Go Back  Bike Forums > News & Suggestions > Forum Suggestions & User Assistance
Reload this Page >

Time to revisit religious signatures?

Search
Notices
Forum Suggestions & User Assistance Have a suggestion for the forums? Need help with the Forums? Post here.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-17, 06:52 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3672 Post(s)
Liked 5,427 Times in 2,757 Posts

Given the current climate, it seems we should all do what we can to focus on what unites us (here on BF it's cycling) and avoid unnecessary divisiveness and provocation. For good reason we have a P&R sub forum and political signatures are prohibited. And yet, religious signatures are still permitted. Maybe it's time to be consistent and leave all P&R in P&R.
Old 08-19-17, 06:58 AM
Caymandiver1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am offended that you might be offended. See how that works?
Old 08-19-17, 07:13 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Exactly. That's why there is a special place for P&R. FWIW, this thread was really intended for the Administrators, I don't think we get a vote....

Last edited by shelbyfv; 08-19-17 at 07:18 AM.
Old 08-19-17, 07:22 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'm certain we don't get a vote but I do think we should leave people alone who wish to have a religious signature. It's pretty easy to ignore someone's sig line. In all sincerity, there must be more important things in your life to get worked up over than this.
Old 08-19-17, 07:34 AM
Caymandiver1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so you really believe that expressing an opinion of a religious nature that is not encouraging/condoning hatred but just a statement of belief should be censored?
Old 08-19-17, 07:48 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
I can't imagine a reason to get worked up over religious signatures here, any more than allowing people to wear things like crosses at work. A simple statement of personal religious belief is far less offensive than the idea that it should be prohibited.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-19-17, 09:43 AM
Tony P.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 493 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 162 Posts
I can't understand why allowing someone to express religious affiliation would be important, one way or the other. For me, I don't show that sort of thing but wouldn't care if others did.

Having said that, I certainly agree:
Given the current climate, it seems we should all do what we can to focus on what unites us
Old 08-19-17, 09:48 AM
king_boru
The Moose

Bikes: 2016 Giant Roam 2, 2004 Norco Torrent, 1969 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Is this another case of hurt feelings and my opinion needs be heard and requests met or I'll make a sign and protest?

Diversity is an amazing practice if one understands and applies it's values. Your request spits in the face of diversity. One should not care if another has a religious signature or not.

God bless.
Old 08-19-17, 12:27 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
If its not an issue here why make it one? I had a bible verse in mine for years, only one guy got upset and after I explained its use he shrugged his shoulders and let it go. Someone mentioned to him he could take the option to not see sigs, he took it and was happy a clam. Actually we had done the friend thing, no idea why it suddenly was upset. I have given my thanks for surviving 16 major surgeries in 10 years, and now I have something to fight against everyday, new signature. They come and go for some us, but if it ain't broke why start fixing it and making a problem where none existed. I respect that you can ask your question and that it be considered. Now you have my thoughts also.

There are some down right crude, suggestive sigs but why start a war over words, just skip it and move on. First World problem, when other things need tending to in our lives. And, I cannot see how forcing someone to delete their signature can unite anything, you probably just drove someone away by singling them out. Hopefully this won't gain any traction. But after everything that's happened in the last 18 months all bets are off.....

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-19-17 at 12:31 PM.
Old 08-19-17, 12:30 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Interesting that there is no cry of "censorship" when even peripherally political comments are moved to P&R. Is P&R really only for P? Does consistency have no value? Aside from rules, it's true that I don't understand why some folks think their religious preferences have any relevance to cycling.
Old 08-19-17, 02:53 PM
king_boru
The Moose

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Aside from rules, it's true that I don't understand why some folks think their religious preferences have any relevance to cycling.
Then perhaps you should educate yourself on what you don't understand. Perhaps starting a thread asking why and how religion benefits cyclists or empowers them would have been beneficial instead of having their beliefs questioned and scrutinized.
Old 08-19-17, 03:41 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

King, I have no interest in becoming "educated" as to your religious beliefs. I have no desire to question or scrutinize them. In fact, I would prefer to not read about them while enjoying our cycling hobby on the internet. However, if it does become a concern or interest, I'm sure I would be welcome to start a thread in P&R, as you suggest. Again, P&R= Politics and Religion. With the exception of signatures, I think the mods do a good job controlling this. I'm just wondering why the exception.
Old 08-19-17, 04:01 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
A simple statement of personal religious belief is far less offensive than the idea that it should be prohibited.
This. Says everything necessary in one brief sentence.
Old 08-19-17, 04:25 PM
king_boru
The Moose

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
King, I have no interest in becoming "educated" as to your religious beliefs.
I'm not religious. Point proven. So you would rather ban everybody else's beliefs for the benefit of yours. How very diversified of you.

Last edited by king_boru; 08-19-17 at 04:31 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 09:40 AM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
It's really hard to go through thousands of people's profiles every single day to look and see if they have a religious signature and then ask them to change it to stick to the rules. They can change their signature as they see fit and to try to monitor that every moment is a waste of volunteer time.

Oh and if you see one that is offensive to you, by all means, please report it. It will be looked at by the moderation team and considered, through research if need be.

A good example is mine. Some people believe that Buddhism is a religion when in fact it is not. It's a way of conducting life.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-20-17, 09:59 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
It's really hard to go through thousands of people's profiles every single day to look and see if they have a religious signature and then ask them to change it to stick to the rules. They can change their signature as they see fit and to try to monitor that every moment is a waste of volunteer time.
I don't care what people put in their signatures but the OP mentions political signatures are not allowed. I don't know if that's the case, but it seems if you don't allow "Make America Great Again" signatures you probably shouldn't allow religious ones.
Old 08-20-17, 10:14 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Given the current climate, it seems we should all do what we can to focus on what unites us (here on BF it's cycling) and avoid unnecessary divisiveness and provocation. For good reason we have a P&R sub forum and political signatures are prohibited. And yet, religious signatures are still permitted. Maybe it's time to be consistent and leave all P&R in P&R.
If someone wants to advertise their irrational belief in an imaginary deity, it serves a function by alerting the reader to the nature of their critical reasoning skills.
Old 08-20-17, 12:23 PM
Caymandiver1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
If someone wants to advertise their irrational belief in an imaginary deity, it serves a function by alerting the reader to the nature of their critical reasoning skills.
and there it is. took all of 17 posts to get the one totally predictable post
Old 08-20-17, 12:54 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Caymandiver1
and there it is. took all of 17 posts to get the one totally predictable post
The thing about metaphysical certitude is that you can never be pleasantly surprised.
Old 08-20-17, 03:25 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
if you see one that is offensive to you, by all means, please report it. It will be looked at by the moderation team and considered, through research if need be.
Fair enough if you are saying it's prohibited if religious. Quoting scripture seems a clear example!
Old 08-20-17, 05:15 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
I don't care what people put in their signatures but the OP mentions political signatures are not allowed. I don't know if that's the case, but it seems if you don't allow "Make America Great Again" signatures you probably shouldn't allow religious ones.
I agree.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 08-20-17, 10:43 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Given the current climate ...
Chilly, somewhat overcast, at least one day of wind each week? That current climate you're referring to is what we call "winter". Happens every year.

Or do you mean the ever-growing weirdness is one very, very strange country?

**Panic** **Panic** Take down the statues!! **Panic** **Panic**

Don't worry, you've got the "Weirdest Country on Earth" award ... you don't have to keep trying.

As for the signatures, if you don't want to see them, turn them off. Easy-peasy.

Last edited by Machka; 08-20-17 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-20-17, 11:05 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,578 Times in 1,429 Posts
I have to wonder if the real issue is religious signatures or the ban on political signatures.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 08-21-17, 03:53 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
I have to wonder if the real issue is religious signatures or the ban on political signatures.
Exactly my thoughts, might be time to re-evaluate some things.
Old 08-21-17, 05:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

NO NO, please don't go there with the political signatures. A forum for another hobby had no policy until last Fall. It quickly got out of hand, as you might imagine. Much nicer now that the policy is no P&R. Personally, I do have the signatures turned off. I prefer to evaluate folks here based on their cycling related contributions w/o the clutter of their OT opinions. Yes Machka, I know the rest of the world must be concerned with the weirdness going on in the most powerful and influential nation! Hopefully we will progress through it as a bump in the road.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.