Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which type of long ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which type of long ride?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-15, 04:54 AM
hazben1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which type of long ride?

I am training for a century and am wondering which type of long ride will benefit me most.
A)60-70 miles minimizing how much nutrition I take in and even cutting back on the hydration a little.
With A ride I find the last hour or so it becomes somewhat of a struggle and my average speed for the entire ride is about 1 mph less. I am not bonking just tough going.
B)60-70 miles taking in plenty of nutrition and a good amount of hydration
With B ride I find myself being able to crank it up a notch the last hour and finish almost as strong as when I started.

I can fairly easily complete 60-70 miles and my eventual goal is to do a solo 5hr nonstop century. I am planning on doing 2 long rides a week should I try to do one of each?
Old 04-09-15, 05:00 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Eat and drink as much as you want on the ride. Starving yourself doesn't work, as you have noted.

Professionals eat ALL THE TIME while racing and their DS is reminding them on the radio to eat. I remember Contador bonking on a stage of Paris-Nice, it cost him the race. Armstrong bonked during the TdF and lost time on a stage. Lemond had to wait for Hinault to recover from not eating; Lemond could've won the TdF that year if he had kept going.

So EAT!
Old 04-09-15, 05:12 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Here's an idea, go out and mow your lawn, all 5 acres of it , on your sit down mower but don't put any gas in the tank. See how far you get.
Old 04-09-15, 05:51 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by surgeonstone
Here's an idea, go out and mow your lawn, all 5 acres of it , on your sit down mower but don't put any gas in the tank. See how far you get.
Be nice to the short bus kids.
Old 04-09-15, 06:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by hazben1
I am training for a century and am wondering which type of long ride will benefit me most.
A)60-70 miles minimizing how much nutrition I take in and even cutting back on the hydration a little.
With A ride I find the last hour or so it becomes somewhat of a struggle and my average speed for the entire ride is about 1 mph less. I am not bonking just tough going.
With B ride I find myself being able to crank it up a notch the last hour and finish almost as strong as when I started.

I can fairly easily complete 60-70 miles and my eventual goal is to do a solo 5hr nonstop century. I am planning on doing 2 long rides a week should I try to do one of each?
Is this a serious question?

Why on earth would you do A)???

Eat ... drink ... have energy!
Old 04-09-15, 06:31 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts

I can fairly easily complete 60-70 miles
Then you can ride a century. Don't overthink it, just do it. It's not a superhuman feat or anything.
Old 04-09-15, 06:37 AM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Is this a serious question?

Why on earth would you do A)???

Eat ... drink ... have energy!
The reasons I have done this are;
1)get my body more conditioned to using fat as an energy source vs. carbs. Believe me I have plenty to burn (235lbs)
2)condition myself to keep going when my body and mind wants to slow down or quit.
Old 04-09-15, 06:37 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
The automotive analogy of A: I'm training for the Indy 500 so I'll only fill my gas tank, oil tank, and radiator half full and drive only 250 miles. That should work.

On century rides and longer, I think part of the training is getting into the habit of consuming the required amount of carbs and fluids. If you don't get enough of each, the last 20 miles can be harder than the first 80.
Old 04-09-15, 06:40 AM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lazyass
Then you can ride a century. Don't overthink it, just do it. It's not a superhuman feat or anything.
Yeah, I have done a century before and I am pretty sure I could go out the door this morning and knock one out. But I am looking to improve my time and eventually do a 5 hr non-stop solo.
Old 04-09-15, 06:54 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Yeah, I have done a century before and I am pretty sure I could go out the door this morning and knock one out. But I am looking to improve my time and eventually do a 5 hr non-stop solo.
My daughter did a sub-4 hour non-stop century once at the Hotter n Hell in Wichital Falls Tx. However it was anything but solo. There were about 50 very strong riders in that pack. She put two extra water bottles in her jersey pockets and filled the third pocket up with gel packs and other such energy foods. All 4 water bottles were filled with sports drinks.

I've done 2 sub-5 hours centuries but neither one was non-stop nor solo. One was with a great tail wind for 75 miles at RAGBRAI. I stopped for a nature break and fill water bottles twice. The other was when I was at my best fitness level with 4 other guys in perfect weather on great roads. We made short stops a few times.

Have you considered having someone handing you a mussete bag filled with high carb food and water bottles during the ride?
Old 04-09-15, 07:17 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
i used to ride A. I ate nothing on 60 mile rides twice a week.

i managed to do an 8 hour century.

so good luck doing yout 5 hour!

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 04-09-15, 07:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18412 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
1)get my body more conditioned to using fat as an energy source vs. carbs. Believe me I have plenty to burn (235lbs)
2)condition myself to keep going when my body and mind wants to slow down or quit.
1. Burning fat is harder.
2. Depriving yourself of proper energy and water will make your body want to slow down or quit faster and harder, making it more difficult to keep going.

I had the same doubt as Machka when I read your OP.
Old 04-09-15, 07:58 AM
kc0bbq

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2.0, 2016 Trek Emonda ALR 6, 2015 Propel Advanced SL 2, 2000 K2 Zed SE

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you can force this like that. Genetics aside, efficiency comes from base fitness and being able to put out more power while staying at a lower heart rate.
Old 04-09-15, 08:15 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts

There are a bunch of unanswered questions here. A general rule: NEVER cut back on hydration. Your body has fat stores it can access for energy. It doesn't have water stores it can access for water. In training, it can be helpful to cut back on nutrition to teach your body to prefer fat at moderate levels of exertion. I can do 70-80 mile rides at 18+ mph on water or water with electrolytes (no calories) and could probably do 100, but it took a while to get to that point. Note that I carry nutrition with me, I just don't use it unless I need to during training. Also note that for my last 100 mile race, I went through ~1000 calories on the bike, just to make sure I wouldn't run short.

You want to do two long rides a week. What will you do the other five days? This is pivotal.

What's the terrain like where you're riding? A hundred miles where I live is a lot different than a hundred miles in the Rockies, which in turn is a lot different than a hundred miles on the Great Plains with constant high winds.

What's your average speed on those 60-70 mile rides now? If it's in the 16-18 mph range now, nutrition isn't the limiter. If it's in the 19-20 mph range, you've got this, just need to fine tune.

Based on what you've written, I'd use your "B" ride as the model, and cut back slightly on the nutrition until you notice that it starts to affect your speed...and leave it there. Your speed will start to pick back up as your body learns to burn more fat at that speed. This takes a while, and how well it works varies among individuals. You may be able to repeat this process several times until you get down to little or no food on the ride. Then on your goal ride, take plenty of nutrition to ensure you've got enough. You don't have to use it, it's there "just in case".

Also note that a five hour solo century will usually consume more energy than a five hour road race, since you won't be able to draft. Your goal isn't an easy one.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-09-15, 10:42 AM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revchuck
There are a bunch of unanswered questions here. A general rule: NEVER cut back on hydration. Your body has fat stores it can access for energy. It doesn't have water stores it can access for water. In training, it can be helpful to cut back on nutrition to teach your body to prefer fat at moderate levels of exertion. I can do 70-80 mile rides at 18+ mph on water or water with electrolytes (no calories) and could probably do 100, but it took a while to get to that point. Note that I carry nutrition with me, I just don't use it unless I need to during training. Also note that for my last 100 mile race, I went through ~1000 calories on the bike, just to make sure I wouldn't run short.

You want to do two long rides a week. What will you do the other five days? This is pivotal.

What's the terrain like where you're riding? A hundred miles where I live is a lot different than a hundred miles in the Rockies, which in turn is a lot different than a hundred miles on the Great Plains with constant high winds.

What's your average speed on those 60-70 mile rides now? If it's in the 16-18 mph range now, nutrition isn't the limiter. If it's in the 19-20 mph range, you've got this, just need to fine tune.

Based on what you've written, I'd use your "B" ride as the model, and cut back slightly on the nutrition until you notice that it starts to affect your speed...and leave it there. Your speed will start to pick back up as your body learns to burn more fat at that speed. This takes a while, and how well it works varies among individuals. You may be able to repeat this process several times until you get down to little or no food on the ride. Then on your goal ride, take plenty of nutrition to ensure you've got enough. You don't have to use it, it's there "just in case".

Also note that a five hour solo century will usually consume more energy than a five hour road race, since you won't be able to draft. Your goal isn't an easy one.
I am not certain how I will structure my other rides (open to suggestions). This week I will run 3 days then do a 40,50,60 and70. Typically I do one day on rollers where I go hard (80% HRM) for an hour.

It will most likely be a flat century. I can't climb at all do to my weight.

On Mondays' 60 miler I averaged 18.5mph ate 3/4 of a Cliff bar and had 3/4 bottle of electrolyte mix. I finished the ride feeling strong.

I have kind of been doing what you are suggesting. Just wondered is there a way to get more bang from my training.
Old 04-09-15, 10:46 AM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
i used to ride A. I ate nothing on 60 mile rides twice a week.

i managed to do an 8 hour century.

so good luck doing yout 5 hour!
I did a 5hr 45min century a year ago no stopping and took it fairly easy since I was not sure what to expect the last 20 miles. I think I am in better cycling shape now than I was a year ago.
Old 04-09-15, 10:46 AM
Steamer
Zircon Encrusted Tweezers

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 83 Posts
This might help.

Is it better to do aerobic exercise fasted? - | Examine.com FAQ | Examine.com
Old 04-09-15, 10:54 AM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have thought about having somebody give me water/nutrition at mile sixty and that may be what I do. I can pretty much ride 60 miles without stopping. In really hot summer I use a camel-back. Which I hate wearing but as much as I sweat it keeps me from having to stop to get more water. It may be before I try to do a solo 5hr century I may need to knock out a 5hr group ride first.
Old 04-09-15, 11:38 AM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
I am not certain how I will structure my other rides (open to suggestions). This week I will run 3 days then do a 40,50,60 and70. Typically I do one day on rollers where I go hard (80% HRM) for an hour.

It will most likely be a flat century. I can't climb at all do to my weight.

On Mondays' 60 miler I averaged 18.5mph ate 3/4 of a Cliff bar and had 3/4 bottle of electrolyte mix. I finished the ride feeling strong.

I have kind of been doing what you are suggesting. Just wondered is there a way to get more bang from my training.
For the first bolded section - I don't see any recovery time in there. I'd put at least one, probably two easy days in there, either as a day off or a really easy hour-long ride. My goal on recovery rides is to keep both HR and watts around 100. For the second bolded section, you probably wouldn't have noticed missing that Clif bar. For that distance, I would've gone through about three bottles. Hydration needs vary widely, but IMO you were way under-hydrated.
I did a 5hr 45min century a year ago no stopping and took it fairly easy since I was not sure what to expect the last 20 miles. I think I am in better cycling shape now than I was a year ago.
Sounds like the five hour thing is totally feasible.
I have thought about having somebody give me water/nutrition at mile sixty and that may be what I do. I can pretty much ride 60 miles without stopping. In really hot summer I use a camel-back. Which I hate wearing but as much as I sweat it keeps me from having to stop to get more water. It may be before I try to do a solo 5hr century I may need to knock out a 5hr group ride first.
That's definitely what I'd do, if possible. Start with three bottles (two in the cages, one in a jersey pocket) and reload about halfway through. It's way better to have too much water than not enough. BTDT.

Demain, on roule!
Old 04-09-15, 12:08 PM
milkbaby
blah blah blah

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very cool link with many exercise science articles cited!

Chris Carmichael just wrote an article about "Train Low" in the recent Road Bike Action. He discussed training on low carbohydrate stores. The two studies he cited were that witholding carbs during endurance training (long steady training) did not show a marked improvement over taking carbs. He did say there is evidence that starting your ride in a fasted state (low carb stores) does give some benefit over starting in a fed state, which seems to be what the research cited in the Examine.com link above says as well. Carmichael recommended doing your long steady rides in a fasted state, basically skip breakfast, but take your regular intake of nutrition during the ride. He noted that your perceived exertion will increase quicker when you do this in a fasted state and gave the example that how you feel in the last hour of a five hour ride begun in a fed state might be what you end up feeling like in the last hour of a three hour ride begun in a fasted state.

I talked with a number of exercise scientists, and only one has ever told me there was any benefit to avoiding hydration during training. So it seems the vast majority of studies show there is no benefit to limiting your fluid intake during training. The only time I do it is due to convenience factors, i.e. not wanting to take the time to stop to get more fluids.
Old 04-09-15, 12:19 PM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way I listed the mileage is probably misleading. I rode 40 Sat, ran 6 Sun, rode 60 Mon, ran 6 Tues, rode 50 Wed, ran 6 Thurs, plan on 70 in the morning when I get off work. I agree I was probably under hydrated, I just didn't want to have to unclip to pee. Surprising thing to me is as far as making me a stronger rider sometimes I think the tough 1 hr roller ride benefits me more than a 40 miler. I suspect I could probably do close to a 5 hr group ride right now. My goal of a 5 hr solo is probably 1-1.5 years away.

Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-09-15, 12:25 PM
curlyque
Banned.

Bikes: 1989 Greg LeMond Le Vanquer, 2005 LeMond Zurich, 2010 LHT, Marlboro Fuji Folder

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
1. Burning fat is harder.
OP.
No it isn't :-)
Old 04-09-15, 01:19 PM
snidely
Cycliste sérieux

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I see no benefit to starving yourself. You need fuel to ride. I can't imagine any "gains" you would see by starvation during training.

Not only that, but afterward your body will be screaming for nutrition. I know I would tend to gorge in this situation. Defeating the goal of weight loss.

Is there any study that you know of to support a benefit of not fueling during extended training? Real question.
Old 04-09-15, 02:19 PM
hazben1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snidely
I see no benefit to starving yourself. You need fuel to ride. I can't imagine any "gains" you would see by starvation during training.

Not only that, but afterward your body will be screaming for nutrition. I know I would tend to gorge in this situation. Defeating the goal of weight loss.

"Is there any study that you know of to support a benefit of not fueling during extended training?" Real question.
I read a book by Friel? on training for triathlons and if I remember correctly there was a chapter in there about cutting back on calories during the ride and reducing intensity. Essentially he felt it helped train the body to burn fat. Hopefully somebody here who has read the book and remembers it better can give a more intelligent answer.