Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

Aussie in SoCal looking for cycling ideas

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 05-14-22, 11:59 PM
AUPedla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts

Hi BF friends, I'm looking for some advice on cycling related stuff to do when I am on a family holiday later this year. We're coming from Australia to do the usual Disneyland, Universal, Staples Center visits over 3 weeks, I won't have my bike/s with me. I race Masters crits and also ride gravel and MTB. Timing is looking like later October or early November. It would be cool to watch some crit racing or racing in general. Bike shops are ok but with the AUD they way it is, I won't be buying any bike stuff. All ideas and tips gratefully accepted.
Old 05-15-22, 02:40 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
if you ride masters crits/gravel/mtb, you'll want to rent a bike of some sort to hit something/anything in socal. depends on where you'll exactly be based and if that changes or you're in the same place the
entire time. late october-early november is prime time for riding here. let us know where you're staying and we can recommend specific road/gravel/mtb rides. LA area is decently large and encompasses beach flats, foothill rollers and
high (altitude) points above anything (continental) down under. bring your shoes/pedals and at least one entire kit + a windbreaker. worst case scenario? you ride the flat beach path along the pacific in tennis shoes or flip flops and do 70km rt.
if you don't rent a bike/bring your kit, you'll be kicking yourself the entire time.

Last edited by diphthong; 05-15-22 at 02:52 AM.
Old 05-15-22, 07:18 PM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked 922 Times in 539 Posts
Most of the race calendars I can find aren't showing anything that far in the future. Just keep searching So Call Bike Races and that will give you a little idea of what is around here.

Like ob said... things here are pretty spread out and depending where you're staying would depend on what we might suggest. But, with that said, whether you're going North into Ventura County, Staying in Los Angeles or hanging out down South in Orange County there's plenty of options.
Old 05-16-22, 07:29 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1776 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 983 Posts
I'd suggest you NOT ride when in Southern California (or the USA in general). Its going to be an expensive holiday for you, so use your time here to see the sites. As for bicycle riding and keeping fit, just use the hotels' fitness rooms to keep your legs in shape. Hotels at most price points have some type of 'fitness room' and you could use an exercise bicycle in those for a 30 minute-45 minute 'ride'.

October is a great month to be here in Los Angeles region - the weather is still nice, rates at local attractions and hotels are usually lower, and the crowds should have thinned down at attractions.
Old 05-16-22, 07:52 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1938 Post(s)
Liked 1,460 Times in 1,011 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
... you'll want to rent a bike of some sort to hit something/anything in socal. ...
Wait, bike shops still rent bikes since the pandemic started?
Old 05-16-22, 08:42 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
op...i think you might dig this. largest indoor velodrome in the united states nearish dtown los angeles/lax (la intl airport).

https://www.dignityhealthsportspark.com/velo

under "tickets & events," there is the "velo sports center" option. click there and drop down just little. it shows the calendar
of events easily found by clicking on the month tab and going to applicable day(s)/month(s). should be something fun to watch
at some point of your visit.

also a chance one of these might be going off during your stay:

https://www.ciclavia.org/events_history

Last edited by diphthong; 05-16-22 at 08:47 PM.
Old 08-22-22, 03:43 AM
AUPedla

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ooga-booga
op...i think you might dig this. largest indoor velodrome in the united states nearish dtown los angeles/lax (la intl airport).

https://www.dignityhealthsportspark.com/velo

under "tickets & events," there is the "velo sports center" option. click there and drop down just little. it shows the calendar
of events easily found by clicking on the month tab and going to applicable day(s)/month(s). should be something fun to watch
at some point of your visit.

also a chance one of these might be going off during your stay:

https://www.ciclavia.org/events_history
Thanks I'll check that out!

Next question is what bike shops should I check out? I ride BMC road and gravel also into retro 80s/90s race bikes. Any ideas?
Old 08-22-22, 07:45 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Where are you planning on staying?

Incycle rents bikes but I have no idea what the experience is like. Another idea is you're an RCC member, go to plan a trip to Rapha Los Angeles and use the bike hire. You're a few blocks away from Santa Monica Pier so it can be a good family day.

https://www.incycle.com/pages/rental

https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/clubhouses/los-angeles