Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

650B vs. 700 for urban riding

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-22, 06:34 AM
dbhybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Two questions: The Kona Dew Plus hybrid bike I'm currently interested in buying has 650 wheels, but I noticed that most other hybrids of similar style and price have 700 wheels. From a practical matter, will I notice a significant difference in the smaller wheel? Nearly all of my rides will be in city commuter bike lanes or on dedicated paved bike paths (no gravel). And most rides will be no longer than 10 miles or so.
Also, the tire width is 47mm. Would it be smart to have them put on a slightly narrower tire—like 40mm or 42mm?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-29-22, 09:33 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
650B might be an ideal size - especially for/with wider tires and maybe also if the bike / rider are small-medium size (?)

tire size is preference - but 47 appears to be a good size

smaller size might result in a little less weight and rolling resistance on smooth surfaces - but don't know how noticeable it would be
Old 05-29-22, 03:24 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
As mentioned above, if you talking a S or XS frame 650s would likely be better without making the geometry weird. Other than that I'd go for 700s, larger wheels roll better.

As for the tires I wouldn't discount them on the sole fact that they are 47mm. Tread pattern would be just as important. If they're a knobby or aggressive tread they're likely not to be ideal for what your intended use is. I'd ride em and evaluate from there.
Old 05-30-22, 07:40 AM
dbhybrid

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Appreciate the feedback. I'm 5-91/2, so right between a medium and large bike. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-30-22, 08:23 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
If all else is equal there is virtually no difference. Triathletes and time triallists used to successfully use smaller diameter wheels on the front of their bikes (650c front, 700c rear) to cut down on the aerodynamic drag of the front wheel... this isn't common anymore AFAIK but illustrates that there is no major disadvantage to smaller diameter wheels in most situations, all other things being equal.

Putting narrower tires on will cut the weight down a bit, but will also require higher pressure which can make for a more harsh ride. Narrower tires also decrease the outside diameter of the tire so will effectively give you a slightly 'smaller' gear... if you found you were 'spinning out' on some downhills with 47mm tires, you will likely spin out a wee bit sooner with 40mm tires.