Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Letting go.....

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Letting go.....

Old 12-05-22, 05:53 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 594 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Oh great.
You remind yourself what's amazing and beautiful about each of the road bikes, and then what? Buy a new shed?
😀 😃 🙂
Nah, just rearrange the 24 X 30 one I have now LOL. It's not a storage space problem, well, maybe a bit. It's an "I'm getting old and just can't get to them all." issue and my boys have zero interest in bicycles so when I go they'll all get sold for what I told my wife I paid for them!
Old 12-05-22, 07:18 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1506 Post(s)
Liked 3,452 Times in 1,128 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
...5 that stay no matter what ...
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
...Sorry guys, the Guercciotti stays, there was never any question of that...

Pretty sure most of the Raleighs will stay.....
I'll probably hang onto all the Reynolds 531 bikes/frames and my 3 current Champion No. 2 bikes...
The 1984 Focus SG-300 and RS-500 road bikes stay because who else has TWO of them LOL?...
I only have 5 vintage Mountain bikes so there's no issue there and one of those I could easily let go without a second thought and probably will.
Hmmm... A very familiar storyline here at C&V!

Brent
Old 12-05-22, 07:31 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by obrentharris
Hmmm... A very familiar storyline here at C&V!

Brent
Old 12-05-22, 09:35 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 869 Post(s)
Liked 2,263 Times in 1,267 Posts
Well let’s not get ahead of ourselves….. I have a nice sized collection and I still look at bikes for sale, although now I talk my self out of buying. I know that soon I will have to sell one (or two) to buy one, even though I have room. I really don’t want to own too many to maintain and ride on a regular basis.
Old 12-05-22, 10:06 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 329 Posts
I have way too many bikes, but I already have five picked out that I'm willing to sell. I volunteer at a local co-op and we have too much inventory so I don't want to compete with them at sale events for the next few months. Heck, I can't even really donate them because I'm currently storing extra bikes for the co-op. The bikes are not expensive enough to advertise here because you basically have to eat the packing and shipping on anything but a top tier bike (I listed two of them recently). Prices on Craigslist have plummeted recently, so not worth the hassle.

I know, first world problems, but isn't that what this site is all about?
Likes For albrt:
Old 12-05-22, 10:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
for a number of reasons I don't see letting go of the 84 miyata team....
I picked up an '83 Pro Miyata from a BFer last summer that I didn't need simply because is appeared to be top of the line version of the Fuji Pro I raced. Same setup, DTs, braze-ons but with Miyata's experience, tubing ... The top mounted SunTour DT shifters I love. Looked like "the fit" like I remember from my Fuji.

Got it, put on parts and wheels. Went for a ride. OMG! This bike is all there! An as-good-as-it-gets version of the racing bike I so loved.
Old 12-06-22, 01:03 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Been trying to shed bikes from my modestly-sized fleet, but the last half of the year has been, for all insensitive porpoises, dead. Triply so for 63cm and taller frames. Couldn't even move a modern 58cm Trek road bike with good componentry for a fair price. I'm not going to take a bath on a bike just to get it out the door, and thankfully I don't need to move the metal from a technical sense. I'd just like to be at a set number of bikes lower than what I have now, but at this rate, I may as well change a thing here and there and make them riders for me (flat pedals to clipless, adjust saddle heights, change stems, etc) and not set up to sell. Me and all my alloyed metal friends.
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 12-06-22, 05:42 AM
Murray Missile 

Hmmm, seems I'm not in a unique situation by any means. I'm not going to rush into anything but I am going to try to decide which ones I can let go the easiest and if an opportunity arises I'll take advantage. In the meantime I'll start finishing the easiest complete bikes first and work my way through to the worst. Maybe by that time they won't be so "attractive" any more. Then I'll start on the "some assembly required, batteries not included" inventory. I'm sure there will be an exception here and there but that seems like a good basic plan to start. Thanks for all the feedback, both serious and humorous, it really helped.
Old 12-06-22, 10:05 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3800 Post(s)
Liked 6,614 Times in 2,592 Posts
I own lots of bikes, which I could put into three rough categories: old British C&V bikes (the oldest is from 1949); 70s/80s road bikes almost all of which are not to original spec (some 650B conversion, others just built in a way that inspired me at the time; contemporary bikes, most of which can fit wide tires and are all-rounders. I definitely ride that last category most with probably 90% of my miles on one bike. That middle category I mostly use for commuting. It's the first group--kind of like my personal bike museum, that I'm seriously considering thinning down come spring. I might have some degree of regret, but it won't last.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 12-06-22, 04:44 PM
leftthread

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
How much time do we each have left?

Recently outlived the average life expectancy for males in my immediate family.
Then I just had to look up actuarial tables and determine best case average scenario, then reframed it in something understandable, like the lifespan of your average water heater.
I figure I got one and half water heaters left, tops.

Ride the nice stuff, people.
Likes For leftthread:
Old 12-06-22, 06:46 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1205 Post(s)
Liked 3,480 Times in 1,388 Posts
It sounds like the OP figured out their plan.

This is something that resonates among many of us, myself included. It would be good to get a plan going now, because I sincerely believe that as e-bikes become one of the most dominant forces in the biking industry, people are going to devalue human-powered bicycles (especially old, incomplete, neglected, and vintage) bikes like never before. We are just seeing the start.
Old 12-06-22, 08:15 PM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
It sounds like the OP figured out their plan.

This is something that resonates among many of us, myself included. It would be good to get a plan going now, because I sincerely believe that as e-bikes become one of the most dominant forces in the biking industry, people are going to devalue human-powered bicycles (especially old, incomplete, neglected, and vintage) bikes like never before. We are just seeing the start.
You may well be right, one local LBS is pushing E-bikes and conversions HARD! But there will always be people who will value vintage bicycles, probably not on the scale we do now but somebody will.They're too cool not to.
Old 12-06-22, 08:24 PM
albrt 

Bikes: 1964(?) Frejus Tour de France, 1967(?) Dawes Double Blue, 1979 Trek 710, 1982 Claud Butler Dalesman, 1983 Schwinn Paramount Elite, 2014 Brompton, maybe a couple more

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 329 Posts
I watch Craigslist, mainly because I sell bikes for the co-op. Volume seller prices for bikes that would have brought $100 a year ago are dropping to the $40-60 range. We have advantages in that price range - we are a charity, we sell at a location where there is a decent amount of impulse buying, and $100 is just not that much money these days. Still, I wonder about the business model if new tires go for more than a bike.
Likes For albrt: