Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why don't people want to pedal anymore?

Old 09-22-22, 06:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
No, not excruciating, just discomfort. Damage is unhelpful. You do get it, of course. A fellow on BF a number of years ago related how he had developed some sort of butt problem, probably 'roids, but I don't really remember. I do remember that, similar to what you say, he removed his seatpost and kept trying to ride. Eventually he was able to go back to his 40 mile group rides, standing the whole way. It worked.

Lactate build-up in the legs happens, even if it's not really lactate that causes the pain (or should I say discomfort?). I remember racing a couple of friends to the top of a local pass, about 90 miles into a training ride for a much harder ride. We stopped at a store at the pass and we all cramped our legs solid after a bit. Out in the parking lot, one of us had emptied a soda bottle which fell over in a wind gust and no one could get their legs to work well enough to chase it down. We were falling-down laughing. The rest of the ride went fine as did the event ride. I don't remember who got to the top first - it didn't matter. We all got a good bump from that 10 miles of hard work.
Pain is something that happens as a result of an intense workout or a long hilly ride, but I certainly don't get saying that pain is the point of it. But year, I can definitely relate to the pushing myself far enough on a ride that taking my shoes off at the end of the ride seems like a gargantuan task.

I don't think that puts us in a position to demean the value of riding to people who ride ebikes, though. They're just riding differently than thee or me.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-22-22, 07:46 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,448 Times in 1,822 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
​​​​​​I actually like most of your posts very much, you just drive me nuts from time to time. If I have one piece of advice, it would be to discard the post as soon as you realize you're referring to yourself as "we". It's like a tell that " evil Maelochs" has risen. Basically, I think you have really good practical advice for people, and you're very helpful to beginners with sensible "here's a way to get started" advice. I admire that.
We shall consider your suggestion.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 09-23-22, 09:59 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2964 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 760 Posts
I don't want an ebike myself, but I don't see anything mysterious about why anyone else would want one regardless of how fit they are. It just means they don't ride for the same purposes I do or at least not the same way I serve that purpose.
Considering the folks on e-bikes previously didn't ride or had no interest in riding it's kind of obvious why they are riding an e-bike...It doesn't take as much physical effort.

At the start of the this I mentioned the paved bike path I ride a few times a year. I even have a few rail trails that I like to ride. I've been riding these trails long enough to notice an increase in users and those users are e-bike folks not acoustic folks. Had it not been for e-bikes I guarantee I would not see the increased amount of people on these trails.
Old 09-23-22, 10:42 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Tell us, where did the bad, bad cyclist touch you?
Can't you just see him gnashing his teeth when he says "fully kitted"? Like it's a reference to the scum of the earth.
Old 09-23-22, 10:56 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by prj71
Considering the folks on e-bikes previously didn't ride or had no interest in riding it's kind of obvious why they are riding an e-bike...It doesn't take as much physical effort.

At the start of the this I mentioned the paved bike path I ride a few times a year. I even have a few rail trails that I like to ride. I've been riding these trails long enough to notice an increase in users and those users are e-bike folks not acoustic folks. Had it not been for e-bikes I guarantee I would not see the increased amount of people on these trails.

Consider the fact that who you happen to see is not necessarily a representative sample. Where I ride, ebikes are kind of unusual--I actually encounter more recumbents than I do ebikes, and definitely much fewer than pedal-power two wheelers.

And what do you care what their motivation is? I see some fit people riding ebikes--for all I know, they're using it as transport to the gym.

What the hell is the point of this thread?
Old 09-23-22, 11:03 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,421 Times in 2,824 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Can't you just see him gnashing his teeth when he says "fully kitted"? Like it's a reference to the scum of the earth.
Perhaps ‘fully knitted’ would work better.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-23-22, 11:13 AM
prj71

And what do you care what their motivation is? I see some fit people riding ebikes--for all I know, they're using it as transport to the gym.
As I mentioned previously....these are recreational trails only that traverse through very rural areas. They are not trails that you ride to get from home to work or home to the store or home to the gym. This isn't big city stuff.
Old 09-23-22, 12:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

As I mentioned previously....these are recreational trails only that traverse through very rural areas. They are not trails that you ride to get from home to work or home to the store or home to the gym. This isn't big city stuff.
And as I mentioned, consider the fact that that isn't a representative sample of "new" riders.

And that relates to answering the question you quoted how?

