Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Self-Driving Car Comedy

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Self-Driving Car Comedy

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-22, 03:43 PM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Self-Driving Car Comedy

Self-driving cars aren't perfect. They definitely have room to improve, but this was pretty funny. Skip to 25:24.

Supporting article: https://jalopnik.com/this-tesla-usin...lis-1848506189
Likes For JW Fas:
Old 02-10-22, 04:45 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Merde....
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 02-10-22, 05:18 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Still not ready for prime time. But then, how many human drivers are?
Likes For genec:
Old 02-11-22, 09:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by JW Fas
Self-driving cars aren't perfect. They definitely have room to improve, but this was pretty funny. Skip to 25:24.
oh yeah, that screen isn't distracting
Old 02-11-22, 01:36 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
I don't think the Tesla feature in their vehicles currently being sold to the masses is intended to be autonomous. Their system is supposed to be monitored by the driver at all times. So any comparison or trying to liken accidents from them to fully autonomous vehicles is silly, IMO.

I didn't watch the video because videos waste way too much time that could be more quickly read in written word. So if they were talking about fully autonomous vehicles, then my mistake.
Old 02-11-22, 03:47 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3770 Post(s)
Liked 1,036 Times in 784 Posts
If one of these "self-driving" cars hit me on my bike....Elon's going to owe me big time

Last edited by work4bike; 02-12-22 at 02:49 PM.
Old 02-12-22, 01:50 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
I see that Tesla is putting out a software update in a recall to prevent the "full self-driving" feature from rolling through stop signs. Must have been designed by a cyclist.

Maybe we need Idaho stops for Teslas?

scott s.
Old 02-18-22, 02:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I don't think the Tesla feature in their vehicles currently being sold to the masses is intended to be autonomous. Their system is supposed to be monitored by the driver at all times. So any comparison or trying to liken accidents from them to fully autonomous vehicles is silly, IMO.

I didn't watch the video because videos waste way too much time that could be more quickly read in written word. So if they were talking about fully autonomous vehicles, then my mistake.
Save you the trouble of viewing the video for the incident, the car actually attempted a swerve into a cyclist and the driver was able to pull it out of it in time. Point is that it actually was worse than if there was no AI feature at all.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-26-22, 07:41 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Save you the trouble of viewing the video for the incident, the car actually attempted a swerve into a cyclist and the driver was able to pull it out of it in time. Point is that it actually was worse than if there was no AI feature at all.
And the driver falsely claims that the AI would not have run the cyclist over.
Old 02-27-22, 12:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
And the driver falsely claims that the AI would not have run the cyclist over.
False claims about or from Tesla and other Elon Musk enterprises? Say it ain't so!
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 02-27-22, 02:44 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
The one that worries me at the most at the moment is actually aspects of some of the lighter "driver assist" systems that have been around for a while from a number of makers.

I've only ridden in, not operated such a car (and even then we never encountered this situation) but my assumption is that a lane-departure system is probably going to scold a driver with beeps if they properly pass a cyclist in a situation where there isn't a more leftward lane they can conventionally change into. We never encountered a cyclist, though it definitely did beep now and then when curves on empty rural stretches were sliced towards the fog or center line.

There's already a reality that no small number of well-meaning drivers simply don't know what they're allowed to do when passing a cyclist; adding technology that may reinforce a very bad way of doing so has me worried if the driver feels they're being "penalized" by the warning beeps - or worse, if the warnings end up a factor in one of the "impaired driver detection" algorithms they've been mandated to start working on.

And apparently I'm not alone in that concern - a little searching finds this article which claims that one of these systems will automatically return the car to a dangerous center-of-lane position unless the driver thinks to use their turn signal while passing the cyclist.

Though that's not to say that at first glance normalizing the use of a turn signal when passing a cyclist is necessarily a bad idea to make part of driving culture (though if I saw it in my mirror, I might assume the driver was actually turning, if there a place for them to turn into)

Actually detecting and automatically maneuvering around cyclists sounds great, but it would seem were a long way from that - and there was that whole "transponder beacon" argument a while back - and comes down to the same issue - automation that's anything less than 100.0000% trustworthy can actually create more problems than it solves.

Last edited by UniChris; 02-27-22 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-27-22, 05:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
False claims about or from Tesla and other Elon Musk enterprises? Say it ain't so!

The best I can say for Musk's version of AI driving is that it probably won't create much space junk.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-13-22, 06:27 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 212 Posts
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 03-14-22, 05:03 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4387 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh yeah, that screen isn't distracting
Not been a problem for me. I find Teslas to have one of the least distracting UIs of any car I've driven. Some are just a cluster f*** of random buttons, mix & match lo-res displays and dials. The Tesla UI is slick and intuitive and will be copied by all in due course.
Old 03-14-22, 07:50 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Not been a problem for me. I find Teslas to have one of the least distracting UIs of any car I've driven
good to know. I've never driven one
Old 03-17-22, 12:02 AM
Genius777

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
it's funny for now, but in the next 100% years the job of taxi will dissapear for our planet. All the cars will be automated. And it's nasty, i love to drive car.
Old 03-17-22, 06:45 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Elon has always been in the mode of "build it, then improve until it works." That's great for rapid improvement, but I don't like it when it's done with customer's self driving cars. And he wants to do self driving by only using camera vision. Other real self driving cars use lidar, radar, sonar, and cameras.
Old 03-17-22, 07:42 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Elon has always been in the mode of "build it, then improve until it works." That's great for rapid improvement, but I don't like it when it's done with customer's self driving cars. And he wants to do self driving by only using camera vision. Other real self driving cars use lidar, radar, sonar, and cameras.
Elon has always been about talking about and hyping building something or another, and sometimes it comes to pass, more often than not if anything is built, it is nowhere near as grand as promised.
Still waiting for that useful transportation hyper loop, as well those promised features (due in 2020) that will enable Tesla owners to rent out their vehicles as robo-taxis.

