Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

E-Bikes on Greenways?

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

E-Bikes on Greenways?

Old 07-22-21, 05:35 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So you're good with a Harley?
A big time YES,seeing there are Harley bicycles,
Old 07-23-21, 12:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Bmach
A big time YES,seeing there are Harley bicycles,

Fine, so you are fine with Harley Davidson Motorcycles on the MUPs, right?
Old 07-23-21, 03:35 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
In Hawaii last year they changed the law so low-powered ebikes (750 watt / pedals / 20 mph per federal law) are defined as "bicycles", so they can go anywhere a bike can go. Any ebike that doesn't meet that limit is a "moped" which can be banned from greenway by the counties. A new law was just enacted this year dealing with e-foot scooters. It gives the counties fairly broad powers to regulate their use (prior, City & County of Honolulu position was that they were classed as "mopeds").

scott s.
'
Old 07-25-21, 07:08 AM
PrettyCurious

Bikes: 2004 Trek 4300, 2021 GoExpress

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Yes and no. I got passed by a middle aged couple on e-bikes about 3 weeks ago on a local bike path in a state park where the use of e-bikes is illegal. Note that there's no signage anywhere that prohibits e-bikes, it's just a state law you might or might not know. What puzzled me was this was a couple that were younger than me, much skinnier and fitter looking (I'm a clyde) and I had to wonder why spend the huge amount of money on his and her e-bikes ?, why not get non motorized and get a better workout ?. I get why a person older, or who otherwise has physical issues (knees, hips) that makes pushing pedals difficult. Perhaps one of those two seemingly fit people on e-bikes had a physical issue, I couldn't tell. Thus I tend to give a pass. I do not give a pass to the a-holes riding obviously throttle e-bikes on the mt. bike dirt trails, those guys get the cops called on them, nor to the idiot on a Vespa doing 25-30 on the paved boardwalk at one of NYC's beaches. Cops need to stay on that and do not.
Do not judge peoples health conditions. Maybe they do not want a work out. I have a few health issues that are not apparent, but also none of your business. (not listed in my profile here) Many people think I am slim, and younger than I actually am. Anyway, it's none of your business what condition I am in, and whether or not I want a work out. and if there is no signage prohibiting my ebike, than I am going to ride it.
Old 07-25-21, 07:45 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
Do not judge peoples health conditions. Maybe they do not want a work out. I have a few health issues that are not apparent, but also none of your business. (not listed in my profile here) Many people think I am slim, and younger than I actually am. Anyway, it's none of your business what condition I am in, and whether or not I want a work out. and if there is no signage prohibiting my ebike, than I am going to ride it.

Yes, as I stated "Perhaps one of those two seemingly fit people on e-bikes had a physical issue, I couldn't tell. ". That much I get and have zero issues with. I also have zero issues with whatever version is pedal activated and am OK with this version on mt. bike trails as well. The versions with throttles are obviously illegal and a problem due to the power they provide and the trail damage I see them causing.
Old 07-25-21, 08:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Originally Posted by tn_roadie
I asked this question on the e-bike forum and thought I would put it over here since advocates may have a different view point.

How does your city handle e-bikes on greenways? My local park commission thinks they have banned them but I've been riding for 5 years and have never been stopped. Tennessee passed the People for Bikes law like 25 other states and it says they're legal unless the city passes an ordinance banning them. Our city council has never done that. Our bike share program is about to drop 300 e-bikes and it will be interesting to see the reaction. The main complaint is speeding on greenways but there are many roadies who go a lot faster than an e-bike.

I was just wondering how many local governments have implemented a ban. I hope it's not many.
Time to give up on banning e-bikes. They are here and they have won. They get more people out of the house and off the sofa.

Last edited by rydabent; 08-09-21 at 03:37 PM.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 07-28-21, 08:34 AM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by PrettyCurious
Do not judge peoples health conditions.
The Handicapped Parking people figured that one out a long time ago.
Similar enforcement isn't rocket science, but like rockets, you have to launch it to get any use out of it.
Old 07-29-21, 07:54 AM
Inisfallen

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts

Here's the sign on Manhattan's west side greenway.

It is, of course, completely ignored.

New York City is in kind of a weird state right now. For all practical purposes, we're un-policed. The police department is in full retreat, and officers are rarely seen. You'll see a few in front of the courthouses and places like that, and they're fairly visible in the tourist parts of Times Square, but that's it. You especially won't see them on the subway, and the state of the subways is a whole 'nother story, but anyway, reasons for the NYPD's non-involvement in city life are probably outside the scope of this thread. But it is a fact that the NYPD has decided that it will assume a different role in the city than in the past.

Now, while the police department deciding traffic enforcement is something they don't do anymore may sound like paradise for cyclists, especially given the department's hostility towards cyclists in the past, but it's becoming a real problem for us.

The ebikes and scooters have made the bike paths of the city (including the greenways) completely unsafe. Putting aside the pedal-assist ebikes (even though those too are prohibited on the greenways), they're out of control. The delivery riders are everywhere, and they have a complete disregard for all rules, including rules about which way to travel on the bike paths. I get that for these guys, hustling and scratching to get by (and probably getting screwed by DoorDash and Uber Eats and all the rest), time is very much money, but they're riding fast bikes (those bikes are essentially electric mopeds), often the wrong way. And in the dark. New York City is apparently a city of people who are incapable of feeding themselves, so everyone orders takeout, at all hours. And for some reason, the delivery riders don't like lights. Maybe they think they need to conserve their batteries as much as possible, so they turn off the lights. Maybe the lights burned out a while ago, and they haven't had time to replace the bulbs. Who knows. But an ebike coming at me, fast, in the dark, with no lights, is a startling experience, and it happens to me approximately a dozen times every night on my way home from work (I work until 11:00 pm, so I'm always riding home in the dark).

And then the electric scooters (like the Revel or Lime scooters -- essentially Vespas with electric motors) see the ebikes, and decide they can use the bike paths, too. Why ride in traffic if you don't have to?

And then the riders of internal combustion engine scooters (actual Vespas and the like, some capable of highway-legal speeds) decide that if the electric scooters can use the bike paths, they can too.

And a lot of the riders of vehicles that require registration and insurance don't bother with that anymore, since the police clearly don't care. And so a 250cc Vespa will blow by me on, say, the Williamsburg Bridge bike path with no license plates, honking his horn the whole way, as if the bicyclists are the ones doing something wrong by being in his way. Parenthetically, the Williamsburg Bridge seems to be the absolute worst these days, with actual motorcycles feeling free to use the bike path. The only thing saving us from cars using it is that they can't fit through the posts restricting entrance, fortunately.

It's a problem. And, as I said above, in the end there's going to be a reaction. Almost certainly an over-reaction. And we've just elected (well, not quite, but in NYC, for all practical purposes, the Democratic primary might as well be the general election) an ex-cop as mayor who made law-and-order issues the centerpiece of his campaign. And I fear crackdowns. There will be bad behavior on the part of the NYPD. Bicyclists will be targeted just as much as ebike riders.

It's not a good situation right now.
Old 07-29-21, 07:57 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Fine, so you are fine with Harley Davidson Motorcycles on the MUPs, right?
I'm fine with Harley-Davidsons on the bike paths. They can't go fast enough to be a problem.
Likes For Inisfallen:
Old 07-29-21, 08:00 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by bikebikebike
It ain't geris, heart patients and the legless vets , causing the problem.
It's jerk narcissists with little self control and mommy's credit card, being careless callous bullies on streets and trails.
ebikes are a tool, but need enforceable accountability..
It's a team sport, some people cant play on the varsity, team and need to be sent home
until they learn to play with others, for safety sake.

It's not just jerks with mommy's credit card. For some reason, electric scooters (the standup kind) have become a fashion among the finance bros. And they buy big ones, with serious motors. Those things can go really fast.
Old 07-29-21, 08:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
I'm fine with Harley-Davidsons on the bike paths. They can't go fast enough to be a problem.

And that is the proper way to do snark.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-07-21, 03:14 PM
Inisfallen

Update --

The NYPD still isn't getting involved in policing this issue at all:

https://nypost.com/2021/08/05/scoote...ss-conference/
Old 08-08-21, 06:10 AM
work4bike

Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
I can't say I blame the NYPD for staying low.
Old 08-08-21, 08:53 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by work4bike
I can't say I blame the NYPD for staying low.
And maybe you've got good reason for that, but we here in NYC are living in a city that's essentially unpoliced. There is no traffic enforcement, including enforcement of regulations restricting bike paths to bicycles.

