Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Covered Bridge Metric - Lancaster, PA

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Covered Bridge Metric - Lancaster, PA

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-06, 08:36 PM
RoadToNowhere
mamafitz

Bikes: Serotta CDA, Cannondale R800, mid-80's Bianchi hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hiya, Bibi!

I think I have a few phone numbers around from last year's ride. . .think I'll give Kirke a call. So glad you're coming!!

Beth
Old 07-02-06, 08:49 PM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boogs
We have to develop some kind of "gangsta" handshake. Old Treks are awesome, ain't dey?
They sure are! When I first got started REALLY cycling I baught a Bianchi (over $1k) I like it but it does not compare to the 22 year old, like new Trek 720 I got for $80. The ride is great!
I was looking for a beater but I wound up with a 'Sunday, go to meeting' bike.

Sorry, didn’t mean to hijack the thread. See you at the CBMC!
Old 07-03-06, 06:13 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Please add me to the PM info list. I will probably be riding w/ my 12 y/o son. It will be his first organized event. He has asked to do the Seagull w/ me later this year, it should be a good warm-up event. File us into the go slow & casual pace line. Bob
Old 07-03-06, 10:34 AM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bibi
Kloden, I'm thrilled you're coming, especially since you missed Bucks. Are you and Mirona gonna be shaving? It could be a big draw for les femmes, you know, especially if we had a little judging afterwards? HigherG -- you in?

I'll be there... Hopefully the DHS Treat Level Red for Bad Humor won't scare anyone else away!
Old 07-04-06, 12:24 PM
Bibi
Potatoes al dente

Bikes: Bella/Princess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But what about your legs? C'mon, boys ... I need motivation on these hot days to ride longer with a good view!
Old 07-04-06, 03:14 PM
oboeguy
34x25 FTW!

Bikes: Kona Jake, Scott CR1, Dahon SpeedPro

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might do this for fun. Is there some sort of PM list? (didn't read the whole thread)
Old 07-04-06, 03:29 PM
gurana
Tęte de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Mirona, Please add me to the PM list.

Anybody from the Maryland, DC area interested in carpooling on that Saturday evening can PM me... warning though, that I'm still on the fence with this, but more on the side of going. I am still scheduled to be out of town that previous week, but I'm making arrangements to get home Saturday morning. I have a small car and a rack that holds 3 bikes.

MW
Old 07-04-06, 03:50 PM
derath

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in as well. I will be heading up early sunday morning though. I can take one other person if someone wants to head up with me.

-D
Old 07-04-06, 03:54 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by PenguinDeD
Maybe! I have to see if my race schedule will allow for it.
And I can't, have a race the day before
Old 07-04-06, 04:00 PM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Anybody who PM's me with their contact info, like a cell phone #, will get a PM before the ride with a list of contacts.
Old 07-04-06, 04:01 PM
mirona
I can't find my pants

Bikes: 07 Specialized Langster Comp,06 Kona King Zing, 06 Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc; 03 LOOK KG461;(destroyed by suv); 85 Panasonic Team America; 73 Peugeot U0-8; 94 Balance Super B BMX; 04 Diamondback Outlook MTB, Diamondback DBR DH

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
But what about your legs? C'mon, boys ... I need motivation on these hot days to ride longer with a good view!
I got the hookup
Old 07-04-06, 04:22 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
But what about your legs?
They will be there too. Just look for the whitest pair in the bunch.
Old 07-04-06, 06:54 PM
Fly_Capt

Bikes: '00 GT Course & Schwin Mountian

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newbie here. I plan to ride this event myself and hoping to add some of my buddies too. Otherwise I hope to met some of you all there. This will be my first organized ride and looking forward to it. Anybody has any advise on what I should carry please PM as I would appricate the help greatly.
Old 07-05-06, 02:21 AM
MikeR
Very Senior Member

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi San Remo and a mint 1984 Trek 720

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fly_Capt
Newbie here. I plan to ride this event myself and hoping to add some of my buddies too. Otherwise I hope to met some of you all there. This will be my first organized ride and looking forward to it. Anybody has any advise on what I should carry please PM as I would appricate the help greatly.
Welcome, Fly_Capt. This is a good ride to have as you first. The ride is well supported so you don't need much. Helmet, water bottle, sunscreen, whatever tools and spares that you normally carry, a cell phone is nice put not a must. If you like to use a map and/or cue sheet bring a map/cue sheet holder. On this ride a map and cue sheet are not necessary because the route is well marked and there are enough people to follow. That's it - except a bike of course :-)
Old 07-05-06, 08:42 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
hmmm.

Depends on how it goes between now and then. If I think they can be 'unveiled' without looking like a pair of sticks, then yeah, I think so. No promises though....
Old 07-05-06, 09:16 AM
RoadToNowhere
mamafitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeR
Welcome, Fly_Capt. This is a good ride to have as you first. The ride is well supported so you don't need much. Helmet, water bottle, sunscreen, whatever tools and spares that you normally carry, a cell phone is nice put not a must. If you like to use a map and/or cue sheet bring a map/cue sheet holder. On this ride a map and cue sheet are not necessary because the route is well marked and there are enough people to follow. That's it - except a bike of course :-)
Mike's got it right; the route is well-marked, and the club volunteers were stationed at major crossings, stopping traffic for us.