At the present time there are NO real self driving cars, only weather restricted, geo-fenced, intensely human monitored, not ready for prime-time prototypes. Don't hold your breath waiting for a real (i.e. Level 5 AV) self driving car to be available for public use.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 03-17-22 at 08:24 AM.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 03-17-22, 08:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Elon has always been about talking about and hyping building something or another, and sometimes it comes to pass, more often than not if anything is built, it is nowhere near as grand as promised.
Still waiting for that useful transportation hyper loop, as well those promised features (due in 2020) that will enable Tesla owners to rent out their vehicles as robo-taxis.

At the present time there are NO real self driving cars, only weather restricted, geo-fenced, intensely human monitored, not ready for prime-time prototypes. Don't hold your breath waiting for a real (i.e. Level 5 AV) self driving car to be available for public use.

On the other hand, who hasn't wanted to drive in a sewer under Las Vegas at 20 mph? Living the high-tech dream!
Old 03-19-22, 02:01 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Funny!

Old 03-21-22, 10:24 PM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Funny!

How much oil is pumped, and waste burned off to produce a gallon of gas? How many fracking sites are there, scattered across the plains of Texas, New Mexico and beyond. Ever see crude oil in the ocean?

Really, we do have to honestly compare these wastes.
Old 03-21-22, 11:17 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by genec
How much oil is pumped, and waste burned off to produce a gallon of gas? How many fracking sites are there, scattered across the plains of Texas, New Mexico and beyond. Ever see crude oil in the ocean?

Really, we do have to honestly compare these wastes.

Crude oil in Oceans have been occurring since before man knew what it was. Sea floor fault-line movement due to earthquakes can release pressurized oil (seeps). It's a natural process, which bacteria and other organisms breaks down over time. The real problem is all the un-natural engineered chemicals used during a spill to aid cleanup.

Old 03-22-22, 07:19 AM
genec
genec

Crude oil in Oceans have been occurring since before man knew what it was. Sea floor fault-line movement due to earthquakes can release pressurized oil (seeps). It's a natural process, which bacteria and other organisms breaks down over time. The real problem is all the un-natural engineered chemicals used during a spill to aid cleanup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vd_0iGgOQK0
Great... do we need to also aid the natural seeps with unnatural holes and the pumping of waste products back into fracking holes, which seep into the water table.

The planet is bathed in energy from the sun.
In a single hour, the amount of power from the sun that strikes the Earth is more than the entire world consumes in an year.Each hour 430 quintillion Joules of energy from the sun hits the Earth. That's 430 with 18 zeroes after it!

In comparison, the total amount of energy that all humans use in a year is 410 quintillion Joules.

Clearly, we have a source of virtually unlimited (the sun won't die out for another 5 billion years or so) clean energy in the form of solar power — we're just not capturing it.
https://www.businessinsider.com/this...r-power-2015-9

Push our energy research toward solar and battery and renewable energy and storage methods, and we can stop punching holes in the earth for old dino juice.

Ever take a good look at west Texas, from a satellite view...
Texas, New Mexico, and other states are all "punched" full of holes for fracking...
So the environmental impact is not only the drilling, but the pollution into the air and the pollution pushed back into the ground to pump out the sludge from which oil is derived.
I marked a few with red marks... but that dot pattern is just a tiny example of what is being done.
Old 03-22-22, 08:23 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by genec
Great... do we need to also aid the natural seeps with unnatural holes and the pumping of waste products back into fracking holes, which seep into the water table.

The planet is bathed in energy from the sun.

https://www.businessinsider.com/this...r-power-2015-9

Push our energy research toward solar and battery and renewable energy and storage methods, and we can stop punching holes in the earth for old dino juice.

Ever take a good look at west Texas, from a satellite view...
Texas, New Mexico, and other states are all "punched" full of holes for fracking...
So the environmental impact is not only the drilling, but the pollution into the air and the pollution pushed back into the ground to pump out the sludge from which oil is derived.
I marked a few with red marks... but that dot pattern is just a tiny example of what is being done.
The sun and wind won't meet energy requirements of modern societies. Neither will tidal. Everything you own or use has been touched by oil in some way. There is no replacement for it. That's just the way it is. But, oil is finite and riding a bike can help reduce it's use. Speaking of the Sun, it is the main driver behind weather and climate patterns here on Earth, not Man. All we can do is adapt to its' changes, which are largely cyclical BTW.
Old 03-22-22, 09:54 AM
JW Fas
Cop Magnet

Quoted: 240 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Since pollution is inevitable, I'd rather move from several hundred million uncontrolled sources of pollution to only thousands of controlled, heavily regulated, and relatively isolated sources of pollution.