Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Auburn Cord Duesenberg Bicycle Show

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Auburn Cord Duesenberg Bicycle Show

Old 08-17-22, 07:23 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
Late signee, but in. I'm at the SureStay and will be arriving Thursday afternoon. My Frejus ain't like DBs, but I'll be bringing it to show, along with the Bruce Gordon [racing] Chinook. I'll be riding a Ron Cooper, but that one is not original paint.

Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 08-17-22, 07:47 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
A supercharged Cord 812 Sedan is on my short list of dream cars.
I've always had a lust for a Duesenberg SJ!
Likes For Road Fan:
Old 08-17-22, 04:32 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I've always had a lust for a Duesenberg SJ!
OMG this thing is HOT!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 08-19-22, 11:20 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
^^^^^^ Imagine looking out the windshield down that cowl/hood.

LOL @ "20 GRAND". Today, $20G might be enough to by the grille.
Old 08-20-22, 04:17 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,823 Times in 878 Posts
If I read the website info correctly, it's $107.00 to set up a table at the swap meet on Sunday?
Old 08-20-22, 06:43 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
Sounds like a neat show!

A young RustyJames, circa 1984-ish

Likes For RustyJames:
Old 08-23-22, 05:51 PM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 1,362 Times in 747 Posts
Anybody got a swap space with room for two interesting frames, a British Griffon and a Mario Peloso?
Old 08-28-22, 03:30 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2910 Post(s)
Liked 2,830 Times in 1,457 Posts
OMG DID I MISS OUT!!

Hopefully next year I won’t be so in decisive and able to commit to participating. Lots of gorgeous rare bikes, which were very hard to photograph, lots of cool stuff to shop and look at and grest people. I managed to poke CBBill400 with the stay of my YUGE Bianchi parasol and met one of the moderators from FBs Steel is Real forum.

I forgot to get a pic of the sign on the but the stay cap treatment is fabulous as well as the pinstripes.

Head lugs of the previous bike

I stupidly forgot to photograph the wizard.

I tried to lodge a complaint on this “frankenbike”. LOL

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 08-28-22, 03:39 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

There were some people there from Lieca (Leesha? LikeA? LakeA) cameras and I got some tips on places to check on getting some old film processed. They had some nice looking pro gear including a $6200 one.

I almost turned my nose up at these hand turned and finishe wooden $25 valve caps but the money goes to a Police bike charity to support fallen officers families

I managed to control my spending and only bought a few things including a set of black Dura Ace brake that will replace some DP brakes and not very pretty but clean and tight Sprint RD for only $20!

Not only were there fabulous bikes but you were welcome to visit the fabulous automobiles as well. This is a fabulous museum wif lots of great cars and build is straight out of the 1920s art deco scene.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 08-28-22 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-28-22, 03:54 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
@Bianchigirll

Tx BG, been waiting for a report on this so I can really start kicking myself in earnest for not going.

Great pics and commentary.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-28-22, 04:05 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

merziac yeah it was really nice and I kicking myself for not participating, I mean my bikes wouldn’t stand up to a Confente or Galmazolli in the judging but I think I have some unique bikes that visually could hold their own against them. There was a few low rent sellers and showers outside too. I talked to a guy from Purcellville, Virginia, Wheaton, IL and even Colorado. Hopefully it will be back again next year.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 08-28-22, 04:34 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
merziac yeah it was really nice and I kicking myself for not participating, I mean my bikes wouldn’t stand up to a Confente or Galmazolli in the judging but I think I have some unique bikes that visually could hold their own against them. There was a few low rent sellers and showers outside too. I talked to a guy from Purcellville, Virginia, Wheaton, IL and even Colorado. Hopefully it will be back again next year.
Hopefully, probably still won't go. Your point on standing up to the knats azz superbikes that are obviously stunning and beautiful brings up the CR discussion we have been having.

When Masi, Confente, Bayliss, Colnago, Bianchi and so many others are brought up, we all know an endless row of spotless full Campy equipped steeds is conjured up.

Absolutely nothing wrong with that but we have seen and see this over and over again and again.

I'm with you on going our own way, some of our builds are far more interesting and thought provoking to great and good effect IMO.

I have a couple of full Campy, all original bikes and love them to death but don't need to break the bank and contort myself to make others that will be another version of the same.

I think sympathetic builds are far more interesting to see if you can float your boat without following a 100 year old recipe that so many have memorized by heart.

I also think the judges heads would explode if they had to consider any esoteric or subjective criteria.
Likes For merziac:
Old 08-28-22, 04:59 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
Really cool. Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Likes For himespau:
Old 08-28-22, 05:09 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,727 Times in 1,179 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
I'm with you on going our own way, some of our builds are far more interesting and thought provoking to great and good effect IMO.
+1; it seems like a paradox, but when you see a bike that a C&V enthusiast has built to ride rather than to be looked at, well... it's something to look at.
Likes For madpogue:
Old 08-28-22, 05:19 PM
merziac

Amen brother.
Old 08-28-22, 06:07 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Originally Posted by madpogue
+1; it seems like a paradox, but when you see a bike that a C&V enthusiast has built to ride rather than to be looked at, well... it's something to look at.
Originally Posted by merziac
Amen brother.
Well the thing that I don’t understand is everyone talks about “how the bike originally came” but the thing is a lot of the bikes we have, talk about, and lust over usually come as frame only and maybe a build kit. So what is original? A company like Colnago, Bianchi or Raleigh might show a bike in a catalog with a group on it but if comes as a frame only then originality is out the window.

When I bought my ‘99 Bianchi MegaProXL Tim I was like a kid talking to Santa when I was in the phone with Quality Bicycle Parts ordering my kit. I can pretty much guarantee no other bike was specked like that.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 08-28-22, 06:24 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,563 Posts
that does seem to be a dividing line of sorts... bikes for riding and bikes for looking at. There's something to be said for both types. I don't have room for bikes that are just for looking at, but some only get ridden on nice days when rain is not in the forecast and the roads are dry.

I do enjoy seeing a lot of the bikes that are for looking at, though! It's sort of like going into the bike shop back in the day, and looking at those bikes in all of their glory!!

Steve in Peoria
Old 08-28-22, 06:30 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
OMG

I tried to lodge a complaint on this “frankenbike”. LOL

the paint, transfers, were dreadful. It was under duress true enough, the headtube was dark blue and those old silver paper stars were glued to the headtube - the kind a grade school teacher might affix to a well done paper or worksheet. Clear over that.

this was part of the reason Mario was looking for a different painter after he was locked out.
at some point the bikes were repainted updating the American theme. They look pretty good.
Boyer might have used one in a Colorado stage race later.
one was purchased by the late Dr Hollenberg - not sure if he sold it on or his heirs.
Likes For repechage:
Old 08-28-22, 06:32 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,326 Times in 1,563 Posts
I forgot to get a pic of the sign on the but the stay cap treatment is fabulous as well as the pinstripes.

Head lugs of the previous bike

I had to guess at what/who the manufacturer was, and my guess of "Freddie Grubb" was right, at least per the CR page on the brand
I do love the pin stripes and box lining and the ornate lugs. So much fun.

thanks for all of the photos!

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 08-28-22, 06:41 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
Seems to me you are making a lot of assumptions of what was shown and what people do with their bikes. Sometimes you can enjoy a ride as is and don't have to "optimize" it as a "rider". Experiencing a janky old derailleur isn't isn't worse than a whatever you think is "best for a rider". You are creating a false dichotomy.
Old 08-28-22, 06:46 PM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,704 Times in 1,392 Posts
I thought I saw Bianchigirll walk through the show. I was chatting with someone and never saw you again. I'm sorry I couldn't introduce myself.
Old 08-28-22, 06:55 PM
smontanaro 

Not a great pic, but here's the shot I took of the Wizard. I thought it was cool that it is a SunTour Superbe build (just like my Griffon - I feel vindicated that I didn't just build another full Campy bike).

Likes For smontanaro:
Old 08-28-22, 06:59 PM
smontanaro 

The cars were stunning as well. I really love Auburn Speedsters. This specimen wasn't even in the museum. It was just sitting out in the parking lot a row away from my VW Golf!

Likes For smontanaro:
Old 08-28-22, 07:28 PM
smontanaro 

iab created some cool artwork and plaques. Unfortunately, it didn't occur to me to take any pictures. Anyone know who won the various awards?
Old 08-28-22, 08:04 PM
alexihnen 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 472 Times in 200 Posts

Here are the sweet sweet awards. I do not have a list of winners in front of me, but hopefully can post something in the next day or two.
Likes For alexihnen:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.