There is no police presence on public transit. The subways are not policed. They're full of aggressive panhandlers who all to often cross the line between aggressive panhandling and obtaining money by threat. There is zero enforcement of the mask requirement (and whatever you think of the mask policy, it is a rule, and should be enforced).

Gun crime has gone through the roof. Stores are openly looted, in broad daylight, by grab-and-run groups.

It's not good.

But back to cycling issues -- we're losing our bike paths. And that is not good for anyone. It's not good for cyclists, it's not good for the city, and it's not good for me.
Old 08-08-21, 09:47 AM
work4bike

Quoted: 3742 Post(s)
Liked 1,015 Times in 765 Posts
And maybe you've got good reason for that, but we here in NYC are living in a city that's essentially unpoliced. There is no traffic enforcement, including enforcement of regulations restricting bike paths to bicycles.

There is no police presence on public transit. The subways are not policed. They're full of aggressive panhandlers who all to often cross the line between aggressive panhandling and obtaining money by threat. There is zero enforcement of the mask requirement (and whatever you think of the mask policy, it is a rule, and should be enforced).

Gun crime has gone through the roof. Stores are openly looted, in broad daylight, by grab-and-run groups.

It's not good.

But back to cycling issues -- we're losing our bike paths. And that is not good for anyone. It's not good for cyclists, it's not good for the city, and it's not good for me.
I am an outsider looking in, we don't have those problems down here and I'm glad we don't. However, I think the problem is with your elected officials (not just in NYC, but other large cities in the US), not the cops, they cops are just reacting to all this craziness they've had to deal with in the last year.

I do believe there is a need for some change in the police force and the George Floyd incident (and others) showed that need. However, so many politicians took it way too far. If I were a cop, I'd find another line of work. But like I said, I'm just an outsider looking in.

Old 08-08-21, 10:33 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
I am an outsider looking in,...
I do believe there is a need for some change in the police force and the George Floyd incident (and others) showed that need. However, so many politicians took it way too far. If I were a cop, I'd find another line of work. But like I said, I'm just an outsider looking in..
I too am an outsider looking in. I would suggest that there weren't really that many politicians taking things too far on this issue, but rather a relative few who are very savvy in using prominent social media outlets, in combination with very good connections with influential journalists, Internet bloggers and newscasters from mainstream media to express their personal viewpoints about law enforcement.

They have been eminently quotable on the subject, especially when quoted (and misquoted/misinterpreted) by their political opponents and people with diametrically opposing views.
Old 08-08-21, 10:35 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
I am an outsider looking in,...
I do believe there is a need for some change in the police force and the George Floyd incident (and others) showed that need. However, so many politicians took it way too far. If I were a cop, I'd find another line of work. But like I said, I'm just an outsider looking in..
I too am an outsider looking in. I would suggest that there weren't really that many politicians taking things too far on this issue, but rather a relative few who are very savvy in using prominent social media outlets in combination, with very good connections with influential journalists, Internet bloggers and newscasters from mainstream media to express their personal viewpoints about law enforcement which may, or may not represent the viewpoints of the majority of their own constituents.

They have been eminently quotable on the subject, especially when quoted (and misquoted/misinterpreted) by their political opponents and people with diametrically opposing views.
Old 08-09-21, 08:41 AM
Inisfallen

I am an outsider looking in, we don't have those problems down here and I'm glad we don't. However, I think the problem is with your elected officials (not just in NYC, but other large cities in the US), not the cops, they cops are just reacting to all this craziness they've had to deal with in the last year.
I'm not taking a political position here (I won't say to which party I belong, or for whom I voted), but surely we can all agree that police departments should not be policy-makers, and that those kinds of decisions are, or should be, the role of the legislature and the executive, not law enforcement agencies?

I'm not a fan of our mayor, Bill de Blasio, and I, like many New Yorkers of all political affiliations, won't be sorry to see the back of him. But nobody should tolerate a police department (of any city, anywhere in the United States) openly deciding that they reject the authority of elected officials, or openly refusing to enforce certain laws with which they disagree.

