Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Another "help a newbie" thread

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Another "help a newbie" thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 08:08 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
(The Tern BYB is) really not bad at all. It's three latches, same as a Brompton.
Hmm. There are two mainframe latches and a handlepost latch. And two quick releases on the telescoping seatpost. And two quick releases on the handlebars. And a unique brake cable tension release that I don't think is found on any other folding bike. And a front-to-rear axle latch. And a removable pedal with a 'loose part' retainer ring. And then that frame strap.

I like the BYB, but applying some industrial engineering analysis 'complicated fold' is a much more accurate evaluation than 'same as Brompton'.

...the Birdy has a single-piece main frame, without any latches. It folds with its front and rear suspension axles...

Which are securely latched in place for safe riding and have to be released for folding.

Fun fact: the original design for the Brompton did not have a latch on its under-folding rear triangle. It turned out there are certain situations unforseen by designer Andrew Ritchie where this caused the rider trouble, and a latch was added.

Last edited by tcs; 06-11-22 at 08:19 AM.
Likes For tcs:
Old 06-12-22, 11:19 PM
pinholecam

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
The Brompton is ideal for short commute, mixing transportation (bike+bus, train, car...) and storage in a small place.

Its one of the folder than provides the most functionality and practicality with its good riding performances, small folded size, ease to carry and store, many luggage options. Its also one of the folding bikes that is the most robust allowing several folding/unfolding every day all year long during many years what several aluminum folding bike do not accept. The comparison picture I posted with a typical Dahon bike show the huge difference in size and ease to carry folded.

For the price, yes its more expensive than cheap china made folding bikes made for leisure/occasional use, but compared to good quality bikes its not very expensive at all.
Per the TS use case, condition and use case.
She may decide after a month that the roads are too chewed up for the small wheels, or the traffic too risky, or just too tiring.
It does not look like she is looking at getting 'sports fitness', really only as a means to an end. (ie. very short commute)
A Brompton is expensive in such a context, the ROI is lower and will take longer.

Its arguable on whats best as a folder that is easy to carry, smallish, etc, as many 14", 16" bi-fold options also are good enough in those departments (often lighter) but comes (importantly in her case) cheaper / lower commitment for the use case. In fact, bi-folds are easier to push around folded over various surfaces and surface irregularities.
Furthermore, she does have experience with a bi-fold bike and in her condition, I would rather her be safer with something she is familiar at handling (in the traffic she seems to mention).

If the person rode a longer distance (say 45mins each way every day), was looking to ride more (and even more), or even be sure of a longer commitment to be able to cycle on the road that he/she will be commuting by, then yes, by all means, consider a Brompton.
My take is that, sometimes the enthusiast in us would like to recommend folks bikes we know are good for the long term, but then we forget that the user may just need something that works for their case for cheaper.
Old 06-13-22, 01:15 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by pinholecam
Per the TS use case, condition and use case.
She may decide after a month that the roads are too chewed up for the small wheels, or the traffic too risky, or just too tiring.
It does not look like she is looking at getting 'sports fitness', really only as a means to an end. (ie. very short commute)
A Brompton is expensive in such a context, the ROI is lower and will take longer.

Its arguable on whats best as a folder that is easy to carry, smallish, etc, as many 14", 16" bi-fold options also are good enough in those departments (often lighter) but comes (importantly in her case) cheaper / lower commitment for the use case. In fact, bi-folds are easier to push around folded over various surfaces and surface irregularities.
Furthermore, she does have experience with a bi-fold bike and in her condition, I would rather her be safer with something she is familiar at handling (in the traffic she seems to mention).

If the person rode a longer distance (say 45mins each way every day), was looking to ride more (and even more), or even be sure of a longer commitment to be able to cycle on the road that he/she will be commuting by, then yes, by all means, consider a Brompton.
My take is that, sometimes the enthusiast in us would like to recommend folks bikes we know are good for the long term, but then we forget that the user may just need something that works for their case for cheaper.
It was clear that budget isn't a major issue:
Originally Posted by HumanPerson
* your budget: I could pay several thousand if needed but would obviously prefer less.
The Brompton has the advantage that it is very easy to sell it and for a high price if cycling appear to be impossible.

When I see the price of the BYB, the high end model is as expensive has a Birdy, the low end as expensive as a A-line Brompton !

If it was for me, I would choose the Birdy: as easy to use and small as the Brompton but much more efficient and comfortable with the full suspension and wide tires.
Old 06-13-22, 01:21 PM
mlau

Bikes: Xootr Swift

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by HumanPerson
Thank you tds101, Antifriction, mlau, Jipe, anga, and Leiseturm for your advice and encouragement. It is much appreciated!

