Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Transporting twins

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Transporting twins

Old 05-24-22, 03:43 PM
TeaTimeTwins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Transporting twins

I used to have a great bike trailer that I took my first child around in. I sold it when I was pregnant because I knew it would be a long time before I could ride my bike anywhere. Now I’m looking for a new one, but I have no idea where to start. I have twins who were born extremely premature, they are now over age 1, (corrected age) but only one can sit independently, and they are both tiny - they are only just now reaching about 16 lbs. I also have my 5 year old, who is afraid to ride on his own for multiple reasons. I really need a trailer that can fit all three kids - my 5 year old is too big for a bike seat, and wants to ride “protected from bees” but the twins are really too small for a bike seat, and I honestly don’t know if my strength and balance is good enough yet to have one of them actually on my bike rather than in a trailer. I have been walking most places but the walking pace of a 5 year old is painfully slow.

Does anyone make a bike trailer that fits more than two kids?
Old 05-24-22, 04:42 PM
PacificSpray

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I don’t know of a three-child trailer but have never seriously looked. You seem to be a good candidate for a Dutch ‘bakfiets’ though. Some interesting YouTube clips on multiple kids being transported in the ‘bak’.
Old 06-16-22, 09:40 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 790 Times in 402 Posts
Bikes for 2 kids are common enough in Japan. Family bicycle
Old 06-17-22, 07:18 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,528 Times in 1,041 Posts
9 month old twins who will be 40 this year.

Old 06-17-22, 12:17 PM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
I'm not sure the OP is still around, or how much they're willing to pay for peddle transport for three kids. If I read the OP correctly, they're looking to transport twin infants and a five-year-old that's not riding their own bike yet. Transporting two kids is easy -- lots of bike trailers will do that. I had a Trek Go Bug that was awesome. Besides jogging stroller and bike trailer mode, I put skis on it and took it nordic skiing, and even made it into a dog cart so my dog could pull two kids.

Three is another level. To be practical, it would be best to wait until the older child is riding and the infants are able to sit up (hold their head up) in the bike trailer. Then nothing exotic would be necessary. If a person were determined and willing to spend a lot more, a center-loaded cargo bike could work:

In addition to the infant twins in the front, the five-year-old could ride a co-pilot style trailer-bike on the back:

Five could be getting big and heavy for a regular trailer, which is why the trailer-bike is better. If all the kids were small enough, a center-loaded cargo bike and two-seat trailer could carry four!
Likes For greatbasin:
Old 06-17-22, 01:40 PM
TeaTimeTwins

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by greatbasin
I'm not sure the OP is still around, or how much they're willing to pay for peddle transport for three kids. If I read the OP correctly, they're looking to transport twin infants and a five-year-old that's not riding their own bike yet. Transporting two kids is easy -- lots of bike trailers will do that. I had a Trek Go Bug that was awesome. Besides jogging stroller and bike trailer mode, I put skis on it and took it nordic skiing, and even made it into a dog cart so my dog could pull two kids.

Three is another level. To be practical, it would be best to wait until the older child is riding and the infants are able to sit up (hold their head up) in the bike trailer. Then nothing exotic would be necessary. If a person were determined and willing to spend a lot more, a center-loaded cargo bike could work:

In addition to the infant twins in the front, the five-year-old could ride a co-pilot style trailer-bike on the back:

Five could be getting big and heavy for a regular trailer, which is why the trailer-bike is better. If all the kids were small enough, a center-loaded cargo bike and two-seat trailer could carry four!
Thanks! You have summarized my situation very well. I do have a good two seat trailer and the babies are ok in it since it has seats that recline and I have a body support for the one who can’t sit independently. Putting them in the front of a cargo bike presents some problems of its own but the 5 year old could probably sit in there. He is indeed too heavy and likely too tall for most trailers I have seen.
Old 06-18-22, 12:11 AM
greatbasin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 65 Posts
Check out this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/recreatio...endations.html

The Tandem with a stoker kit and trailer looks like a great option for three kids. Not sure if it would allay your son's fears or protect him from bees though. If he's allergic, then I get it. If it's an irrational fear, then maybe check out your local bee club. Mine collaborates with 4-H and a local ranch so the kids can manage a small apiary - four hives. We're going to the meeting tomorrow. It's great fun and amazing to see what the bees do. I know that's not all a boy's fears though. I had one boy riding without training wheels all over town at 4 and another that was screaming bloody murder in terror as he rode down the block at 6. There's no rush. He enjoyed a big-wheel and put a lot of miles on that in those years. I regret pressuring him to ride a bike. Then later I pressured him to move from the scooter he was enjoying to a skateboard. I wasn't a jerk about it, but I wish I hadn't done it at all.
Old 06-18-22, 12:31 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My solution in nearly your shoes was to put the twins in a Bob stroller and the kiddo on his balance bike. When kiddo tapped out I could hang his bike on the handlebar of the stroller and he could ride on the nose. But a 5yo on a pedal bike might be to tall for that.

A long tail would do it, but that space in the garage was already full of a tandem. Kid stoker kit was tried but no one was a fan. Still have that dumb thing, not ridden in years
Old 09-08-22, 03:26 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Up to 4 kids in a Babboe!