Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

After 30 years car free, my 1-Year report on owning one again:

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

After 30 years car free, my 1-Year report on owning one again:

Old 09-18-22, 12:25 AM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts
This man has literally been “FREE from OWNING a car” aka CAR FREE” personally as an individual despite his wife owning a car, yet some of these muppets in the ‘car free cult’ are desperately trying to scrutinize and disprove his claim in order to somehow establish that he’s being disingenuous or have some ulterior motive. Is that it? Friggin weirdos lol.
Likes For Yune_Garage:
Old 09-18-22, 01:54 AM
M Rose

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 2 Disk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Yune_Garage
This man has literally been “FREE from OWNING a car” aka CAR FREE” personally as an individual despite his wife owning a car, yet some of these muppets in the ‘car free cult’ are desperately trying to scrutinize and disprove his claim in order to somehow establish that he’s being disingenuous or have some ulterior motive. Is that it? Friggin weirdos lol.
exactly… why should it matter if my wife owns a car and I occasionally ride in it? What’s the difference between me catching a ride with her opposed to
catching a ride via bus, taxi, or a friend? I don’t pay insurance on her car, I don’t pay for repairs, and unless it’s a long journey, I don’t even put gas in it. She pays 100% of the cars expenses… I don’t… likewise, I pay 100% for all of the bicycle maintenance, to include tires, chains, cassettes, and other normal wear items. I also pay for all of the food eaten in the house and 50% of the meals eaten outside the home. The other 50% of meals eaten out of the home are by her on her lunch break, or by myself when I’m out for a day ride.

year to date I have ridden 10,000 miles and she has driven 2,000 miles.
Likes For M Rose:
Old 09-18-22, 09:26 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by holytrousers
If you are a car lover, what has actually kept you car free for 30 years?
Cars cost a lot of money to maintain. I don't like to spend my money that way. Since I'm getting "older" having a car at hand allows me some nice rest days if needed. Getting to doctor appointments is easier. Cycling in my area has become even crazier than when I was young and carefree thanks to cell phone use and giant vehicles like pickup trucks that have become fashionable along with SUV "station wagons" that moms use for hauling around a couple kids.

Basically, after 30 years I just "gave up" the fight. Not worth it anymore.

And if you love cars, why call yourself car free, shouldn't you be rather calling yourself car less?
Only because the name of this message board is "Living Car Free". So to hang out with like-minded souls I refer to not owning or having 24-7 access to a car to be Car Free. I'm not offended by what other people call it or think about it. We all have our OPINIONS, and mine is worth exactly what I'm charging you for it.

Even though I have joined the ranks of "cagers" once again I feel I still have much to add to this place for those interested in ditching the car, or thinking about getting one.

Cheers!
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 09-18-22, 09:40 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,384 Times in 708 Posts
shades of grey here.

we are “car-light.” have a car (two actually), don’t use it regularly. four people, approx 4,000 miles a year for the last 10 years, virtually all of which is long trips and monthly outdoor adventures.

cost before gas is $250/mo parking, $125/mo insurance, and over the life of the car approx $15k of depreciation, or another $125/mo. maintenance is a rounding error on a modern car which is rarely driven and well kept, they’re incredibly reliable.

so, $500/mo or $6k/year for the freedom to go anywhere when desired. if you bury the cost of the parking in your residence (of course land and buildings aren’t free, but in most of america you don’t really have the choice to buy one without parking) it’s half that. a bargain, really, assuming you’re not a day slave to it and traffic and the whims of oil prices.
Old 09-18-22, 01:00 PM
holytrousers
hoppipola

Bikes: fausto coppi

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Cars cost a lot of money to maintain. I don't like to spend my money that way. Since I'm getting "older" having a car at hand allows me some nice rest days if needed. Getting to doctor appointments is easier. Cycling in my area has become even crazier than when I was young and carefree thanks to cell phone use and giant vehicles like pickup trucks that have become fashionable along with SUV "station wagons" that moms use for hauling around a couple kids.

Basically, after 30 years I just "gave up" the fight. Not worth it anymore.

Only because the name of this message board is "Living Car Free". So to hang out with like-minded souls I refer to not owning or having 24-7 access to a car to be Car Free. I'm not offended by what other people call it or think about it. We all have our OPINIONS, and mine is worth exactly what I'm charging you for it.

Even though I have joined the ranks of "cagers" once again I feel I still have much to add to this place for those interested in ditching the car, or thinking about getting one.

Cheers!
Thanks for the clarifications, but does it mean that your financial situation was the only reason that made you "fight" for those last 30 years ?
Old 09-18-22, 06:55 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Thanks for the clarifications, but does it mean that your financial situation was the only reason that made you "fight" for those last 30 years ?
My financial situation never stopped me from having a car. I just didn't want to spend my money THAT way. I enjoyed working a year, taking a year off. I managed that lifestyle for about 30 years. That was great when i was "young". Now I'm 63yo and working a job that requires me to be there all year (for free health insurance) until I reach Medicare age. So long as I'm TRAPPED in the "American Dream" for now, I might as well go all-in and live for the weekends like most Americans.

Also, due to safety concerns, I don't do any more road riding. Indoor trainer or a nearby Rail-Trail about 35 minute DRIVE away from home. 24 miles of that drive are on a bridge that does not allow bikes, not that I would bike it anyway.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 09-20-22, 10:47 AM
Gear_Admiral 

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
> Also, due to safety concerns, I don't do any more road riding. Indoor trainer or a nearby Rail-Trail about 35 minute DRIVE away from home. 24 miles of that drive are on a bridge that does not allow bikes, not that I would bike it anyway.

This is a legitimate concern!

