Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Litespeed: Tuscany, Blue Ridge, or Teramo?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 07:53 AM
rpsmithii

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, have been through a 2 hour fitting and advisory session for a road bike by a great local bike shop. I am buying my first real road bike so I wanted to do this right.

I am 6'3" with a 36" inseam 225 lbs.

My application will be mainly fitness but I can see myself doing centuries in an around Atlanta GA every other weekend - especially in the winter.

I want to make sure I pay once and have settled on Litespeed. I know there are many other great models out there but I have narrowed it down to that manufacturer.

I am assuming cost of equipment being pretty much equal, all non frame parts add to each frame price equally. For instance the Teramo is $3K and the Tuscany $4k but from what I've seen the Tuscany has more $$ in parts. The bike shop says they can build what ever I want so I'm thinking I can choose my equipment budget levels and the difference comes down to the frame cost. This is partly why I'm going with this manufacturer - to try to make this a bit less complex.

So, if the above assumptions are true, I was wondering that the differences in the Tuscany, Teramo, and Blue Ridge frames with their standard packages would be for me?

Any help would be appreciated - wanted to try to decide this weekend.

Thanks
Bob Smith
Atlanta GA.
Old 07-27-06, 09:06 AM
HiYoSilver
Rides again

Bikes: Giant OCR T, Trek SC

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Will you be riding mostly solo or group rides? If solo, take a good look at the Saber. The blue Ridge is more relaxed and designed for hauling much. Because it's more relaxed, it will probably offer a slight speed decrease. If you just want to pay once, consider a Blade. It's about 1k more, but it is custom built for you.

Remember it's better to get ultergra package and better frame than lower frame and dura ace. Sometimes you can save a little by getting none Litespeed components. For example, see www.nytro for a listing of common substitutions for budget reasons.
Old 07-27-06, 04:21 PM
jburnsdo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally, I think the Tuscany is the best all-round frame I have ever been on. It feels solid, rides light, and will do just about anything, I also think it might be the best Litespeed for somebody 200+ pounds. It's not super sexy, and I think the 06 graphics package is hideous compared to the older style (ie ViperZ beauty), but it's the best high end do everything Ti bike in my experience.
Judging by what you're saying, though, I think I'd stick to the 3AL/2.5V Ti, and not 6/4 as that tends to be overly stiff.

Here's a link to a review I tend to agree with, and you should also check out Coloradocyclist.com as they have a smokin deal on the Firenze right now.

https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/rev...uscany03.shtml
Old 07-28-06, 12:43 PM
markm109

Bikes: '03 Litespeed Blue Ridge; '15 Litespeed T5; '17 Jamis Renegade Exploit; '17 Salsa Fargo 27.5+

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Litespeed Blue Ridge. I bought it to get a bike to do it all and it can do it all, just nothing great. You can use it for a road bike but you need to put 23cc tires on it and reverse the stem for a more agressive ride. You can use it for cyclocross, just put agressive tires on it. Currently I have it set up for commuting and light touring with fenders, rear rack and Conti Top Touring tires. You can't do that with a Tuscany. It is a bike I will use for a long time.

However, I can't quickly change the bike up so I now have a Lemond Alpe D'Huez for faster road rides. Also, I'm building up a fat tire touring bike because the Blue Ridge is a bit bumpy on back roads.

I look at every Tuscany on ebay and drool. Some day after I get divorced I'll get me a Tuscany, or perhaps I'll get it and that will cause the divorce. The Blue Ridge almost caused the divorce last time.

The Blue Ridge will perform will for your weight. If you plan on long rides, the Blue Ridge will get you there in comfort, just put a Brooks B17 on it. The Open Pro wheels are very strong. I'm 15lbs heavier that you are and haven't had any problems. If the Tuscany comes with low spoke count wheels, you may run into a problem.

Mark
'98 Lemond Alpe D'Huez - go fast days
'03 Litespeed Blue Ridge - go long days
'01 GF Tassajara - up and down days
Old 07-28-06, 03:20 PM
rapidcarbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Tuscany
Old 07-28-06, 03:20 PM
rapidcarbon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 on the Tuscany
Old 07-28-06, 03:28 PM
jmichno
Part Time Super Hero

Bikes: Litespeed Teramo (2005), Cannondale CAAD4 (2000), Trek Fuel 100 (MTB)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an XL Teramo from '05 and love it (except for the crap FSA crank that will not shut up). I was looking at the tuscany vs. termamo and settled with the teramo for two reasons:
1. It was cheaper and I was in dire need of a new couch. Going with the teramo meant I got the couch for free!!
2. Some have reported the tuscany gets "noodley" in the larger frame sizes

I am not a fan of the '06 decals--a little too flashy, but the bike should be solid. Any reason why you are not looking at the Firenze? It is the same frame as the teramo and you save a few $'s.
Old 07-28-06, 03:45 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I have an 05 Teramo and would highly recommend it. It fits me perfect and I love the ride. It has the full 9 sp Ultegra:

Old 07-28-06, 07:57 PM
Bob S.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mark; Thanks for the report on the Blueridge. I have have considered getting one of those for a while now. Dreaming that some day I can back to doing some loaded touring.

