Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ebike battery safe storage options

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-22, 08:55 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts

With winter approaching, am considering acquiring some sort of fireproof container to store my two triangle batteries in over winter. A six gallon galvanized steel trash can comes to mind, as I have a couple of these I use for stove ashes. The only problem with that is an explosion would blow the lid off and possibly upend the container, which would be inside my home; so it might not serve it's purpose. I suppose a separate container for each battery would make sense, but these containers are bulky, as they arent shaped like a triangle battery.

All the fireproof, explosionproof bags I've seen advertised are small. I'd be interested to see what solutions others have employed. Any good triangle battery storage containers you can recommend from personal experience?
Old 10-30-22, 10:00 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
https://www.dnkpower.com/lithium-ion-battery-storage/

What you really want isn't cheap.
​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/ZARGES-K470-A.../dp/B00A7YRUFM

​​​​​​https://www.vevor.com/flammable-cabi...waApGtEALw_wcB
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-30-22, 11:32 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
Probably the best and safest way to store your batteries is to leave them on the bikes, in a charged condition, and recharge them every month or so. Li Ion batteries don't like to be stored uncharged, so putting them in a box for months may not be good for the batteries. Keeping them on the bike prevents accidentally shorting the terminals, which is probably the single most dangerous possibility. Plus keeping them on the bike ensures air circulating and makes it easy for you to check condition and recharge as needed. FWIW you probably want to keep them charged in the mid range of 20-70%, letting them slow drain then topping back up.

Ultimately the best protection with Li Ion batteries is choosing the source carefully, and avoiding low quality, cheap batteries and knockoffs. Then keep a weather eye for any recalls.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Likes For FBinNY:
Old 10-30-22, 01:04 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
So is there a problem with e-bike batteries bursting into flames spontaneously when not being charged or used under heavy load?

For most any of the few issues I've heard of, they were either while being charged or while in use. And this includes the electric scooters and skateboards since I've not seen much on e-bikes themselves with this problem. The few issues that weren't seem to have been the result of a fire started by some other source.
Old 10-31-22, 09:01 AM
Chuckles1

Bikes: 2007 Motobecane Fantom Cross Expert, 2020 Motobecane Omni Strada Pro Disc (700c gravel bike), 2021 Motobecane Elite Adventure with Bafang 500W rear hub drive

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So is there a problem with e-bike batteries bursting into flames spontaneously when not being charged or used under heavy load?.
I've heard there is a problem of leakage from individual cells that can lead to explosion and fires. With cells sealed inside a hard case, there is no way to notice leakage.

Saw an article recently that noted a proliferation of ebike battery fires in NYC, mostly among delivery ebike riders. Enough of an issue that laws against charging them in apartments were nearly enacted.

Makes me wonder if they should be replaced before they die from old age (reduced capacity).
Old 10-31-22, 09:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
I've heard there is a problem of leakage from individual cells that can lead to explosion and fires. With cells sealed inside a hard case, there is no way to notice leakage.

Saw an article recently that noted a proliferation of ebike battery fires in NYC, mostly among delivery ebike riders. Enough of an issue that laws against charging them in apartments were nearly enacted.

Makes me wonder if they should be replaced before they die from old age (reduced capacity).
That would seem to indicate the problem happens when charging them. So putting batteries in some sort of container for storage only might be spending money and being concerned for nothing.

Though if it is a concern to you then you should deal with that concern in what ever makes you feel good. However I might be more concerned about were I charge my e-bike and whether it's left connected to the charger and unattended.
Old 10-31-22, 09:49 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Said article.

​​​​​​https://www.npr.org/2022/10/30/11302...etimes-fatally
Old 10-31-22, 03:12 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
New York? New York?? The COL (cost of living) index in NYC is 218! NYC is overrun with low cost delivery vehicles fielded by an army of wage slaves that are not having a quality life experience in the Big Apple. I am pretty sure the battery pack I bought for my cargo bike mid-drive project cost double what that entire melted bike in the clickbait photo cost. As said earlier, its the CHEAP batteries that need to be feared, and rather than buy an $80 battery pack and a $250 bomb disposal unit to charge it in, why not buy a $300 battery pack? <shrug>. I also bought a quality charger that costs what CHEAP battery packs retail for. It will charge to whatever you want, 80, 90, or 100%. For long term storage it is not recommended to charge over 50% and unlike using or charging a battery pack, for storage of a li-ion battery, as cold as possible is what e-bikers in the know adopt. Freezer storage of battery packs NOT IN USE can extend their life by years. FWIW.
Likes For Leisesturm:
Old 10-31-22, 04:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
I would keep them on the bike and ideally in the 40-60% range and keep the bike in temperature controlled environment. If you have a Bosch equipped bike they have a deep storage mode you can put the batteries into at your local dealer.

I am unsure what the Call2Recycle drums cost but they cannot be cheap, they are designed for runaway/dangerous batteries that pose a risk but are big and heavy and very secure.
Old 10-31-22, 05:54 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
lithium-battery-safety.pdf (washington.edu)
Old 11-01-22, 12:34 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
That article just makes more grist for the group think mill that says Li-ion batteries are to be used with fear and loathing. Ignorance is truly bliss for the millions who use these lethal devices day in and day out with nary a thought given to the extreme danger they are putting themselves and their loved ones in. Catastrophes are rare enough given the sheer proliferation of the technology. In fact, as I understand it, wholesale prices for quality 16850 and 21700 cells are now below $0.07/ea.!! Do the math. The average battery pack has ... what? 70? 80? Cells. Why do the good ones still cost $350? Priced fairly, the good packs would oust the dangerous crap from the marketplace and the rare catastrophes would become non-existent.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 11-01-22 at 12:37 AM.
Old 11-07-22, 10:33 AM
Jan Feetz
de oranje

Bikes: ItalVega, Guerciotti SLX, Litespeed T1, Oma Fiets

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
So is there a problem with e-bike batteries bursting into flames spontaneously when not being charged or used under heavy load?

For most any of the few issues I've heard of, they were either while being charged or while in use. And this includes the electric scooters and skateboards since I've not seen much on e-bikes themselves with this problem. The few issues that weren't seem to have been the result of a fire started by some other source.
It appears that there is a problem with the batteries in New York ciity. https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/05/us/ma...ies/index.html
Old 11-07-22, 12:18 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,496 Times in 7,318 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckles1
Two days ago:

UPDATE: E-bike fire injures 43 in Midtown East apartment building - Gothamist

Resident was believed to be repairing ebikes in the apartment.