Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Should a “betweener" go with a Large or Medium frame?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Should a “betweener" go with a Large or Medium frame?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-21, 07:31 PM
zen_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 55 Posts
I'm 5'9" too and would never buy a large; learned the hard way with an internet buy a few years ago that even a "medium large" was too large. Like other have said though, it's going to vary a lot based on the actual geometry of the bike and you preferred riding position / flexibility. You can make a bike that is a bit too small bigger with adjustments to the stem position, but you can only make a bike that is too big a little smaller before bad compromises have to be made.
Old 12-23-21, 09:04 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I'd ignore the sizing label, determine the stack and reach numbers for a bike you own and like and then buy the bike that gets you in that ballpark. To answer the question: I generally size down if I'm exactly in the middle between two sizes. This is not advice, I'm just explaining what I do.
Old 12-23-21, 11:12 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
If you insist on buying without testing it first, read geometry charts and learn where your proportions fit with respect to top tube length, reach, seat tube angle, etc. Not only do different manufacturers have different ideas of what makes small, medium, and large, but also proportions within those as well.
Old 12-26-21, 04:07 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
It is a subjective decision based in large part on how you like to ride. When I started doing long distance tours in the 1960's the bike frames had criterium race geometry that was very tight and not great for long rides. I would go with a larger frame to be able to be able to stretch out when riding so my lungs and stomach muscles could work better. I always put new handlebars and a new stem on my bikes but wanted a "reach" that put me in the ballpark. I did not want to be hunched over the handlebars. The Dave Scott Centurion was the first factory bike that felt great from the start and before making any modifications having been designed for use in triathalons. The frame geometry that would be my first choice at 5'9" is the Trek Roubaix in size 54 for long distance rides.
Old 12-27-21, 07:09 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
I am 5,9' and using the old Fit Kit formula it recommends a 56cm frame. This formula varies depending on things like leg and torso length, so it can recommend a longer or shorter seat or top tube depending on your body type. But generally speaking, having the same size seat and top tubes will put you in the ball park. I have ridden smaller frames, but I don't like feeling scrunched up on the bike, and don't like using long stems to compensate. When I ride larger frames I don't have enough standover room over the top tube (not relevant with sloping frames), but I like the more stretched out position. A good bike shop should be able to measure you and recommend the best frame size for your body type, it is wise to get the best fit you can.
Old 12-28-21, 01:40 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I would not trust a bike shop worker to properly fit you to the frame as they are subjective based on their own experiences and personal preferences. For me the two key variables are the head tube angle and rake and the length of the chainstays with shorter ones better for hill climbing. Standover height is a nice to have but I do not stand with both feet planted on the ground over the top tube of my road bikes.

At least if you buy a used road bike you will not lose any money if months later you decide to sell it for any reason.
Old 12-28-21, 03:28 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
You can stretch a small frame with a long seat post, setback, a longer stem, longer reach bars .... you can make a frame smaller with a saw and glue.
You choose.
One can do the opposite as well. Found a suitable frame height for my partner, but the 'cockpit' was all wrong for her proportions. So, we replaced the 120mm flat stem w/a 70mm riser, saddle w/a WSD, lowered the seatpost and moved the rails as far forward as possible, cranks from 170 to 165mm and the 12-25t cass w/a 12-32. Made all the difference in the world to her. She says the bike fits her perfectly now.

But, the best option is to get professionally fitted by a lbs that has the equipment. Doing utility or even reasonable commutes don't require all that much fitting. But, if spending long hours in the saddle on or off road, touring, bike packing an ill-fitted bike can ruin an otherwise pleasant experience.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 12-28-21 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-01-22, 04:19 PM
BCSC

Bikes: 2013 Pinarello Marvel; 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 5'10" and have long ridden a 56 with no problems. But I'm in the market for a new bike and based on my research and several test rides, a 54 (at least with most makes) is a more "ideal" fit for me.
Old 01-01-22, 05:45 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by BCSC
I'm 5'10" and have long ridden a 56 with no problems. But I'm in the market for a new bike and based on my research and several test rides, a 54 (at least with most makes) is a more "ideal" fit for me.
That may well be the case depending on what your idea of an "ideal" fit is. I'm guessing you simply prefer a lower stack height and shorter wheelbase. Because that's what it comes down to when you can fit on more than 1 frame size using different stems and spacers.
I'm just a fraction over 6' and can comfortably fit on a 56 or 58 in most road frames. But my "ideal" fit is usually on a 58 simply because I'm going for an endurance fit with slightly higher stack and longer wheelbase. There is no right or wrong answer to sizing up or down. Only personal preference and riding goals.
Old 01-05-22, 03:13 PM
410001661JW

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just bought a 2021 Giant Contend and I was looking for the M/L frame and it was not until when I went in to actually buy my bike that the guy did a quick fitting on my and said you are better with a Medium and it did fit way better. The last bike I bought was a 1988 custom made Cyclops so I had nothing to go by.
Old 01-05-22, 03:21 PM
Rdmonster69
Shawn of the Dead

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 216 Posts
I have a 58 older Trek and a newer Trek 58 Domane. The new 58 feels way better than the old 58 most likely because of the stack/geo differences. I am almost done with a 60 CM Litespeed build as I always felt a 58 in traditional geo was a bit cramped feeling.