Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mirror Chrome paint - Anybody Try It?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-27-22, 01:03 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts

Has anybody used this stuff on a bike/frame project? I am toying with the idea of using it or something like it to "chrome" some lugs. Feedback more than welcome.

To be clear, I am not committed to this project at all. This is just early-stage "I wonder if . . . " type exploration. "Are you out of your mind?" and "Don't even think about it" are perfectly acceptable responses.

As always, thanks in advance to the Collective for any info you may have.
Old 05-27-22, 01:09 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
Do you have an old seat post you could prep and test it on?

I know Groody Bros powder coating recently posted on their Instag*ram (anticipating site censor) page showing some powder "chrome" that impressed them, so it's possible other chrome paint is reaching an enlightened age.

If you try it, please post results here!
Old 05-27-22, 02:07 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4667 Post(s)
Liked 5,766 Times in 2,271 Posts
I highly doubt that this would give the same mirror finish as a really good chrome job, but it very well may be better than a vintage Raleigh International chrome lug, which would be more than acceptable for a lot of applications.

Looks like a $40 experiment. I've blown more than that on a lot of goofy ideas.
Old 05-27-22, 02:16 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 2,816 Times in 1,716 Posts
I've never seen metallic paint that looks like chrome, but if it lives up to the hype, why not?
Old 05-27-22, 02:35 PM
Jheitt

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I struggle to think a paint alone can provide that finish. I'd expect to have to a heck of clear job on top of it, but with a can of spraymax 2K nearly anything is possible.
Old 05-27-22, 03:08 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 1,742 Posts
I have, with a similar local product. While it might work, I found that I did not have the patience required for the desired result.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 05-27-22, 04:11 PM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
I have not tried it but it looked promising until I viewed the videos. I suppose if one could spray or dunk it might work......but brushed on can leave brush marks unless a heavy cote is applied....videos on You Tube demonstrate this issue quite well.
JM2C's Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 05-27-22, 04:18 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts

Likes For nlerner:
Old 05-27-22, 05:31 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 963 Post(s)
Liked 1,447 Times in 721 Posts
Nice, @nlerner !

My experience has been that if you polish up or at least wet sand to 1000 or 1500 grit before painting it can look quite decent.
Old 05-27-22, 05:36 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Not that stuff (and for a bottle of 15ml no thank you), but...

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ass-paint.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-involved.html
Old 05-27-22, 06:38 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
nlerner Is it fair to say it looks like aluminum 2/3 of the way to a mirror finish polish? Kinda’ looks that way in the pic.
Old 05-27-22, 07:59 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 480 Post(s)
Quoted: 3788 Post(s)
Liked 6,573 Times in 2,580 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
nlerner Is it fair to say it looks like aluminum 2/3 of the way to a mirror finish polish? Kinda’ looks that way in the pic.
The actual chromed stay in the background is meant to provide a comparison. I did the fork ends with that paint, too.

Old 05-28-22, 01:08 AM
Yune_Garage 

Bikes: Lugged Steel Single Speed Beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 86 Posts
Chrome Vinyl.
Old 05-28-22, 05:26 AM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by non-fixie
While it might work, I found that I did not have the patience required for the desired result.
My entire mechanical competence level.
Old 05-28-22, 08:01 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,225 Times in 1,248 Posts
It is very hard to have a painted surface that looks like chrome plating but I haven’t tried any of the newer products that are available. It may be fine for small detail work like lugs though.
Old 05-28-22, 03:00 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
I saw a new bike with chromed lugs in a bike shop a few years ago. I think it was a Fuji. It looked good. On closer inspection, the lugs were painted chrome; you could tell if you looked real close. It still looked good. I don't think it would be easy to get such a good finish from a spray can. When I've tried, I got a finish that looks quite a bit like polished aluminum that hasn't been polished in a while, which was better than it looked when I started, but not great. It made a pair of crusty steel rims look like aluminum, which is an upgrade, right?
Old 05-28-22, 03:13 PM
jiangshi
Banned.

