Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Finding Fenders that Fit

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Finding Fenders that Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 08:15 PM
YULitle
n00b-sauce

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SL 2, Trek 1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finding Fenders that Fit

I was thinking of adding fenders to my commuter. But, it doesn't look like they would fit. It looks like they might on the rear, by going over the brakes. But, the front looks like a tight squeeze. Was might bike not meant for fenders?

Old 06-08-08, 09:42 PM
therentedmule

Bikes: Mutant Univega Vivatech

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Freddy Fenders have clip ons that may work https://ecom1.planetbike.com/fenders.html.

If you have a few bucks to blow a few check out Fast Boy Fenders https://www.fastboyfenders.com/ Check out the "sold" section for fender pix on various llow clearance bikes

There must others be some out there that mount around brakes.
Old 06-08-08, 09:49 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SKS Raceblades. They're spendy, though. I got a set and luv 'em. Others hereabouts hate 'em. Get the 18-25mm size in silver and they'll look real nice on your steed. They're available online at https://ww.bikepartsusa.com OUCH! Just checked and they have them in stock, but they're around 60.00 now for the set. I got mine a couple of years ago for 45.00 w/a bunch of other stuff, so I saved on shipping. Didn't realize they'd gone up THAT much. Maybe you can get a used set on craigslist or ebay?
Old 06-09-08, 12:03 AM
jwbnyc
Señor Wences

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This:

https://www.zefal.com/AAA/page.php?no...oute&langue=an

and this:

https://www.zefal.com/AAA/page.php?no...oute&langue=an

Croozer Road and Swan R.

They are available in sets.

Last edited by jwbnyc; 06-09-08 at 12:05 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 06-09-08, 01:35 AM
Industrial
^_^

Bikes: Cannondale System Six, Specialized FSR-XC, Specialized Langster, Univega Arrow Spot, Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's a pretty tight fit on my Univega but it fits. Looks about the same as yours if you have fender eyelets.

45mm SKS full size fenders.
Old 06-09-08, 02:07 AM
FreddyV

Bikes: Giant OCR

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If nothing else fits go for the freddy fenders grunge board.
Keeps your legs quite clean.
Old 06-09-08, 07:27 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Attach a piece of plastic or masonite to the bottom of your cargo carrier. That will take care of splash from the rear wheel. What comes from the front wheel will hit the downtube. I do not ride in much rain, but this is a variation on what I do and it keeps my back dry. After ten miles or so, my feet might get wet. Some road grime gets onto the chainrings, but it probably would, anyway.
Old 06-09-08, 11:33 AM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Raceblades only give partial protection. You'll still get spray off the front coming back on you at speed or going down hills,and spray off the rear getting into your front der and rings(and BTW,Planet Bike makes a set that are exactly the same as Race Blades for about $10-15 cheaper).

Does your bike have eyelets? If so,it looks like you'd have enough clearance for a full set of PB road fenders. You may need to make cutouts in the sides of the fenders where they meet the brake calipers. Best bet is to go to your LBS and see if a you can slide a set though the brakes. If they don't have them in stock,you could also use a set of measuring calipers and see if yo have 35mm(fender width) of clearance.

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X