Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

75 and still cycling.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

75 and still cycling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-22, 07:49 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
Great statement. I highly respect your attitude. Stay safe.
Old 04-21-22, 08:34 AM
Ed Wiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 79 Posts
Do to my wife’s health I ride many days indoors on Rouvy. But still glad to keep going.
Old 04-21-22, 08:39 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 438 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Einsteinian, it's a special relativity/time dilation joke.
LOL! exactly!... riding is always at 'The Speed of Life' !
Ride On
Yuri
Likes For cyclezen:
Old 04-21-22, 02:00 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I've been cycling regularly since about 1972 . I'm not a young guy and those rocket fast sprints are behind me, but I still love riding and push myself.
Old 04-21-22, 07:26 PM
kstephens

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 10 Posts
I hope to be. I was an avid cyclist in the 80's. Was in to long distance riding and tri's, then mountain biking. I continued to bike commute through college and my first few years of work, then life happened and I didn't ride a bike or go on a multi day hike for years. I am retiring n 5 years at the age of 51, and would love to get a good 25 years of bike riding or more. I plant do some big bike touring as soon as I retire until I no longer love it or can' t physically do it any more. But right now I can't envision life without at least a couple of bike rides a week. Even if I need to move to a trike/recumbent I am game....I just need to be on the road with the occasional break for a quick conversation with cow, horse, or dog that doesn't want to chase me.
Old 04-23-22, 06:57 AM
texbiker

Bikes: Cervelo Caledonia Rival AXS eTap, Blue Norcross AL, Lynskey Helix

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 81 Posts
I'm 75 and ride each day. I shoot for 200+ miles per week except for the winter months. My wife passed away in 2019 and biking is a good way to spend time. I do some charity rides but mostly ride alone. I bought a new Cervelo Caledonia in February replacing my Canyon Endurace. I wanted the Rival AXS eTap components. So far this year I'm at 2,715 miles. I write a blog at Texbiker.net and have a YouTube channel.
Likes For texbiker:
Old 04-23-22, 07:10 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Einsteinian, it's a special relativity/time dilation joke.
Time Might Not Exist at All, Some Scientists Say (msn.com)
Old 04-23-22, 09:03 AM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
Originally Posted by texbiker
I'm 75 and ride each day. I shoot for 200+ miles per week except for the winter months. ...I bought a new Cervelo Caledonia in February replacing my Canyon Endurace...
I'm 71 and bought a Caledonia last August (with an Ultegra mechanical groupset). It's a really nice bike for me now, and I'm hoping that will be the case for many years to come, so you're an inspiration to me. I ride 100+ miles a week, so it looks like I'm going to have to double that if I want to be where you are when I reach 75.
Old 04-23-22, 11:40 AM
texbiker

Originally Posted by Random11
I'm 71 and bought a Caledonia last August (with an Ultegra mechanical groupset). It's a really nice bike for me now, and I'm hoping that will be the case for many years to come, so you're an inspiration to me. I ride 100+ miles a week, so it looks like I'm going to have to double that if I want to be where you are when I reach 75.
Great bike, the Cervelo Caledonia. The eTap shifting is smooth and quick. The ride report after each ride shows the number of gear changes, the time and distance in each gear, and more. I guess I'm a data nut.
Keep turning the pedals. I set a goal for each month and for the year both road and virtual (Zwift) miles. Usually I exceed them but this year I missed two goals so far for January and February. Beat March and April.
Old 04-23-22, 02:39 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
When I was little in the 1980s my octagenarian grandpa stayed with us in Phoenix for the winter. He would set out from our house on his ten speed with a plastic bag on his handlebars to look for cans and interesting junk on the roadside. In the summer he did the same on his own in Cortez, CO. He was killed in the Cortez hospital by a clot in 1989 at age 91 after being knocked off his bike by a car. He got to see Halley’s Comet twice. Who knows how much longer he could have gone?
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-23-22, 03:22 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by texbiker
Great bike, the Cervelo Caledonia... I guess I'm a data nut...
I really like my Caledonia, but I'm not sure how great an endorsement we're making for the bike.

"I was reading on bike forums that a couple of guys in their 70s think the Caledonia is a great bike."
"That's nice. Did they have any recommendations for walkers they use after they've finished their bike rides?"

I'm the opposite of a data nut. I don't collect or keep any data. But I do remember from week to week how much I ride and very rarely go less than 100 miles a week, but also rarely go more than 125 miles. I'm fortunate to live where I can ride year round and rarely miss a day.

Last edited by Random11; 04-23-22 at 03:33 PM.
Old 04-23-22, 03:32 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
...He was killed in the Cortez hospital by a clot in 1989 at age 91 after being knocked off his bike by a car...
Sorry to hear it. Stories like this are a bit unsettling. I know I'm taking a risk every time I take my bike out on the road. I think it's a small risk, but if you take a small risk enough times, your luck will run out.
Old 04-23-22, 03:38 PM
texbiker

