Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Replacing my rear wheel freehub

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-21, 06:40 PM
Sam2021

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All I'm new to this forum and very new to work on my own 2016 Felt z5. I've been riding this bike now, (weekend rider) for the past 4 years and one thing I noticed was that - when I coast, my rear wheel hub is much quieter than other bikes. I wanted to get a louder noise. I watched some youtube videos and did some reading and found out that some people pull the hub out and clean up the grease with WD40 and the sound goes louder. However, I also learned that - that is really bad. I want to replace my rear wheel hub, with a louder one. I am not sure how to buy one that will fit on my bike. What I have now is Felt R3, sealed cartridge bearing, 32H, 11-speed. Can I just purchase the inside part of the hub or I must replace the whole thing where the spokes connect to the 32 holes. I'm lost - help.
Old 10-04-21, 07:10 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
I smell a troll.
Ignore List!
Old 10-04-21, 08:54 PM
Sam2021

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Bill - I never have used my name in any forum. R u serious?
Old 10-04-21, 08:55 PM
Sam2021

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are tons of forums out there - I can get help from - Neve had this experience before. Wow -
Old 10-04-21, 08:56 PM
Sam2021

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
nowhere I read that i must use my name to join this forum -
Old 10-04-21, 09:40 PM
KCT1986

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 233 Posts
Not sure why you got such a cold response. People on here are usually quite helpful.

The lack of useful responses may be because not many members probably have knowledge of your specific hub, me included. With a freehub that is OEM labeled, we often have limited information of what it really is and who made it. Some companies also may use different suppliers for different years. Freehubs also has many different ways that they work and how the freehub body attaches to the hub shell (the part where the spokes attach). Unless someone is really familiar with your specific rear hub, it is impossible to make a recommendation of a replacement freehub body only.

As for rebuilding the rim onto another hub, if the wheel uses standard J bend spokes, a standard hub from a parts supplier (Shimano, SRAM) can be used. Have your local bike shop check your wheel and make a recommendation of your best options.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 10-04-21, 09:50 PM
Sam2021

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi KCT1986,
Hey thanks much for replying back to me. After i actually posted this - I did call the local bike shop where I got my bike from. The owner of the shop actually recommended that I better - or easier for me to get a set of new wheels - starting at around $650.00 and up - rather than rebuilding the free hub. I was hoping to not spend that kind of money. Seems to me that, there should be a way to just replace the hub. Apparently parts are very hard to find these days according to him, and I do believe that somewhat, but..... I will be taking my bike to another maybe local shop to get looked at based on your recommendation - as I am very new to this. Again - I really appreciate your help. The Bill guy really caught me off guard - I was actually trying to upload a pic of my bike to prove I was real and not trolling - but since I'm very new to this forum - I was unable to -
Old 10-04-21, 10:07 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Sam2021
Seems to me that, there should be a way to just replace the hub. -
This can be done, but the process is time consuming. First, you have to find a replacement hub whose flanges are the same diameter and have the same number of holes as your current hub. Next, you have to completely disassemble your wheel into its component parts taking care not to mix up the drive side and non drive side spokes. After that you rebuild the wheel using your new hub. I have done this myself, but most shops would not consider reusing spokes so they would want to sell you new ones. The cost of the hub, spokes and labour might be more than you are willing to spend. I would urge you to live with your current setup, sometimes hubs become louder over time. You may at some time wish to upgrade to better and louder wheels. Having spare wheels can be useful if you have unexpected last minute flats or other problems just before a ride
Freehubs are specific to the brand of hub you have and a replacement will be the same as yours, you can't just use any old freehub

Last edited by alcjphil; 10-04-21 at 11:09 PM.
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 10-04-21, 10:56 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Freehubs aren't interchangeable between brands. Replacing the hub requires a new hub (high end hubs range from about $120-$600), and will probably require new spokes. Basically you're only saving on the rim, which isn't even the most expensive component, and it's over an hour of skilled labor. A prebuilt wheel is in fact probably the most economical solution. I think part of your cold response is that a lot of people would find your fixation on the noise of your hub a little silly and showoffish.

I'd recommend you first have a shop look at your hubs to see if they have a serviceable freehub mechanism. If so, they might be able to make it a little louder by changing the type and quantity of lubricant, although straying far from the intended lubricant can cause problems.
Likes For cpach:
Old 10-05-21, 04:44 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Personally I don't get the whole freehub/freewheel too loud or too quiet thing. So much other noise on the road I never pay attention to it.

Old Bill has a ignore list a mile long, so don't sweat that, maybe even wear it as a badge of honor that you accomplished it on your first day.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 10-05-21, 06:14 AM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Replacing the entire rear hub is one possibility but it seems like a lot of hassle to get a louder freehub. You may be able to replace just the freehub. What brand/model of hub is it? You would need a freehub compatible with that. Most of my cassette hubs are Shimano and I've swapped between different Shimano models, but I've never investigated whether other brands would work. I have a pair of Nimble Crosswinds and that freehub is really, really loud (too loud for me), but I don't know if it would fit a Shimano hub, or if I could put a Shimano freehub on it.
Likes For Gonzo Bob:
Old 10-05-21, 07:22 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Obnoxious sounding hubs certainly are the trendy thing to do..one does want to be be trendy, that's for sure. You'll need to some sufficiently flashy "kit" next and then maybe break new ground by converting your crankset to 1x.

When we wanted noise as a kid we used a clothes pin and a playing card in the spokes. It was awesome. Maybe someone is selling a pricey carbon version of this setup? Other trendy hipsters would be so jealous.
Likes For fishboat:
Old 10-05-21, 08:33 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,060 Times in 744 Posts
Hi KCT1986,
Hey thanks much for replying back to me. After i actually posted this - I did call the local bike shop where I got my bike from. The owner of the shop actually recommended that I better - or easier for me to get a set of new wheels - starting at around $650.00 and up - rather than rebuilding the free hub. I was hoping to not spend that kind of money. Seems to me that, there should be a way to just replace the hub. Apparently parts are very hard to find these days according to him, and I do believe that somewhat, but..... I will be taking my bike to another maybe local shop to get looked at based on your recommendation - as I am very new to this. Again - I really appreciate your help. The Bill guy really caught me off guard - I was actually trying to upload a pic of my bike to prove I was real and not trolling - but since I'm very new to this forum - I was unable to -
Getting a new freehub body will probably require an entire new hub to match and with new spokes of the proper lengths. Unless you build the wheel yourself the cost might make you consider just getting a whole new wheel and selling the old one/ones and used equipment is selling for a premium these days with the shortages. Yeah, ignore Bill's remark. He has lots of good info but can be over the top sometimes. There is no requirement or expectation that you use your real name on this forum. Kind of foolish to do so IMO. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by Crankycrank; 10-05-21 at 08:36 AM.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 10-05-21, 08:58 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by fishboat
Obnoxious sounding hubs certainly are the trendy thing to do..one does want to be be trendy, that's for sure. You'll need to some sufficiently flashy "kit" next and then maybe break new ground by converting your crankset to 1x.

When we wanted noise as a kid we used a clothes pin and a playing card in the spokes. It was awesome. Maybe someone is selling a pricey carbon version of this setup? Other trendy hipsters would be so jealous.
[Insert "Old Man Yells at Cloud" meme here.]
Likes For Rolla:
Old 10-05-21, 09:31 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 382 Posts
Maybe you should swap wheels with the OP of this thread;
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...reduction.html

Last edited by gearbasher; 10-05-21 at 01:06 PM.
Likes For gearbasher:
Old 10-05-21, 11:18 AM
restlessswind

Bikes: 2017 Surly Cross-Check. 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 3.0, 2002 GT Dyno Roadster, 2002 Rans Stratus, 2020 Giant Fathom 2, 2011 Trek Pure Sport

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 62 Posts
I want a free hub that sounds like a motorcycle. A V-twin sound, How do I go about this? Will some expensive Harley part bolt on?
Old 10-05-21, 11:30 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1941 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
For sure the cheapest way is to get a Bluetooth speaker to playback a loud freehub recording.
Old 10-05-21, 12:48 PM
KCT1986

Hi KCT1986,
Well it looks like you're getting some responses from other members, some slightly useful and others... Unfortunately, unless someone has opened up a hub exactly like yours, its hard for anyone to know what's compatible.

Hopefully your local shop has seen this specific hub before or will recognize its origin.

And yes, Bill is one of a few posters here that seems to post on many threads, some times with good info, but many times with bad info and poor biased opinions. These few guys seem to have a "know it all" attitude and hate to be corrected. When proven wrong or their opinion debunked, they stubbornly refuse to admit defeat.

Welcome aboard.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 10-05-21, 01:22 PM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Sam2021 - How about a picture of the hub with the name showing, both from the drive and non drive side.
Old 10-05-21, 02:37 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Originally Posted by KCT1986
Well it looks like you're getting some responses from other members, some slightly useful and others... Unfortunately, unless someone has opened up a hub exactly like yours, its hard for anyone to know what's compatible.

Hopefully your local shop has seen this specific hub before or will recognize its origin.

And yes, Bill is one of a few posters here that seems to post on many threads, some times with good info, but many times with bad info and poor biased opinions. These few guys seem to have a "know it all" attitude and hate to be corrected. When proven wrong or their opinion debunked, they stubbornly refuse to admit defeat.

Welcome aboard.
Shouldn't be much problem for you to come up with a couple dozen examples then. PROVE IT!
I guess that's why I don't have any LIKES?
Join the list with the other's that can't back up their mouth.
Old 10-05-21, 03:26 PM
KCT1986

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Shouldn't be much problem for you to come up with a couple dozen examples then. PROVE IT!
I guess that's why I don't have any LIKES?
Join the list with the other's that can't back up their mouth.
Just go back a couple of days to your comment about the XT hub ball bearings size and your response to my request that the OP check on the specs for the actual hub in question.

Quite being so combative. We are trying to be informative here, and provide accurate & useful assistance to each other.

I've learned a lot about bikes on here and I'm sure other have as well.
Likes For KCT1986:
Old 10-05-21, 08:30 PM
Sam2021

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All - I thank you soooo much. Amazing amount of support and information. Bill maybe lacks some attention/love in his life. That is ok - there are tons of amazing people on this forum to give you some of that - all you'll need to do is just be real, go meditate or see some doc. I also love the humor from installing Bluetooth device to make loud sound to attaching playing cards to wheel. I'm actually enjoying reading all. Most importantly though thank you to all who took their time and responded to my question - supported me and didn't brush off my question.
Old 10-16-21, 06:53 AM
MyRedTrek

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
I smell a troll.
Ignore List!
Old Bill here is clearly a Dale Carnegie devotee.
Likes For MyRedTrek: