Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Warning N. CA East Bay Mtb'ers!

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Warning N. CA East Bay Mtb'ers!

Old 03-08-22, 03:25 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 502 Times in 319 Posts
I am not a mt biker but rather a long time hiker in the EAST bay. I do ride my bike on various paved trails around the area. Reading the OP sounds very much like Trumpian nonsense. I don’t buy any of it. It’s the whole paranoid message from his supporters. Like “bikers are being discriminated against” thing.

I am sorry “not much” that bikers have not gotten everything that they want. But having to jump out of the way to avoid being hit by downhill riders in the local parks has made me not a supporter. And the local bike shop showing pictures in their advertising of obviously illegal riding doesn’t help either.

i think these kind of riders are similar to people with off leash dogs. They don’t have any idea about how the rest of the world views them.

EOM.
Likes For Joe Bikerider:
Old 03-09-22, 08:18 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Bikerider
I am not a mt biker but rather a long time hiker in the EAST bay. I do ride my bike on various paved trails around the area. Reading the OP sounds very much like Trumpian nonsense. I don’t buy any of it. It’s the whole paranoid message from his supporters. Like “bikers are being discriminated against” thing.

I am sorry “not much” that bikers have not gotten everything that they want. But having to jump out of the way to avoid being hit by downhill riders in the local parks has made me not a supporter. And the local bike shop showing pictures in their advertising of obviously illegal riding doesn’t help either.

i think these kind of riders are similar to people with off leash dogs. They don’t have any idea about how the rest of the world views them.

EOM.
I think this brings up another obvious point that hasn't been discussed. There's no way to open up this land to cycling usage without opening it up for hiking, running, and other non-motorized recreational purposes. That's a lot of people going on this land that currently are prohibited from doing so. OP wants to pretend that they're in a good position to judge the impact of that on HABITAT (the E. coli thing was a red herring from the start) which EBMUD is currently the custodian of.

Whether there's crime in a city or not, enforcement of environmental protection on public land is a good thing. It's friggin' California, fer cryin' out loud, it's not like there's a shortage of legal recreational areas.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-09-22, 03:20 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Just curious. In what way would cycling pose a threat to the watershed?
Old 03-09-22, 03:28 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think this brings up another obvious point that hasn't been discussed. There's no way to open up this land to cycling usage without opening it up for hiking, running, and other non-motorized recreational purposes. That's a lot of people going on this land that currently are prohibited from doing so. OP wants to pretend that they're in a good position to judge the impact of that on HABITAT (the E. coli thing was a red herring from the start) which EBMUD is currently the custodian of.

Whether there's crime in a city or not, enforcement of environmental protection on public land is a good thing. It's friggin' California, fer cryin' out loud, it's not like there's a shortage of legal recreational areas.

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard

you aint just dealing with cyclers ... let 1 group in you gotta let everyone in (see post above)
Old 03-09-22, 03:32 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

EBMUD is also charged with protecting habitat. People cutting paths and hanging around tends to screw with things in that regard. Keep in mind that watershed and habitat are for many species pretty much synonymous.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-09-22, 03:38 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2220 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,774 Posts
And of course there is the simple issue of erosion control.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-09-22, 03:42 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
And of course there is the simple issue of erosion control.

And where there's people, there's increased fire danger. And litter.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-09-22, 03:53 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
The area of Canyon is an off the charts beautiful redwood grove. We get to ride many other trails and in some cases get our own. I read that article about the ridge trail from Fernandez ranch, which presently gets bike access along the John Muir trust land. Cows keep the open spaces clear of dense overgrowth. We do not lack areas to ride around here so I'm not sure why you want to eat the apple. I'm going to say that ticket and this discussion is the reason the penalty is so high. To discourage the unplanned building of trails through protected areas. I do know there are bike enthusiasts inside of the EBMID hierarchy that are working to open some more land.

Pauls Peak, Somewhere between EBMUD, EBpark and John Muir land trust

Last edited by curbtender; 03-09-22 at 04:21 PM.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 03-09-22, 03:53 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

increased fire danger
... which is turning out to be a BIG problem already this year, where it hasn't rained significantly in the area since the end of December 2021. Allocation of resources has been and will be a major issue. Many places that are normally open will need to be shut down this summer for fire prevention.

There is a case, in the Sierra, where someone inadvertently started a fire with a Mg pedal strike.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 03-09-22, 03:54 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

EBMUD is also charged with protecting habitat. People cutting paths and hanging around tends to screw with things in that regard. Keep in mind that watershed and habitat are for many species pretty much synonymous.
I mountain bike in Crested Butte CO nearly every summer. It is a very popular mountain bike destination. Some of the most popular trails go right through their watershed. In fact, it's not at all uncommon that MTB trails run through watersheds. Obviously not all watersheds are the same. I wondered if there was anything specific to the subject watershed that would be threatened by MTB trails and activity.
Old 03-09-22, 04:12 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
I mountain bike in Crested Butte CO nearly every summer. It is a very popular mountain bike destination. Some of the most popular trails go right through their watershed. In fact, it's not at all uncommon that MTB trails run through watersheds. Obviously not all watersheds are the same. I wondered if there was anything specific to the subject watershed that would be threatened by MTB trails and activity.
lots of possibilities, best studied by hydrologists, environmental scientists, etc. but the first question would be what kind/density of human usage are we talking about?

population within 50 mile radius of crested butte, co: 56,956
population within 50 mile radius of oakland, ca: 7,954,874

so, around 140 times as many people. if you open up a trail, you'll likely get 99% of the people using it carefully and respectfully, not going off trail, not starting fires, discarding plastic or beer bottle or used condoms, not grinding their tires against tree roots and running over snakes and ****ting in the trees. but 1% of 10 people a day is one incident every 10 days. 1% of 1,400 people a day is 14 ****ed up things happening every day. one of those things will probably be a fire.

of course it's not that simple, along with 140 times as many people there are more recreation opportunities and destinations, but an interesting thing about the bay area (and other western metros) is how very close the high density areas are to watersheds, national parks, green belts, agricultural land, etc. i regularly ride to three different major watersheds, serving millions of people, in less than an hour from my office or home in downtown san francisco.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 03-09-22, 04:34 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Originally Posted by mschwett
lots of possibilities, best studied by hydrologists, environmental scientists, etc. but the first question would be what kind/density of human usage are we talking about?

population within 50 mile radius of crested butte, co: 56,956
population within 50 mile radius of oakland, ca: 7,954,874

so, around 140 times as many people. if you open up a trail, you'll likely get 99% of the people using it carefully and respectfully, not going off trail, not starting fires, discarding plastic or beer bottle or used condoms, not grinding their tires against tree roots and running over snakes and ****ting in the trees. but 1% of 10 people a day is one incident every 10 days. 1% of 1,400 people a day is 14 ****ed up things happening every day. one of those things will probably be a fire.

of course it's not that simple, along with 140 times as many people there are more recreation opportunities and destinations, but an interesting thing about the bay area (and other western metros) is how very close the high density areas are to watersheds, national parks, green belts, agricultural land, etc. i regularly ride to three different major watersheds, serving millions of people, in less than an hour from my office or home in downtown san francisco.

I suspected that the anticipated use was high based on the population density. Is this one different from the other three watersheds you ride because of how close it is to the population center?
Old 03-09-22, 04:45 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
I suspected that the anticipated use was high based on the population density. Is this one different from the other three watersheds you ride because of how close it is to the population center?
this IS one of the three! i ride to them, not through them, generally. beautiful and generally lightly tracked roads tend to line the edges of these areas, plus some roads and fire roads through, and depending on the particular area, some trails. i’m all for more places to ride, but there are already so many, the notion of it being righteous civil disobedience to flout the rules is silly.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 03-10-22, 11:02 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
A $600 fine is abusive big government pure and simple.

This make a good case for not having a valid ID on you when you ride.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 03-10-22, 11:07 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rydabent
A $600 fine is abusive big government pure and simple.

This make a good case for not having a valid ID on you when you ride.
No, it is not. No, it does not.

It makes a good case for not trying to get across a barbed wire fence to trespass with a bicycle.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-10-22, 04:28 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,214 Posts
Discussed this with some friends that ride the area. This is a known spot for enforcement. Yes, some people get paid to make people follow the rules. The amount of the fine is probably set so high to spank the more affluent. If the offender has issues with paying then they should go before a judge to look for a reduction.
Old 03-11-22, 05:35 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by curbtender
Discussed this with some friends that ride the area. This is a known spot for enforcement. Yes, some people get paid to make people follow the rules. The amount of the fine is probably set so high to spank the more affluent. If the offender has issues with paying then they should go before a judge to look for a reduction.

If this is a known spot for enforcement, that means that lots of people are making the attempt at that place. Absolutely, deterrence there is necessary if the environmental law is to have any effect.
Old 03-11-22, 07:09 AM
Comfort is King

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 22 Posts
Just like all other cash fines, it's fundamentally unfair. While $600 might be quite a deterrent and/or penalty for most, for many it wouldn't have any effect. It doesn't seem right how one person should lose a week's pay, while the next looses one day's. This holds especially true for speeding. Wealthy people with sports cars treat some of the best cycling roads as race tracks, essentially with impunity, because whatever fine is a joke to them.
Likes For Comfort is King:
Old 03-11-22, 07:40 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I have quite a bit of sympathy for post #43, but less so for the perps.

Maybe the fine should be replaced by confiscation of the offending vehicle for six months.
Old 03-11-22, 07:46 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 774 Posts
Old 03-11-22, 09:17 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Comfort is King
Just like all other cash fines, it's fundamentally unfair. While $600 might be quite a deterrent and/or penalty for most, for many it wouldn't have any effect. It doesn't seem right how one person should lose a week's pay, while the next looses one day's. This holds especially true for speeding. Wealthy people with sports cars treat some of the best cycling roads as race tracks, essentially with impunity, because whatever fine is a joke to them.

Agreed, increase the fines for rich people to one week's pay.

BTW, some countries in Europe do exactly that, it's called a "day fine" system, the fine is a sliding scale based on how much you earn in a day, and the sentence will be "x days fine". Then the sentenced person has to document their income to determine the amount per day.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-20-22, 08:20 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Just heard that MAJOR illegal riding enforcement is happening on East Bay Municipal Utility District land in Oakland/Moraga. It concerns the illegal trail that drops off East Ridge Trail in Redwood Regional Park, into EBMUD and to Pinehurst Rd.

The rider in question had just lifted his bike over the barbed wire fence at the bottom when a cop emerged from behind a tree and cited him. $600!!!! First offense. Cop said a second offense means arrest, going to jail, charged with a misdemeanor, a higher fine and confiscation of your bike. Not sure if this means seizure.

Anyway, we need to OVERWHELM the EBRPD and EBMUD phone lines with complaints about this COMPLETE overreach of authority. This is excessive law enforcement. And I admit, we shouldn't be building unsanctioned trails. It obviously hurts our cause. I get this. I've never done it and don't plan on it. I've criticized YouTubers who post videos of kids advocating for and using illegally-built trails. I've been in the game long enough to get this. BUT, I also understand the urge to do it and why it happens. We've been marginalized for long enough. And yes, I'll add that I also concede that this is a relatively "minor" first-world problem. Our country has so many other more important, crucial and high-priority causes to address. But that doesn't mean we can't do both, or more, right?

Hiding behind trees in the woods? $600 fines? Wow, talk about misappropriation of very limited law enforcement resources!

EBMUD:
https://www.ebmud.com/contact-us/
customerservice@ebmud.com or call 1-866-403-2683.

EBRPD:
https://www.ebparks.org/contact
Receptionist: General Questions - 1-888-327-2757
EBRPD Public Safety Headquarters: Non-Emergency Business (510) 881-1833
Email Form: https://www.ebparks.org/contact/form

And since when did the public give EBMUD exclusive right to treat their lands like a fiefdom? I'm disappointed that these "Protected Watershed" lands have been kept off limits from the public for ever. All while they let ranchers graze their livestock in the same places. Cows crapping in our watershed, but god forbid a hiker or worse, A BICYCLE!, tread on this rarefied earth!!! But lots of cows! (At least there used to be.) Not very protected, if you ask me!

Please also speak with your dollars! Join Bicycle Trails Council of the East Bay to help fund the effort to make the badly needed change to land access:
https://btceb.org/
(BTW, CAMTB is running a drawing right now, so if you follow BTCEB's link, you can use your membership dollars to enter their raffle to win a Canyon Specral 125 CF 7. Hey, wait, I'm gonna dilute my raffle ticket chances by promoting this! Too bad!!!)

Please call or email EBMUD and EBRPD this week to complain. Thanks.
This is your greedy B'crats in action. They want more of your money.
Old 03-20-22, 12:58 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
If there was ever a time to become anti-cyclist, this might be it.
Old 03-20-22, 02:53 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rydabent
this is your greedy b'crats in action. They want more of your money.

bs.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 03-23-22, 11:12 AM
rydabent
Banned

bs.
If that is not true, why then is the fine so obscenely high?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.