Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Got a Gravel bike on a C&V frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Got a Gravel bike on a C&V frame?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-20, 01:24 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I don't understand Bike Forums heartburn with gravel bikes/adventure bikes, drop bars, brazeons, slacker geometry, and big tires what's not to like?

Last edited by Germany_chris; 10-21-20 at 12:02 AM.
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 10-20-20, 03:23 AM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I don't understand Bike Forums heartburn with gravel bikes/adventure bikes, drop bars brazeons, slacker geometry, and big tires what's not to like?
Roadies. C&V is a bit more accepting as many members ride wider tyres like 650B.
Likes For JaccoW:
Old 10-20-20, 09:18 AM
gthomson

Bikes: 2013 Cannondale Caad 8, 2010 Opus Fidelio, 1985 Peugeot UO14, 1999 Peugeot Dune, Sakai Select, L'Avantage, 1971 Gitane Apache Standard, 1999 Specialized Hard Rock

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 473 Times in 302 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
For a host of reasons. Lower traffic roads, explore, more challenging due to steeper grades, and more.

Why are you limiting your imagination to only crushed stone paths? Thats quite the arbitrarily limited experience you have created..
And why must $3000 be spent? Why not $2200? Why not $900?

Hey thanks for the extensive reply and information on gravel bikes. I was mostly trying to generate response from what people were doing as a C&V solution to a gravel bike and it looks like a lot of people have some answers. You are correct, I am a roadie and I know very little about what gravel products are out there or their price which is why I come to these forums to get advice from helpful people with way more experience on the topic than me. I also trust this experience, more than some kid at a bike store.
I'm really happy with the responses from this post and seeing what other members are using as a gravel bike from bikes that are not new. I don't have any plans on going out and buying anything new until I try something several times before I decide it's something I want to pursue, so the option of using a C&V bike is what I would start with and then go from there.
Old 10-20-20, 09:29 AM
CrowSeph

Bikes: BMC SLR01; Cannondale Trail; Lot's of project and vintage bikes..

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked 168 Times in 101 Posts
yes i do! and i love so much this bike.
video is old actually i have changed a few things for a better use. When i have some free time i'll make an update video.
Likes For CrowSeph:
Old 10-20-20, 09:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Hey thanks for the extensive reply and information on gravel bikes. I was mostly trying to generate response from what people were doing as a C&V solution to a gravel bike and it looks like a lot of people have some answers. You are correct, I am a roadie and I know very little about what gravel products are out there or their price which is why I come to these forums to get advice from helpful people with way more experience on the topic than me. I also trust this experience, more than some kid at a bike store.
I'm really happy with the responses from this post and seeing what other members are using as a gravel bike from bikes that are not new. I don't have any plans on going out and buying anything new until I try something several times before I decide it's something I want to pursue, so the option of using a C&V bike is what I would start with and then go from there.
Early 90s hybrids are a great way to start. Low cost and you can figure out what you like or dislike then go from there once you know more.
Univega Via line, Schwinn Crosscut, Schwinn Crisscross, Trek 730, Trek 750, Miyata TripleCross, etc etc. All are 700c, readily accept modern drivetrains, can handle wide tires, and are relatively inexpensive to convert.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-20-20, 11:27 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
You must cry every time a piece of gravel gets kicked up at that beauty!
Originally Posted by Choke
35s fit on this 1966 Frejus.

1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 10-20-20, 12:27 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
I'm not really sure I buy into the whole gravel bike craze but it sure is popular these days and seems like anyone on road bikes are changing over to gravel bikes. I just can't imagine spending another 3 grand on a road bike with a thicker wheel and tire to ride around on crush gravel paths? If you had a nice, carbon mountain bike, wouldn't you just take that out to ride with your gravel bike friends? Will they eventually put suspension on gravel bikes to hit some trails?

I'm thinking you could take a nice steel frame, road or mountain bike and turn it into a decent gravel bike for a lot less than 3 grand so show me what you got.
my 1960 Rabeneick 100 Modell Campagnolo is pretty gravelly if you put some Challenge Grifos on

Old 10-20-20, 02:05 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Just an aside but we don't really have many actual gravel roads in California. I'm sure there's some somewhere, but they aren't common. I remember seeing more when I was a kid. Dirt roads are typically dirt. Usually it's got enough clay in it to stay together, but they can get pretty sandy in summertime. Occasionally I'll come across fire and access roads that are spread with railroad 'gravel', which is more like sharp walnut sized rocks. Those roads sure are a joy...

I remember a lot of those sort of in between roads where they spray down some tar, and spread gravel across it. I forget what they're called. Haven't seen one in a long time.

Therefore, I don't have any gravel bikes.
Old 10-20-20, 02:15 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
There's plenty of gravel roads in CA, but they all have "No Trespassing" signs. Access roads, frontage roads, logging roads, they're all over the place and they mostly have limited access. I do ignore the signs around RR Tracks, and have never been arrested or chastised by anyone except people on this board. PG&E has lots of access roads I would love to try out, but I'm not sure they're quite as mellow as the RR companies, being convicted murderers manslaughterers and all:

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/16/87900...rted-that-fire
Old 10-20-20, 02:18 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
I don't have any bikes that I'm not willing to ride on gravel.
Same here. I've ridden gravel on fancy-dancy road racing bikes. I was on a group ride with a gang of about ten cyclists on the Old Croton Aqueduct trail. It's a pretty rough trail though it's not hilly. One guy asked me WHY I'm riding it on a road racing bikes with narrow tires. My answer was that it was all I had, as I had loaned out my bike with 32mm tires to the fellow who came with me.

This is the bike I recently built for a multitude of purposes. It's a 1971 Raleigh Super Course. I spread the rear triangle to 130mm and installed a modern-ish 2x8 drivetrain and 700x37 tires.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-20-20, 02:31 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
This bike has seen some gravel, and it was a joy. Sturmey-Archer AW hub, and 32mm tires.

That trail has some sections that are bigger, looser pieces. If I wanted to seek out gravel roads exclusively I wouldn't hesitate to take this bike.

Lots of varied builds shown already. If you can get the gearing and tire width you want, then you can build it. One can spend a couple hundred or a couple thousand, but could ride gravel either way.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 10-20-20, 03:17 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
What constitutes a gravel bike depends on what your gravel looks like. If you're riding, say, the Iron Horse Trail in Washington or the Katy Trail in Missouri, you can get by with 25mm tires and "racing" gearing. If you're riding the North Trask trail from Portland to Tillamook, you'd better have much lower gearing and wider tires. If you're riding single track with rocks and roots in your path, you probably want to go with 2" or wider tires and flat bars, ie, a mountain bike.

All of these can be done on a C&V frame, choice of which depends on tire width and gearing required.
Old 10-20-20, 03:24 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
There's plenty of gravel roads in CA, but they all have "No Trespassing" signs.
A bit of an overstatement. When I lived in the Bay Area I found plenty of dirt roads in most of the counties ringing the bay.

Bolinas Ridge is as good an example as you'll find anywhere, with views as great as you'll find anywhere.
Old 10-20-20, 03:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
Just an aside but we don't really have many actual gravel roads in California. I'm sure there's some somewhere, but they aren't common.
California is a huge state. I grew up in the Central Valley, a short drive would take you up in the foothills of the Sierra which are full of gravel roads. I rode up Mt. Tamalpais on a touring bike a couple of years ago with my buddy Jim G. 700c x 35's work well for most gravel, I've found.

Marin and Sonoma County are full of unpaved roads.

Last edited by gugie; 10-20-20 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-20-20, 03:56 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Yes, all counties in California are pretty much like Marin County.

I should have said that "where I live" the gravel roads are generally private. Somebody had to build and dedicate those Bolinas Ridge trails and spend millions, they aren't just power line access roads that the company lets people ride on. In the poorer areas of the state, this kind of stuff simply does not happen. And I'm not complaining. That's just the way it is, where i live anyway.
Old 10-20-20, 05:03 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
California is a huge state. I grew up in the Central Valley, a short drive would take you up in the foothills of the Sierra which are full of gravel roads. I road up Mt. Tamalpais on a touring bike a couple of years ago with my buddy Jim G. 700c x 35's work well for most gravel, I've found.
True 'nuff. Are they still there? I was born in the Central Valley and spent a lot of time there in my youth. I remember gravel roads that were spread with actual gravel, but I haven't seen one in ages.

Nice pic, btw. I suppose you took one of the fire roads or trails up? I've ridden up Mt Tam lots of times, but only up the road on my road bike. It always seems like it's never going to end.
Old 10-20-20, 05:27 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Salamandrine
True 'nuff. Are they still there? I was born in the Central Valley and spent a lot of time there in my youth. I remember gravel roads that were spread with actual gravel, but I haven't seen one in ages.

Nice pic, btw. I suppose you took one of the fire roads or trails up? I've ridden up Mt Tam lots of times, but only up the road on my road bike. It always seems like it's never going to end.
Mt. Tam up Railroad Grade. Yep, never ends. We stopped at West Point Inn for a break.

Above Fresno there's a lot of dirt/gravel roads. My sister built a house near Friant, plenty of places to ride up there. There are a lot of private roads, but you can find places to ride without much effort. Oregon has forestry roads built for logging, and has tons of them. The neat thing is that most of them have to be open to the public for recreation by law. If you go on a week day, they're closed off to cars and motorcycles, which is why I prefer M-F rides when I can take a day off from work.

I think when we talk about gravel riding, we're really talking about unpaved roads. On the west coast, gravel is usually laid down on sections that get worn out quickly or are very muddy. Most of the "gravel" riding I do is on a combination of dirt and gravel.

Is this gravel?

