Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hybrids: Selection and especially sizing.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-24-21, 03:52 PM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 394 Posts

OK, I am getting way outside my comfort zone here; considering buying two hybrid bikes, my first non-road bikes ever. Likely used (presuming availability and pricing might preclude new) if not strictly C&V by my definition but might qualify by yours, and only partially for me.

Yet again, my wife’s brother is tossing us the keys to the beach house. Lovely place, and apparently bought already furnished; that includes bikes in the garage, but “beach cruisers” and we both found them brutal to ride as much as a mile. They should be used in a coral reef building project. The location is such that it’s at the limit for walking to most places (including the ocean) but absurdly short for driving. So, thinking about picking up two hybrids, using them and leaving them behind (brother in law is a cyclist, indeed raced somewhat long ago).

So, searching CL and “hybrid” gets results. Unsure on sizing. I’m seeing 21” and described 'fits riders 6”4 to 6”6”’ which seems absurd, I am 6”0” and mostly legs and all of my bikes are 24”. Spouse is 5”2” and rides 19” road bike. Sizes seem goofy… there’s a 15” frame? Yeah, yeah, some but not all have slanted top tubes. I found a size guide https://www.evanscycles.com/help/bike-sizing-hybrid , but, bluntly, unsure why it’s different than a road bike. What am I missing?

Are there other pitfalls? I presume I won’t be seeing any Campy! Instead, I presume it will the the Shimano flavor of the month, and shifting will be indexed and via thumb shifters or twist grips — fine by me, not going on any 50 miles rides on these bikes. Depending on age, I figure that componentry will be black finished and not polished or chromed — again, should be fine especially in a beach environment. Sealed bearings on cranks, headset, pedals and hubs would be sweet but perhaps unlikely at lower price points. Basically, a transportation bike, shouldn’t be looking for collectors’ item features.

Old 05-24-21, 04:39 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
i'll add, firstly, there's a hybrid subforum you might want to peruse.

the sizing is that way to keep the standover height appropriate while the reach is tuned to the type of handlebar they're intended for as well as riding position. for someone like me at 5'6 (mostly legs, too), i need a 22-23 top tube before getting too stretched out and to keep from needing a long ars stem. otoh, the standover has to remain at most 32 inches. in the world of hybrid "comfort", less standover is ideal so it's not an effort to dismount and also be safe
one of my hybrids has a 19" seat tube and 23" top tube, just as an example

also, out of the three hybrids i have, they all came with low end parts (tourney and altus, respectively). i've upgraded two of them to mid range stuff, though
Old 05-24-21, 04:54 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
I'm going to get on my soap box and say that if you are going to get some leisure riding bikes, the typical American hybrid with almost straight handlebars is not your best choice. It is what people in the US think in their minds is what is best. It has become the road version of a mountain bike - which was often ridden on the road and seldom on trails. What is more comfortable and natural to ride is "north road" handlebars like on English 3 speeds. The Dutch - which actually use bicycles constantly to ride to school and work and just to get anywhere - use M shaped handlebars for solid reasons.

My antidotal case in point is that I turned my wife's touring bike into a hybrid style with MTB straight bars (I say "straight" but they have a 6º bend). This was for slower recreational rides - especially on bike trails. She has always enjoyed riding it (with triple cranks and 8 sp Campy cogs). Having done a huge amount of exploration on what bikes work best for leisure or errands, I made my own bike with north road handlebars. It was the example of how to braze a frame in one of my framebuilding classes. She tried it out one time and that was it. She had to have one too. She loves that style a lot more than her old "hybrid".

The only reason more Americans don't insist on this type of bike is because it isn't what is commonly sold and not because it isn't a superior.

Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 05-24-21, 05:09 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I'm going to get on my soap box and say that if you are going to get some leisure riding bikes, the typical American hybrid with almost straight handlebars is not your best choice...the only reason more Americans don't insist on this type of bike is because it isn't what is commonly sold and not because it isn't superior.
I think this is the way to look at it. There was a Triplecross built as a Porteur bike in a previous thread and it's a beauty.
I'm building a similar one right now and the frame is even smaller than this example. I have a 28" inseam even though I'm 5'9" so smaller frames are out there.
Here's the first example.

And here's my frame as bought, slightly smaller, about a 19".

Old 05-24-21, 05:21 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3782 Post(s)
Liked 3,285 Times in 2,146 Posts
-----

you mention "especially sizing"

keep in mind that purpose built hybrids tend to have high shells for greater ground clearance over uneven surfaces

this is similar to a mtn bike in that you generally use a smaller frame size for a hybrid than for your road machines

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 05-24-21, 06:07 PM
C9H13N 

Bikes: Davidson ’81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 121 Posts
I refurbed a couple of vintage hybrids for my parents a couple years ago. They are in their 60s and aren’t dedicated cyclists these days, although my mom was a bicycle commuter in her younger years.

