Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southern California
Reload this Page >

For Bill Walton, fights the SanDiego homeless crisis termed Gloriaville

Search
Notices
Southern California Southern California

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-22, 08:03 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...ecome-personal

Bills a lifetime cyclist, hall of fame BB player, and native SD.
He is taking it to Mayor Todd Gloria for campaign promises that were not ...
Sounds like the SART was in OC before they got that cleaned up.
Any of you all had problems with those bike paths?
Old 10-10-22, 08:58 PM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
there is a large homeless population here in san diego. as a cyclist, you encounter it along nearly every bike path of significant length in the county since the paths themselves are about as "off the grid" as you can get in a county of millions.
the only two paths i haven't encountered the homeless on are the ca hwy 56 parallel path and the coronado stretch on the silver strand path. the san diego county paths tend to be more insular and narrow like the irvine/lake forest/laguna niguel
ones in orange county vs some of the well-known ones in socal such as the sart, sgrt and lart + the various splinter trails. have been riding the various bike paths over two decades-mostly in san diego county-but have never had any sketchy
interactions on any of the various socal bike paths and pretty sure i've hit nearly all of them-short or long. in the last two years and in my experience, the biggest obvious concentrations have been on the lart south of anaheim st and on the
san diego river/ocean beach path in the 5 fwy/8 fwy interchange area. all that said, there are plenty i wouldn't ride at night.

my experience is that the homeless tend to keep to themselves whether on paths, streets, etc. the balboa park area is large and a obvious place for people to stage small or large encampments.
the mayor may or may not be doing all he can to combat the problem but there is always a significant percentage of people you or i may view as needing help that either don't want help or don't
want to conform to our vision/interface of/with society.

i see bill walton about 3x a year on average riding around metro sd. usually in the balboa park or la jolla area. that's with riding 3500-4000 miles in sd county yearly.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-10-22 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-10-22, 09:13 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
I first started riding the SART and SGRT around 1986.
I do not recall the homeless being much of a problem in the SART in the 1980's.
I do recall the homeless bathing in the Northern SGRT about that time.

I have only been on the SART a few times snice the cleanup but still ride the SGRT occasionally.
I have not had any problems with the homeless other than dodging debris fields at times or broken glass.
LA Co Public Works is frequently on the SGRT removing debris.
Old 10-11-22, 11:47 AM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
I can only comment on the SART up to Katella Ave (just past Angel Stadium, where the big homeless encampment was). I'm an early-morning SART user/rider. Its been clear of any encampments since the clean-up a few years ago (2016?). You will see the occasional overnighter, especially along the industrial section in Santa Ana (south of Edinger/north of Segerstrom) where there's an open area between the bakcwalls/fences of buildings and the river levee, but they'll be gone if you come back the next day. None of them are on the trail itself, none appear to be setting up 'housekeeping', and none threatening anyone on the SART that I've seen or heard of. However, there does appear to be a rise in homeless persons on the streets and sleeping in doorways or on the sidewalks in north Orange County/Long Beach. Not large concentrations of them, just a lot of them scattered around the region.
Likes For skidder:
Old 10-11-22, 08:02 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts

Bill Walton's bike.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Likes For Nachoman:
Old 10-12-22, 04:14 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 3,114 Times in 1,683 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman

Bill Walton's bike.
yah...don't remember seeing the harlequin/diamond details before but the color/frame maker for sure. have never passed him going the same way...it's always been in the opposite direction.

Last edited by diphthong; 10-12-22 at 04:18 AM.
Likes For diphthong:
Old 10-24-22, 06:10 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by Nachoman

Bill Walton's bike.
Bill has a few bikes with Custom Paint by JB, artwork by Mark Lueck both top notch and from SD
The greatful dead artwork is awesome, love the headtube, see below
https://joebell.net/Two-Big-Bikes-for-BW.html
Likes For joesch: