Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Horses Have the Ultimate Right of Way

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Horses Have the Ultimate Right of Way

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-23, 12:06 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4941 Post(s)
Liked 8,081 Times in 3,822 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Nope, I don't keep a log of when people bark up the "serious cyclist" junk...
I figured as much. Thanks.
Old 06-02-23, 12:37 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Bikes: eleven bikes no car

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by RCMoeur
Obligatory comment:

Per Federal Highway Administration, this sign is not approved for use on paths open to public travel in the US. Any agency wanting to use such a sign should contact FHWA to inquire regarding experimental approval.

Reality: path managers install them anyway, despite the sign layout which probably cannot be accurately comprehended without stopping and pondering.

And yield signs in the US have been white and red since 1971, but I suppose enough people remember the old black on yellow signs for this color combination to be used.
This is not on roads so the FHA has nothing to do with it. This is a MUP trail sign and they are state controlled, I ride on trails with horses and the best thing is a bell rung as soon as you think the rider will hear it. The worst thing to do is sneak up on a horse, you are being a predator and it's pretty stupid, also riding up and shouting "On your left!". As far as approaching from behind, the responsibility is on you to inform the rider as far away as possible, not hope the rider happens to be looking backward and sees you.
Old 06-02-23, 12:42 PM
billew
meandering nomad

Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
the Airline Trail and Hop River Trail in CT have a fair amount of horses. I'm not fond of passing them. I don't trust them.
I ride those trails also, We use a bell rung as far away as the rider will hear it, the rider will decide if they want to stop or move over and wave you through. Most all riders have thanked us for ringing the bell it works for dogs too.
Likes For billew:
Old 06-02-23, 01:11 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by billew
This is not on roads so the FHA has nothing to do with it. This is a MUP trail sign and they are state controlled.
You're correct that the Federal Housing Administration doesn't get involved with shared-use paths all that much.

As for the MUTCD's authority over signing such paths, it's stated in the second paragraph of the entire document:

Standard:
The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) is incorporated by reference in 23 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 655, Subpart F and shall be recognized as the national standard for all traffic control devices installed on any street, highway, bikeway, or private road open to public travel (see definition in Section 1A.13) in accordance with 23 U.S.C. 109(d) and 402(a).

That being said, FHWA typically doesn't get into the weeds on these items, or have squads of enforcement personnel ripping down offending or nonconforming signs. Sometimes there's a strongly worded letter from a FHWA Division Office to an agency for more-egregious transgressions. Federal funding can conceivably be withheld from projects or facilities with noncompliant signs, but this raises political implications. Recently there have been carrot-and-stick moves to persuade State DOTs to actively enforce MUTCD provisions on FHWA's behalf, including removal of nonconforming signs, but this is still in very early stages of implementation and enthusiasm. So it's very unlikely these signs are at imminent risk.

MUTCD compliance can be a factor in litigation, with noncompliance often considered negligence per se. By my assessment, a sign like this may not be a litigation risk (whether present or absent), unless someone stopped in the middle of the path to read it and another person crashed into them and was injured. Haven't heard of that happening much on bikeways, even with absurdly complicated signs.

"Bikeway" is defined in Section 1A.13 of the MUTCD as: "a generic term for any road, street, path, or way that in some manner is specifically designated for bicycle travel, regardless of whether such facilities are designated for the exclusive use of bicycles or are to be shared with other transportation modes." This could conceivably encompass everything down to rocky tangled singletrack, but in practicality is only applied to paths that are specifically engineered and constructed by a public agency and intended for bicycle use, whether paved or unpaved.
Old 06-02-23, 02:16 PM
SPlKE 

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
The horses on the MUP I ride poo and pee all over the MUP.

The horse riders continue plodding along, two abreast leaving almost no room for passing... without a care in the world about the filthy stinking fly-infested poop mess and piss puddles they leave behind.
Old 06-03-23, 08:20 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
Originally Posted by SPlKE
filthy stinking fly-infested poop mess and piss puddles
Those are usually still on top of the horses, I believe they call themselves "humans"
Old 06-04-23, 11:36 AM
Roughstuff
Punk Rock Lives

Location: Throughout the west in a van, on my bike, and in the forest

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker with BRIFTERS!

