Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Non branded QR adaptors

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Non branded QR adaptors

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-22, 04:33 PM
scampybell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Non branded QR adaptors

I have just purchased VEL 50 RL CARBON TUBELESS DISC WHEELSET from Sigma sports. My bike uses QR and these wheels are setup for thru axle, so require QR adaptors. Frustratingly, Sigma sports (they produce VEL wheels) don't have any QR adaptors until March 2023, so trying to source elsewhere.

Question: can non branded QR adaptors be used instead? Sigma seemed to imply they could, but it would invalidate the warranty (which I dont mind). If they can, would anyone know a good alternative QR adaptor stockist/manufacturer?

Background:
WHEELS:
Hubs: Vel RE Rapid Engagement, AL6061 CNC machined shell, sealed bearings, 102T engagement ring with six pawls
Bearings: Front 6902 x 2, rear 17287 x2, 6902 x 1, 6903 x1
Disc Standard: Center Lock
Front Axle: 12x100mm
Rear Axle: 12x142mm

BIKE:
triban rc520 with HUNT 650B Adventure Sport Disc QR wheels

Apologies if this isn't enough information or very obvious, I am not the most proficient with technical aspects of biking!

Many thanks,
Old 12-04-22, 04:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
As long as the replacement will fit the hub's axle ends and position the hub/rim/wheel properly WRT the frame and fit the drop outs and fit the QR skewer they will work.

But the fitting the axle ends and being of correct lengths might be the real challenge as very few companies will purposely make their parts be able to fit other brands (of course this hub is quite likely a contracted out badge labeled one so finding out other "brands" made by the same factory might be a path). Andy
Old 12-04-22, 11:38 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
(of course this hub is quite likely a contracted out badge labeled one so finding out other "brands" made by the same factory might be a path). Andy
If I had to bet money on it, I'd say Novatec.
Old 12-05-22, 04:36 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
You have purchased a wheelset that is incompatible with your frame, forget the adapters, the bigger issue is the rear hub is currently a 135mm OLD (on the basis that this is your bike Triban RC520 (2020) (decathlon.co.uk) and you're not going to get the 142mm thru axle from the Vel 50 to fit the frame.

Getting the front to work isn't an issue, and there are adapters out there (plenty on eBay) is it possible to get the 142mm hub to fit your frame, yes, will it be cost effective, no (as you need to buy a whole new frame, and probably other parts)
Old 12-05-22, 07:40 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 537 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 274 Posts
First rule of keeping manufacturers' warranties = never tell them what you are doing to do, nor have done. What you say can and will be used against you.

Skewers never need to be super tight.

There isn't much to a cheap unbranded skewer, it's a bolt with a nut. Folks go for branded ones to reduce weight or bling.

The whole point of them is to keep your wheels in place on the chance you are in air.

The only time skewers break is when they are over tightened.

I've encountered some skewers so tight, I needed a cheater bar to turn the QR handle.
Old 12-05-22, 05:29 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by jimc101
You have purchased a wheelset that is incompatible with your frame, forget the adapters, the bigger issue is the rear hub is currently a 135mm OLD (on the basis that this is your bike Triban RC520 (2020) (decathlon.co.uk) and you're not going to get the 142mm thru axle from the Vel 50 to fit the frame.

Getting the front to work isn't an issue, and there are adapters out there (plenty on eBay) is it possible to get the 142mm hub to fit your frame, yes, will it be cost effective, no (as you need to buy a whole new frame, and probably other parts)
My Novatec D411SB and D412SB hubs have interchangeable caps for 135 QR and 142 TA in the rear, and QR, TA12, and TA15 front. I haven’t converted them myself, but I suspect redishing the rear might be necessary given the spacing change, but it is possible depending on who made the OP’s hubs.

Last edited by urbanknight; 12-05-22 at 06:37 PM.
Old 12-07-22, 12:06 AM
jimc101

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
My Novatec D411SB and D412SB hubs have interchangeable caps for 135 QR and 142 TA in the rear, and QR, TA12, and TA15 front. I haven’t converted them myself, but I suspect redishing the rear might be necessary given the spacing change, but it is possible depending on who made the OP’s hubs.
There are a few ways to fix the OP's problem, and re-dishing is not one.