Last year's ride was on a verrrry hot day. The rest stops ran out of gatorade by the time we came through, so if that's your thing it's not a bad idea to carry a couple of packets of powdered mix. Also, on a long ride on a hot day, my stomach gets pretty particular; I feel more comfortable carrying what suits me, rather than relying on what's available at the rest stops.

Anyone tried the Jelly Belly Sport Beans? Fantastic . . . they pack more of a potassium/sodium punch than Shot Blox, and can be eaten a little at a time, unlike gels. Kinda like Underdog's Super Energy Vitamin Pills

Looks like we'll have a nice, big group for the ride - can't wait! Especially if Dex and Mirona are gonna show off their gams . . .

Beth

PS Mike - were you in E-ville yesterday around 12:30 with that cool bike strapped to the back of your car? We came through on our way to a family picnic, and I could swear I recognized those fenders . . .
Old 07-05-06, 10:42 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Originally Posted by RoadToNowhere
Anyone tried the Jelly Belly Sport Beans? Fantastic . . . they pack more of a potassium/sodium punch than Shot Blox, and can be eaten a little at a time, unlike gels. Kinda like Underdog's Super Energy Vitamin Pills

I've tried them, though not on a ride. Tasted like, um, jelly beans. Too sugary for me. And I didn't think I'd be able to effectively eat them while moving; I saw myself trying to open the bag and DOH! exploding jelly bellys go all over the road. So I stick with powerbar gels and powerbars. hey, works for me...

sidenote: Powerbar has redone their gels, much more liquidy now than the warm snot they used to be. I'm a fan...
Old 07-05-06, 01:02 PM
gurana
Tęte de Limace

Bikes: 2001 Lemond Nevada City; ~1987 Peugeot US Express; ~1985 Panasonic Sport 500

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Odds are stacking up against the favor of my going... just got word that the thing I was going out of town for is probably going to extend past the weekend of the 20th. The idea I had about coming home for that weekend was effectively shot down because if it does go over, I'll have work to do that weekend Now the only way I'll be able to go is if things wrap up on that Friday; but since I can't accurately predict if that'll happen, the only way I'll be able to go is to sign up the day of.

To add insult to injury, I was also told that the town I'm going to isn't all that great...
Old 07-05-06, 01:45 PM
SpongeDad
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex
I've tried them, though not on a ride. Tasted like, um, jelly beans. Too sugary for me. And I didn't think I'd be able to effectively eat them while moving; I saw myself trying to open the bag and DOH! exploding jelly bellys go all over the road. So I stick with powerbar gels and powerbars. hey, works for me...

sidenote: Powerbar has redone their gels, much more liquidy now than the warm snot they used to be. I'm a fan...
I've been chowing down on Clif bloks - lime. (I detest Clif Shots though.) So far, they've held up pretty well in the heat.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 07-05-06, 03:51 PM
RoadToNowhere
mamafitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by superdex

Ahh, but get yourself a Bento Box (see below), open up those Jelly Beans before you start out, and nibble 'em as you go. Definitely, they're sugary and stronger in flavor than regular jelly beans; really suits me well in the heat. Clif bloks are my second choice.

If you promise not to drop me like a hot potato, I'll share a few

Beth
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Bento-Box.jpg (99.6 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-05-06, 03:53 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Originally Posted by RoadToNowhere
Ahh, but get yourself a Bento Box (see below), open up those Jelly Beans before you start out, and nibble 'em as you go. Definitely, they're sugary and stronger in flavor than regular jelly beans; really suits me well in the heat. Clif bloks are my second choice.

If you promise not to drop me like a hot potato, I'll share a few

Beth
I didn't drop ya last year, it's too much fun hangin with you all
Old 07-05-06, 08:59 PM
Bibi
Potatoes al dente

Bikes: Bella/Princess

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gurana, ordinarily I'd offer you a spot and slot on the bike rack, but we're heading to philly to drop the spongesons for the day. It'd be great to see you there, so maybe your other trip won't interfere afterall. i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Mirona -- I'm working on my hills in all this awful heat. Save your bungie cord for someone else.

any news on the ice cream?

Beth, where'd you get that bento box?
Old 07-05-06, 09:41 PM
gurana
Tęte de Limace

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Gurana, ordinarily I'd offer you a spot and slot on the bike rack, but we're heading to philly to drop the spongesons for the day. It'd be great to see you there, so maybe your other trip won't interfere afterall. i'll keep my fingers crossed.

Mirona -- I'm working on my hills in all this awful heat. Save your bungie cord for someone else.

Thanks Bibi. I really appreciate the thought. Getting up there's not going to be a problem for me though. I have a car and a rack that holds three bikes. I would love to be able to offer some localers a ride, as I'm all about conservation, but since i can't guarantee I'll even be going, that's not going to be possible. I have a feeling that if I do go, I'll most likely be riding up there late saturday, or early sunday and just registering at the ride. I have a feeling I won't know for sure until that previous thursday. By thursday I'll know if I'm staying past friday.
Old 07-05-06, 09:52 PM
RoadToNowhere
mamafitz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Right here: https://www.rei.com/index.jsp - search "Bento Box", and you'll be all set. It's a great thing; I hate stuff hanging in my jersey pockets, so this takes care of it. Got all my "stuff" right in front of me, low profile.

If there's no ice cream, well then we'll just go get our own!

Beth
Old 07-06-06, 08:06 AM
JugglerDave

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Plenty of good ice cream here in Philadelphia! I don't know about anywhere on the bike route though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.