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
Nope, I don't keep a log of when people bark up the "serious cyclist" junk...
I brake for insects.
Old 06-04-23, 01:40 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 306 Posts
Blucher!
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 06-05-23, 05:52 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 445 Posts
I ride those trails also, We use a bell rung as far away as the rider will hear it, the rider will decide if they want to stop or move over and wave you through. Most all riders have thanked us for ringing the bell it works for dogs too.
ya, I do the same. I ask the riders if it's ok to pass, and they are always very kind. I usually ride by at a walking pace.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 06-05-23, 08:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
I figured as much. Thanks.
I would just assume not see photos of people's willies.

Last edited by indyfabz; 06-05-23 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-05-23, 08:50 AM
indyfabz

Horses? HTFU. I had to yielded to this guy:

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-05-23, 09:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by RB1-luvr
ya, I do the same. I ask the riders if it's ok to pass, and they are always very kind. I usually ride by at a walking pace.
I've asked riders what they want me to do, and that is exactly what they recommend. Generally, I don't think people bring nervous horses to MUPS, but I always err on the side of caution as that's an awful lot of mammal to deal with if something goes sideways.

Not sure what the point of this thread was, what cyclist would be stupid enough to want to play chicken with a horse?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-05-23, 11:18 AM
billew
meandering nomad

Originally Posted by RCMoeur
You're correct that the Federal Housing Administration doesn't get involved with shared-use paths all that much.

As for the MUTCD's authority over signing such paths, it's stated in the second paragraph of the entire document:

Standard:
The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) is incorporated by reference in 23 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 655, Subpart F and shall be recognized as the national standard for all traffic control devices installed on any street, highway, bikeway, or private road open to public travel (see definition in Section 1A.13) in accordance with 23 U.S.C. 109(d) and 402(a).

That being said, FHWA typically doesn't get into the weeds on these items, or have squads of enforcement personnel ripping down offending or nonconforming signs. Sometimes there's a strongly worded letter from a FHWA Division Office to an agency for more-egregious transgressions. Federal funding can conceivably be withheld from projects or facilities with noncompliant signs, but this raises political implications. Recently there have been carrot-and-stick moves to persuade State DOTs to actively enforce MUTCD provisions on FHWA's behalf, including removal of nonconforming signs, but this is still in very early stages of implementation and enthusiasm. So it's very unlikely these signs are at imminent risk.

MUTCD compliance can be a factor in litigation, with noncompliance often considered negligence per se. By my assessment, a sign like this may not be a litigation risk (whether present or absent), unless someone stopped in the middle of the path to read it and another person crashed into them and was injured. Haven't heard of that happening much on bikeways, even with absurdly complicated signs.

"Bikeway" is defined in Section 1A.13 of the MUTCD as: "a generic term for any road, street, path, or way that in some manner is specifically designated for bicycle travel, regardless of whether such facilities are designated for the exclusive use of bicycles or are to be shared with other transportation modes." This could conceivably encompass everything down to rocky tangled singletrack, but in practicality is only applied to paths that are specifically engineered and constructed by a public agency and intended for bicycle use, whether paved or unpaved.
The FHA only concerns infra attached to roadways, it doesn't have jurisdiction on offroad trails usually designated as "Linear Parks" Since we are talking about dirt trails with horses on them the only MUTCD compliance issues are at road grade crossings where crosswalks are involved. You are wrong and have a hard time admitting it.

Last edited by StanSeven; 06-05-23 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Removed offensive language
Old 06-05-23, 11:33 AM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 1,828 Times in 827 Posts
The FHA only concerns infra attached to roadways, it doesn't have jurisdiction on offroad trails usually designated as "Linear Parks" Since we are talking about dirt trails with horses on them the only MUTCD compliance issues are at road grade crossings where crosswalks are involved. You are wrong and have a hard time admitting it.
You're certainly not the first person to tell me I'm wrong, and you likely won't be the last. But given my 25+ years of direct professional involvement at the national level in traffic control device review and approval, I think I'll stick with my assessment. Especially remembering the meetings of the NCUTCD Bicycle Technical Committee I chaired where the scope of MUTCD applicability to the full range of US bikeways was discussed - which doesn't quite match up with your determination.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 06-05-23 at 03:58 PM. Reason: legume extraction
Old 06-05-23, 02:51 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Th Since we are talking about dirt trails with horses on them the only MUTCD compliance issues are at road grade crossings where crosswalks are involved. You are wrong and have a hard time admitting it.
Actually, the path where I encounter horses is both paved and interstate as it crosses the NH-MA state line.

But pretty sure you're the guy with butt-legumes here.

Last edited by StanSeven; 06-05-23 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-05-23, 09:06 PM
50PlusCycling

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 409 Posts
Horses and horse-drawn conveyances were given the right-of-way and other privileges more than a century ago. These were done in an effort to help support the horse industry, which was in steep decline as people switched to motor vehicles. In addition to having the right-of-way, tax breaks were also given to the horse industry, which also exist to this day. If your income is high enough, you can own horses virtually for free.
Likes For 50PlusCycling:
Old 06-05-23, 10:29 PM
Arthur Peabody

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 66 Posts
They have to be bagged on my local MUP. I never see their leavings. Then again, there's dirt trail alternatives nearby. I did get behind a group of pack animals while hiking in the Sierras, which was miserable. They pooped more going up hill.

Does a horse riding a bicycle have ultimate priority?
Old 06-06-23, 01:47 AM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Horses and horse-drawn conveyances were given the right-of-way and other privileges more than a century ago. These were done in an effort to help support the horse industry, which was in steep decline as people switched to bicycles.
FIFY.
Likes For Korina:
Old 06-06-23, 06:31 AM
indyfabz

HTFU. Bears don't always "go" in the woods. Going to the Sun Road in Glacier National Park, 2017.
Old 06-06-23, 07:12 AM
SPlKE 

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
Horses and horse-drawn conveyances were given the right-of-way and other privileges more than a century ago. These were done in an effort to help support the horse industry, which was in steep decline as people switched to motor vehicles. In addition to having the right-of-way, tax breaks were also given to the horse industry, which also exist to this day. If your income is high enough, you can own horses virtually for free.
Well, it's time we take on Big Horse and stand up for ourselves.
Likes For SPlKE:
Old 06-06-23, 07:13 AM
SPlKE 

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Blucher!
Dammit. Gets me every time.
Likes For SPlKE:
Old 06-06-23, 07:14 AM
SPlKE 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I've asked riders what they want me to do, and that is exactly what they recommend. Generally, I don't think people bring nervous horses to MUPS, but I always err on the side of caution as that's an awful lot of mammal to deal with if something goes sideways.

Not sure what the point of this thread was, what cyclist would be stupid enough to want to play chicken with a horse?
And the corollary: what cyclist would be stupid enough to play horse with a chicken?

/deep thoughts
Old 06-06-23, 08:03 AM
DirePenguin

Bikes: 2014 Trek 8.3 DS, 2022 Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 26 Posts
I don’t trust any horse, any more. My son, who has some significant disability, was involved in therapeutic horseback riding for many years, starting when he was about four. Never had a problem with any of the gentle horses he’d ridden over the years, until we did.

I was sidewalking (helping to keep him centered on the saddle) and something spooked the horse. It kicked me sideways, catching me just above my knee, and sent me flying to land in a heap about 8ft. away! Horses really kick HARD! At about the same time, the horse bucked my son off and he landed on the ground beside the horse! Luckily, the only damage was a broken wrist but it could have been so much worse!

We haven’t ridden since. I just don’t trust them!
Old 06-06-23, 09:26 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

And the corollary: what cyclist would be stupid enough to play horse with a chicken?

/deep thoughts

Old 06-06-23, 04:40 PM
Kat12

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Elephants
Definitely elephants. There's more than one story out there of them stopping sugarcane trucks in Thailand.

Originally Posted by Eric F
What defines a cyclist as “serious”?
Won't smile at other cyclists...

Originally Posted by DangerousDanR
Blucher!
NEIGH!!

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I would just assume not see photos of people's willies.
Or bark up anyone's junk... (I'm sorry but that was a terrible word choice considering the subject...)

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Horses? HTFU. I had to yielded to this guy:

Why? Sign didn't say...

/deep thoughts
I'd do it. Can chickens even throw a basketball? I'm bad at it but still better than chickens, I'm guessing. (Someone's going to dig up a video of a basketball-prodigy chicken, I know it.)
Likes For Kat12:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.