Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Dogs

Old 08-06-22, 11:20 AM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
In North Las Vegas, I had People run out of their front door and try to chase me down. People are slower than Dogs….
Old 08-06-22, 11:48 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,424 Times in 2,825 Posts
Originally Posted by Bendopolo
In North Las Vegas, I had People run out of their front door and try to chase me down. People are slower than Dogs….
Either you must have pissed them off or they were high or both.

Old 08-07-22, 12:29 AM
Cyclcist11023131
Banned.

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 21 Posts
They were after my Bike.
Old 08-07-22, 08:41 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
I know my terrier will chase anything. It's genetic instinct and no amount of training will curb that instinct.
Don't fool yourself into thinking a trained dog will obey you 100% of the time.
My boy is always leashed on walks or in the park. He is scrappy and loves to chase and fight.
Know your dogs so you can protect him and others.
The problem is, every dog owner is just absolutely sure THEIR dog would never do anything like that. And then it does. And they say, "Oh, he's NEVER done anything like that!" Too late.

Leash laws aren't just to protect people from your dog. They're to protect your dog from other dogs. You don't know that stranger over there, OR his dog. And he doesn't know you or yours. When I walk my dog through one park near me - in a town with a leash law - I encounter people with their dogs off leash. They often come running over while their owner impotently calls their name. What if my dog attacked theirs? And there they'd be, all the way across the park, unable to pull their dog back.

You. Don't. Know.

As it happens, my dog is a retired Greyhound, and to adopt him I had to sign a contract stating I would never let him off leash in any area not fully enclosed. Which I wouldn't anyway, because he can reach 40 mph in 3 bounds. I'd never catch him.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-07-22, 11:05 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
I recently purchased a new Squirrel Release System (SRS) that attaches below the saddle and leverages both AI engagement logic and integrated radar sensors to recognize Canine Pursuit Incidents (CPI). The system, without operator intervention, will then release up to three Live Squirrel Decoys (LSD's) toward any moving dogs within a 10-meter omnidirectional radius. Have not been bitten by a dog yet, thus proving effectiveness of the overall system. Unfortunately, loading and maintenance of the LSD's has resulted in seven bites and a rabies shot. I plan to formally review the SRS system in early twenty-never.
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 08-07-22, 11:24 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
The problem with Larry is that he doesn`t care about laws. It`s pointless to reason with him.
He's above the law by waving at cops
Old 08-07-22, 12:27 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Dogs chasing bicycles is just bad training.

I know someone who had multiple dogs and was very knowledgeable with them, and the only issue they would have is with chasing animals in the forest.

Saying that, next to a road I think dogs should be on a leash. If you are somewhere in the countryside, let the dogs free man, but not next to a road.
Old 08-07-22, 12:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by ZHVelo

If you are somewhere in the countryside, let the dogs free man, but not next to a road.
I live in the boonies next to a dirt rail-trail where I walk my large dog regularly. my well behaved non-aggressive dog has been attacked twice by owners letting their dogs free. It involved trips to the vet and I was none to pleased by these people since there are leash laws in effect in the county. If people have off leash dog parks available, then use those for freedom.

The owners are the issue and since there seem to be an overabundance of dolts out there. Everyone is safer, just like genejockey said, when everyone obeys the rules.

Old 08-07-22, 01:00 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
I live in the boonies next to a dirt rail-trail where I walk my large dog regularly. my well behaved non-aggressive dog has been attacked twice by owners letting their dogs free. It involved trips to the vet and I was none to pleased by these people since there are leash laws in effect in the county. If people have off leash dog parks available, then use those for freedom.

The owners are the issue and since there seem to be an overabundance of dolts out there. Everyone is safer, just like genejockey said, when everyone obeys the rules.
Do you not have training laws in the US?
Old 08-07-22, 01:07 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 891 Posts
Originally Posted by koala logs
He's above the law by waving at cops
You're not perfect.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Likes For Siu Blue Wind:
Old 08-07-22, 01:08 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
Do you not have training laws in the US?
nope. Should be but this is a very strange country. If we could adopt a majority of the European laws here (I would start with drunk driving laws) it would be a much more pleasant place to live.

