Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Suggestion for Forum

Old 11-06-22, 02:04 AM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Suggestion for Forum

People come on the forum and make various requests. That's fine and certainly a major forum function.

It is annoying when you have no idea where they are located. Note how often people who are trying to help have to ask, "where are you located"? On the Touring thread, for example, I'm not going to recommend a short but rewarding trail in Delaware, Pennsylvania, Maryland or New Jersey (my familiar areas) if I know that the person requesting advice is way west of the Mississippi.

My suggestion...Require that everyone at least identify the state or country they reside/ride in as a part of their profile. Specific towns and cities would be nice, but not necessary and could be optional. For US members, a dropdown box should be required so people don't make up "witty" answers "like state of oblivion" or "state of confusion", etc.

State residence is too vague to be an invasion of privacy or identifying data so only a few would or should complain.

Thank you.

Last edited by MAK; 11-06-22 at 02:14 AM.
Old 11-06-22, 07:49 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Everybody's definition of privacy is different. Some folks just want to be anonymous. Requiring all users to provide location will either inhibit registration or result in a lot of 'incorrect' selections. Most posts that I read rarely have questions that are location specific. When they are, the OP will generally give enough info. Life has a lot of annoyances but most of us just deal with them.
Likes For Moe Zhoost:
Old 11-07-22, 07:27 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
I agree that if someone asks for help they should say what country they are in. Some framebuilder on facebook asked for torch selections. I figured out they were from the U.K. from their poor grasp of English (j/k). But the answers to that question are totally different in the U.S. and the U.K.

If you lived in Andorra you might feel differently
Old 11-20-22, 08:11 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Under regional discussions I request that the current Texas be renamed Northern Texas since the posts are all DFW and area related. Add a Southern Texas Forum and this my promote posts for SA, Houston and Austin areas. This also makes sense since the same breakdown exists for CA, ie N.CA & S.CA. TX is bigger than CA and deserves the same.
Will this request be completed?
Old 11-20-22, 08:15 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by joesch
Under regional discussions I request that the current Texas be renamed Northern Texas since the posts are all DFW and area related. Add a Southern Texas Forum and this my promote posts for SA, Houston and Austin areas. This also makes sense since the same breakdown exists for CA, ie N.CA & S.CA. TX is bigger than CA and deserves the same.
Will this request be completed?
Just rechecked and my statement above "posts are all DFW and area related" is not true, they are all mixed for TX so breakup would be more difficult. I would understand not taking any action.
Joe
Old 11-20-22, 08:26 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Originally Posted by MAK
My suggestion...Require that everyone at least identify the state or country they reside/ride in as a part of their profile.
That ought to be up to the person being asked to divulge private matters, IMO.

Forcible dictation by a forum is, well, just that. And it's not something many people appreciate. IF a given reply's applicability requires knowledge of the region where a person is speaking of, then the question can be asked of the person ... leaving it up to that person to divulge or not.
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 11-20-22, 01:34 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
If location information is required, then will it need to be validated? Or might we just pay $8.00 and get a blue check mark?
Old 11-20-22, 09:55 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Or you could get a rainbow jersey instead of a yellow jersey
Old 11-21-22, 04:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,297 Times in 7,230 Posts
Maybe someone wants advice/information on where they will be going, not where they are.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 11-22-22, 11:16 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
That ought to be up to the person being asked to divulge private matters, IMO.

Forcible dictation by a forum is, well, just that. And it's not something many people appreciate. IF a given reply's applicability requires knowledge of the region where a person is speaking of, then the question can be asked of the person ... leaving it up to that person to divulge or not.

Also, someone might have valid reasons for being exceptionally protective of their identity and location information that we wouldn't anticipate,especially when the forum is international.