Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Car vs bike etiquette at the gate

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 07-05-22, 04:41 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts

Will cross the US border tomorrow, and enter a (probably busy) national park.
I usually take my place in the car lineup, unless there is a dedicated path for bikes/hikers (as in Jasper IIRC).
You wait in line or you ride up to the gate?
Old 07-05-22, 05:09 PM
Maricopa404
Maricopa404

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Waiting in line

I don’t know what the answer to that is, but I’ll share an experience I had.
My wife and I ride a tandem. We were entering Saguaro National Park in Arizona. We waited in line. My reason for this is that the law in Arizona states that it is legal for bicycles to ride in the traffic lanes, as long as they adhere to the same street laws as motorists.
So seeing that I hope vehicles respect me as a cyclist on the roads, I should respect vehicles and be considerate just as I would hope they do the same for me.
On that same note, I didn’t have any irate motorists yelling at me for cutting in line.
I just know some motorists will find any reason, big or small, to yell at us cyclists.
Either way, good luck and enjoy the park!
Old 07-05-22, 05:41 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,474 Times in 7,312 Posts
Wait in line unless you are directed to do otherwise. I’ve done that entering and leaving. No problems, and you won’t piss off anyone. For example, at Fort Erie we were waved over to a special place after crossing the Peace Bridge from Buffalo.

When we reentered the US at Chief Mountain we waited in line. When it was our turn we rolled up. The car behind us crossed the stop bar. Guess the driver thought bikes didn’t count. The border agents, who were quite nice to us, let the driver know otherwise.

Which crossing?

Last edited by indyfabz; 07-05-22 at 05:49 PM.
Old 07-05-22, 05:59 PM
gauvins

Carway.

I was told by a Blackfoot that friends had used Chief Mountain on Father's Day. Perhaps because First Nation have a different status. I'll ask tomorrow (after having waiting in line
Old 07-05-22, 07:06 PM
indyfabz

Yes. Chief Mountain Highway is on Blackfoot land and they have some power to make some rules. IIRC, other parts of the park were closed by the Blackfeet during the height of the pandemic.
Old 07-05-22, 07:17 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Yes. Chief Mountain Highway is on Blackfoot land and they have some power to make some rules. IIRC, other parts of the park were closed by the Blackfeet during the height of the pandemic.
shouldn't that be blackFOOTs?

Old 07-05-22, 07:41 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 176 Posts
I typically take my place in line.

National borders are a special situation since often there can be a separate path for pedestrians crossing the border and hence I am extra on the lookout.
Likes For mev:
Old 07-05-22, 07:50 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mev
I typically take my place in line.

National borders are a special situation since often there can be a separate path for pedestrians crossing the border and hence I am extra on the lookout.
Yeah. That’s what happened to us at Fort Erie. It wasn’t clear where people on bikes were supposed to go. We finally saw an agent waving us to a building, so we followed her directive. Had to enter the building to clear customs. The only downside was that an agent rolled her eyes at me when I asked for a stamp on my U.S. passport. She gave me one and wrote the word “courtesy” on it. At least she had neat handwriting.
Old 07-05-22, 09:03 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 1,449 Times in 1,130 Posts
My generic rule of thumb, if you have to pay an entrance fee or for some other reason have to see the staff at the entrance, get in line.

The border between Waterton and Glacier, ten years ago when I went through the border, there was no separate bike lane. But things may have changed in ten years. As you can see, there was no waiting line to cross the border either.

Canadians did not mind if I took a photo, but on the American side they get upset about photos.

That day had some nasty hills.
Old 07-06-22, 09:05 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
A feller on CrazyGuyOnABike just mentioned a few days ago having waited in a car lane for 45min only to find out about a pedestrian lane. That'd suck. Most of the Canada/US crossings I've gone through via car have had a pedestrian/cyclist line to one side or the other of the vehicle lanes. Keep your head on a swivel. When in doubt:
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wait in line unless you are directed to do otherwise. I’ve done that entering and leaving. No problems, and you won’t piss off anyone.
Checking Google Streetview for the Carway crossing, I see no specific signage or lane designation for pedestrians or cyclists - but the imagery is fairly outdated (2008-09).

Last edited by a_d_a_m; 07-06-22 at 09:08 AM.
Old 07-06-22, 10:41 AM
BobG

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 81 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
shouldn't that be blackFOOTs?
The guy in the cartoon is right! All humor aside, It's actually the Blackfeet Nation.

I staffed one of the early ACA Cycle Montana tours. One evening a spokesman from the Blackfeet tribe came up from Browning to give us an after dinner talk at our camp in St Mary. He made the Blackfeet pronunciation clear to us. He also let us know that they preferred to be called "Indians" as opposed to the politically correct term "native Americans". He pointed out that most everyone in the audience was likely a "native American". He jokingly said "We're just glad Columbus wasn't looking for Turkey!"
Old 07-06-22, 11:58 AM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by BobG
The guy in the cartoon is right! All humor aside, It's actually the Blackfeet Nation.

I staffed one of the early ACA Cycle Montana tours. One evening a spokesman from the Blackfeet tribe came up from Browning to give us an after dinner talk at our camp in St Mary. He made the Blackfeet pronunciation clear to us. He also let us know that they preferred to be called "Indians" as opposed to the politically correct term "native Americans". He pointed out that most everyone in the audience was likely a "native American". He jokingly said "We're just glad Columbus wasn't looking for Turkey!"
Ha, that's good stuff there. 😁

My mother told us kids that we have a bit of Blackfeet & Cherokee blood in us. But she was mostly English, so I never knew if I could trust what she said. 🤔😉 One of these days, I'll have to take one of those blood tests, that checks your genealogy.

I've never crossed any international borders on a bicycle, but I've gone through a few weigh stations, when highway traffic was pretty heavy. In that situation, you just stay as far right as possible, to make sure you don't get in anyone's way. Common sense, really.

A major reason for stopping there, besides traffic, is there's often a restroom, and/or drinking water. Something to consider, in the desert areas. 🙂
Old 07-06-22, 01:34 PM
Yan 

Quoted: 1917 Post(s)
Liked 633 Times in 433 Posts
For any kind of lineup, if there is a bike path or pedestrian sidewalk, I take that. Otherwise I wait in line with the cars.
Old 07-06-22, 03:04 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
I encountered this same question waiting in line for Japanese car ferries.

Am I a vehicle or pedestrian for ferry purposes? Turns out I was a vehicle every time, and so was probably smart to line up with the cars. This ferry man fully and properly secured my bike for the (not) perilous crossing to Shimoshima Island.

Likes For dgodave:
Old 07-06-22, 03:16 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Quoted: 951 Post(s)
Liked 1,617 Times in 1,038 Posts
Ya Know... This is a real hard question. It's well worth taking the time to feel it out.

Jumping ahead of the line at our southern Border (Mexico) could get ya in real deep ship. On the Mexico Border it's best ta just get in the Walk In line and walk your bicycle through no matter how long it takes...
Old 07-06-22, 03:18 PM
indyfabz

When you sail on the Cape May-Lewes Ferry between NJ and DE the helpful folks tell you to cue up at a certain spot. You then roll on you bike, put it in one of the racks between where the cars will eventually go and then walk up to the upper decks. Then they load the cars. Disembarking is the opposite. Cars first. Bikes after that. (Pedestrians get on and off via a totally separate, elevated “boatway.” It’s always gone smoothly.
Old 07-07-22, 02:10 PM
gauvins

Turned out that Carway has no pedestrian lane. The wait was short. Same thing at Glacier (which is closed for all practical purposes. I'll post in a separate thread.

WRT Black foot/feet, turns out that it is Blackfeet in Montana, and Blackfoot in Alberta/BC. According to Blackfeet/foot î spoke with.
Old 07-08-22, 06:04 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I'll be doing Highgate/Noyan, Northbound, on Sunday I'll try to report back here, but it may have to wait until I return.
BTW, ArriveCan was having colic today because of Rogers' problems. I had never even heard of Rogers.
When I called the Help # I got a recording saying "You are not authorized to dial this number."
Never heard that before either,