Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

KTM Sorento? Help me identify this bike.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-22, 01:45 PM
grouchysmurf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Pic rel: i.imgur.com/HGF1zlr.png

This bike is for sale for like $85; the seller says "KTM Sorento" but I couldn't find anything related on the internet. Could you guys help? I would like to buy it to disassemble and reassemble it to learn the ropes in bike building and repair. Also, it would be a fine commuter for rainy days, when I keep my Fuji Touring warms and safe. Would a road handlebar fit, given the geometry? What you presume is its bottom bracket?

Thanks!
Old 07-31-22, 03:05 PM
Positron400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 118 Posts
From what I can tell, KTM is an Austrian bike brand. I would assume, if it's an older bike, that it has a square tapered spindle with a loose ball bearing and cup and cone BB. To get the crank arms off, you will need a crank arm puller. If you wanna dissasemble the BB, be prepared to use some weird/outdated tools (and for a likely stuck BB-on the drive side). Also keep in mind, that the drive side BB cup is left hand threaded and unscrews clockwise. The non-drive side is a "regular" thread, and unscrews in counter-clockwise fashion. (the way I remember it is, that both sides removed TOWARDS the front wheel)

Give it a go with road handlebars Nothing to loose really (I personally much prefer road bars nowadays compared to flat ones)
Likes For Positron400:
Old 07-31-22, 03:27 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Drop bars would require you to get correct brake and shift levers
Likes For dedhed:
Old 07-31-22, 03:52 PM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,255 Times in 1,311 Posts