Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Warning N. CA East Bay Mtb'ers!

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Warning N. CA East Bay Mtb'ers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-22, 01:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
If that is not true, why then is the fine so obscenely high?

If the fine was lower, it wouldn't be much of a deterrent.

And I think the fine fits the crime. Calling it obscenely high just begs the question.
Old 03-23-22, 01:32 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
If the fine was lower, it wouldn't be much of a deterrent.
Exactly. The goal of a legitimate regulation should be to entirely prevent the illicit behavior, with the result that no one is ever assessed the fine anyway. It's pretty hard to accidentally climb over a high fence.

Contrast something like NYC's "stipulated" fines program where commercial operators agree to just pay some percentage of parking tickets without challenging any of them. Such an illegitimate program exists to let things like parking in the bike lane simply be a cost of doing business.
Old 03-23-22, 08:58 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
And of course there is the simple issue of erosion control.
Because cyclists and hikers both f up trails by cutting switchbacks and other things that decrease effectiveness of erosion control tactics. They also spread out trails around inconvenient terrain. In general, left to their own devices, harm the land.

My guess is that this particular incident in the op is the result of a long standing problem by users who think they know better than land managers and the hefty fine reflects the ongoing problem and ramped up enforcement that is necessary.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 03-24-22, 06:03 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Camilo
Because cyclists and hikers both f up trails by cutting switchbacks and other things that decrease effectiveness of erosion control tactics. They also spread out trails around inconvenient terrain. In general, left to their own devices, harm the land.

My guess is that this particular incident in the op is the result of a long standing problem by users who think they know better than land managers and the hefty fine reflects the ongoing problem and ramped up enforcement that is necessary.
Exactly!
The existence of a trail is, pretty much by definition, a disruption of the soil. It's erosion all by itself and erosion tends to spread, even without further human intervention. You point out also the domino effect, one trail leads to another and another after that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-24-22, 08:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Because cyclists and hikers both f up trails by cutting switchbacks and other things that decrease effectiveness of erosion control tactics.
When I did my first backcountry backpack trip (7-days in Glacier N.P.) not cutting switchbacks was one thing I learned early on from my guide. We encountered a few good-sized groups out for day hikes doing it. He even spoke up to one group about it as the passed us going in the other direction.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-25-22, 08:26 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 791 Post(s)
Liked 504 Times in 320 Posts
And your point is? Getting back to the original post he got caught hoisting his bike over a fence to access an illegally created trail in a restricted watershed. I think $600 was too low. Should cost at least $1000 for the obvious infraction and not understanding about laws.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-27-22, 03:14 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
And your point is? Getting back to the original post he got caught hoisting his bike over a fence to access an illegally created trail in a restricted watershed. I think $600 was too low. Should cost at least $1000 for the obvious infraction and not understanding about laws.

That's what I find so ironic about all these people whining about the size of the fine--obviously, if the fence isn't deterring them, the fine has got to be high if there's any chance for it to deter.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-22-22, 04:14 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider

Exactly.......... And he is complaining about getting caught. This is hilarious !
Old 04-22-22, 05:15 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,813 Times in 1,536 Posts
Originally Posted by Comfort is King
Just like all other cash fines, it's fundamentally unfair. While $600 might be quite a deterrent and/or penalty for most, for many it wouldn't have any effect. It doesn't seem right how one person should lose a week's pay, while the next looses one day's. This holds especially true for speeding. Wealthy people with sports cars treat some of the best cycling roads as race tracks, essentially with impunity, because whatever fine is a joke to them.
easy answer is not speeding just like not crossing climbing a fence

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 04-23-22, 08:40 PM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked 379 Times in 279 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
easy answer is not speeding just like not crossing climbing a fence
And, of course, in the world {full} of "things that are unfair because people with a lot of money don't have as much of a burden as people who don't have a lot of money"... I would say this is pretty far down the list in importance.