Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bad Tubes

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-21, 07:00 PM
Seu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bad Tubes

I just tossed some Teravail tubes (27.5 x 1.5-1.95) in the trash. I installed one in a Panaracer 650b x 42 tire (53 psi) but within hours the tube split on a seam and left me flat. It was not ridden, it just went flat in the garage. Repaired the tube and in a few hours it went flat with the same seam splitting. I tossed that tube and a new in the box Teravail tube, into the trash. These were bought in May 2021.

I don't think I can trust the off brands. These were made in Taiwan which seemed a better bet than the Chinese ones.

Have others experienced this problem with off brand or name brand tubes? I can't remember this happening before no matter where they are manufactured.
Old 07-23-21, 07:39 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
We sell and install many hundreds of tubes each year and sell more. During this last 18 months the pandemic has meant that we, like much of the LBS segment of the bike industry, has had to try to source parts where they can. For us and tubes this means "brands" that we would normally avoid. Given that we are pleased that we haven't seen a greater % of bad tubes then we usually do (a few a year out of several thousand is typical). It's very possibly that you got a few bad ones. But other reasons are also possible that you suffered flats in a short time. Too bad we'll never be able to really know what was the cause. Andy
Old 07-23-21, 07:45 PM
Nessism
Banned.

Bikes: Homebuilt steel

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 2193 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 337 Posts
Two threads on the same topic but in different forums ain't cool. Why did you do that?
Old 07-23-21, 07:59 PM
Seu

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sorry. I posted to the wrong forum at first. I looked but could not figure out how to edit the forum.
Old 07-23-21, 10:08 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Teravail is Quality Bike Products house brand for tubes & tires. Quality stands behind their products but are sticklers for following their procedures. I would contact them and see if they will replace them.
Old 07-23-21, 10:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
I haven't really had issues with Q-tubes (now Teravail) would love to have seen the split seams that is a rare occurrence and especially on multiple tubes. Luckily QBP does support their stuff so you might check in with them and see what they say as RGMN mentioned.

I am pretty sure that the Q-Tubes were at one point Kenda but these days I generally have been using Continental or Specialized as I happen to have a small back stock of them.
Old 07-24-21, 01:44 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
When I had a rash of issues with tubes, I eventually found out it was my faulty installation of them. But not till later after I'd changed brands several times.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 07-24-21, 02:22 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,058 Times in 742 Posts
I've used quite a few of the Q Tubes (now Teravail?) and never had any bad ones so could just be bad luck. I noticed on their website they changed the Q logo. Maybe didn't want to be associated with Q-Anon? Must be some sort of worldwide tube conspiracy.
Old 07-24-21, 02:31 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 270 Posts
Continental and Schwalbe tubes are what I use.
Old 07-24-21, 03:08 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
What I posted in the original thread, and still relevant:

If you're riding 650b wheels, you almost certainly know what you're doing, but any mention of a "split seam" in a recently installed tube supposedly being responsible for failure of the tube raises a warning flag---especially with an oversized tube such as you were using. It's extremely easy to trap part of an oversized tube between the tire bead and the rim, leading to an eventual explosion, immediate or delayed.

After you install your next tube, inflate it to just a few pounds of pressure and then check around both sides of the rim. If and when you find a section where the tube is visible, pinched under the tire bead, work the tube back into the tire such that it is no longer visible. Once you're sure that the tube is entirely within the tire and not pinched under the bead at any point, inflate cautiously, 10 pounds at a time, checking after every round of inflation that the witness line above the tire bead is visible all the way around the wheel, without any high spots or low spots.

tl;dr: chances are that the tubes aren't defective; you might just need to be more careful installing them.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-26-21, 08:40 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
Just as a general comment on tube quality...

This year I have repaired a number of wheels that had blowouts of tubes. Not just cheapies either, even Continental! The new Tervail branding has yet to have a good record but the previous Q tubes and now Tervail have not been problematic. They are made by Kenda which is OK, but the Chinese Kendas seem to be trouble while the Taiwan Kendas arent.

They all still leak down way too much over time. I fond most are 10 psi/week.

-SP
Likes For speedy25: