Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Condo Considerations

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Condo Considerations

Old 05-27-21, 10:48 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Condo Considerations

We currently live in a 2BD (rented) townhouse in Portland, OR. It has a massive basement/garage that has allowed my ... collection, to grow unchecked. We are looking for someplace to own, and even the smallest houses are out of reach, unless fixer-uppers or foreclosures. My bike collection is shrinking fast, but still large at three tandems, one of them a double recumbent; three single bikes, one of those a recumbent; and two folding bikes. All of the Condo's we have looked at have huge bike rooms that have space for way more bikes than are actually there, but I get the sense that most units control only one bike at most. Maybe there will be the singular exception of a three or four bike family controlling four spaces.

We are taking a second look today at a unit in a residential tower that I estimate has 60+ units. Coming from houses and townhouses all our lives it looks to be a huge culture shock. We would get a parking spot that we don't need. Has anyone here ever tried negotiating away the parking space for another bike rack? They don't currently have a bike rack. Bikes hang from hooks, and I only saw 10 or 15 bikes total and no spare hooks. There is no way to secure the bike against theft when it is on a hook. The recumbents and tandems are not exactly hook friendly in any case. I've given away four bikes in the last month to get to the present eight, two of them certified C&V worthy. I could let one of the folders go. I don't know whether to wait until, or if, our offer is accepted, to raise my issues with the bicycle storage infrastructure, or raise them now, and to whom? Or maybe someone in the 97232 zip code knows of a small house or townhouse for under $350K. Finders' fee gladly forthcoming.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 05-27-21 at 10:51 AM.
Old 05-27-21, 04:02 PM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 78 Posts
Portland has a great bike parking ordinance. You might be able to find it online or call the city. I have reviewed it for a project but do not live there. It may or may not apply to the property. But, perhaps worth checking out.
Old 05-27-21, 04:37 PM
homeless in ca.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 41 Posts
I use my parking space to park a cargo trailer. Room for lots of bikes and stuff..
Old 05-28-21, 11:35 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
We currently live in a 2BD (rented) townhouse in Portland, OR. It has a massive basement/garage that has allowed my ... collection, to grow unchecked. We are looking for someplace to own, and even the smallest houses are out of reach, unless fixer-uppers or foreclosures. My bike collection is shrinking fast, but still large at three tandems, one of them a double recumbent; three single bikes, one of those a recumbent; and two folding bikes. All of the Condo's we have looked at have huge bike rooms that have space for way more bikes than are actually there, but I get the sense that most units control only one bike at most. Maybe there will be the singular exception of a three or four bike family controlling four spaces.

We are taking a second look today at a unit in a residential tower that I estimate has 60+ units. Coming from houses and townhouses all our lives it looks to be a huge culture shock. We would get a parking spot that we don't need. Has anyone here ever tried negotiating away the parking space for another bike rack? They don't currently have a bike rack. Bikes hang from hooks, and I only saw 10 or 15 bikes total and no spare hooks. There is no way to secure the bike against theft when it is on a hook. The recumbents and tandems are not exactly hook friendly in any case. I've given away four bikes in the last month to get to the present eight, two of them certified C&V worthy. I could let one of the folders go. I don't know whether to wait until, or if, our offer is accepted, to raise my issues with the bicycle storage infrastructure, or raise them now, and to whom? Or maybe someone in the 97232 zip code knows of a small house or townhouse for under $350K. Finders' fee gladly forthcoming.
I hope it works out for you.

I have a good friend who had a condo. He hated the HOA, and he was on it.

Its along the idea of the people who yearn for the powerful positions invariably are the people who you don’t want to have any authority over you.
Old 05-30-21, 02:34 AM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Turned out the tower had 88 units, not 60 like I guesstimated. All bikes in the basement have to be locked securely. Locking facilities for 30 bikes, all accounted for. I was told they had plans to put in a rack for 10 more bikes and no more and there was a waiting list for the 10 spaces. "If you can't keep your bike (emphasis on the singular) in your unit, maybe this isn't the place for you ...". Good to know. Found a place this morning on Zillow, and our agent had sent me that exact listing to our other e-mail address that I never check. She had already obtained access. Looked at it this afternoon. She wrote up the offer this evening. Fingers crossed. Garage and NO HOA.
Old 05-30-21, 06:18 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
been living in a condo complex since 1990. there really isn't any "negotiating" about anything. one must conform. good luck w/ your home search!