The New York City Police Department isn't responsible for the actions of a Minneapolis officer. They are responsible for the safety of the people of New York. They're angry about the nationwide display of anger over the death of George Floyd? Too bad. There's no justification for them essentially having a hissy fit and taking a year off.

It's wrong. And the effects of their malingering are really starting to hurt the city. And perhaps this is a consequence of the fact that most of the NYPD do not live in New York City (and a significant number of them, perhaps a majority, have never in their lives lived in NYC) -- they have no stake in the health of the city, as long as it's financially sound enough to cover their paychecks.
Old 08-09-21, 09:19 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
It's a problem. And, as I said above, in the end there's going to be a reaction. Almost certainly an over-reaction. …. And I fear crackdowns. There will be bad behavior on the part of the NYPD. Bicyclists will be targeted just as much as ebike riders…..
In my area the over-reaction has already occurred. On a popular suburban MUP there is now a 10 mph speed limit.

The knuckleheads are the root of the problem.

How can knuckleheads be managed?
Old 08-09-21, 10:05 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Again quit worrying about e-bikes, they have won. I see many every day on the local bike paths. I have yet to be hurt by one.
Old 08-09-21, 10:18 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by flangehead
In my area the over-reaction has already occurred. On a popular suburban MUP there is now a 10 mph speed limit.

The knuckleheads are the root of the problem.

How can knuckleheads be managed?
Knuckleheads are the reason we have to have laws, and police.
Old 08-09-21, 10:44 AM
Inisfallen

Originally Posted by rydabent
Again quit worrying about e-bikes, they have won. I see many every day on the local bike paths. I have yet to be hurt by one.
Glad to hear that's true where you live. It's not true here.

https://abc7ny.com/7-on-your-side-in...ruck/10771051/

https://nypost.com/2021/06/12/e-bike...-climb-in-nyc/

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/06...nd-safety-act/
Old 08-20-21, 05:04 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
It's not just jerks with mommy's credit card. For some reason, electric scooters (the standup kind) have become a fashion among the finance bros. And they buy big ones, with serious motors. Those things can go really fast.
Eh. Mommy's retirement fund. Same deal.

They are too slow and unstable for the street and too fast for sidewalks.
Other than Darwinian forces, they end up in hospitals on insurance we all pay for

Originally Posted by rydabent
The plural of anecdote is not data.
Likes For bikebikebike:
Old 08-28-21, 01:55 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 201 Times in 127 Posts
E-bikes need two things:
1) A bell or other device to let others know you're passing silently. Most of us don't expect to be passed by another "bike" so quickly in the bike lane. Or how about a friendly "on your left?"
2) Special front lights. I'm expecting an epidemic of frontal collisions between e-bikes and drivers. Up until now, drivers expect cyclists on flat roads or uphills to be approaching at a relatively low speed. Well, e-bikes change this and I'd expect a lot of left turns into e-bikes. Perhaps yellow flashing lights to tell drivers "e-bike approaching!"

Other than that, this is a new technology and the kinks are WAY far away from being worked out. I support them, but at the same time don't look forward to the time where I'm regularly getting buzzed by yahoos on full suspension mountain bikes on the climbs. Makes it too easy for the yahoos to screw it up. Plus, our parks are parks, not motorcycle recreation areas! (And that's what e-mountain bikes have the potential to become.)
Likes For LV2TNDM:
Old 09-05-22, 10:43 AM
Inisfallen

Updating this, more than a year after my last post.

On Friday, I was on my usually commute to work (Brooklyn to midtown west Manhattan, via the Manhattan Bridge).

The usual number of electric bikes (not the pedal-assist bikes, the electric bikes that are for all practical purposes mopeds) and scooters (including internal combustion engine scooters) blew by me as I was crossing the bridge.

For the first time in literally years, there were police officers at the Manhattan end of the bridge, and they were stopping the ICE scooter riders and requiring them to produce license and registration. Which, of course, none of them can do, because they haven't registered (and thus haven't insured) their vehicles.

And so the cops were impounding the scooters.

It's about f*****g time.
Likes For Inisfallen:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.