No walker needed after biking. Today was super windy so I was slower than I prefer. Wind was 18 mph with 32 mph gusts.
https://www.texbiker.net/blog/2022/0...den-bike-ride/
Old 04-23-22, 09:12 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by Random11
Sorry to hear it. Stories like this are a bit unsettling. I know I'm taking a risk every time I take my bike out on the road. I think it's a small risk, but if you take a small risk enough times, your luck will run out.
seems like you fixated on the bad part. 91! Do you expect to get there? I’m pretty sure my heart is going to crap out around 80. But maybe if I keep pedaling
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 04-24-22, 04:00 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I can appreciate your consideration of what you do and why you do it. It's important to reflect on how you live life from time to time. I will be 76 in June and also live in New England....northeast CT to be precise. I came to cycling by chance. My brother-in-law needed a riding buddy. I had been a college QB and could throw a football 60 yds with accuracy. Also a SS in college. These days I can barely throw my dog's ball 25 yds. But, cycling I can still do. It's keeps me fit and healthy. My latest medical adventure was a brief AFib. I went to a cardiologist and he set me up for a nuclear stress test. All the images, blood tests, x-rays, etc. were normal. The best part was the stress test. After I had completed it the RN administering it said, "Guys your age maybe get to 6 minutes before we have to shut them down. You did 50% better at 9 minutes. It's because you've stayed in shape." Cycling. So, I bought myself a bike. A 2016 GURU Photon that weighs 15 lb 13 oz as ridden....seat bag and all. Now to go find some STRAVA PB's.
Old 04-24-22, 05:30 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
runners who turn to cyclists are crazy strong
Yet, cyclists don't seem to turn into runners. And if they do, its because they are doing a short triathlon. Even then, their least favorite is the run.
Old 04-24-22, 12:30 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
seems like you fixated on the bad part. 91! Do you expect to get there? I’m pretty sure my heart is going to crap out around 80. But maybe if I keep pedaling
Very good point. My father died at 80. He pretty much sat himself to death. He retired at 65 and spent the next 15 years sitting in front of the television to the point where he was too weak to take even a short walk. Reflecting on his "golden years" is one thing that motivates me to get on my bike nearly every day. Your thought is a good one: keep pedaling!
Old 04-25-22, 04:37 AM
A350driver

Bikes: Emonda, Speed Concept, A1985 Bianchi and a Stache, Madone all Trek except the Bianchi.

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Yet, cyclists don't seem to turn into runners. And if they do, its because they are doing a short triathlon. Even then, their least favorite is the run.
I was a runner in high school and college and then in my 20’s I’d run on layovers if I had time, but in 2004 I ruptured a disc and had surgery (lamenectomy) to repair it. My spinal doctor said running is about the worst thing you can do to your back, knees and feet. He said try swimming or bike riding or use the elliptical machine at the hotel gym instead of running. So I quit running and started putting in 2x time on the bike and my back has thanked me for it! Once you get addicted to the speed of the bicycle, running seems so slow and boring, hot and painful.
Old 04-29-22, 01:14 PM
MNebiker

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 83 Posts
I'm 83, have ridden for fun & recreation most of my life. But sore knees gradually made it less fun, so I switched to an ebike about 4 years ago. I need the assist on hills to keep the knees happy - often turn it off on long flat stretches, and seldom need it on trails built on old railroad beds with gentle grades. I'm a fair weather rider, nothing below about 40 or in the high 90s, usually about 18-20 miles a day. I know there is a lot of controversy over ebikes, but it has kept me on the bike and out and about in the open air. This was great through all the covid lock downs and restrictions. Headed out to ride after I post this. .. . .
Old 04-30-22, 06:03 AM
Thessalos

Bikes: 3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 6 Posts
44 years old here!!! I hope to continue cycling until 100 !!!
Old 05-01-22, 05:46 AM
Ray9

Bikes: Cannondale six-13

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 24 Posts
I am lucky because I live outside the city. But as we all know the city is slowly coming to us. I ride on country roads now and can occasionally get whiffs of manure as farms and fields pass by in my peripheral vision. The roads are narrow, the hills are steep, and once a mother black bear and two cubs walked across the road just before I passed. They paid me no mind and ambled into the trees. I took a drink and told myself that it was no big deal. It seems like every time I reach for my water bottle a vehicle appears out of nowhere behind me. Sometimes it is a huge dump truck rumbling and rattling while it shakes the pavement. I try to stay out of the way but there is no room. The massive elephantine contraption announces its approach with hissing air brakes as it exhales diesel fuel. I am so tiny and vulnerable by comparison, so I hold my line and hope for a guardian angel.

The city is about seven miles from the little town I live in, and they have gone bonkers for miniature European roundabouts instead of stop-signs and traffic lights. Roundabouts are circular death traps for a cyclist. Driver's time their entry to beat other cars with tunnel vision. Often, they never see you on a bike. You are like a leaf or a tumbleweed; you are on your own. This is where Darwinism comes into play. Avoid roundabouts if you can and be very careful and hyper alert if you must use one.

Good luck and keep peddling.
Likes For Ray9:
Old 05-01-22, 09:02 PM
tobey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Turned 70 last October and decided I needed a change in how I cycle. For no other reason than to just have a goal. So I decided at the start of last winter during indoor training (Zwift) to focus on standing. I know a foolish goal but I've now gotten to the point I can stand and ride on a flat or slightly uphill grade pretty much as long as I want. Then when I sit after standing for 5-10 minutes I feel very refreshed and can definitely feel the difference. For steep hills (above 10%) I now stand using a low cadence and get up the hill without any problem. Slow but fairly rested. When I started riding 10 years ago I sat and pedaled 98% of the time, now maybe 70%. Just fun to try something different.
Likes For tobey: