Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Fun times with the LBSs

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fun times with the LBSs

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-22, 04:42 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
I have a theory.

Both the OP and the shop measured the spoke correctly. Possibly every one of his spokes is a mm or two too short. It still came together fine when it was machine built but a less than ideal amount to get the threads started by hand, especially when the other spokes were already tensioned.
I'd still like to know how you measure a broken spoke, but _ForceD_ won't enlighten me.
Old 01-08-22, 09:06 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
I'd still like to know how you measure a broken spoke, but _ForceD_ won't enlighten me.
https://www.customcutspokes.co.uk/ho...32269287109375

Dan
Old 01-09-22, 05:37 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Ive (mostly) stopped using the local bike shops. They have no inventory, making me hunt all over town to get what I can just order online, and the few times I actually needed some assistance they attempted grossly upselling parts and service I didn't need. - Still lots of bike shops around. Guess most of their customers doesn't notice any of this and are happy paying to have their bike fixed by someone else.
Old 01-09-22, 07:51 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Ive (mostly) stopped using the local bike shops. They have no inventory, making me hunt all over town to get what I can just order online, and the few times I actually needed some assistance they attempted grossly upselling parts and service I didn't need. - Still lots of bike shops around. Guess most of their customers doesn't notice any of this and are happy paying to have their bike fixed by someone else.

I have the opposite experience at my favorite shop quite regularly. Example: I recently brought in a bike with a faulty 11 speed STI lever… A weird problem that I couldn’t solve. The shifter was shot, so the mechanic just pulled a brand new one out of a box and put it on; charged me $112 for the shifter (less than any price I subsequently found online) and significantly undercharged me for the labor that he put into it. I walked out the same day with a repaired bike.