Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The limits of being car free

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

The limits of being car free

Old 10-08-22, 08:59 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
It's actually the other way round. As I see it, y'all's are the Trolls. Coming in here with unsolicited anecdotes about how being car free was such a bother it just had to end. So sad. The forum is called Living Car Free and y'all's are doing anything but. So save me the faux peevement. 33 years car free + 20 years car lite (very) with 10 off the top, out of 63 total. That's CRED. But you have never seen me throw that down till today. I GET that you can't save the planet on your own, but come on ... you live in the SOUTH! How's that working for ya? Maybe when the water is up to your hubcaps you will say ... hmmm,, maybe it's time to get an airboat ... <smh>
Haha!

Right on cue!
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 10-15-22, 12:38 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Old 10-16-22, 08:53 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I've been Car Free since 2005. I got around on motorscooters and motorcycles. Now I've added a beach cruiser and an ebike for neighborhood riding and commuting respectively. I think both bicycles will keep me young. I use grocery deliver, and do online purchase for large delivery items. I use public transportation, rent a car, and uber as back up if I need to get around further distances or if my motorcycles are in the shop.
Likes For alloo:
Old 10-23-22, 11:43 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Presumably "things" would be even "better" if we had an even longer lockdown because of a worldwide economic depression combined with the Black Plague or an equivalent public health disaster.
https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...he-black-death .
Old 10-25-22, 03:53 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 122 Posts
Almost $450 for new front tires on the 08' CRV tomorrow. Been a long time since tires were replaced. I usually only drive when it's a lot to carry from grocery store, or the usual god awful mid atlantic summer weather. Deep snow, and lots of ice I am in the car. Shrug.

Last edited by StarBiker; 10-25-22 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-21-22, 08:09 PM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
I spent four years car free. I was car free by choice I wanted to see how I could manage without a car. Well I did manage fairly well, but eventually got a car again. Why? There are a number of factors; for one age. I'll be 73 in a few months, and I might have to have a car. Things happen. Another, and perhaps most important factor, is safety. It is becoming more dangerous to ride. There are more and more cars, they seem to be going faster. and the drivers are not in control of their vehicles. There are places I want to go, but just are not safe by bicycle. There are also times that are not safe to bike, eg. rush hours and school opening. so I got a car. I still cycle and use public transportation, but I now drive when necessary.
This is odd to read. At 73 you are at an advanced age which slows your reaction times down significantly. It's also the age range where dementia starts kicking in, if you're unfortunate enough to catch it. This is not a time to start driving, it's a time to hand your license back.

From my perspective it's like hearing an alcoholic decide that he's going to start drunk-driving rather than walking home, because when he blacks out the airbag would be nicer to hit his head on than the pavement.
Old 12-22-22, 01:21 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Originally Posted by Cute Boy Horse
This is odd to read. At 73 you are at an advanced age which slows your reaction times down significantly. It's also the age range where dementia starts kicking in, if you're unfortunate enough to catch it. This is not a time to start driving, it's a time to hand your license back.

From my perspective it's like hearing an alcoholic decide that he's going to start drunk-driving rather than walking home, because when he blacks out the airbag would be nicer to hit his head on than the pavement.
'Age' is very individual. In an advanced country like the U.S. still is (for a decade or two more) the average person should still be able to operate a car safely in their 70's. I know 80 year olds that drive very, very well. I know a couple of 55 year olds that really should just live car free because they have almost no aptitude or judgement and are very nervous and unpredictable operators. So, let's not confuse the issue.
Old 12-22-22, 09:58 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts

This is a nine year old thread. When I was car free, I didn't own a car, but I kept my licence and occasionally. drove other people's cars. I drive when I have to, that is, when I have to go somewhere I can't bike or walk to safely or conveniently, or just because the car should be driven from time to time. Actually , I think biking helps one's driving skills.

I don't consider 73 to be an advanced age.

Last edited by ironwood; 12-22-22 at 10:04 AM. Reason: change wording
Old 12-22-22, 10:23 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts

...And this post brought to you by the letter "D"

Car dependency is a tax.
Old 12-22-22, 03:25 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
It's funny how many compliments I get using the home-built cargo trailer I put together when we show up at Wal Mart to get food and supplies, then it really blows them away when we explain we can't AFFORD a car (payment, insurance, maintenance, etc.) now that we are on a very fixed income, retiring on our Social Security Retirement Income only!! Do we miss our 30 year old, mega miles Ford Ranger PU, yes but that's the past. We do miss not being able to load up the trikes for out of town or trips to different States and truck/van rentals have gone insane since Covid19 came on!!! At almost 70, we ain't FAST, LOL but we get around for both transportation and recreation via our HPV's (Human Powered Vehicles) and manage to survive with a SMILE!

Likes For bjjoondo:
Old 01-04-23, 07:39 PM
bikenraider
HTX Road Warrior

Bikes: Road Bikes: 2000's Lemond Tourmalet, Alpe d'Huez, Mailott Jaune, Wayzata, Buenos Aires, Zurich, Nevada City, Fillmore; 1997 Diamondback Expert, 2000's Bianchi Veloce, Eros, 2004 KHS Flite 800, 1984 Gitane

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I just finished being about as car free as one can be in Houston, TX. I went 8 months without a vehicle (my car was hit by lightening in the driveway and has been in the shop ever since.) We are a 2 car household, but my wife is a road warrior and drives a fair amount of the time, and working from home, I needed another way to get around. Figured I'd go back to riding since most of what I need is in a 3-5 mile radius of the house; including my bars! Overall I'd say I was about 85% car free over the 8 months. Even though I broke down and bought a newer personal vehicle, I'm still riding alot more than I was before my car went into the shop and I'm taking advantage of the weather right now.
Likes For bikenraider:
Old 09-04-23, 07:05 AM
brokewheelspoke

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I went 8 months car-free when I lived in a smaller college town. I was able to get around everywhere I needed via bike, walking, or the city bus. It was honestly really nice, and I hated leaving that town for a bigger city, but job opportunities were just not there.

It's necessary to have a car where I'm at now. There are a couple areas closer to the city where people can live car-free without much trouble, but problem is they're very high COL areas, so I'd just be trading one expense for an even bigger one.
Likes For brokewheelspoke:
Old 09-04-23, 03:23 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 400 Times in 242 Posts
I don't know if the wife and I can go completely "car free" up here in Canada. If anything we can get rid of a few cars but will need at least one as we head towards retirement.
Here's a pic of a typical light dusting of snow we get up here during the Winter.....