I have put a few miles on a Classsic & Firenze. Personally, I like the way the Classic rides. Reminds me of bikes of bygone years.

I agree with you on lusting for a Tuscany. Viper Z's photos have elevated that bike to an entirely new level. Perhaps, one day I will be able to put a few miles on a Tuscany.
Old 07-28-06, 09:07 PM
H1449-6
Former grouch, now happy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The bike shop ought to interview you, learn your riding style and plans for using the bike, and make a recommendation.

Based on what you've written, you're a recreational rider; not a tourist and not a racer. The shop should steer you away from a racing bike, so the Teramo is out.

The Tuscany has essentially the same geometry (same angles, top tube and chainstay in a 61). I'd forget that one as well.

That leaves the Blue Ridge, which is more or less an "all-rounder." It's by no means a real touring bike.

That would be my choice. And I'm pretty close to your size, and I use my bike about the same way you describe.

PS. You may want to think seriously about a custom frame. A 61/59 may not really fit you. Ask the shop.
Old 07-28-06, 10:48 PM
Paulus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jburnsdo
Personally, I think the Tuscany is the best all-round frame I have ever been on. It feels solid, rides light, and will do just about anything, I also think it might be the best Litespeed for somebody 200+ pounds. It's not super sexy, and I think the 06 graphics package is hideous compared to the older style (ie ViperZ beauty), but it's the best high end do everything Ti bike in my experience.
Judging by what you're saying, though, I think I'd stick to the 3AL/2.5V Ti, and not 6/4 as that tends to be overly stiff.

Here's a link to a review I tend to agree with, and you should also check out Coloradocyclist.com as they have a smokin deal on the Firenze right now.

https://www.bikesportmichigan.com/rev...uscany03.shtml
The 06 decals aren't as bad in the flesh (but you're right, the older yellow ones do look better). Also the 06 has a rather neat biaxially ovalised downtube (which should help in the BB deflection tests) and has ditched the integrated headset. Great bike, you'll love it.
Old 07-29-06, 06:05 AM
Markedoc

Location: Latitude 42○13'44" Longitude 71○41'42" Elevation 223 ft.

Bikes: 2006 Merlin CR Works w/DA 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a little over 6'2" and about 190 lbs .. 46 yrs old ... ride about 150 miles a week. Similar to you, it sounds like. I have a 2003 Tuscany and it's an incredible bike - I'd definately buy the same bike again if I were buying today. Comfortable on rides of all duration, including the 136 mile ride I did in June.

With that said, I don't have much knowledge about those other bikes.
Old 07-29-06, 07:41 AM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an 02 Tuscany. Just an all around awesome bike. You won't regret getting one.
Old 07-29-06, 09:48 AM
ViperZ
Baby it's cold outside...

Bikes: Trek 5000, Rocky Mountain Wedge, GT Karakoram K2, Litespeed Tuscany

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Jburnsdo & Bob S!

To the OP, it has been stated that the Tuscany is the best all around road bike frame that Litespeed makes, however it may depend on how you plan to ride. The Blue Ridge is a Cross bike, so maybe more versatile if you plan to ride off road.

Either or, it would seem you have narrowed it down to a few good choices.

BTW, I'm 200lbs and find my 2003 Tuscany stiff enough for me.
Old 07-31-06, 09:02 PM
rpsmithii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
THANKS everyone for your advice - still a hard decision - will proabably go to the LBS tomorrow and decide. I am a bit concerned about the smaller Firenze/Teramo size compared to the Tuscany or Blue Ridge for my height.

Thanks again, Bob
Old 08-02-06, 04:14 PM
semdoug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tuscany, but the wheels?

I've been very happy with my '05 61cm Tuscany. I think you can't go wrong with any of your picks. Take a good hard look at the wheels they offer with it. Mine came with the Real Designs Ultrafly. Nice looking, light wheelset but they have a lot of lateral flex. Any out of saddle effort results in the wheel rubbing the brakes, and, no it is not the frame flexing. At your weight this might be a concern.

Good luck
Old 08-02-06, 07:15 PM
IcemanYQQ

Bikes: Bianchi, Colnago

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am basically the same size as you, and I just took delivery of my 61cm '06 Tuscany. It's a beautiful bike, the images on the website are hideous compared to seeing the actual frame in person. Litespeed really needs a better photographer. The edges are much smoother, and the lines much cleaner than the website portrays.

That being said, the Tuscany has been discontinued, and is no longer available. Litespeed is no longer building traditional framesets, only compact frames. The replacement for the Tuscany is the Sienna. For an extra $500, you can have an '06 Tuscany built, but it becomes a custom frame.