I still have good range of motion, but thanks for putting stand over height on my radar. Lifting heavy things, on stairs or otherwise, is a challenge for me. I'm hoping to carry the bike only from the front door of my work building to my desk on the first floor. If it's too heavy, I'll have to figure out a solution.

Hey HumanPerson,

How is your technique with lifting? I find that folding bikes aren't that heavy in absolute terms, but can be quite cumbersome if technique isn't used (bending at knees instead of waist; minimizing unnecessary strain; etc).

As for recommended bikes, where are you located (if you don't mind disclosing?)
I don't know if we have fellow bike forum people in your area, so that you can try the bike....or a local dealer to try in person?

Without having tried the bikes (so take it with a huge grain of salt), I think that the Birdie or the Tern BYB seems to make the most sense.
Birdie is quite well known for solid quality, and a better ride than a Brompton. Some models are for offroad....I just don't know how it rolls folded.
BYB is designed to roll while folded, and honestly tempted me quite a lot for my fiance. Tern had some frame recall scares, but appears to be doing way better now.

Some other possibilities (for bikes I've never tried):
- Montague e-bike (will fold pretty big, and be pretty heavy; but can roll and e-assist)
- Gocycle e bike (folds pretty small, but weight is my main issue; can also roll and e-assist; I'm sorta annoyed that lights, rack, fenders are an add on at the $$$$).

As for the Origami bikes, Piningis is the best advisor.
They seem almost too good to be true (I'm used to way higher prices for lower specs)....but maybe they are?
Not sure if they roll folded (my main caveat).

Any input Piningis?
Old 06-13-22, 01:52 PM
Pinigis 

Bikes: Origami Gazelle, Origami Crane 8, Origami Cricket 7

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 241 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
As for the Origami bikes, Piningis is the best advisor.
They seem almost too good to be true (I'm used to way higher prices for lower specs)....but maybe they are?
Not sure if they roll folded (my main caveat).

Any input Piningis?
We have endeavored to keep our prices low because this isn't a "get rich quick scheme" for me. I do this because I enjoy the creativity and the challenge. If I can break even, that great. We have been doing this for 11 years now, and it's been a lot of fun. We are able to keep our prices down because we have low overhead.
Old 06-13-22, 01:54 PM
mlau

Originally Posted by Pinigis
We have endeavored to keep our prices low because this isn't a "get rich quick scheme" for me. I do this because I enjoy the creativity and the challenge. If I can break even, that great. We have been doing this for 11 years now, and it's been a lot of fun. We are able to keep our prices down because we have low overhead.

I salute you!
Likes For mlau:
Old 06-13-22, 01:58 PM
mlau

Of the folding bikes that I've owned/tried, I don't recommend them:

Xootr Swift- great ride. fold isn't great for your case. Won't roll when folded.
Brompton M6r- great fold. Rolls when folded okay. Okay ride....bad for horrible roads
Strida clone- super stiff, felt like getting hit in the crotch on any bumps. Looks cool. IMHO, totally not recommended.
Carryme- surprisingly decent ride. But very tiny wheels

I absolutely don't recommend a Brompton for your use case.
Old 06-13-22, 02:39 PM
willydstyle

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Hmm. There are two mainframe latches and a handlepost latch. And two quick releases on the telescoping seatpost. And two quick releases on the handlebars. And a unique brake cable tension release that I don't think is found on any other folding bike. And a front-to-rear axle latch. And a removable pedal with a 'loose part' retainer ring. And then that frame strap.

I like the BYB, but applying some industrial engineering analysis 'complicated fold' is a much more accurate evaluation than 'same as Brompton'.

Which are securely latched in place for safe riding and have to be released for folding.

Fun fact: the original design for the Brompton did not have a latch on its under-folding rear triangle. It turned out there are certain situations unforseen by designer Andrew Ritchie where this caused the rider trouble, and a latch was added.
Yes, if you want to make the BYB as compact as possible when folded it requires more operations than the Brompton this is true. However, when I'm just putting my bike away in a shared basement, I only partially collapse the seat post, do the three main hinges (two frame and one stem) and do not do the stem/handlebar latches at all, which gives me a quick fold and then a quick unfold when I'm leaving the house again, and I don't think it's significantly more complicated than any other folder I've seen or ridden.

Also I see a lot of people recommend Birdy bikes, but they really are not very available in the US, and I wish that more people would recognize and caveat that when recommending bikes that are more widely available in European and Asian markets than the US when people who live in the US are asking for bicycle recommendations.
Likes For willydstyle:
Old 06-14-22, 02:43 AM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by mlau
Birdie is quite well known for solid quality, and a better ride than a Brompton. Some models are for offroad....I just don't know how it rolls folded.
The Birdy roll well folded with its foldable rear rack.

All Birdy can do off-road.