Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How screwed up the bike shop business has become,

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How screwed up the bike shop business has become,

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-21, 08:38 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,674 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Sort of, but winter biking is still a tiny fraction of summer around these parts. And I suspect the people fanatical enough about bikes to be riding in winter are also more likely to be doing their own wrenching.

I'm betting you've never been in a bike shop in NH in January. I have, it's very lonely.
And the fat bike fad has subsided to the point where they represent an even tinier fraction of sales than was the case just a couple of years ago (cf. the fixed-gear fad).
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 06-23-21, 08:42 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
$100/hour for bike service? You are kidding right?
And the last time I checked, for most work you needed to make an appointment with a wait time of about four weeks.
Old 06-23-21, 08:43 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2975 Post(s)
Liked 1,180 Times in 770 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
And the last time I checked, for most work you needed to make an appointment with a wait time of about four weeks.
LOL. Must be California. Where EVERYTHING is expensive.
Old 06-23-21, 08:43 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
And the fat bike fad has subsided to the point where they represent an even tinier fraction of sales than was the case just a couple of years ago (cf. the fixed-gear fad).

In the winter around here, I see no street bikes of any kind in significant numbers, and a few fat bikes on the walking trails. That's about it.
Old 06-23-21, 08:45 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Trakhak
It's not that it's a fad, it's just now the market is saturated with fat bikes so the sales have slowed down.
Old 06-23-21, 08:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by 2old
Basically, that represents shops turning away business. A lot of people won't bother with that kind of lead time, or figure out how to do it themselves.

Is that typical over the last few years, or just since the COVID-related biking boom/shortages?

I remember people complaining about standing in line for hours to get Beanie Babies, not sure this is an example of a sustainable economic model.
Old 06-23-21, 08:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's not that it's a fad, it's just now the market is saturated with fat bikes so the sales have slowed down.

From what I've seen around here, then the market "saturated" at a pretty low level. I think that's what a fad looks like.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-23-21, 09:34 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by livedarklions
From what I've seen around here, then the market "saturated" at a pretty low level. I think that's what a fad looks like.
No. A fad is something that comes and goes. People are still buying and riding fat bikes. Especially those that have a winter season to deal with.

The issue is...Anyone and everyone that wanted a fat bike has bought one. They did so between 2010 (Approximately when fat bikes hit the mainstream market) and 2020. Now a bunch of people have them and the sales have slowed down. The market for fat bikes is mostly rigid and a few front suspension. Being as it is...there is no reason to continue buying a new one every few years since there isn't much of an improvement right now over buying one that was made 5 years ago. Although I'm sure the bike industry will invent something that will try and make you feel the need to upgrade.

My first fat bike was an aluminum one that I purchased in 2015. I sold it in 2018 and purchased a carbon fat bike. The only improvement was that it's lighter. Now that I have a carbon fat bike, it's doubtful I'll buy another fat bike anytime within the next 20 years. It's a niche market (I only use mine in winter...about 3-4 month) and only a certain demographic will buy them so they will never sell as many bikes. The majority of bikes being sold will always be comfort/fitness bikes, mountain bikes, gravel bikes and road bikes.

Last edited by prj71; 06-23-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-23-21, 09:52 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No. A fad is something that comes and goes. People are still buying and riding fat bikes. Especially those that have a winter season to deal with.

The issue is...Anyone and everyone that wanted a fat bike has bought one. They did so between 2010 (Approximately when fat bikes hit the mainstream market) and 2020. Now a bunch of people have them and the sales have slowed down. The market for fat bikes is mostly rigid and a few front suspension. Being as it is...there is no reason to continue buying a new one every few years since there isn't much of an improvement right now over buying one that was made 5 years ago. Although I'm sure the bike industry will invent something that will try and make you feel the need to upgrade.

My first fat bike was an aluminum one that I purchased in 2015. I sold it in 2018 and purchased a carbon fat bike. The only improvement was that it's lighter. Now that I have a carbon fat bike, it's doubtful I'll buy another fat bike anytime within the next 20 years. It's a niche market (I only use mine in winter...about 3-4 month) and only a certain demographic will buy them so they will never sell as many bikes. The majority of bikes being sold will always be comfort/fitness bikes, mountain bikes, gravel bikes and road bikes.

I think we could argue about the definition of a fad--new Beanie Babies are still being made and presumably sold, end of fad doesn't imply extinction. They were selling a lot of fat bikes a few years ago, now they're not. My sense is that there's a lot of fat bikes sitting in people's garages and basements year round as a lot of people realized they really aren't that into winter riding. You say tomayto, I say tomahto.

So getting to my original point, fat bikes are too much of a niche item to overcome the essentially seasonal nature of the bike business in a climate with a real winter.
Old 06-23-21, 10:30 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4225 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,804 Posts
I think niche is a better term for fat bikes than fad. However, I thought ebikes were only ever going to be a niche bike 10 years ago and now look at them. Within 10 years, if things go on the same trajectory, they may be the majority of sales. On the other hand, they could also just be a bubble.
Old 06-23-21, 10:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by himespau
I think niche is a better term for fat bikes than fad. However, I thought ebikes were only ever going to be a niche bike 10 years ago and now look at them. Within 10 years, if things go on the same trajectory, they may be the majority of sales. On the other hand, they could also just be a bubble.

Suffice it to say there is almost nothing riding on the difference between niche and fad, Getting back to the topic of the thread, fat bikes aren't any kind of major game changer to the nature of the LBS business.

I think a fad is often the illusion that a niche product is going to have a much bigger share of the market long-term, which causes over-investment into that particular product in the short term.
Old 06-23-21, 11:26 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
If the only population you look at is bike companies, fatbikes were a fad. They aren't going away, but some companies aren't going to be selling them. It's just not a huge market that justifies all the big companies making them. QBP can probably handle the demand. OTOH, I feel like a lot of the year-round advantages of fat tires have moved downwards into mtb.

It wasn't too hard to see that ebikes would be big in the U.S. eventually. I have a Dutch bike and I looked at the company website. Virtually all they sell is ebikes now. For a bike that is used for commuting or other utility reasons, an ebike is a natural thing. And recreationally they are also very attractive to people that aren't really enthusiasts. I imagine aging cyclists are going to adopt the performance ebikes as well. The U.S. was just behind.
Old 06-23-21, 12:33 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by himespau
As long as we have lazies we will have e-bikes.

I've seen so many people this year, people in their 30's and 40's that are perfectly capable of pedaling, on e-bikes. The burgeoning e-bike market isn't those with physical limitations that's for sure.
Old 06-23-21, 02:49 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Amen!

I am one of those people who would rather spend my time learning and doing things other than working on my bikes. I love to cook and do a lot, yet I know educated, well off people who can barely boil water. I don't look down on them or think they are lazy or ignorant. My bikes generally do not require constant/frequent maintenance/work beyond what little I can do myself. Why spend the time and money on tools and learning how to perform more complicated repairs when I can simply ride to a LBS, leave my bike, make the short walk to work and pick the bike up at the end of the day? My time has a value just like money.

What I also think he misses is the fact that someone like a 2nd year grad student who lives in a third floor walkup efficiency and barely has time for a shower ain't got the time, space or resources to become an adroit mechanic. One reason shops in my city, which is home to at least three major universities, tend to do well.
I agree with the above.

I guess if people aren’t making deliberate decisions that’s not always the best.

I love to learn. I just might not enjoy learning the same things someone else does.
With a brainless job and a love for learning my Audible collection is getting pretty fat.
My App Store account is messed up so I’m not able to use Libby right now.
Old 06-23-21, 03:36 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I've seen so many people this year, people in their 30's and 40's that are perfectly capable of pedaling, on e-bikes. The burgeoning e-bike market isn't those with physical limitations that's for sure.
I'm just curious how negatively you talk about people who drive everywhere. Most vehicular traffic in the U.S. is for trip lengths less than 5 miles that could easily be done on an ebike, probably in less time. Who's the lazy-butt? I know I have driven when I didn't want to ride because I didn't want to be sweaty at my destination. An ebike would be perfect for a trip like that. Even if the trip is fully recreational, maybe people just want to be outdoors without getting a ton of exercise. Nothing wrong with that, and it's not laziness. When my friends and I went out riding as kids, it wasn't for exercise, it was because riding bikes is fun.
Old 06-24-21, 08:11 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by unterhausen
maybe people just want to be outdoors without getting a ton of exercise. Nothing wrong with that, and it's not laziness. When my friends and I went out riding as kids, it wasn't for exercise, it was because riding bikes is fun.
Yup. No exercise. And that's why the U.S. ranks as one of the highest in obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

https://worldhealth.net/news/usa-ran...heart-disease/
Old 06-24-21, 08:15 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

And cycling has a problem with exercise bulimia. People on ebikes still get more exercise than people in cars or the ones watching netflix all day. As if that's any of your business.
Old 06-24-21, 09:09 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by unterhausen
And cycling has a problem with exercise bulimia. .
It does?

Show your work.

I was on 100 mile solstice ride last weekend with a group of people. I'm 49 years old. At mile ~70 a 65 year old lady passed me on a long uphill on her e-bike. I reached the top with slightly burning legs and lungs and slowed it down a little to recover. Meanwhile she kept going and wasn't even breathing hard. I doubt she got much exercise at all during that ride.

Last edited by prj71; 06-24-21 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-24-21, 12:51 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts

I’ll be one of those, I’m perfectly capable of pedaling my normal bikes and will have to pedal my evidence when I buy it.

My wife signed off on the bike so now I’m thinking I want a Koga e-World Traveller
Old 06-24-21, 02:58 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
It does?

Show your work.

I was on 100 mile solstice ride last weekend with a group of people. I'm 49 years old. At mile ~70 a 65 year old lady passed me on a long uphill on her e-bike. I reached the top with slightly burning legs and lungs and slowed it down a little to recover. Meanwhile she kept going and wasn't even breathing hard. I doubt she got much exercise at all during that ride.
Why do you care how someone else rode a bike?
This is effectively no different from a person doing a century with hills and another doing a century on rail trails, then the hill rider complaining and crapping on the rail trail rider.
Old 06-24-21, 11:58 PM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
It does?

Show your work.

So as head of the exercise police did you reprimand her for having too much fun or arrest her for not riding exactly as you demand?
Old 06-25-21, 04:56 AM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Yup. No exercise. And that's why the U.S. ranks as one of the highest in obesity, diabetes and heart disease.

https://worldhealth.net/news/usa-ran...heart-disease/
Exercise has very little effect on obesity.
Old 06-25-21, 05:39 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
It does?

Show your work.

Because he got his ass kicked by an old lady. If she's happy more power to her. Did you verbally yell at her?
Likes For alloo:
Old 06-25-21, 09:21 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3417 Post(s)
Liked 3,547 Times in 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Exercise has very little effect on obesity.
I wouldn't be so unequivocal about that.

Studies suggest that exercise can have a real effect.

Effects of the Amount of Exercise on Body Weight, Body Composition, and Measures of Central Obesity

There was a significant dose-response relationship between amount of exercise and amount of weight loss and fat mass loss...

Compared with controls, all exercise groups significantly decreased abdominal, minimal waist, and hip circumference measurements. There were no significant changes in dietary intake for any group...

These finding strongly suggest that, absent changes in diet, a higher amount of activity is necessary for weight maintenance and that the positive caloric imbalance observed on the overweight controls is small and can be reversed by a modest amount of exercise.

--Slentz et al, Arch Intern Med, 2004

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 06-25-21, 09:47 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I wouldn't be so unequivocal about that.

Studies suggest that exercise can have a real effect.
We are straying a bit from bike shops but that study seems to say a couple of things.

a. No change in diet
b. absent that, exercise was needed to reduce weight.
c. and that the caloric imbalance was small in the controls used.

So basically, if you are pretty close to neutral in calories in/calories out and don't change your diet - exercise will help lose weight. That is true but I suspect many people who need to lose weight are not that close to calorie neutral. I occasionally calculate this for myself and the portions/food types are pretty modest compared to the modern traditional western diet. In that case, diet plays the dominant role.

However, exercise does play a role I believe in creating a psychological/lifestyle approach that influences food choices (tend to think more about the fuel choices) and increases base metabolism somewhat. On the flip side, exercise can sometimes stimulate overeating as a response. Lots of pro/college era athletes go to pot after retirement because of skewed mental imaging regarding normalized food volume consumption.

Apologies for the thread derailment

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.