Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Dawes fans! Galaxy World Tour frame Q

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-31-09, 04:21 AM
viscount
Viscount

Bikes: Mercian, Viscount x2, Holdworth La Quelda, Gundle Trade Bike, Williams/Mercian Tourer, Itera,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Have a 2003 World Tour, which I believe is non UK made and one of the last before the compact frames.

Question is, is it Reynolds Tubing?
No Reynolds stickers to be seen.
The other decals are immaculate and no sign of removal of another.
I just assumed it was 531 when I bought it and it certainly feels as if it is.
Old 05-31-09, 06:50 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
...and now for something completely different. More useless trivia. The Windrush was a predecessor to the Galaxy. Below is a picture of a 50-year-old one. It was manufactured in Birmingham, Enland. It came with a Reynolds 531 frame with oiling ports on both the BB and head tube, Williams cottered steel crank set, head lamp mount on the right front fork blade, Brooks leather saddle, Benelux deraileurs, Weinmann brakes, Rigida steel rims. Dawes had their name stamped on many of the components and accessories. Some neat features included brake hood covers with contours for your fingers, brake lever covers, brake cable end covers, "scrollwork" engraving on the alloy handlebars, wire rear rack, fenders, and the one I have has a Miller generator light set. The one pictured is heavy as H***, but is a nice rider.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photoze 050.jpg (99.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-31-09, 07:42 AM
txvintage
Tilting with windmills

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Vis, I would think pretty much any local/regional dealer should be able to tell you.

Do you need the number of the shop my Dawes came from in Cambridge? They have been around forever.
Old 05-31-09, 07:50 AM
ozneddy

Bikes: Casati, ,Peugot,Mitchell,Raliegh,Nishiki

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
2003, is that a "Retro" model ? (looks good)
Old 05-31-09, 09:23 PM
Goats Do Roam

Location: Ann Arbor, MI, that magical little city where the words "road maitenence" do not exist.

Bikes: early '70s Dawes Galaxy, some Fuji track bike from the 70s

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm pretty sure all Galaxies are 531.

They're great bikes, love mine!

I'm not sure of the year, but i know it's from the '70s and i've heard that '75 was the last year that Dawes used the torch headbadge, so i'm assuming it's pre-'75.

Old 05-31-09, 09:35 PM
Goats Do Roam

Location: Ann Arbor, MI, that magical little city where the words "road maitenence" do not exist.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, if it wasn't made in England i'm not sure...

I am pretty sure that all English Dawes Galaxies were and continue to have Reynolds tubing... But to correct myself, more current British Galaxies are not 531, but some other type of Reynolds tubing.
I don't know the exact years, however.
Old 05-31-09, 09:45 PM
Goats Do Roam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To chime in for a third time....

Come to think of it, as far as i know all Dawes are still made in Birmingham, England.
Except for the BikesDirect Dawes knock off... But we don't like to talk about BikesDirect.
Old 06-01-09, 06:50 AM
viscount
Viscount

Bikes: Mercian, Viscount x2, Holdworth La Quelda, Gundle Trade Bike, Williams/Mercian Tourer, Itera,

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys.
First 2003 might not be vintage but arguably the Dawes Galaxy is a long time classic!
Do I hear dissent?

I called the current Dawes company this morning. (Based in Fort Dunlop, Birmingham, England - +44 121 748 2000) and I was told to email the technical guys at 'technical@dawescycles.com' for more info.
They hold computerised records from 2001 apparently, so somebody has got a head on their shoulders at last. I await their response.

Seek and ye shall find?
Maybe

ALL Galaxies are cool.
It's just that some are cooler than others.....
IMHO the older the better.
Old 06-01-09, 06:51 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Interesting to see pictures from "Goats Do Roam" posting. My '59 WR seems to have been refurbished back in the 1970s. The rear derailleur has a black plastic Simplex model replacing the Benelux. I now know where that idea came from. BF
Old 06-01-09, 07:37 AM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cycleheimer
..... Dawes had their name stamped on many of the components and accessories. Some neat features included brake hood covers with contours for your fingers, brake lever covers, brake cable end covers....
I have a pair of Dawes rubber cable end covers and also a pair of bar end plugs with the spare bulb holder inside.
Such small details, but they get my emphatic vote for their attention to such details.
You don't see that nowadays.
Old 06-01-09, 08:10 AM
cycleheimer

The following link will give you a little idea of how Dawes fans love the Galaxy...

https://www.londonfgss.com/thread8254.html

.... notice how some try to dissuade somebody from doing a SS conversion on a Galaxy.
Old 06-01-09, 01:13 PM
Goats Do Roam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Although i'm tempted to keep the bike original (assuming of course that it is all original... i can't be sure as i'm not the original owner and i'm not that knowledgeable as to the history of Dawes) I may end up replacing the derailleurs. The simplexes aren't bad, but they don't always make the cleanest of shifts.
Plus, I find something very appealing in the idea of having a pair of campy derailleurs to go along with my campy hubs.

Actually, i don't even know if my wheelset is original... Anyone know if the galaxies of the 70s came with campy hubs?
Old 06-01-09, 02:47 PM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Mention of keeping them original prompts me to show you a couple I customised.

Great bike to alter/customise.
It really needs racks both ends to take advantage of its load carrying capabilities.
Smashing bike.
Wanted to fit a 3 speed but it looks silly with 26" wheels. (27" with 3 speed hubs are difficult to find, or expensive to build)
Shown here with a 7 speed block, plenty for town use.
Will probably get the interesting lugs outlined in gold.

This Realmrider on the other hand was ideal for 3 speed and has the original 'flaming torch' headbadge.
Was originally a 5 speed with drop bars, but looks cool with straight bars and 3 speed.
Old 06-02-09, 06:21 AM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great article, thanks
Not seen it before.
Old 06-02-09, 02:02 PM
cycleheimer

I found some old Dawes catalog pages on the web...search "Dawes" on Flikr and Photobucket From them I was surprised to see things like Reynolds 531, Chrome Moly, Brooks saddles, Williams crank sets, Miller generator lights, etc. appearing on Dawes models back in the 1930s.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
3117774675_a5720a272b_m.jpg (26.0 KB, 11 views)
Old 06-03-09, 09:03 AM
viscount
Viscount

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Yeah, thanks.
The Flickr Dawes group is one of mine and I do have a catalogue from 1937 I think (can't put my hands on it right now!) but here's the link to several pages from it:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/pool/
(I'm elevhem on Flickr)
Six months ago I knew nothing much about Dawes but we try to collect Dawes stuff and links to interesting net finds all in one place.
Will check Photobucket later. I only use it to post stuff on here!