1st and cheapest, get a set of wheels that actually fits the frame

2 - get a new frame for the wheels purchased (expensive)

3 - use hacksaw, cut the hubs down, realize they are never going to fit, and then buy correct set (even more expensive)

The simple thing is the OP has purchased an incompatible wheel set for their bike, and nothing that is cost effective will make them fit (the rear is the real issue, a 142 thru axle rear is never going to go into a 135mm frame (ok there are a very few hubs that do have this capability, but nothing indicates the OP's do, and you normally have to go out your way to find/spec these, if they are even been made anymore)
Old 12-07-22, 12:30 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by jimc101
There are a few ways to fix the OP's problem, and re-dishing is not one.

1st and cheapest, get a set of wheels that actually fits the frame

2 - get a new frame for the wheels purchased (expensive)

3 - use hacksaw, cut the hubs down, realize they are never going to fit, and then buy correct set (even more expensive)

The simple thing is the OP has purchased an incompatible wheel set for their bike, and nothing that is cost effective will make them fit (the rear is the real issue, a 142 thru axle rear is never going to go into a 135mm frame (ok there are a very few hubs that do have this capability, but nothing indicates the OP's do, and you normally have to go out your way to find/spec these, if they are even been made anymore)
Go back and read previous posts again. I stated earlier that the OP's hubs look a lot like Novatec hubs, which I have, and my hubs came with interchangeable caps. That is a good indication that the OP's hubs could use those caps, which sell for $20-25 per pair.
Old 12-10-22, 05:33 AM
GM68

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scampybell
I have just purchased VEL 50 RL CARBON TUBELESS DISC WHEELSET from Sigma sports. My bike uses QR and these wheels are setup for thru axle, so require QR adaptors. Frustratingly, Sigma sports (they produce VEL wheels) don't have any QR adaptors until March 2023, so trying to source elsewhere.

Question: can non branded QR adaptors be used instead? Sigma seemed to imply they could, but it would invalidate the warranty (which I dont mind). If they can, would anyone know a good alternative QR adaptor stockist/manufacturer?

Background:
WHEELS:
Hubs: Vel RE Rapid Engagement, AL6061 CNC machined shell, sealed bearings, 102T engagement ring with six pawls

BIKE:

Apologies if this isn't enough information or very obvious, I am not the most proficient with technical aspects of biking!

Many thanks,
Hi bud, i've just bought a set of Vel wheels and had the same issue, these worked for me, direct from Wiggle, search prime-audax-qr-end-cap
it took me hours matching the images up as there are hundreds of end caps out there, however mine were the Vet 28 RL wheels with the cheaper hubs, some of the better wheels are running DT Swiss hubs, match the image to the end caps on Sigma's website. You can also search DT Swiss end caps conversions in images.
Likes For GM68:
Old 12-10-22, 07:50 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by GM68
Hi bud, i've just bought a set of Vel wheels and had the same issue, these worked for me, direct from Wiggle, search prime-audax-qr-end-cap
it took me hours matching the images up as there are hundreds of end caps out there, however mine were the Vet 28 RL wheels with the cheaper hubs, some of the better wheels are running DT Swiss hubs, match the image to the end caps on Sigma's website. You can also search DT Swiss end caps conversions in images.
Good catch! Those look exactly like the adapters on the Sigma site... and it seems like they're at Chain Reaction as well. I had tried figuring out which hub those are with no luck. Hope this gets the OP rolling soon.
Old 04-29-23, 02:38 AM
Fcrean

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scampybell

Background:
WHEELS:

BIKE:

Many thanks,
hi OP,

did you manage to find suitable adapters? I have a similar issue… the Wiggle/Chain Reaction parts seem to suit the rear but not front wheels. Did you have success with both? Thanks.

Last edited by Fcrean; 04-29-23 at 02:41 AM.