Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

There is one moderate hill. Takes me 2 minutes to climb.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

There is one moderate hill. Takes me 2 minutes to climb.

Old 05-16-22, 07:07 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked 552 Times in 298 Posts
This is a hill I try to incorporate in most of my rides. This is just a three mile segment, but it continues on for a few more miles at a slightly reduced grade. Most of the rides I incorporate this hill are 18-30 miles long. Did this hill today as part of a 40 mile ride. Just brutal. There are points that hit 5%, and I definitely feel it, but the average is 2.4 (can't round to 2.5 or the Party Guy will jump in to correct me). There's more to this hill but this is the part where I tend to stand up and mash for a good workout.

Old 05-16-22, 08:39 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Strava needs to develop some way to identify those on e-bikes.
I don't know about that Strava hill climb. I know there are some riders that are just leaner and stronger than me.

Another favorite segment of mine is moderately U-shaped. Mostly -1% to -2%, with a slight lead-in, and a slight incline at the end. I was surprised that it naturally pushes one to about 30MPH without trying too hard. I had thought it was flat until I looked at the speed.

The current KOM is at 80 MPH.

Ok, perhaps not on a bicycle. Especially since the speedster is heading straight down the freeway which goes parallel to the segment.

I've left it there so messages don't go out "XYZ has taken your KOM", just in case I can get up to the KOM. Yet, when one used to be able to analyze Strava rides, the person that is now at #3 (behind the likely legit cyclist) was using an older Garmin that took data points every 5 seconds, so the distance traveled between data points was the equivalent to about 5 seconds missing, making it awfully hard to catch.

It should be possible for Strava to filter out cars. Fist of all, they tend to have a more constant torque/speed, and take different routes than the bikes. As well as impossible speeds.
Old 05-16-22, 09:11 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
It’s usually pretty obvious when someone gets a KOM in a car. Usually it’s because they have driven to the ride, they load up their bike, and forget to shut off their computer or phone app. You’ll see rides where they spend an hour going 12mph, then there’s a break, and suddenly they’re going 45.
Old 05-16-22, 09:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2564 Post(s)
Liked 5,595 Times in 2,903 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
I bet you're a lot of fun at parties.
Hill-arious!! I definitely would invite you to my parties.

Old 05-17-22, 04:59 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but for every 2 degrees above 90 Fahrenheit, the grade increases by 1.5%. I've measured this carefully by my super-secret patented methodology (very few lab animals are employed and the conditions are relatively humane).

Really, though, sweat in the face sure gets worse when the air flow isn't high.
Old 05-17-22, 07:19 AM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,646 Times in 776 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It’s usually pretty obvious when someone gets a KOM in a car. Usually it’s because they have driven to the ride, they load up their bike, and forget to shut off their computer or phone app. You’ll see rides where they spend an hour going 12mph, then there’s a break, and suddenly they’re going 45.
That can happen when you start out riding, and then find yourself in the back of an ambulance.

Don't ask how I know.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 05-17-22, 07:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

That can happen when you start out riding, and then find yourself in the back of an ambulance.

Don't ask how I know.

I don't need to. Don't ask me why.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-20-22, 10:56 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
I worked very hard to get my hill climbing skills up to par. For me locally I have a 7 mile loop that climbs 850 feet. One hill is .95 miles and average 6.6% grade. From my experience when on a difficult climb the second you start to think you are done you are done.

Having sad that i'm just getting over an extended illness and need to hit the flats.
Old 05-20-22, 02:06 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Thomas15
Having sad that i'm just getting over an extended illness and need to hit the flats.
I went through that last year, and the hills are definitely the last thing to come back. My only advice is to be patient with yourself.

I wish you good health and tail winds.
Old 05-22-22, 12:02 AM
VegasJen

Did this ride today (map on top, elevation on bottom). Shorter than I thought, but I was actually pressed for time. I have my cursor on the slope of the third and steepest hill in the "Three Sisters" chain. According to the map, it's 16%. I have to get that right or Party Guy will come in and correct me. Anyway, it looks pretty much straight up on the map, and it looks pretty much straight up in real life. It is absolutely brutal. They shouldn't call them "Three Sisters", they should call them "Three Mothers", because damn! Anyway, good little ride to get the heart pumping and maybe the last ride I do in Vegas before fall. That's the bad thing about living in the desert, while everyone else is getting their bikes out, we're getting ready to put ours up.

