Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

CA National Forests (roads/trails) closed until September 17th, 2021

Notices
Southern California Southern California

Old 08-31-21, 09:31 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/photos/CALN...0-195252-0.pdf
Pursuant to 16 U.S.C. § 551 and 36 C.F.R. § 261.50(a) and (b), and to provide for public safety and protect natural resources, the following acts are prohibited on National Forest System lands within the Pacific Southwest Region. This Order supersedes Regional Order No. 21-04 and is effective from August 31, 2021, at 11:59 p.m. through September 17, 2021, at 11:59 p.m.

1. Going into or being upon National Forest System lands within the National Forests listed below.
a. Tahoe National Forest

b. Lake Tahoe Basin Management Unit

c. Plumas National Forest

d. Lassen National Forest

e. Mendocino National Forest

f. Klamath National Forest

g. Six Rivers National Forest

h. Shasta-Trinity National Forest

i. Modoc National Forest

j. Cleveland National Forest

k. San Bernardino National Forest

l. Angeles National Forest

m. Los Padres National Forest

n. Sequoia National Forest

o. Sierra National Forest

p. Stanislaus National Forest

q. Inyo National Forest
2. Being on a National Forest System road within the National Forests listed below.
a. Tahoe National Forest

i. Modoc National Forest

q. Inyo National Forest
3. Being on a National Forest System trail within the National Forests listed below.
a. Tahoe National Forest

i. Modoc National Forest

q. Inyo National Forest

Last edited by Elvo; 08-31-21 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-31-21, 10:14 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4832 Post(s)
Liked 7,825 Times in 3,706 Posts
Well, damn. That kind of limits my MTB rides for a little while.
Old 08-31-21, 10:28 AM
Elvo

Here's a list of what is open (as of 8/31):
-Cherry Canyon (La Canada)⁠⁠
-Glendale Sports Complex (Glendale)⁠⁠
-Verdugo Mountains (Glendale)⁠⁠
-Deukmejian Wilderness Park (Glendale)⁠⁠
-Tapia Canyon (Castaic)⁠⁠
-Turnbull Canyon (Whittier)⁠⁠
-Rocky Peak Area (Simi Valley)⁠⁠
-Bonelli Park (San Dimas)⁠⁠
-Santa Monica Mountains⁠⁠
Likes For Elvo:
Old 08-31-21, 06:38 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Looks like a hard closure that includes hikers, cyclists, MTB'ers. . .
Guess they're afraid carbon frames will assplode and cause a conflagration.
Old 08-31-21, 06:41 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
I'm betting the closure goes until Thanksgiving, or the first rain, which ever comes first.
Likes For trailangel:
Old 08-31-21, 08:11 PM
diphthong

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1619 Post(s)
Liked 3,087 Times in 1,670 Posts
wondering how many of the paved roads will be closed during this time? angeles nf for example...they could close hwy 2 from just above the last set of homes in
la cañada to wrightwood but will they? gmr/grr is a given. closing everything but the state highways through the forests? all it takes is one idiot with one blunt...
Old 09-01-21, 06:51 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Here's a list of what is open (as of 8/31):
-Cherry Canyon (La Canada)⁠⁠
-Glendale Sports Complex (Glendale)⁠⁠
-Verdugo Mountains (Glendale)⁠⁠
-Deukmejian Wilderness Park (Glendale)⁠⁠
-Tapia Canyon (Castaic)⁠⁠
-Turnbull Canyon (Whittier)⁠⁠
-Rocky Peak Area (Simi Valley)⁠⁠
-Bonelli Park (San Dimas)⁠⁠
-Santa Monica Mountains⁠⁠
Phew--Cherry is one of my regular rides right near where I live.
Thanks for this list. I literally just about an hour ago attempted to ride out Gabrieleno to the dam, and they were there closing off the gate.
Old 09-02-21, 10:01 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Originally Posted by pbass
Phew--Cherry is one of my regular rides right near where I live.
Thanks for this list. I literally just about an hour ago attempted to ride out Gabrieleno to the dam, and they were there closing off the gate.
Looks like I will be on Cherry and GSC for my dirt rides, unless I toss my bike in the car. I drove by the Windsor gate last night about 6:00, and the sign indicating that it was closed was already up. It will be no surprise if some people ignore it.
Old 09-02-21, 10:30 AM
pbass

Originally Posted by Eric F
Looks like I will be on Cherry and GSC for my dirt rides, unless I toss my bike in the car.
I hear ya. I ride out Gabrieleno all the time on my gravel bike when I don't feel like climbing my arse off around here!
Old 09-02-21, 11:00 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

I hear ya. I ride out Gabrieleno all the time on my gravel bike when I don't feel like climbing my arse off around here!
I've been doing Brown on my singlespeed a lot recently, and descending via El P or Millard, depending on what I'm feeling like. My out and back route to Cherry via Hahamonga and Flint Canyon Trail is not very challenging, and is starting to get a bit stale, but riding from home doesn't leave me a lot of other options with ANF closed.
Old 09-02-21, 11:17 AM
Elvo

I've been doing Brown on my singlespeed a lot recently, and descending via El P or Millard, depending on what I'm feeling like. My out and back route to Cherry via Hahamonga and Flint Canyon Trail is not very challenging, and is starting to get a bit stale, but riding from home doesn't leave me a lot of other options with ANF closed.
Verdugos?
Old 09-02-21, 11:25 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Kinda sucks the NFS decided to shutdown all recreation instead of allowing hikers and cyclists access to GMR/GRR like last time.
Even San Dimas Cyn is shutdown.

$10K fine. There's a lot of ways off the beaten paths to access the ANF.
I imagine a lot of air support will be on patrol as well.
Old 09-02-21, 11:37 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by Elvo
Verdugos?
Not riding from my house - too much road to get to the dirt. My 32x19 SS gearing makes flat-ish road riding painfully slow. I'm pretty spun out above 13mph. Besides, I find the Verdugos pretty uninspiring and dull.

I think I might need to make more trips to the west side to ride with my buddy in the Sullivan Canyon area.
Old 09-02-21, 04:57 PM
pbass

[QUOTE=Eric F;22212138]Not riding from my house - too much road to get to the dirt. My 32x19 SS gearing makes flat-ish road riding painfully slow. I'm pretty spun out above 13mph. Besides, I find the Verdugos pretty uninspiring and dull.

Funny you say this - I was just thinking I need to go back to the Verdugos now more often - I'm really close - but I find it just a slog and the thought does NOT get me stoked!
Likes For pbass:
Old 09-11-21, 12:13 PM
jonathanf2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 428 Posts
I'm fine waiting out the September heatwave. Last year's fires were a mess and I saw the worst of it when I was up in Oregon driving back down to California with fire/smoke everywhere.

Lately I've been doing my east side route riding the LA River, Elysian and Griffith which gives me access to fast bike lanes, challenging fire roads and long hill climbs. Plus I'm looking forward to the trails dampening up a bit so my bike doesn't get so dusty. I'm always hosing my bike down of all that brown trail dust!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-15-21, 06:14 PM
mikeymichaels
Bonking Enthusiast

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Kinda sucks the NFS decided to shutdown all recreation instead of allowing hikers and cyclists access to GMR/GRR like last time.
I agree, they turned me back on Mt Baldy Rd this morning =(
Old 09-15-21, 08:39 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Fire is the natural state.
Lack of fire is the disturbance.
Old 09-15-21, 10:14 PM
pbass

Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I'm fine waiting out the September heatwave. Last year's fires were a mess and I saw the worst of it when I was up in Oregon driving back down to California with fire/smoke everywhere.

Lately I've been doing my east side route riding the LA River, Elysian and Griffith which gives me access to fast bike lanes, challenging fire roads and long hill climbs. Plus I'm looking forward to the trails dampening up a bit so my bike doesn't get so dusty. I'm always hosing my bike down of all that brown trail dust!
Where are the fire roads you're speaking of? Bikes aren't allowed on any dirt in Griffith, correct? I've never checked out Elysian. I could head over thataway from Glendale easily...
Old 09-16-21, 07:58 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
Bikes are not allowed on any dirt paths in any LA park, not just Griffith.
Old 09-16-21, 04:58 PM
jonathanf2

Where are the fire roads you're speaking of? Bikes aren't allowed on any dirt in Griffith, correct? I've never checked out Elysian. I could head over thataway from Glendale easily...
Griffith has two uphill fire roads, one near the Los Feliz Blvd. side and another near the Riverside/Forest Lawn side. I ride either route starting from the pony rides. Once to the top you can take either fire road back down or take the Griffith Observatory or Greek Theater road (with car traffic though) depending on where you want to end up. Yeah, no bikes on the dirt paths at Griffith, but I use the hill climbing mainly for training.

At Elysian, I see quite a few MTB'ers and gravel riders low key riding the dirt trails. There are also fire roads, though I haven't explored all of them yet, but they make for some fun riding as well. Just be mindful because there are homeless encampments around the outer edges of the park and unfortunately Elysian doesn't get the same maintenance Griffith Park gets. During the daytime though I'd say it's pretty safe and I've had no issues riding there.

The Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy also has a few nature areas in LA with hiking/gravel trails, and interestingly many are bike accessible (marked on the website). Usually if I don't see a sign prohibiting bikes, I'll ride there. Though I try to be respectful to the walkers and hikers, so they don't find an excuse to complain about bikes on the trails!
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-16-21, 05:10 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Griffith has two uphill fire roads, one near the Los Feliz Blvd. side and another near the Riverside/Forest Lawn side. I ride either route starting from the pony rides. Once to the top you can take either fire road back down or take the Griffith Observatory or Greek Theater road (with car traffic though) depending on where you want to end up. Yeah, no bikes on the dirt paths at Griffith, but I use the hill climbing mainly for training.
Are you talking about the beat up, pot holed paved roads (Mt. Hollywood, Vista del Valle)?

Have you checked out Dirt Mullholland yet? Looks like there's a whole lot in that area that would be awesome on a gravel bike. I saw quite a few gravel bikes when I rode Sullivan Ridge and Sullivan Canyon with a friend a little while back.
Old 09-16-21, 05:27 PM
pbass

At Elysian, I see quite a few MTB'ers and gravel riders low key riding the dirt trails. There are also fire roads, though I haven't explored all of them yet, but they make for some fun riding as well. Just be mindful because there are homeless encampments around the outer edges of the park and unfortunately Elysian doesn't get the same maintenance Griffith Park gets. During the daytime though I'd say it's pretty safe and I've had no issues riding there.

The Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy also has a few nature areas in LA with hiking/gravel trails, and interestingly many are bike accessible (marked on the website). Usually if I don't see a sign prohibiting bikes, I'll ride there. Though I try to be respectful to the walkers and hikers, so they don't find an excuse to complain about bikes on the trails!
Cool, I gotta figure out where the Griffith fire roads are---I gather these are paved? I've always been told "pavement only" for bikes there--bummer!
Old 09-16-21, 05:30 PM
pbass

Are you talking about the beat up, pot holed paved roads (Mt. Hollywood, Vista del Valle)?

Have you checked out Dirt Mullholland yet? Looks like there's a whole lot in that area that would be awesome on a gravel bike. I saw quite a few gravel bikes when I rode Sullivan Ridge and Sullivan Canyon with a friend a little while back.
I have ridden Dirt Mullholland a couple times on my gravel bike. Lotsa climbing, some killer views for sure.
Likes For pbass:
Old 09-16-21, 05:59 PM
jonathanf2

I love that road! I always bomb it on my gravel bike. I recently switched to 32c GravelKing semi-slick tires and they corner great on loose dirt and gravel.

It's been years since I went up Mullholland and that was with my old 26" MTB. I need to revisit it again. I mostly ride locally on the east side, but I definitely want to explore more of the west side trails.
Likes For jonathanf2:
Old 09-17-21, 12:23 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

ANF closure extended to September 22.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.