Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale CAAD 8 for my 12 year old soon. Thoughts?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-06, 03:14 PM
ripa
51.8977°N 8.4711°W

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

My 12 (about to turn 13) year old son wants a road bike in the worst way. We visited the LBS this weekend and they have a Red Cannondale CAAD 8 in the perfect size for him. They’re asking $1,000 flat; I think it normally sells for $1,500 or so. I know that the CAAD 9 is coming out soon and it should be better but for his first road bike I think this is a really good deal and a heck of a lot of bike. Any thoughts on the bike or other recommendations on other bikes would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-24-06, 03:16 PM
CastIron
Sensible shoes.

Bikes: A few.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lucky kid. He'll outgrow whatever you get him before CAAD9 comes out. Is your son really at a point where a full race rig is appropriate? Just something to consider.
Originally Posted by cedricbosch
Why am I in your signature.
Old 07-24-06, 03:33 PM
nesdog

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 39 Posts
How is the sizing on the bike for him? I think it's a safe assumption that he is only going to get taller at this point and so you may be purchasing a bike for him that he will outgrow in short order. There is no way I'd spend 1K on that nice of a machine for my 11-1/2 year old daughter knowing that.

I would look for a less expensive, maybe-not-so-good bike. Okay, so he'll be a bit disappointed but unless you are made of $$$, it's not the best move. But....you already know this, huh?

My 2 cents...

Sheldon
Old 07-24-06, 09:54 PM
ripa
51.8977°N 8.4711°W

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
He rides with me now on his MTB and can keep up if he drafts at 17-18 mph. We don't have many hills where we live so it really helps him if I pull him along. The longest he's done is 30 miles. He's already 5'5" - 5'6" and wants to ride so bad. He's a really good son who does well in school, plays baseball and football and just got into cross country at his school. He watches OLN for any and all shows on bike racing. $1,000is a lot of money and I'm afraid he will grow out of it before I know it. If thats the case it will go instorage until his 10 year old brother can ride it or I'll strip the parts and put it on another bike for me or one for him. It comes with 105 and ultegra. Thanks for the feedback I'll keep you posted.
Old 07-24-06, 10:01 PM
woodcycl
Cycle for life...

Bikes: Trek 5200 | Cannondale Six13 TeamOne | Cannondale Road Tandem | Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
If you have the $$ (which you must, or you wouldn't have asked us for our opinion) I would go for it -- sounds like you have other options for the bike as you mention above. Hopefully, you'll have 1 (and maybe 2) cyclists in your family besides you. That would be great! I say go for it if you feel it would be good for you, for him, and eventually the younger sibling! Let us know.
06' Cannondale Six13 TeamOne
06' Cannondale Prophet 3 "Lefty"
92' Trek 5200
Old 07-24-06, 10:07 PM
thatguy
hehe... member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One thought, the CAAD8 frames are not bank-breakers. If you did need to move up a size in a few years, most, if not all the components could be swiched over to the new (CAAD10?!) frame. You might need new crankarms, stem or wider handlebars, depending on how he grows, but still....
Old 07-24-06, 10:09 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Daddy ??

Old 07-24-06, 10:19 PM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Good for you Dad.

To everyone else - never underestimate what a father is willing to do for his son - especially if it involves something they can do together.

And if he outgrows the frame, the components will be good for future builds. Good luck.

55/Rad
Old 07-25-06, 06:53 AM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ripa; I did something similar for my 2 sons this past Christmas. One 12 yo & one 14 yo. Both are almost @ their expected height. Both learned to ride on a vintage Bridgestone w/ tubulars & are learning bike mechanics/maintenance. Both understand the value & ride. It is much easier for them to ride with me now. They use the bikes for rides, not knocking around the neighborhood. That's what other bikes are for.

My thinking is along Rad's line. There will be greater residual value with these bikes in the future compared to a lesser bikes, Hopefully, the cost of long-term ownership will be less and the riding enjoyment greater. Go for it if everything checks out. I hope your son enjoys this new bike as much as mine do. Bob
Old 07-25-06, 07:08 AM
ulmer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I second the "do it" votes! I started riding around 14 and doing group rides and had a blast racing juniors during high school. Probably the most positive life experience I had during those years and wouldn't have been possible without some partial financial assistance from my parents. They benefited in return by my having less time and energy to get into trouble since I was riding all the time. :-)

If he's out riding this bike all the time and it's a great deal, it will be a worthwhile investment. Like was mentioned, you can always upgrade the frame to a larger size later or sell it and find another great deal when he outgrows it eventually.

Have fun!!
Old 07-25-06, 07:28 AM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Well I guess that I'm going to have to be a lone voice reccomending caution.

Now I suppose that I'm biased. I paid for my first real custom racing bike by mowing lawns and washing cars. I was spending my own money and it was up to me to look after it. Now what am I getting at?

A CAAD 8 frame is not renowned for its knock about ability. Would you do you block if he brought it back one day with a dent in the frame?, if he left it outside in the rain?

From the point of view of developing in the sport of cycle racing you don't need a flash bike. Some of the fastest kids are riding cheap frames with Sora components because it's whats in them that counts.

I'd be concerned that an expensive bike at this stage could become the cause of arguments and distrust and that at the moment a cheaper bike would better suit his current needs.

Regards, Anthony
Old 07-25-06, 07:48 AM
Red is Faster!
...need...more...power...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can easily sell the Caad8 when it outgrows it and get a good chunk of you rmoney back. Try doing that with a Trek 1000!

Lucky kid!
Old 07-25-06, 08:49 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 711 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by AnthonyG
A CAAD 8 frame is not renowned for its knock about ability. Would you do you block if he brought it back one day with a dent in the frame?, if he left it outside in the rain?
I would be a little concerned about this with a 12 year old boy. My wife's CAAD 8 fell over in the garage, and suffered a fatal dent to the top tube. If your son is careful with it, it shouldn't be a problem. But if he's your average 12 year old and tosses it around it could be an issue. I bought a TREK 1500 for my daughter, in part because I thought the frame was a little beefier, and therefore less subject to denting (I don't have any data to back that up, but the frame definitely feels stouter.)
Old 07-25-06, 08:59 AM
Biggziff
not as fat as I was

Bikes: Trek 7000, Trek 5500, Fuji Newest 1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 55/Rad
Good for you Dad.

To everyone else - never underestimate what a father is willing to do for his son - especially if it involves something they can do together.

And if he outgrows the frame, the components will be good for future builds. Good luck.

55/Rad

Edited for content..

To everyone else - never underestimate what a father is willing to do for his child - especially if it involves something they can do together.
Old 07-25-06, 10:10 AM
55/Rad
Former Hoarder

Bikes: Seven Axiom, Felt Z1, Dave Moulton Fuso

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Biggziff
Edited for content..

To everyone else - never underestimate what a father is willing to do for his child - especially if it involves something they can do together.
Thank you. Being the Dad to 2 sons, I sometimes forget there are equally special daughters in the world as well.
Old 07-25-06, 10:32 AM
40-Dan
Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I, for one, can't wait until my little girl is big enough to go on real rides with me.

That appears to be a great deal on the bike, and what would you spend on an entry level ride w/ Sora components? $600 at the least???

Seeing that you have another one coming along who could "inherit" the bike when the oldest one outgrows it, OR you can salvage the components and swap in a bigger frame, OR the re-sale value of a CADD8 is apparently pretty good, AND if you have the $$$, count me in with the "do-it" crowd.

Dan
Old 07-25-06, 12:50 PM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ripa
My 12 (about to turn 13) year old son wants a road bike in the worst way. We visited the LBS this weekend and they have a Red Cannondale CAAD 8 in the perfect size for him. They’re asking $1,000 flat; I think it normally sells for $1,500 or so. I know that the CAAD 9 is coming out soon and it should be better but for his first road bike I think this is a really good deal and a heck of a lot of bike. Any thoughts on the bike or other recommendations on other bikes would be great. Thanks!
All these responses and remember...the advantage is that Cannondale offers a frame trade up program...you can move up to a nicer frame by trading in the old one. A big Cannondale advantage.
Old 07-25-06, 05:19 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
I would be a little concerned about this with a 12 year old boy. My wife's CAAD 8 fell over in the garage, and suffered a fatal dent to the top tube. If your son is careful with it, it shouldn't be a problem. But if he's your average 12 year old and tosses it around it could be an issue. I bought a TREK 1500 for my daughter, in part because I thought the frame was a little beefier, and therefore less subject to denting (I don't have any data to back that up, but the frame definitely feels stouter.)
Just to add, my first real racing bike was a custom built Reynolds 531 frame although pretty much everyone had custom built racing frames 25 years ago and it cost me $165 for the frame which was quite a bit more back then and I paid for it with odd jobs.

Anyway it was my pride and joy but being 14 years old it scored quite a few paint chips and scratches, I'm sure it fell over on a few occasions and it scored one small dent in the top tube but being Reynolds 531 steel it was sturdy and its still alive today. I recently had it resprayed and I will rebuild it for sentimental reasons sometime soon.

Anyway I would probably have destroyed something as fragile as a CAAD 8 frame if it was available back then and as I said this was my own money I was spending too.

Regards, Anthony
Old 07-25-06, 06:14 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuff cal hes gona out grow that realy fast. Have you conisdered getting a bike slightly to large so he gets a couple seasons out of it? Im not talking something way to large but a cm or 2.
Old 07-25-06, 06:17 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roadwarrior
All these responses and remember...the advantage is that Cannondale offers a frame trade up program...you can move up to a nicer frame by trading in the old one. A big Cannondale advantage.

Doh did not know that so scratch my previous reply and get that bike

Hmm i wonder if i could trade in my old frame from 1987 even if im the secound owner and have no receit heh