Old 05-22-22, 12:51 AM
Eds0123

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Warbird, (Specially Love my) 2021 Salsa Cutthroat, 2012 Surly LHT, 2015 Surly Cross-Check, 2008 Giant OCR A1, 2005 Leader 735R, 2005 Gary Fisher Montare, 1991 Nishiki Pueblo,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
Eventually you realize it's the mind you're pushing, not the body. The body just goes along for the ride.
Velominati Rule #6.1?
Old 05-22-22, 01:27 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
There is one moderate hill. Takes me 2 minutes to climb. I love it. It's not insane, and just hard enough to get the heart pumping ... I want to ride this hill every morning to start my day ...
Back in the day, doing distance running (and all the training that comes with that), we had a bluff nearby that formed the backbone of our hill work.

We could head along the 3mi-long MUP for our fast, flat speed work. At the start of a run or on the way back, we could head to the bluff and follow the steep inclines around it. It worked for our sprints and the hill work. Each incline was less than 200ft in length, and about a ~80-90ft climb. Steep. Would certainly get the heart pumping. At full tilt, a dozen of those inclines in the middle of a 6-9mi run could wipe the smile off even the most capable runner.

(Can't recall if we ever gave that thing a nickname. "Ball Peen" might have worked, on the lighter days. "Slegehammer," on the nastier days full of sprints and intervals. Oh, well.)

Intervals and hill training on that bluff became an integral part of our season prep and keeping our skills as sharp as they could be. Brief enough to be tolerable, but tough enough to be really difficult if we pushed it. Good stuff.
Old 05-22-22, 01:29 AM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 564 Times in 428 Posts
... It is absolutely brutal. They shouldn't call them "Three Sisters", they should call them "Three Mothers", because damn!
"The Witches' Trio," perhaps.

Gotta love hills.
Old 05-23-22, 10:07 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
I climbed up a 5% hill for about 2 mins.
Max grade hits 12%.

This is a perfect little interval challenge.
This weekend, I will ride back and forth on this hill, and try 8 reps.
Old 05-23-22, 10:15 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
That's the bad thing about living in the desert, while everyone else is getting their bikes out, we're getting ready to put ours up.

what do you mean exactly? not familiar with Vegas weather but is it too cold in winter? i figured it would be warmer than in Reno and you can ride year round. truth be told i can ride year round but i don't like it cold.
Old 05-23-22, 10:45 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by spelger
what do you mean exactly? not familiar with Vegas weather but is it too cold in winter? i figured it would be warmer than in Reno and you can ride year round. truth be told i can ride year round but i don't like it cold.
No, it's too hot in summer. Everybody else is getting their bikes out and ready for "riding season". Our riding season may last eight months, but it's now getting too hot. Bikes will go up until probably September, except for the rare cold (relative term) front that moves through.

I'll ride today and tomorrow, and maybe a couple more times here in may, but then I probably won't get more than one or two rides a month until late September or early October.
Old 05-23-22, 01:14 PM
spelger

oops. guess i had it backwards.
Old 05-23-22, 02:46 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by spelger
oops. guess i had it backwards.
Reno doesn't get that hot? Honest question, it was pretty bloody hot the one time I was there.
Old 05-23-22, 03:00 PM
spelger

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Reno doesn't get that hot? Honest question, it was pretty bloody hot the one time I was there.
by backwards i meant that i thought she stopped riding at the beginning of fall. because of that error i thought she meant it was too cold in winter to ride.

it does get hot here but not 120F like vegas. only 100+. (sure, *only*)
Old 05-24-22, 12:06 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Strava needs to develop some way to identify those on e-bikes.
Usually those only get caught by the KOM/QOM owner. It's very obvious when the HR is like 100 and the speed is what a world tour pro would max their HR out at. If they contest it, own them in the comments and tell them to meet the crew out at the hill so they can show off their amazing skills.

Originally Posted by Eds0123
Velominati Rule #6.1?
I feel like this is only partly true. Ignoring your physiology can land you with significantly sub-stellar cycling performances. In other words, treating your match book like an endless blank check book. But some folks do just "chicken out" also when it's time to chew bar tape and get on with it.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 05-25-22, 06:05 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Ok, I did the up/down hill on my road for 5 laps (10 total hills)

No flat. Either up 5% or down 5% grade the entire time.

Total ride was 30 mins. 5 miles total.

Was a good workout. Will do this again.