Like you, hybrid sizing made no sense to me, so I guessed. My mom, who is 5’4”, got a 15” Trek Multitrack 720. My dad, who is 6’4”, got a 23” Univega Via Montega. Both turned out to be close enough.

I am 6’2” and ride 62-64cm vintage road bikes, but the 23” Univega is a little big for me. It has a 61cm top tube and a high BB, and I feel way higher off the road than on any other bike I’ve ridden.

On both, I swapped the stock flat bars to swept back cruiser bars for comfort and a more upright riding position. Worked a charm and was not expensive.

I think I paid $100 for the Trek and $130 for the Univega, of course this was in the Before Times.
Old 05-24-21, 06:32 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
From my chair, the early 1990s 700c hybrids were as good as this kind of bike ever got. Well-made, well-designed frames, often that manufacturer's touring frame. Solid-but-not-great parts. 700c wheels, cantilever brakes, flat bars. (If you don't like 'em, grab a cheap set of North Road bars, cables, and housings, swap the levers, and ride off down to the bar... the conversion costs like 40 bucks, an hour or two, and a couple of beers.)

And, the best thing about 'em is...

Rigid forks.

Seriously. The suspension forks that every bike company puts on every affordable hybrid bike are totally worthless garbage that make bikes suck.

Rant mode off, but I really do think that a top-of-the-line early 90s hybrid would do you up right.

The two that I remember:
Cannondale H-series (model #s are Hx00, all models used the same frame and fork as the T-series touring bikes.)
Trek Multitrak, especially the 750.
But there were many other, For a few years, every good bike brand had one.

--Shannon

Bonus: They're C&R now!
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 05-24-21, 06:48 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
I converted an early Trek road frame into a city ride by getting many braze-ons and adding a riser stem with 2" rise bars. Recently sold this frame. If searching the ads, forget what the seller says regarding sizing and trust your own knowledge about road bike sizing and go with it.

Old 05-24-21, 07:03 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
not to speak for all of them, but there are some really nice modern hybrids. i have no idea what model it was that i saw, but i was window lusting at the bike shop years ago while on a ride one night. i stopped to fantasize over the new fargos and saw a trek hybrid that was really sharp looking. looked quite functional, too, with the racks and bags they had it adorned with. no suspension, either. it had an mtb riser bar, but a butterfly bar would have topped it off nicely

anyway, definite love here also for late 80's early 90's hybrid. at least a few....including my mongoose crossway...could fit a 700x45 very comfortably. who needs a shock when you have that kinda cush?
Old 05-24-21, 07:10 PM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
From my chair, the early 1990s 700c hybrids were as good as this kind of bike ever got. Well-made, well-designed frames, often that manufacturer's touring frame. Solid-but-not-great parts. 700c wheels, cantilever brakes, flat bars. (If you don't like 'em, grab a cheap set of North Road bars, cables, and housings, swap the levers, and ride off down to the bar... the conversion costs like 40 bucks, an hour or two, and a couple of beers.)

And, the best thing about 'em is...

Rigid forks.

Seriously. The suspension forks that every bike company puts on every affordable hybrid bike are totally worthless garbage that make bikes suck.

Rant mode off, but I really do think that a top-of-the-line early 90s hybrid would do you up right.

The two that I remember:
Cannondale H-series (model #s are Hx00, all models used the same frame and fork as the T-series touring bikes.)
Trek Multitrak, especially the 750.
But there were many other, For a few years, every good bike brand had one.

--Shannon

Bonus: They're C&R now!
Another is the Schwinn Crosscut. We got two of these in 94. Only negative to me is the gripshift. Ours have held up fine, fairly light use.

Old 05-25-21, 06:03 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 991 Times in 484 Posts
Regarding 90s hybrids (Multitrack/Crossroads), the fit is more MTB like with longer top tubes and slightly sloping top tubes. For example, a 21" (54cm) Trek 750 has a 570mm top tube. I used bikegeocalc.com to match my position to my 55.5cm top tube cyclocross bike.

At 5-10, I went with a 21" Multitrack 750 for my drop bar conversion

Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 05-25-21, 06:20 AM
tiger1964 

Wow, got lots of good feedback here from so many of you. Thanks!

Originally Posted by thook
i'll add, firstly, there's a hybrid subforum you might want to peruse.
Aah. I knew there was a General Cycling one, didn't look for a Hybrid sub-forum. Still, betcha I get better input here at C&V.

Originally Posted by thook
the sizing is that way to keep the standover height appropriate while the reach is tuned to the type of handlebar they're intended for as well as riding position. for someone like me at 5'6 (mostly legs, too), i need a 22-23 top tube before getting too stretched out and to keep from needing a long ars stem. otoh, the standover has to remain at most 32 inches. in the world of hybrid "comfort", less standover is ideal so it's not an effort to dismount and also be safe
one of my hybrids has a 19" seat tube and 23" top tube, just as an example
also, out of the three hybrids i have, they all came with low end parts (tourney and altus, respectively). i've upgraded two of them to mid range stuff, though
Hmm, sounds like I will need to go see bikes in person to determine all this; bummer, wanted to do a lot of the selection on-line and not make this a protracted project. OK, I "get" that standover is a critical criterion here, and if the seat post is raised more than I am used to, so be it. Plus the brother in law rides IIRC a one inch shorter frame that I do, and he'll use it far more than I. And a really long top tube would be uncomfortable for me. And perhaps look at the CL ads with a critical eye to whether the "Hybrid" design in question is more road or more MTB. Yup, front suspension would not be needed. Rides would usually only be a couple of miles, very flat, pavement but at the beach one often gets sand on the pavement.

Old 05-25-21, 07:21 AM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
Early 90s hybrids tended to mimic mtb geometry with higher bottom brackets, sometimes less than 55mm of drop. That means the seattube measurement would be virtually longer by starting at a higher place. I just sold a Barracuda that had a higher standover in a size 17" than my 56cm steel touring bike.
Old 05-25-21, 10:24 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,887 Times in 1,646 Posts
Sizing of hybrid bikes is far less critical than sizing of drop-bar bikes. That's why even better hybrids are generally offered in size increments of 2 inches or more whereas high-performance drop-bar bikes usually come in 2-cm increments at most. At about 5'8" or so, I could easily accommodate anywhere from a 17" to a 20" or 21" hybrid, though the 21" might be a bit tight in stand-over height.
Old 05-25-21, 11:00 AM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
^^^^^^^ This. Then throw in the already-mentioned variations in BB shell clearance and top-tube angle, and the real sizing answer is -- "Test ride it". Well, you can eliminate extreme outliers based on standover height, if you can get the seller to measure it for you before you venture out.

As for selection, along with the above-mentioned Schwinn "Cross" series (esp. CrossCut) and Trek 7-series (esp 730/750), I would throw in Specialized Crossroads and the various Univega models of the era as good candidates.
Old 05-27-21, 06:32 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I'm going to get on my soap box and say that if you are going to get some leisure riding bikes, the typical American hybrid with almost straight handlebars is not your best choice. It is what people in the US think in their minds is what is best. It has become the road version of a mountain bike - which was often ridden on the road and seldom on trails. What is more comfortable and natural to ride is "north road" handlebars like on English 3 speeds. The Dutch - which actually use bicycles constantly to ride to school and work and just to get anywhere - use M shaped handlebars for solid reasons.
I'm delighted to see I'm not the only one who finds the US flat bar hybrids (the leisure hybrids, not other interpretations) uncomfortable, squirrely-handling bastardizations.

I still maintain that they would not exist if it wasn't for bicycle companies trying to play to the dummies following the MTB trend for the "cool" factor - only to discover that looking cool meant being hunched forward, which Mr. and Ms. Cool didn't consider as part of the prize package.

As such, after giving the middle finger to producing North Road-equipped 3-speeds, one bike company (not sure who started this) got the idea in the late '90s to jack up the headtube and stem of an MTB and called it good - to which everyone followed. It took them years to figure out that they hadn't worked in fender eyelets onto those (generally) unnecessary suspension forks either, for fenders got the boot in the process as well.

Leisure/comfort hybrids are completely unnecessary, bloated, inferior interpretations of a so-called "comfort bike" that continue to convince newcomers that bicycle riding for utility or commuting cannot be an effortless activity. Their effective top tube length is also quite short and front trail often ill-suited to converting to North Roads, so many of them don't retrofit well either.

Thankfully, traditional North Road IGH bikes have begun to crop up again from some companies and the online contract job retailers, but they're often overpriced in comparison to their hybrid cousins.

-Kurt

Last edited by cudak888; 05-27-21 at 10:30 AM.
Likes For cudak888:
Old 05-27-21, 08:58 AM
brianinc-ville

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
What Kurt said. At the beach, an English 3-speed would be ideal. Modern versions of same, like Linus, Public, or Retrospec, have been around for more than 10 years now and are starting to turn up used and cheap.
Likes For brianinc-ville:
Old 05-27-21, 05:03 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I'm delighted to see I'm not the only one who finds the US flat bar hybrids (the leisure hybrids, not other interpretations) uncomfortable, squirrely-handling bastardizations.

I still maintain that they would not exist if it wasn't for bicycle companies trying to play to the dummies following the MTB trend for the "cool" factor - only to discover that looking cool meant being hunched forward, which Mr. and Ms. Cool didn't consider as part of the prize package.

As such, after giving the middle finger to producing North Road-equipped 3-speeds, one bike company (not sure who started this) got the idea in the late '90s to jack up the headtube and stem of an MTB and called it good - to which everyone followed. It took them years to figure out that they hadn't worked in fender eyelets onto those (generally) unnecessary suspension forks either, for fenders got the boot in the process as well.

Leisure/comfort hybrids are completely unnecessary, bloated, inferior interpretations of a so-called "comfort bike" that continue to convince newcomers that bicycle riding for utility or commuting cannot be an effortless activity. Their effective top tube length is also quite short and front trail often ill-suited to converting to North Roads, so many of them don't retrofit well either.

Thankfully, traditional North Road IGH bikes have begun to crop up again from some companies and the online contract job retailers, but they're often overpriced in comparison to their hybrid cousins.

-Kurt
My conversion to north road handlebars over kinda straight MTB bars began when I got involved with providing transportation bicycles to Ukrainian pastors. We started this project over 20 years ago and found some almost suitable bicycles made by the XB3 company in Kharkov, Ukraine. I personally brought Shimano Europe directly to them but eventually it wasn't enough to save them from extinction since they were now completing with quality bikes coming in from Asia. Since part of our mission was to spend as much money as we raised as possible in Ukraine (because most people are poor), the decision was made to make the bicycles there (including the frames). I had to figure out what kind of bicycles to make. I was heavily influenced by the Dutch that actually use their bicycles for getting around purposes. They have internally geared hubs (7 or 8 instead of 3 gears) and of course north road handlebars + other sensible accessories. When I tried out both kinds of handlebars, I clearly liked north road handlebars better than MTB bars. It wasn't close and I had no opinion before I started because all of my many adult years had been spent riding a road bicycle.

However the problem with using swept back bars is that they work best with specific geometry. Because the hands are coming back from the stem instead of going forward, that requires a longer top tube. The more upright position also requires a shallower seat angle.. And there is no advantage to having a higher bottom bracket to ovoid obstacles or leaning hard while pedaling fast through corners. That is why converting a road frame to north road handlebars won't always go well.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 05-27-21, 05:56 PM
tiger1964 

Interesting. I have One experience on a "hybrid" and was pleasantly surprised... perhaps a 20 mile ride on rails-to-trails.

Originally Posted by brianinc-ville
What Kurt said. At the beach, an English 3-speed would be ideal. Modern versions of same, like Linus, Public, or Retrospec, have been around for more than 10 years now and are starting to turn up used and cheap.
Thanks. Just tried a search and apparently "3-speed" is a dreadful CL search criterion.

Old 05-27-21, 06:32 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Thanks. Just tried a search and apparently "3-speed" is a dreadful CL search criterion.
"Raleigh Sports" or "Raleigh Sprite" are good places to start. OfferUp too.

-Kurt

Old 05-28-21, 03:35 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 732 Times in 419 Posts
I have a bunch of project hybrids and time spent riding converted hybrids. So far their all either too big or too small. I've been riding the too big ones successfully, but realy want to try dirt drops on one of the too small frames, some day.... I do have a clean but to big Specialized Cross Roads Cruz frame in a light green that I think would make a great 20 yard squint Riv with swept back bars.
Likes For bark_eater:
Old 05-28-21, 07:30 AM
tiger1964 

"Raleigh Sports" or "Raleigh Sprite" are good places to start. OfferUp too.
Tried simply "Raleigh" and got more hits; even eliminating road bikes and children's bikes, might be worthwhile to keep looking. Have not tried OfferUp yet.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 05-28-21, 07:50 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Originally Posted by tiger1964
Tried simply "Raleigh" and got more hits; even eliminating road bikes and children's bikes, might be worthwhile to keep looking. Have not tried OfferUp yet.
Maryland's selection of 3-speeds are no longer safe from you now

-Kurt

Old 05-28-21, 01:58 PM
madpogue 

Quoted: 2350 Post(s)
Liked 1,728 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
20 yard squint Riv
Old 05-28-21, 02:35 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2385 Post(s)
Liked 2,931 Times in 1,862 Posts
I’m going to make a plug for a Trek Multitrack with rigid fork as well. Before I gave it away in the bike giveaway to a student (last bike picked...go figure), I found it to be pretty darn spry. And I am not a big Trek guy.

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.