You should lament how hard it is to live car-light and how unsafe it is to simply ride on roads. You're in the USA where car ownership and/or regular access is a de facto tax on most residents for just living daily life in the country anywhere outside of NYC.

However, the thread title is not quite accurate.

Here is what others and I am reading from your previous posts in this thread: "I'm a vegetarian, except for the steak meals my spouse makes for me every week and the bacon I have every morning, but I don't have a pig farm and I have to go to a grocery store only when they allow me (i.e., during business hours). Because I don't have free and unlimited access to meat 24/7, I am no different from any other vegetarian. I can therefore comment on the vegan lifestyle: on what it is like having to find restaurants that don't have meat, on what I do to get enough proteins, iron, and vitamin B12."

If you had just said, "I'm a fit bike commuter who just hit his 60s, but the American infrastructural landscape and the American health care system pretty much have forced me to go from being car-light to commuting daily in an automobile. :-(" then the reactions would have been far different.

Some people are acting like gatekeepers because your posts came off as if you were someone who minimizes exposure to food additives loaded with high fructose corn syrup who then lumps himself with people who must avoid the substance entirely due to an allergy and acts like an expert on living in America with a corn allergy. (This is very hard because American foodstuffs in grocery stores and many dishes in restaurants in America sneak at least a little high fructose corn syrup into many things.)

Just as those you have set to ignore may judged you hastily, you may be judging hastily, too. They may see someone with de facto regular access (though not constant or on-demand access) to a car, space to store said car, the income to afford said car, and a spouse who can use said car to run errands as someone unable to truly understand what it is like to live 100% car-free in America. I would place people like myself in the car-free category: only driving very occasionally in a rental once every four months or not at all. People in this position by choice, money, location, or some combination have legitimate reasons for disputing your self-description of having been car-free for thirty years.
Likes For Gear_Admiral:
Old 09-29-22, 08:04 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by Gear_Admiral
Here is what others and I am reading from your previous posts in this thread: "I'm a vegetarian, except for the steak meals my spouse makes for me every week and the bacon I have every morning..."
Correction..."I'm a vegetarian but my wife is not. Every morning I smell her bacon cooking, and every evening I smell her grilling chicken, steaks, or hamburger, but I do not eat it because she paid for it (I'm too cheap to buy meat) and only buys enough for her."

Does SMELLING the meat cancel my vegetarianism? Or having it AVAILABLE in the house but it does not belong to me?

If you had just said, "I'm a fit bike commuter who just hit his 60s, but the American infrastructural landscape and the American health care system pretty much have forced me to go from being car-light to commuting daily in an automobile. :-(" then the reactions would have been far different.
Just to set the record straight: I still commute by bike (walk or skate) to work. The car is like a motor home - weekend recreational use. I might drive to the doctor if I'm sick also.

Just as those you have set to ignore may judged you hastily, you may be judging hastily, too. They may see someone with de facto regular access (though not constant or on-demand access) to a car, space to store said car, the income to afford said car, and a spouse who can use said car to run errands as someone unable to truly understand what it is like to live 100% car-free in America. I would place people like myself in the car-free category: only driving very occasionally in a rental once every four months or not at all. People in this position by choice, money, location, or some combination have legitimate reasons for disputing your self-description of having been car-free for thirty years.
I was car-free AND wife free for the first 10 years after ditching my car and motorcycle at 30 years of age. Zero access to anything except taxi service and rental cars. So yes, I know what it means to be "car-free" to purists. The world isn't binary, thank God.
Old 09-29-22, 08:08 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

...They may see someone with de facto regular access (though not constant or on-demand access) to a car, space to store said car, the income to afford said car, and a spouse who can use said car to run errands as someone unable to truly understand what it is like to live 100% car-free in America....
First of all those ppl I blocked are jerks and trolls. Period.

You're new here. I've been here since 2007. Don't act like you know s**t about this place because you don't. Yet.

You'll learn. You sound like a reasonable person. The trolls will find you soon enough.

Cheers!

Last edited by JoeyBike; 09-30-22 at 09:21 AM.
Old 01-20-23, 04:01 PM
EBikeFanatic

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I barely drive but I do like cars. Too many be miserable people who just treat driving like a chore when in reality it’s quite fun when you don’t do it everyday for hours
Likes For EBikeFanatic:
Old 01-27-23, 11:16 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by EBikeFanatic
I barely drive but I do like cars. Too many be miserable people who just treat driving like a chore when in reality it’s quite fun when you don’t do it everyday for hours
I love owning a car and driving it occasionally. My 2003 Camry is basically an RV. I only drive it for fun outings and occasionally out of necessity if I'm too sick to bike or the weather is terrible. As I said earlier, I went car-free for 30 years just because I didn't want to spend my money that way. I am def not an anit-car guy.
Old 01-29-23, 08:36 AM
harrier6

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 16 Posts
A car breaking down was the reason I went car-free not too long ago, and the experience with maintaining and repairing a bike since then would definitely inform my decision to get a car or other motorized transport in the future. It might be harder to find these days, but having some thing simple, cheap, and easy to work on is important I think.
Likes For harrier6:
Old 03-18-23, 06:22 AM
SB1501

Bikes: Giant Escape 3 (2021), Raleigh Edale (2016)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
This post inspired me to make mine about my personal costs last year / this year / next year for running my car. Where I live, replacing a car with a bike is a pipe dream and something people widen their eyes at you for seriously suggesting!

When I look at the cost of some high end commuting electric bikes at £5k, the lack of maintenance and worry compared to a car (I also drive a Toyota saloon) is night and day. Even with a Toyota which are arguably the lest worrying / most reliable and down to earth vehicles on the road...
Likes For SB1501: