

If your bike had a replaceable hanger, I would caution you to be careful you do not damage or bend it, but your bike likely has a steel hanger that is part of the frame and it is unlikely that you would cause a problem with that.
Old 06-01-23, 05:44 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts

raybo, over the years what I have found is that simply by keeping a rear derailleur clean and not gummed up with old chain oil and dirt embedded gunk is pretty much all you need to do. I regularly wipe the exterior as best as I can, wipe down the jockey wheels all the time to keep toothpaste gunk from building up, and once in a while I apply a thin lube on all the pivet points. Wipe off excess, dirt will just get stuck in it.
Once in a blue moon I will use a toothbrush and clean any crud from out of the spring area etc that is hard to get to with a finger and a rag.
Spraying wd-40 in all the crevices does a reasonable job of getting grit out of areas that are hard to get to, but a good thin lube on pivot points is really good. Again, wipe down excess always.

Also, Ive always stored my bikes for the winter with the chain on the smallest rear sprocket and smallest front sprocket-- I figure why have the rd spring under tension when not needed? In other words, I have rear derailleurs that are 15, 20, 30 years old and that are still working perfectly fine.

don't know how you are with keeping your drivetrain clean, but this is the easiest way to keep a rd working fine for ages. The less dirty they are and pivot points lubed, the less wear there is on the various parts.
Heck, one of my bikes is a late 90s mtb that I have used as my Canadian snow, salt and grit winter bike, and that old xt rd is still going, but I do try to keep it clean ish , even in winter.
Depends on how much rain riding you do also, and of course how much dirt riding also.

basically I am amazed by how well front and rear derailleurs hold up over time with fairly simple regular common sense cleaning and lubing.

taking off a rd makes it easier to clean, but I really never do that, although having a bike repair stand is great for making it easier to get to it more comfortably. Removing the chain can make it easier to get to all the nooks and crannies easier too, so if you have ever removed a quick link, this makes it easier.
Dont know how much bike repair stuff you do, but its not that hard.
Old 06-01-23, 09:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Really I would just clean it, I have derailleurs that are 30 years old (granted not originally purchased by me) A clean derailleur is a happy derailleur and in the end if not damaged and still shifting fine you are good and you can always just replace the pulley wheels. Tacx would generally be my go to for vintage pulleys but they stopped making them.
Old 06-01-23, 10:45 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
I have never removed and remounted a derailleur. Is this something I should attempt or should I ask my LBS to do it?
if you do it yourself, be very careful when re-installing. take your time, do it slowly, make sure the threads are aligned before tightening. it\s easy to cross-thread if you're not careful.

if you've taken the jockey wheels off, pop out the metal bushing in the center and check for wear. after all this time, you've probably got some flat spots worn down. LBS might have some metal bushings in the take-offs bin you can get for free.

or just replace the pulleys...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363255236851
Old 06-01-23, 11:29 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
My 10 speed Campagnolo Veloce rear derailleur had worn out pivots. I could wiggle the derailleur body and see the movement. So the shifts weren't nearly as crisp as when it was new.
The replacement derailleur had been redesigned with sturdy pivots instead of the previous pressed-in thin pivots. Much sturdier and longer lasting.

Yes, if yours shifts well and doesn't seem excessively worn, I'd keep it as-is.
Old 06-02-23, 04:40 AM
djb

Originally Posted by saddlesores
if you do it yourself, be very careful when re-installing. take your time, do it slowly, make sure the threads are aligned before tightening. it\s easy to cross-thread if you're not careful.

if you've taken the jockey wheels off, pop out the metal bushing in the center and check for wear. after all this time, you've probably got some flat spots worn down. LBS might have some metal bushings in the take-offs bin you can get for free.

or just replace the pulleys...
https://www.ebay.com/itm/363255236851
Raybo, I really recommend taking the jockey wheels off, but ONE at a time, and note or photograph the parts layout. I've never had a big wear spot, but cleaning with a rag and lightly greasing the simple bearing that fits inside the jockey wheel center is important.
I'm never really sure if grease or chain lube is better to use, but better than nothing.
Do one at a time so no parts mix-ups.
Old 06-02-23, 05:10 AM
Tourist in MSN

I used Phil grease when I re-grease jockey wheels.

They are quite filthy before you clean them. If you have some disposable gloves like medical personnel use, they are good for cleaning the jockey wheels. Dawn dish soap is a good cleaning agent, a used toothbrush can come in handy. (When I replace toothbrushes, the old ones get re-purposed.)
Old 06-02-23, 06:38 AM
djb

Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I used Phil grease when I re-grease jockey wheels.

They are quite filthy before you clean them. If you have some disposable gloves like medical personnel use, they are good for cleaning the jockey wheels. Dawn dish soap is a good cleaning agent, a used toothbrush can come in handy. (When I replace toothbrushes, the old ones get re-purposed.)
I have tended to put in some bearing grease also, but always wonder if a thinner chain lube would be better for less resistance (but in the end figure Im not going to do this again for years, so use the thicker stuff......)

and yup, old toothbrushes are handy things for bike stuff.
Old 06-02-23, 11:21 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
I'm never really sure if grease or chain lube is better to use, but better than nothing.
i use bearing grease.
chain lube will wash out after a couple rides in the rain, resulting in annoying squeaks.
Old 06-02-23, 11:45 AM
djb

Originally Posted by saddlesores
i use bearing grease.
chain lube will wash out after a couple rides in the rain, resulting in annoying squeaks.
guess Ive done the right thing then. merci
Old 06-04-23, 07:11 AM
raybo
Bike touring webrarian

Thanks everyone for the good advice. The derailleur still shifts fine so I did a thorough clean yesterday (without removing or disassembling it). I learned things, too!
Old 06-04-23, 07:19 AM
Tourist in MSN

Thanks everyone for the good advice. The derailleur still shifts fine so I did a thorough clean yesterday (without removing or disassembling it). I learned things, too!
A drop of oil on each of the moving parts (now that you cleaned it) will reduce wear in the future and might reduce friction a bit. Any light oil will do.