Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Handlebar Diameter (drops, bend area)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-22, 09:24 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts

I know there are different handlebar diameters where the stem clamps the bar. My question is whether the other areas of the bar (alloy road bars, like FSA) have different diameters between brands and models. I thought these FSA Omega Compact bars I bought for one bike were same as bars on my road bike (same make and model, bought close to 10 years ago), but they feel like a much smaller diameter. I’m guessing it’s the bar tape, however, I’ve had this same tape and it was way thicker feeling on a previous handlebar in had for this bike.
Old 12-04-22, 09:45 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Drop bar diameters range from 22.2 to 24.5mm aprox. for common ones. A little while ago some brand offered a bigger diameter but I haven't seen them any longer. No surprise as the levers being made by other companies would have to also be bigger in size to fit. 22.2mm is the "classic" steel bar diameter with the stem clamp area expanded to 25.4. 23.5/23.8 is the "classic" Al bar size. Note that both will reduce at the curves as when a tube is bent it usually is deformed from a true round shape.

Bar wrap can vary in it's thickness and if added layers are wrapped can be rather large in diameter. Andy
Old 12-04-22, 10:04 AM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 637 Times in 355 Posts
Originally Posted by Noonievut
I know there are different handlebar diameters where the stem clamps the bar. My question is whether the other areas of the bar (alloy road bars, like FSA) have different diameters between brands and models. I thought these FSA Omega Compact bars I bought for one bike were same as bars on my road bike (same make and model, bought close to 10 years ago), but they feel like a much smaller diameter. I’m guessing it’s the bar tape, however, I’ve had this same tape and it was way thicker feeling on a previous handlebar in had for this bike.
The shifter lever clamps have to fit the bars, so they are all the same size away from where the stem clamps the bar. Some bars are a bit tricky to slide the shifters on because aluminum ones get distorted when bent, but other than that they are the same all the way to the bulge/flare between the shifter mounting point and the stem.
Old 12-04-22, 11:02 AM
Noonievut

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 129 Posts
I’m now thinking that in addition to how the tape was applied and it’s thickness, the older FSA bars are flatter on top. Hard to tell with tape on there and each bar has a gel padding beneath the tape.