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 172 Posts
I'd try something like this if I really wanted chrome:

https://caswellplating.com/electropl...ting-kits.html

That being said, I repainted a Cinelli I have owned since new because the chrome was shot. It no longer has chrome, or China Blue paint.
Old 05-28-22, 04:00 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
There are a number of chrome look finishes out there. I stumbled on a YouTube video by a plastic model kit enthusiast where he bought a bunch of brands, followed the instructions, on a few used the instructions from another brand for comparison of results.
most were sprayed on a plastic spoon for test, concave and convex sides.

some were pretty good, I don't know if headlug worthy but for half forks and stays - hundreds cheaper than chrome plating.

way back there was a bike brand from Benelux named The Dura- no chrome but impressive finish.
Old 05-28-22, 04:39 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,523 Times in 1,742 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
(...) way back there was a bike brand from Benelux named The Dura- no chrome but impressive finish.
It is a Belgian thing. When I bought my Toortelboom frame it was only when I got back home and put it on the stand that I noticed the "chromed" ends were actually painted ends. Very nicely done.

Old 05-29-22, 09:10 AM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1005 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,030 Posts
Originally Posted by jiangshi
I'd try something like this if I really wanted chrome:

https://caswellplating.com/electropl...ting-kits.html

That being said, I repainted a Cinelli I have owned since new because the chrome was shot. It no longer has chrome, or China Blue paint.
I, too, have a Cinelli that I had repainted. It was the subject of a long paint/don't paint thread here that garnered a lot of thoughtful replies, as one would expect. It did not get rechromed for reasons too long and boring to go into here. It is that bike that led to my question in this thread.

Based on what I have read here, odds are I will not run this experiment. If I do, I will try it out on a thrashed and/or craptastic old frame first. So all I would need to get is the paint, the right brush(es), and a POS old frame no one cares about. Other than that, I have everything I'd need.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. As usual, some thoughtful responses. It sounds like no one here as used the particular product I asked about. If I try it out, I'll post the results, but don't hold you breath. .
Old 05-29-22, 10:14 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Preval canister spray system- load the thinned paint in the cup, screw on the propellant tank with spray can type tip and spray.

forgot to note that some systems point to gloss black undercoat- among other attributes is will expose surface irregularities. So, files, emery and wet sand in reducing grades is part of the process in my view. ( surface prep applied to perfect chrome plating too)

I have two forks that need plating. One is a Gios, needs strip surface prep and chrome.

another high value fork that needs a chrome crown and tip faces.

will do the Gios fork first. The other may not get done. Hydrogen embrittlement is a thing.
ask the plater if he has an oven.

final note, 531 is probably easier to work with, Columbus has chrome in it... 531 does not, so when the dechroming stops and the tube attack starts...
monitoring very much required.
Old 05-29-22, 11:02 AM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Has anyone tried to polish the "chrome" paint after spraying and cover the polished "chrome" with clear coat?
Old 05-29-22, 11:18 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
I have no experience with the one-coat liquid that OP has shared, but did buy (and it's not cheap) some rattlecan chrome paint plus the required black undercoat, made by a company call **** Stix (I don't name them...).
I wanted to use it on a Ciocc that had severe chrome loss, but after making a test on a disposable fork, I decided "no".

This paint does give a pretty good facsimile of chrome plating, but not perfect, plus you need the surface to be perfectly smooth so lots of hand work with the best wet/dry papers and micromesh. Then the black undercoat is crucial and must also be perfect, rather than risk incompatible paints I paid another $20 on **** Stix own black paint, add that to the $26 for the chrome paint.

Then you must wait for the black to cure (several days) and get best "chrome" with thin-thin coats, laying it on thick is counter-productive.

All done the stuff is delicate and tho I did not attempt a clear top coat I have read that this can dull the shine, so at the end of experiment decided "this is not the chrome paint you seek..."

HUH! the censor robot does not like the brand name but I did not pick that and am not mentioning the brand to smear any group or individual. it's Sp_z