I think we'd all agree that this is gravel, and wider tires may have kept me upright:

Dirt roads on 700 x 32s

Old 10-20-20, 05:46 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
I stuffed 38mm tires in there

Old 10-20-20, 05:47 PM
BlueDevil63 
my name is Jim

Bikes: too many or not enough

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 93 Posts
This one uses almost all vintage components too.

70 Pogliaghi ItalCorse, 72 De Rosa, 72 Masi Gran Criterium, 75 Masi Gran Criterium, 77 Melton, 79 Bianchi Super Leggera, 79 Gios Super Record, 81 Picchio Special, 82 Guerciotti Super Record, 82 Colnago Profil CX, 83 Colnago Superissimo, 84 Fuso

Likes For BlueDevil63:
Old 10-20-20, 06:08 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Seeing those rocks, I suddenly understand why everyone and their dog on this board, is always saying "Wider is better!" "Go with no smaller than a 40 mm tires", etc.

We don't have that kind of gravel in my area. It's more just "unpaved roads". Of which there are quite a few. 28's are usually fine on them.
Old 10-20-20, 07:16 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

For those thinking that there's not much gravel riding in California, here's a list.

If you're looking for gravel in the PNW and can't find any...
Old 10-20-20, 07:33 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Lemond1985

Seeing those rocks, I suddenly understand why everyone and their dog on this board, is always saying "Wider is better!" "Go with no smaller than a 40 mm tires", etc.

We don't have that kind of gravel in my area. It's more just "unpaved roads". Of which there are quite a few. 28's are usually fine on them.
Yeah, gravel is local.

I've ridden that particular route several times, and it varies year to year. In this picture I'm riding next to a reservoir, the local water authorities dumped some fresh gravel in this section. After my front end slid out (wasn't going very fast, so twas only a flesh wound) I decided to build a bike with wider tires. My North Trask was born in my mind that day.

To prove yoru point, here's a pic from our good buddy @Drillium Dude on the Ironhorse Trail heading east from North Bend, Washington. He's riding 25mm sewups, picture taken with no hands while riding

Eastern Washington, out in the Palouse ( ride graciously organized by @scozim) we rode some actual gravel. I'm on 33 1/3"s, I think we had as narrow as 28's on this stuff, rideable just fine if you were a bit careful. That's @rccardr up front, as usual - Doc, you riding 28's that day?

Picture courtesy of @Drillium Dude

Last edited by gugie; 10-20-20 at 07:55 PM.
Old 10-20-20, 08:10 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
If you're looking for gravel in the PNW and can't find any...
It's because it's in your knee?
Old 10-20-20, 08:31 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,402 Times in 1,203 Posts
Yes,those were ContiGP4000 SII’s size 28.Really too narrow for the loose gravel we had that day, 38 or 44 X 650 would have been more appropriate.

#righttoolforthejob
Old 10-20-20, 11:21 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
I don't have much gravel/trail around metro NYC/NJ without driving, but I have some converted rail trails and hiking trails nearby that kinda link up. I can do a 50mi-ish door-door loop, with maybe 20mi+ trail/gravel. It's northeastern stuff, so some packed dirt, some actual gravel, and frequent embedded, half-buried mid-sized rocks, some rounded, some sharp. Thankfully not a lot of roots, that's extra fun on the ATB trails. The rail trail part is your usual max 2-3% grade, the hiking trail part has some significant short/steep climbs. So to do the full loop I need low gears, and there are a number of sections where I really have to kinda watch my line.

I've ridden it on a whole range of bikes, from c&v to modern, from 28x700c tires to 48x650b, road/touring/'cross frames. 28s are doable, but not particularly fun. 32s are better, but I've pinch-flatted those on rocks. 35-38mm is a lot better. But the 48x650b setup lets me fly over the rough stuff, especially on descents.

I only have one bike now that will fit 48x650b, and it's a modern 'cross/gravel steel frame with oversized tubing, a massive tapered head tube and fat carbon fork blades. And disc brakes. I had a couple of c&v-inspired rando frames that would fit that rubber, but they were both low-trail, and I found I don't get along with low trail. So I never took them out on the trail.

I don't know the contribution ratio of wheels:frame for that flying sensation, but I suspect it's heavily weighted towards the wheels. But when you've got that much pneumatic cushion in the tires, I wonder if the additional flex of skinnier tubes, especially at the front end, makes it that much cushier, or scrubs off a little bit of the handling precision and tossability.

This '95ish Kelly Knobby will fit 38x700c:

'06 Zanconato is a lugged steel proto-groad bike, fits 38x700c, has an 80mm bb drop:

'72 Hetchins is comfy with 35x700c, can do 38s but it gets very tight under the fork crown:

'74 Harry Quinn fits 38s, is waiting on a vintage build if I ever stop typing....

But none of these do quite what this '16 Wraith Paycheck does with those fat tires:

If I wanted to try it with a c&v frame, I'm guessing I'd have to look at 700c hybrids or ATBs, and likely have to move the canti bz-ons, maybe either way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.