Last edited by rsbob; 08-07-22 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Drunk driving
Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-07-22, 02:02 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,277 Times in 7,225 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
As it happens, my dog is a retired Greyhound, and to adopt him I had to sign a contract stating I would never let him off leash in any area not fully enclosed. Which I wouldn't anyway, because he can reach 40 mph in 3 bounds. I'd never catch him.
Oh man. Flashback to when I was younger. Some friends of ours went to Denmark to visit relatives. My mom agreed to take in their retired racer while they were gone. There was a cat that lived next door. He liked to come into our house. I came home one afternoon while my mom was walking to dog. The cat snuck in behind me. Didn’t think twice. I was on the couch watching baseball when my mom came home with the dog and unleashed it. Dog came into the living room from the sun porch and it was on. We had 16 steps to the second floor. The cat took off. I swear old Jack the dog made it to the top of the staircase touching only once. My mom yelled “Jack!” We went upstairs, Jack had cornered the cat against my sister’s bedroom door. It was right out of Wild Kingdom. Flight mode had turned into fight mode. The cat had its back hunched, tail up, teeth showing and was hissing. Jack was like “Just give me the word and I’ll take care of this.”
Old 08-07-22, 08:47 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
survival of the fittest. Some people want indoor cats too. dodge the dogs
Yea, like every song bird (or any bird for that matter) in the world.
Old 08-07-22, 08:52 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Oh man. Flashback to when I was younger. Some friends of ours went to Denmark to visit relatives. My mom agreed to take in their retired racer while they were gone. There was a cat that lived next door. He liked to come into our house. I came home one afternoon while my mom was walking to dog. The cat snuck in behind me. Didn’t think twice. I was on the couch watching baseball when my mom came home with the dog and unleashed it. Dog came into the living room from the sun porch and it was on. We had 16 steps to the second floor. The cat took off. I swear old Jack the dog made it to the top of the staircase touching only once. My mom yelled “Jack!” We went upstairs, Jack had cornered the cat against my sister’s bedroom door. It was right out of Wild Kingdom. Flight mode had turned into fight mode. The cat had its back hunched, tail up, teeth showing and was hissing. Jack was like “Just give me the word and I’ll take care of this.”
When we got our first Greyhound, Zeena the Worrier Queen, one morning I was letting her out to pee and when I opened the door she spotted a squirrel about 30 yards away, about 9 feet from the base of a tree, which spotted her at the same moment.

That squirrel almost didn't make it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-07-22, 09:00 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

My 60 lb lap dog is super fast in a sprint, but not right now. The only thing he chases are squirrels (of course). Bikes and people on bikes are not worth his precious time.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-07-22, 09:11 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6881 Post(s)
Liked 10,871 Times in 4,636 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
The problem is, every dog owner is just absolutely sure THEIR dog would never do anything like that. And then it does. And they say, "Oh, he's NEVER done anything like that!" Too late.

Leash laws aren't just to protect people from your dog. They're to protect your dog from other dogs. You don't know that stranger over there, OR his dog. And he doesn't know you or yours. When I walk my dog through one park near me - in a town with a leash law - I encounter people with their dogs off leash. They often come running over while their owner impotently calls their name. What if my dog attacked theirs? And there they'd be, all the way across the park, unable to pull their dog back.

You. Don't. Know.
This. All of this.

My dogs are always leashed when outside of my house, and occasionally some other loose dog will come galloping up as we walk around the neighborhood. Yes, owners always come running after their dogs, impotently yelling their names, acting sooo surprised that the dog (who obviously has never had a lick of training) ignores them. And as I snatch my dog(s) away and restrain them, the other dogs' owners always say, "Oh, he's friendly, just wants to say 'hi.'"

My response is, "Sure, but my dogs don't want to say 'hi.' In fact, my dog is likely to murder your dog." And why shouldn't she? If I were walking down the street, minding my own business, and some random stranger came running straight at me, barking and growling, I'd probably put my fists up, too.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 08-07-22, 09:33 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
survival of the fittest. Some people want indoor cats too. dodge the dogs
I dont think dogs should be on leashes, its honestly kind of weird to leash another animal like we do to dogs. Its on the rider to slow down and dodge the dog similar to how you have to behave around children. Honestly this is a MUP issue and I would just tell any rider complaining to ride in the street like an adult.

Originally Posted by easyupbug
Would you disparage the owners that allowed this:https://www.cbsnews.com/news/jacquel...dogs-lawsuit/?

Texas college student loses her ears, nose and lips after being attacked by dogs.

Originally Posted by wolfchild
The problem with Larry is that he doesn`t care about laws. It`s pointless to reason with him.
More that LarrySellerz lacks in mature thought or really, totally lacks thoughtfulness. Not saying he's not a bright little kid and sometimes worthy of some give and take, but just lacking in maturity. Maybe when he leaves his adolescence, he'll be better.

Last edited by Camilo; 08-07-22 at 09:39 PM.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-07-22, 11:50 PM
DangerousDanR

Bikes: Time Scylon, Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 539 Times in 302 Posts
Mrs Dan had a Malamute before we were married. One hundred twenty pounds of barely domesticated fiercely protective canine.

It was in the back of her pickup properly restrained and a smaller dog jumped in and attacked it. Big Vet bill for the owner of the smaller dog.

We used to live in a very rural place where there was no leash law, but if your dog chased deer or livestock it could be shot and tough luck for you and the dog.

We were a couple of miles from the nearest paved road and we had a dalmatian who would chase us for at least a mile at 25 MPH before he gave up or we took him back to the house and restrained him.

He had been kicked real hard by one of our animals and never chased livestock, but our cars were fair game. We had to restrain him whenever we went somewhere.

Well, today I was cruising through the corn, bean, and beet fields that line the roads in Minnesota near me and a smaller Keeshond gave chase.

I saw it and stopped, becoming the aggressor. Mr. Brilliant, the owner of said dog, said "just ignore him"... Fortunately for the dog, it ran away when I went after it with the front wheel. The next level would have been the Silca Tatico pump I always carry.
So, yeah, restrain your<deleted> dog.
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 08-08-22, 01:48 AM
murphyqin

Bikes: 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Being attacked by a dog should be one of our greatest fears. You may not be able to avoid being chased by a dog, but you can understand the "dog mentality" so that you can deal with it tactfully.Understand the nature of dogs,know the dog's tactics,keep the front wheel.If all else fails, get off your horse, put your bike between you and the dog, swing it as a defensive weapon if necessary, and call for help.If you have been bitten, report it, noting down the location, the time, the face of the dog, and even the owner's name and address.
Likes For murphyqin:
Old 08-08-22, 01:50 AM
murphyqin

Bikes: 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some people have self-awareness problems, think that keeping a dog is no one's business, never think of tying the rope, even when they see the rules and regulations of the community.Some dog owners feel that their dogs are gentle and well-trained, and it doesn't matter if they are tethered or not.
Old 08-08-22, 04:05 AM
koala logs
Banned.

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind
You're not perfect.
Old 08-08-22, 07:00 AM
Desert Ryder
Henderson, NV

Bikes: Trek Alpha 3700, GT STS DH, Raleigh Grand Prix, Fisher Montare, Fisher CR-7, Fisher Aquila, Diamondback Sorrento, The Bike Beat Revolution, KHS XC 504R

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
nope. Should be but this is a very strange country. If we could adopt a majority of the European laws here (I would start with drunk driving laws) it would be a much more pleasant place to live.
I literally laughed out loud when I read this.....
Old 08-08-22, 07:33 AM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
We had three racing hounds when I was young. Beautiful friendly dogs, but barely semi-domesticated and running/chasing fools. My dad and I would take a couple of them to a very large field near the house, stand at opposite ends and whistle for the hound to run from one end to the other. They'd do this all day until they dropped, if you let them. And if a train passed, there was a fair chance that one of them would get distracted and chase the train. They just didn't know when to stop.