Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist shot during morning ride

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-08, 07:17 AM
bmxdan

Bikes: windsor hour, fly bikes pantera, custom lowrider, hoffman ep flatland bike, eastern hercules.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just found out my friends dad was shot in my home town while riding.
https://www.caller.com/news/2008/jun/...ing-bike-ride/

Though it seems to be a random act of violence I do feel he was targeted because he is a cyclist. This really upsets me. I will update if anyone is captured.
Old 06-07-08, 07:19 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by the article
A local lawyer was shot in the back during his morning bike ride Thursday along Ennis Joslin.

About two hours later and about a mile away, a jogger on Ocean Drive ducked and narrowly missed getting shot.
This would seem to indicate otherwise
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 06-07-08, 08:49 AM
bmxdan

Bikes: windsor hour, fly bikes pantera, custom lowrider, hoffman ep flatland bike, eastern hercules.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber
This would seem to indicate otherwise
Yeah you are probably right. I dont know, it just really upsets me that this kind of stuff happens, it doesnt matter if it is a cyclist or a jogger or who ever.
Old 06-07-08, 02:56 PM
mike

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We had that problem in our town, so the sheriff started to jog on the trail. Sure enough, ****er took a shot at him.

I think he is still in jail.
Old 06-07-08, 03:19 PM
stevo9er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mike
We had that problem in our town, so the sheriff started to jog on the trail. Sure enough, ****er took a shot at him.

I think he is still in jail.
That is awesome.
Old 06-07-08, 05:31 PM
ATAC49er
Banned

Bikes: Pacific hardtail (frame only right now); Weyless SP (frame/fork right now); Jamis Dakar XLT 1.0 custom build-up (fully functional)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be gang initiation -- random by definition -- or it could be some sickos who just hate, and target the healthy ones out exercising "because they're there".

Sure as hell, though, that's no platform to stand on and shout "Gun control!" again.... Please. people. Another gun law is NOT going to slow down one single thug, one single criminal, one single sicko. It's already against the law to own a gun if you have a mental health history, and we know how well enforcement against felons is going. But the answer is not another law that won't/can't be enforced; rather, to enforce WITH ZEAL what we do have! (btw, I state this because of all the commentary after the article itself.)
Old 06-07-08, 05:49 PM
phinney

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Too bad nobody returned fire.
Old 06-07-08, 07:07 PM
Feathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Corpus Christi Caller-Times newspaper
Police did not release what type of gun may have been used in either shooting, citing the ongoing investigation. Attorney Jim McKibben, Hermansen's law partner of 33 years, said doctors had to remove 50 to 100 pellets during three hours of surgery. Doctors have told family members that they expect his recovery to take at least six weeks.
i'm going to go way out on a theoretical limb and perhaps guess that maybe it was a common shotgun.
Old 06-08-08, 06:02 AM
Kurt Erlenbach

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ATAC49er
Could be gang initiation -- random by definition -- or it could be some sickos who just hate, and target the healthy ones out exercising "because they're there".

Sure as hell, though, that's no platform to stand on and shout "Gun control!" again.... Please. people. Another gun law is NOT going to slow down one single thug, one single criminal, one single sicko. It's already against the law to own a gun if you have a mental health history, and we know how well enforcement against felons is going. But the answer is not another law that won't/can't be enforced; rather, to enforce WITH ZEAL what we do have! (btw, I state this because of all the commentary after the article itself.)
Yessir, I'm sure glad I live in a country where every gangbanger and headcase has the inalienable right to own a gun. Why prevent crime with strong gun control when we can just sweep up after the carnage?
Old 06-08-08, 06:36 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If the weapon used were a shotgun, we would be discussing a fatality, not the recovery of someone who had 100 pellets removed from his back. The shell used was almost certainly birdshot. The intent was probably to inflict pain rather than to kill. The weapon was probably a pistol. It would be easier to use from a car and hide again.

The NRA magazine "American Rifleman" has a full page of stories every month about ordinary citizens who saved their own lives when confronted by very bad people intent on doing great harm. These armed citizens were able to use their own guns to stop people who would have killed them. Go to this link and enter any search term like "intruder" or "carjacking." I entered "church" and got five pages of hits on bad guys who intended on doing violence in or near to houses of worship, some during the worship service. More and stronger gun control laws is a knee jerk reaction that leaves only the bad guys with guns. Citizens with concealed carry permits are among the most law-abiding of all and they function as a silent, invisible adjunct to the police. They are not a threat to the general populace, but an asset.
Old 06-08-08, 06:51 AM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
Originally Posted by twobikes
If the weapon used were a shotgun, we would be discussing a fatality, not the recovery of someone who had 100 pellets removed from his back. The shell used was almost certainly birdshot. The intent was probably to inflict pain rather than to kill. The weapon was probably a pistol. It would be easier to use from a car and hide again.