Why do you care about their motivation? You keep not answering that question.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-23-22, 12:57 PM
prj71

Why do you care about their motivation? You keep not answering that question.
It's not their motivation...or lack thereof in this case. I'm not amused by the increased users on the trail. Especially ones with poor bike handling skills. If it were not for e-bikes there wouldn't be an increase of people on the trail systems. That's a fact. It doesn't have to always be about having more people.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-23-22, 02:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

It's not their motivation...or lack thereof in this case. I'm not amused by the increased users on the trail. Especially ones with poor bike handling skills. If it were not for e-bikes there wouldn't be an increase of people on the trail systems. That's a fact. It doesn't have to always be about having more people.

Gotta say, I ride a fair amount of rural paths and trails, and I rarely if ever see ebikes on them. I honestly am very skeptical of this whole rant.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-23-22, 02:55 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
The most popular electric assist bikes I see around here are fat bikes and also fat tire folding bikes with 20 inch wheels and 4 inch wide knobby off road tires. Most people use them for commuting and just getting outside and enjoying the outdoors. I never seen one on singletrack but I do see them regularly along rail trails and MUPS. Personally I don't have a problem with them as long as the riders behave responsibly and don't buzz people.. I like the concept of electric assist bikes but the battery range is way too short to justify buying one. These bikes need to be designed with some kind of integrated charger inside the hub that recharges the battery while riding, similar to a vehicle alternator.
Old 09-23-22, 03:36 PM
prj71

Gotta say, I ride a fair amount of rural paths and trails, and I rarely if ever see ebikes on them. I honestly am very skeptical of this whole rant.
Be skeptical all you want. I speak the truth. The paved path I refer to is 52 miles and connects to 5 different touristy towns that have quaint little coffee shops, restaurants and gift shops. The rail trail (all gravel) I refer to 21-1/2 miles long connecting 2 touristy towns. They are touristy trails that are used heavily on the weekends by recreational riders. Not for transportation to get to and from work etc. While they are rural, they are destinations trails that draw people in from 3-6 hours away.

Last edited by prj71; 09-23-22 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-23-22, 03:43 PM
Gear_Admiral 

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I like the concept of electric assist bikes but the battery range is way too short to justify buying one. These bikes need to be designed with some kind of integrated charger inside the hub that recharges the battery while riding, similar to a vehicle alternator.
That's the biggest thing dissuading me from ever getting one. After the battery goes, you're just pedaling a monstrous, heavy, mediocre bike with horrible gearing, dynamics, etc. An e-bike would make sense if I'm feeble and only need to go on trips of a few miles occasionally, but an e-bike limits my range as opposed to regular biking more than it increases my range from strictly walking and taking the bus.

I won't pooh-pooh the e-bike and I'd rather for my sake and the planet's sake have people on e-bikes as opposed to cars (really, SUVs and trucks), but it doesn't make sense for those who already can bike the old-fashioned way. The e-bike is good for the person who drives and would like to bike, but doesn't have the skills, and would consider ditching the car if e-bikes were affordable and practical. But it's not going to be good for most of us. The e-bike doesn't solve any problems for me. Conditions in winter bad? Then the town needs to plow more and have safe and segregated bike lanes. The e-bike won't change much. It can jump up in speed and help me more competently weave through cars, but if the conditions are such that I can't ride an old-fashioned bike, then it's too icy for anyone to safely do any high-speed weaving on a two-wheeled bike or e-bike.
Old 09-23-22, 03:44 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
The paved path I refer to is 52 miles and connects to 5 different touristy towns that have quaint little coffee shops, restaurants and gift shops. The rail trail (all gravel) I refer to 21-1/2 miles long connecting 2 touristy towns. While they are rural, they are destinations trails that draw people in from 3-6 hours away.
Sounds like a great place to ride an e-bike. The Chamber of Commerce should promote them; maybe build a rental/charging kiosk in each town.
Old 09-23-22, 03:57 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
For better or worse, it's probably within the mission of the agencies that develop and maintain those trails, to attract more users. I've been on some of those trails (e.g., Gandy Dancer), and they were quite lonely. There's a region I've visited around Hayward, that's a major attraction for MTB'ers, ATV's, and every other conceivable thing.
I live in Wisconsin, and there's a fair amount of bike tourism. People drive into the rural areas (including from out of state), park, and ride on the paths. Sometimes this is done in conjunction with an overnight stay somewhere. I have relatives from Illinois who do this, and they're all getting e-bikes. When I ride on the trails and go past parking areas, I see people loading bikes on and off their cars.
Old 09-23-22, 04:07 PM
prj71

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I live in Wisconsin, and there's a fair amount of bike tourism. People drive into the rural areas (including from out of state), park, and ride on the paths. Sometimes this is done in conjunction with an overnight stay somewhere. I have relatives from Illinois who do this, and they're all getting e-bikes. When I ride on the trails and go past parking areas, I see people loading bikes on and off their cars.
Yup. You got it. I live in WI also. Approximately an hour from the paved trails and 1/2 hour from the rail trails I speak of. Any given weekend in northern WI (where these trails are) has more people in it from Illinois than there are locals. Minocqua has often been called Illinocqua.

Hayward is the CAMBA MTB trail system. ~120 miles of mountain bike trails in that area. Also draws people in from all over and out of state.

Last edited by prj71; 09-23-22 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-23-22, 06:49 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
These bikes need to be designed with some kind of integrated charger inside the hub that recharges the battery while riding, similar to a vehicle alternator.
Since there is no perpetual motion, that wouldn't work. What they could do, like on e-cars, is regenerative braking but that would require a substantial amount of descending/coasting to be effective. Not to mention added complexity and expense.

The way to increase range is bigger batteries and all the things that make bikes faster like lighter weight and better aerodynamics. Oh, and more power from the rider.
Likes For big john:
Old 09-26-22, 12:18 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Are overtaking bikes/vehicles required to pass on the left? Here in California, they can pass wherever there is room.
Note that I said they were passing on my RIGHT. You can pass on the left here when it is safe to do so. My point is that many E-bike riders don't know when to or how to pass safely.

Perhaps you are in the UK?

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 09-26-22, 06:26 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Are overtaking bikes/vehicles required to pass on the left? Here in California, they can pass wherever there is room.
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Note that I said they were passing on my RIGHT. You can pass on the left here when it is safe to do so. My point is that many E-bike riders don't know when to or how to pass safely.

Perhaps you are in the UK?
I am in California, where you can pass on the right or the left, as long as there is room and it is safe to do so.

Old 09-26-22, 12:30 PM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
This is a straw man. No one here is saying that "ebikes are ALWAYS cheating" or that "the ONLY valid type of cycling is a suffer fest" or that "you CAN'T use a bike to just get around/have fun/see scenery". In fact, people here have been very clear that they agree with you on all of your points.
Just catching up after being gone a week riding my E bicycle along the Erie Canal.
I do not see this as a straw man argument at all. The message in this thread is clear. There are a bunch of cyclists in this thread that look down their noses at me because I ride an E bicycle exclusively and do not share their view that a bicycle is primarily a piece of exercise equipment. In fact, I look at an E bicycle as just the opposite. Yeah, I know it "does not apply" to me but I get the clear message that it does from this thread.
Today I went out and rode my cadence sensed E bicycle with the dropper post all the way down while ghost pedaling. For you casual observers: "I was an ignorant newbie" instead of a guy using his E bicycle to loosen up stiff joints after working under a piece of machinery. With the saddle all the way down and no pedal pressure, I can roll my hips, knees and ankles through a wide range of motion. On a regular bike I would be cramping in a couple of miles. Instead, I could walk normal without stiffness and pain after two miles.

Last edited by KPREN; 09-26-22 at 01:12 PM.
Likes For KPREN:
Old 09-26-22, 01:18 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Be skeptical all you want. I speak the truth. The paved path I refer to is 52 miles and connects to 5 different touristy towns that have quaint little coffee shops, restaurants and gift shops. The rail trail (all gravel) I refer to 21-1/2 miles long connecting 2 touristy towns. They are touristy trails that are used heavily on the weekends by recreational riders. Not for transportation to get to and from work etc. While they are rural, they are destinations trails that draw people in from 3-6 hours away.

And we're supposed to believe that 80% of the riders on these are ebikers? Sorry, but that's just way out of line with similar paths I've been on..
Old 09-26-22, 02:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
And we're supposed to believe that 80% of the riders on these are ebikers? Sorry, but that's just way out of line with similar paths I've been on..
80% of statistics are made up.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-26-22, 07:22 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2641 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Do the fully kitted racers boyz doing the same thing also make you mad???
I am in California, where you can pass on the right or the left, as long as there is room and it is safe to do so.
Why would you pass someone on the right? Who cares if California says you can, its super obnoxious
Old 09-26-22, 07:53 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Why would you pass someone on the right? Who cares if California says you can, its super obnoxious
Because, sometimes it's safer to pass on the right.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 09-26-22, 09:28 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3335 Post(s)
Liked 3,435 Times in 1,737 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Why would you pass someone on the right?
Because that’s where there’s room to pass, and there is not enough room on the left. Sometimes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.