Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Motobecane 707 , year 1985???

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-22, 09:38 AM
laribud

Bikes: Motobecane 707

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, just recently bought Motobecane 707 road bike. And straight away want to update it with new components. Just had new seat, a new break pads . Order a new handlebar and stem for more comfort ... I thing I need it. Have done just 300km with Continental road tyres ( just do some light gravel also ) . Guys dont judge me please , never ever had my own bicycle, this one my own . Pictures will update later on. So the think is I want to update it with 10,11 or 12 speed groupset ( budget around up to 600 euros ) . I need your help here guys to find out what bottom bracket I could use with compatible crankset?
Old 05-08-22, 10:22 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by laribud
Hi, just recently bought Motobecane 707 road bike. And straight away want to update it with new components. Just had new seat, a new break pads . Order a new handlebar and stem for more comfort ... I thing I need it. Have done just 300km with Continental road tyres ( just do some light gravel also ) . Guys dont judge me please , never ever had my own bicycle, this one my own . Pictures will update later on. So the think is I want to update it with 10,11 or 12 speed groupset ( budget around up to 600 euros ) . I need your help here guys to find out what bottom bracket I could use with compatible crankset?

Hello and Welcome to the forums. What country are you and the bike in? First of all while upgrading to a comfy seat is good idea and new brake pads will make it safer I'd hold off on other upgrades. Do you have any pics?

Depending where you are upgrading a French bike can be complicated. Until some point in the '80s French bikes used a French thread bottom bracket rather than English or Italian like most manufacturers, they also had a slightly smaller stem, I think 22.0 instead of the more 'standard' 22.2 so you may not be able to easily find a replacement.

Personally unless the bike has a full ChroMoly steel frame and fork I'd enjoy it like it is and look for a nicer newer bike to upgrade.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-08-22, 10:40 AM
laribud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, i live in Germany , as long as I know bicycle was bought localy couse there is label of the city that I live near. At the moment I cant post pics or url , it says after 10 post I will be able
Old 05-08-22, 10:41 AM
laribud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did a picture of BB but nothing have seen on youtube ...
Old 05-08-22, 10:41 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Hi, i live in Germany , as long as I know bicycle was bought localy couse there is label of the city that I live near. At the moment I cant post pics or url , it says after 10 post I will be able
Yeah, that's an anti spam measure. You can post pictures to your profile. Someone will then post pictures to this thread.
Old 05-08-22, 10:52 AM
laribud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh thanks , thats what I did just now , check in please
Old 05-08-22, 10:59 AM
laribud

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Hello and Welcome to the forums. What country are you and the bike in? First of all while upgrading to a comfy seat is good idea and new brake pads will make it safer I'd hold off on other upgrades. Do you have any pics?

Depending where you are upgrading a French bike can be complicated. Until some point in the '80s French bikes used a French thread bottom bracket rather than English or Italian like most manufacturers, they also had a slightly smaller stem, I think 22.0 instead of the more 'standard' 22.2 so you may not be able to easily find a replacement.

Personally unless the bike has a full ChroMoly steel frame and fork I'd enjoy it like it is and look for a nicer newer bike to upgrade.
Oh and i got new clipples pedals with shoes, and riding is more comfy then before
Old 05-08-22, 11:09 AM
bikemig 

Oh thanks , thats what I did just now , check in please
That's an 80s Motobecane. I should have said that we will need pictures of the drive side showing the crank, derailleurs, etc. Also pictures of any tubing stickers saying what kind of metal was used are also very useful.
Old 05-08-22, 11:09 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Well there’s pictures and then there’s pictures. Not much detail here

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 05-08-22, 11:18 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 783 Posts
never heard of a Moto "707" so most likely a model for the FR or European market.
My guess is by '85 Moto was not using either FR or Swiss BB threading, but OP can perhaps pull off one crank and read ALL the markings on a cup, what I can read in the single pic tells me almost nothing, then pull the other and measure the spindle length.
With that info shopping for a new BB should be easier (better than guessing).
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 05-08-22, 11:31 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Two things determine what bottom bracket (BB) you need.
The crankset itself determines length and type of BB
The frame (shell width, threading or lack of threading)

Until you decide what crankset you want to run and what your shell is, no one can tell you what BB you need.
Old 05-08-22, 12:07 PM
bikemig 

Easiest and cheapest way to get modern gearing is to buy a set of wheels, cassette, chain, rear derailleur, and a set of microshift bar end shifters like these, https://www.microshift.com/models/bs-m10/

That way you can continue to use the original crank. You will want to overhaul the bottom bracket though. You also will need to spread the frame a bit since it is likely set at 126 mm and modern road wheels are generally 130 mm. This is likely the cheapest, most cost effective way to go 2 x 10 on that bike. Plus indexing bar end shifters are nice.

A compact crank (50/34 or 46/30) would be a nice upgrade as well but you have a budget of 600 euros. You may have to skip the crank for right now to pay for the other stuff you need to get 2 x 10 gearing.