The NRA magazine "American Rifleman" has a full page of stories every month about ordinary citizens who saved their own lives when confronted by very bad people intent on doing great harm. These armed citizens were able to use their own guns to stop people who would have killed them. Go to this link and enter any search term like "intruder" or "carjacking." I entered "church" and got five pages of hits on bad guys who intended on doing violence in or near to houses of worship, some during the worship service. More and stronger gun control laws is a knee jerk reaction that leaves only the bad guys with guns. Citizens with concealed carry permits are among the most law-abiding of all and they function as a silent, invisible adjunct to the police. They are not a threat to the general populace, but an asset.
how many shot are in a pistol caliber bird shot round?
Old 06-08-08, 06:58 AM
kolarshooter
Stuck in 1990.

Bikes: 1991 Fuso FR1/full 8sp Dura-Ace STI;1989 Merckx TSX/full 8sp Campy C-Record/Chorus; 2007 Kona JTS Cyclocross bike - stock; Shoppin' for a new MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Karlenbach,

Sir, I can't speak about the country YOU come from, but in MY country (the US of A) it's already illegal for "gangbangers" and "headcases" to own firearms.

In MY country, the rights of law-abiding citizens (as well as criminals) are protected by an often-forgotten document called "The Constitution."

No sir, I wouldn't wanna live where you come from...
Old 06-08-08, 07:07 AM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kerlenbach
Yessir, I'm sure glad I live in a country where every gangbanger and headcase has the inalienable right to own a gun. Why prevent crime with strong gun control when we can just sweep up after the carnage?
You could always emigrate to a country that bans or severely restricts personal firearms. But wait, oh that's right, after these bans were implemented firearms related crimes have always gone up.
Old 06-08-08, 07:18 AM
phinney

Bikes: Schwinn Rocket 88, Schwinn Fastback, Cannondale Road Tandem, GT Timberline rigid steel mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about controlling criminals instead?
Old 06-08-08, 07:19 AM
kolarshooter
Stuck in 1990.

Bikes: 1991 Fuso FR1/full 8sp Dura-Ace STI;1989 Merckx TSX/full 8sp Campy C-Record/Chorus; 2007 Kona JTS Cyclocross bike - stock; Shoppin' for a new MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My guess (since we're all simply speculating here) would be sawed-off shotgun.

Furthermore, I'm guessing it was a twelve gauge shotgun...not because of anything in the article, but rather because it is - by far - the most commonly produced chambering of shotgun.)

If the perp fired from a distance of ...say 25 yards, the pattern would certainly be wide enough to cover the totality of an adult's back, and would likely still retain enough terminal energy to penetrate cycling clothes and skin.

As to the pistol (revolver, actually) theory...it's certainly possible. In my experience, those loads were called "Snakeshot" rounds. I doubt that a .38sp Snakeshot round has but 40-50 bb's of shot in them.
Old 06-08-08, 07:46 AM
phinney

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The .38 shotshells I use have 1/4 oz of #9 lead shot in them. That would be almost 150 pellets. They would have had to be right on top of the guy though as these won't even kill a snake at more than about 20 feet.
Old 06-08-08, 12:11 PM
Feathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
best wishes for mr. hermansen to have a full recovery.
it seems that he is in rough shape according to the article. hope he gets better.
Old 06-08-08, 12:59 PM
Tabor

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Surly Pacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by twobikes
If the weapon used were a shotgun, we would be discussing a fatality, not the recovery of someone who had 100 pellets removed from his back.
Tell that to Cheney.
Old 06-08-08, 02:27 PM
evan_phi
iPwn.

Location: Sackville (School)/Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

Bikes: 2004 Norco Wolverine (Blue) set up with Semi-Slicks. Mid-1970's Raleigh, converted to single seed, (soon to be) all white.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tabor
Tell that to Cheney.
as sad as the OP's article is... this made me laugh.
Old 06-08-08, 03:06 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Strong gun control laws will work just as well as strong drug laws.
Old 06-08-08, 03:22 PM
jgmacg

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Nice to see the "guns = peace" argument deployed so swiftly. And bolstered by no less an organ of journalistic objectivity than the NRA's own magazine. Perhaps they have some handy tips in there for riding strapped, as well.

Old 06-08-08, 03:38 PM
Darrenmc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very strong gun control up here in Toronto.... and lots of gun crime. Doesn't seem to be much "preventing of gun crime" going on up here.
Old 06-08-08, 06:22 PM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tabor
Tell that to Cheney.
The damage done by a shotgun depends (in large part) on the distance between the gun and the person shot. The incident report indicates that Mr. Whittington was 30 yards from Mr. Cheney. Ballistics tests support that assertion as consistent with the wounds Mr. Whittington sustained. Somewhere I read another account of the Corpus Christi incident in which the cyclist/lawyer was shot, and it indicated the range was much closer than that. When I took an NRA gun safety course, the instructor said he would want a shotgun for his own defense in a home invasion situation because even a shot that almost missed would be fatal.

Last edited by twobikes; 06-08-08 at 06:33 PM. Reason: use more precise wording
Old 06-08-08, 08:40 PM
Feathers

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
at close ranges a shotgun needs to be aimed since it'll hit in the area the size of a pie tin.
we all know how much foosters enjoy pie around this place!
Old 06-08-08, 09:05 PM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
"The intent was probably to inflict pain rather than to kill."

I suspect the choice of shot size was purely random, not a function of the intended degree of harm. If you don't have a clue and go to buy shotgun shells, you'll have some form of birdshot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.